Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
if you want to whine about the game there is a PGT, annoying to have to sift through irrelevant posts in this thread

anyways Jonas posted this

pretty sure he did something similar last year making the case for ROR right before we got him. Might be laying the PR groundwork here early again

Savard retained makes sense for the Leafs. He is still a top 4 defenseman, and will be available for 2 years at 1.75M with retention. He is good a babysitting a partner who likes to wander.

Unfortunately it will cost a 1st. The Tanev trade does not set the price for Savard for a couple of reasons.
Calgary had to trade Tanev, his contract was expiring and they weren't going to extend him. They also have to deal with other trades Hanefin maybe markstrom so Conroy was not going to leave everything to the last minute. Also it seems they may not have wanted to trade to Edm or to their former GM.

Hughes is not compelled to trade him now, he is still under contract for next year. Using a retention spot for 2 years has value, Mtl already used a 2024-25 spot with Petry, using one on Savard now means only one left for next year and they have expiring contracts they could want to move at next years deadline (armia, Dvorak, Evans and Savard if he is still there).

That Petry trade kind of sets a price on the value of a retention spot for 2 years. Mtl reacquired Petry, knowing they would be flipping him with retention. Pens paid a 2nd for that, plus the 4th from Det and Desmith who they ultimately got a 3rd for. Looking at it as a combined transaction. Mtl took on Pearson and gave up a retention spot in exchange for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Hughes as cultivated a reputation of not caving and getting his price, given he has no need to move Savard now he is not going to accept less than he wants to ruin that reputation for the next time. Toronto has no seconds , so any trade for Savard to Toronto will cost a 1st. Not saying it happens but that will be the cost.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dubas ain't the GM here anymore, Jonas is irrelevant to this team, his master now resides in Pittsburgh.........

cha ching, could he help, absolutely, will that contract age like milk left in the sun, absolutely..........

By the time it's rotting, the window is closed anyway.

It's so hard to get RD, I think for the next 2-3 years though he should be good.

Rielly is way better than Leddy and he won't get buried in the defensive zone as much.

Reactions: rumman

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Dubas ain't the GM here anymore, Jonas is irrelevant to this team, his master now resides in Pittsburgh.........

Jonas on Overdrive and The Leafs Report during the Dubas era - loved the Matthews/Marner contracts, loved sticking with the core, and generally had very limited criticism for any trade, signing, etc.

Treliving comes in 3 weeks before free agency and the NMCs kicking in? Jonas all of a sudden is aghast at Treliving not blowing the core up (despite having no time to do so), criticized the Matthews contract which, to be fair isn't good, but is still better value relative to what he's accomplished and who his peers are than his last contract that Jonas loved.

Can't stand the guy. To me he comes across as a stupid guy who thinks he's smart, plus had a massive Dubas bias that prevents him from reporting objectively.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
By the time it's rotting, the window is closed anyway.

It's so hard to get RD, I think for the next 2-3 years though he should be good.

Rielly is way better than Leddy and he won't get buried in the defensive zone as much.
true that, at this point I could care less if they spend what little futures they have left, this team isn't winning without help now.............

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
Could solve both the winger and center problems moving Willy to the middle. Should have been done earlier in the season.

Bert-Matty-Mitch
Domi-Willy-Jarnkrok
Knies-JT-Holmberg
McMann-Kampf-Reavo
*Robo rotates in

If we spend all the assets on Buch, and watch the D squirm all playoffs, you're still going to be hoping the stars show up for offense all the same . .

I think we're at a point where the forward group just needs to figure it out.
I honestly think that no matter who we acquire at D, the D is still going to squirm in the playoff, unless it's a player like Weegar. I always thought that the D question was an off season solution. With players like Tanev, Skjei, Pesce, and Zadorov. Why spend assets on players like Dumba, or Savard, when I can wait till the off season ( I know at the cost of this year playoff)

The reason I mention Buchnevich is that we need someone who can step in right away and be a different maker on the offense zone , defensive zone, powerplay, and penalty kill. Also, who can play top mins and is cap friendly. Buchnevich is all those thing and more. I would gladly give up 2024 first rd pk, Minten, + for Buchnevich.

Last edited:

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Someone posted earlier that perhaps the trade to make is to trade Reilly as finding a partner for someone who's supposed to be your #1 is well problematic in itself. I happen to agree after some thought into it a restructuring of the defense would be the best move and this summer may be your best time to do so. There are so many options available, Forsling, Roy, Pesce would completely change the look of the this team.

Forsling Pesce
McCabe Roy
Benoit Liljegren

Reactions: ToneDog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I honestly think that no matter who we acquire at D, the D is still going to squirm in the playoff, unless it's a player like Weegar. I always thought that the D question was an off season solution. With players like Tanev, Skjei, Pesce, and Zadorov. Why spend assets on players like Dumba, or Savard, when I can wait till the off season ( I know at the cost of this year playoff)

The reason I mention Buchnevich is that we need someone who can step in right away and be a different maker on the offense zone , defensive zone, powerplay, and penalty kill. Also, who can play top mins and is cap friendly. Buchnevich is all those thing and more. I would gladly give up 2024 first rd pk, Knies, + for Buchnevich.

Maybe get Chara out of retirement?

Offer him $5mm per round of the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

The reason I mention Buchnevich is that we need someone who can step in right away and be a different maker on the offense zone , defensive zone, powerplay, and penalty kill. Also, who can play top mins and is cap friendly. Buchnevich is all those thing and more. I would gladly give up 2024 first rd pk, Knies, + for Buchnevich.
On any given day our offense is the most potent in the league. We're also downsizing next year to fit the new contracts - with Buch we're deploying a forward group that will cost $65M next year.

On defense we have an actual hole. With a 1RD all three lines get better, and we have upgraded defence throughout the game. Same with Saros.

They may not be available but we don't have the assets to rent what is in the meantime while we wait for an opportunity.

We could bring in Buch if the plan is to give up on Bert and Domi next year but why go back to rotating players and consolidating talent.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Someone posted earlier that perhaps the trade to make is to trade Reilly as finding a partner for someone who's supposed to be your #1 is well problematic in itself. I happen to agree after some thought into it a restructuring of the defense would be the best move and this summer may be your best time to do so. There are so many options available, Forsling, Roy, Pesce would completely change the look of the this team.

Forsling Pesce
McCabe Roy
Benoit Liljegren
For a team that has struggled the most we ironically have one of the most valuable playoff players in the league at $7.5M. There is a better answer than removing that player.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We shredded Parayko both times we played STL

He's playing next to Leddy.

He actually broke up the cycle quite a bit and moved the puck up the ice

I think a lot of people liked to give him flack for that Knies goal.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Leafs cant risk taking on that Parayko contract. Unless they know they can LTIR him if it goes sideways. Definitely not worth the risk.
Yeah the upside isn't enough for the risk it presents

I'd much rather see if I can get Matt Roy in the off-season, or try to engage with MTL regarding David Savard

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
true that, at this point I could care less if they spend what little futures they have left, this team isn't winning without help now.............

Not sure they would win even with help. The core 4 are beyond help, IMO. I ain't risking giving up prime time assets for another 1st or 2nd round exit. Then your window is definitely shut for the foreseeable future.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Feels like the fix for the right side has to come in free agency, no? Pesce, Roy, Forsling, Tanev, Walker. Some some interesting options on the left side as well with Skjei and Zadorov. If Treliving can swing it, cap wise, there's some potential to rebuild the blueline in the offseason.

But for now, it's a tall order. Dumba isn't enough of an upgrade. Peeke, Mayfield, maybe Boqvist, were once interesting names, but aren't really that good. Savard might help, but I'm not really interested in paying a premium to Kent Hughes. Maybe Larsson gets pried loose, but it sounds unlikely. Don't see Nashville moving off their guys (Carrier, Fabbro) with the playoffs in the picture. Parayko and Jones have big contracts that take them into their mid-thirties, Jensen as well although the term is shorter and the cap hit smaller. Connor Murphy injured.

This is where you hope your general manager is either (a) creative and resourceful enough to go off the board and poach an unlikely nobody knows is available, or (b) is patient enough to know there is little to be gained in overpaying at the trade deadline for stopgap measures.

Last edited:
Reactions: the real Fox mulder

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Savard retained makes sense for the Leafs. He is still a top 4 defenseman, and will be available for 2 years at 1.75M with retention. He is good a babysitting a partner who likes to wander.

Unfortunately it will cost a 1st. The Tanev trade does not set the price for Savard for a couple of reasons.
Calgary had to trade Tanev, his contract was expiring and they weren't going to extend him. They also have to deal with other trades Hanefin maybe markstrom so Conroy was not going to leave everything to the last minute. Also it seems they may not have wanted to trade to Edm or to their former GM.

Hughes is not compelled to trade him now, he is still under contract for next year. Using a retention spot for 2 years has value, Mtl already used a 2024-25 spot with Petry, using one on Savard now means only one left for next year and they have expiring contracts they could want to move at next years deadline (armia, Dvorak, Evans and Savard if he is still there).

That Petry trade kind of sets a price on the value of a retention spot for 2 years. Mtl reacquired Petry, knowing they would be flipping him with retention. Pens paid a 2nd for that, plus the 4th from Det and Desmith who they ultimately got a 3rd for. Looking at it as a combined transaction. Mtl took on Pearson and gave up a retention spot in exchange for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Hughes as cultivated a reputation of not caving and getting his price, given he has no need to move Savard now he is not going to accept less than he wants to ruin that reputation for the next time. Toronto has no seconds , so any trade for Savard to Toronto will cost a 1st. Not saying it happens but that will be the cost.
If anybody was going to give a 1st for Savard they would have used it on Tanev. He is the more valuable defenseman whether Calgary had to trade him or not. Savard is only a top 4 now on a bottom 10 club like the Habs so whether Hughes needs to move him or not, he isn't very good anymore so there won't be any bidding war just like there wasn't when he was a UFA. That term works against a player who is declining. I remember how good he was in Columbus too, but that's five years ago. We'll see I guess because I was totally wrong about the Leafs having any interest in Lyubushkin too but I don't see him in Toronto. Maybe back in Tampa if they don't land Hanifin.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Feels like the fix for the right side has to come in free agency, no? Pesce, Roy, Forsling, Tanev, Walker. Some some interesting options on the left side as well with Skjei and Zadorov. If Treliving can swing it, cap wise, there's some potential to rebuild the blueline in the offseason.

But for now, it's a tall order. Dumba isn't enough of an upgrade. Peeke, Mayfield, maybe Boqvist, were once interesting names, but aren't really that good. Savard might help, but I'm not really interesting in paying a premium to Kent Hughes. Maybe Larsson gets pried loose, but it sounds unlikely. Don't see Nashville moving off their guys (Carrier, Fabbro) with the playoffs in the picture. Parayko and Jones have big contracts that take them into their mid-thirties, Jensen as well although the term is shorter and the cap hit smaller. Connor Murphy injured.

This is where you hope your general manager is either (a) creative and resourceful enough to go off the board and poach an unlikely nobody knows is available, or (b) is patient enough to know there is little to be gained in overpaying at the trade deadline for stopgap measures.

I've thought about it for a while, I love Forsling but he has to get to UFA and you gotta win the bidding war.

Of the UFA - Roy/Pesce are probably the top choices for RD but they're American, no guarantee you win.

I would like Tanev but he's 34...hard to say he's a long term solution.

None of the other guys really fix the RD problem we've had.

Weegar won't be traded here because Calgary hates Treliving

So we arrive at Parayko, and I am happy to go for it, better to know we have him now than strike out in the summer.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
If anybody was going to give a 1st for Savard they would have used it on Tanev. He is the more valuable defenseman whether Calgary had to trade him or not. Savard is only a top 4 now on a bottom 10 club like the Habs so whether Hughes needs to move him or not, he isn't very good anymore so there won't be any bidding war just like there wasn't when he was a UFA. That term works against a player who is declining. I remember how good he was in Columbus too, but that's five years ago. We'll see I guess because I was totally wrong about the Leafs having any interest in Lyubushkin too but I don't see him in Toronto. Maybe back in Tampa if they don't land Hanifin.
I doubt he (savard) gets traded but if he does it will be for a 1st or prospect that Hughes values the same as a 1st. There is no reason for Hughes to trade him for a lessor return. He still has value to them and he is not an expiring contract. Maybe for a 2nd if there is no retention and its a team with an early second. That 2nd year retention slot has too much value to use it for a lessor return

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
There’s a chance Parayko comes cheap in terms of assets. Can’t imagine many suitors for his contract.
He probably would be relatively cheap but how do you Free up the cap room both this year and next. Leafs are in LTIR so they need 6.5M in Free space. you can waive a few guys down to a 20 man roster but you have to send back salary or trade it out elsewhere. That means Domi or Brodie probably has to go out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad