Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Rielly “I thought we were streaky tonight, we gotta learn to be more consistent against good teams like this, and not take our foot off the gas”

Holy f***

You would think this was Rielly’s rookie season with quotes like this. When will this team finally end the lessons?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Yea, it is not him we should add. He has very questionable...opinions to put it politely.

Rielly “I thought we were streaky tonight, we gotta learn to be more consistent against good teams like this, and not take our foot off the gas”

Holy f***

You would think this was Rielly’s rookie season with quotes like this. When will this team finally end the lessons?
Rielly ALWAYS sucks ass after an extended period of being off-ice. He's one of my favorites and this is one thing he is consistent about but he will show up when it counts again in the playoffs. I am not too worried about him, the team as a whole though has been slipping their defensive game.

As @Fogelhund mentioned, unless they show up the next few games, Tre should stand pat unless it is a deal that is too good to pass up on.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The contract is brutal but we can work around it for one more year. Re-sign McMann on a 1 year 1-way 900k deal. Have a third line of Knies - Tavares - McMann. Total salary of that third line would be 12.8 million, not terrible. There’s a lot of other dead weight. I like Domi, he’s extremely talented and probably on Marner level when it comes to passing but his defensive game creates such a hole. 2.4 million in Kampf as a 4th line center is awful as well.

Does it really matter when the 3 amigos play like they did like they did last night in big games? JT's contract is an anchor and you can keep changing the surrounding cast, but this team will only go as far as the greedy 3 will take them. And so far, it has not been very far.

It's probably not going to happen, more me wishing out loud.

In terms of making it work, you probably need to trim all the fat such as Kampf, Reaves and Timmins.

I still find having him around makes it pretty difficult to go all out to fix defense and just really bolster the team's depth.

At 11M, he's a middle 6 forward...and I just kind of want to turn the page on the guy, doesn't have it.

Reactions: ToneDog

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The thing is that he has term.

I think Savard 50% retained is quite easily a first.
Tanev is the RD clubs were lined up for and he got a 2nd and a player taken with a second, plus they gave retention. Savard would be worth substantially less. I hope they spend their 1st for a legit D like Walker or go with a cheaper bandaid. I don't think Savard has much left to offer except on 3rd paring and thats not what they need.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It's probably not going to happen, more me wishing out loud.

In terms of making it work, you probably need to trim all the fat such as Kampf, Reaves and Timmins.

I still find having him around makes it pretty difficult to go all out to fix defense and just really bolster the team's depth.

At 11M, he's a middle 6 forward...and I just kind of want to turn the page on the guy, doesn't have it.

Tavares contract isn’t an insurmountable issue, it just leave little room for error.

You can’t have Bertuzzi underperform at 5.5, Kampf at 2.4, etc.

Reactions: kb and uncleben

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I think Treliving does a forward + a defenseman type of deal. Like a Sean walker + Scott Laughton type of deal. Treliving needs to make a move that impact this season and next.
Teams don't generally seem to do that very often. That is just a Kyle Dubas thing. Possibly because he can only trade with a handful of teams, so he has to load up from said teams.

horner

May 22, 2007
I think Treliving does a forward + a defenseman type of deal. Like a Sean walker + Scott Laughton type of deal. Treliving needs to make a move that impact this season and next.
Why did you not witness our core
If they don't bring there A game then we ate finished.

We keep bringing in players for them
It hasn't worked

We aren't beating Boston or Florida

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Fitzgerald had an interesting media availability on Devils problems etc

“(Accountability) isn’t always taking a kid and sitting his ass on the bench.”- GM Tom Fitzgerald

Don't think he liked Lindy's approach favoring vets over kids. Everyone should be accountable.

`Our goaltending has not been good enough,'' Fitzgerald said as he confirms his efforts in upgrading there before Friday's deadline (although could also be a summer trade)

I think it's best to be transparent on your problems. The goaltending falls on Fitz & I think he's wearing it now but will fix it.

I think someone in organization, probably behind closed doors needs to pull JT, Rielly, Marner, Matthews and Nylander aside and say "Enough with the lessons/learning bullshit - be better, it's not your first year."

That probably falls on Treliving because Shanahan has no balls.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
We seem to be opening up more needs than we fulfill at an alarming rate...
That's not necessarily true. People have been saying all year that Knies is a hole on that line. He's not ready for it.

Brodie and Tavares have been a hole for two years.

Liljegren is pretty much always a hole, although he has 6 game spurts of being effective.

Goaltending has never really been addressed

Reactions: Duffman955

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
It looks like a winger at the deadline is also becoming a need.
They need to move Knies down the lineup.
Could solve both the winger and center problems moving Willy to the middle. Should have been done earlier in the season.

Bert-Matty-Mitch
Domi-Willy-Jarnkrok
Knies-JT-Holmberg
McMann-Kampf-Reavo
*Robo rotates in

I think we should break the bank for Pavel Buchnevich.
If we spend all the assets on Buch, and watch the D squirm all playoffs, you're still going to be hoping the stars show up for offense all the same . .

I think we're at a point where the forward group just needs to figure it out.

Reactions: supermann_98

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
If Jonas is setting something like this with this PR stuff then expect the first round pick to be gone. Treliving is going to do something. I know it’s only one game but last night was very similar to how it’s looked in the playoffs against Boston. But the focus should not 100% be on trades. This core group HAS to figure it out

I wouldn’t mind Savard. But why get Lyubushkin then? Also if we trade a 1st for Savard I think I would puke.
Get the bucket ready

Reactions: CDN24

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
That's not necessarily true. People have been saying all year that Knies is a hole on that line. He's not ready for it.

Brodie and Tavares have been a hole for two years.

Liljegren is pretty much always a hole, although he has 6 game spurts of being effective.

Goaltending has never really been addressed
Well you're not exactly wrong, though I think we were hoping to have those questions addressed internally during the season.

The ebb and flow has given us some positive answers and some negative.... but as we close in on the deadline I fear the availability of both trade chips and trade targets are just not there to fill it.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
If Jonas is setting something like this with this PR stuff then expect the first round pick to be gone. Treliving is going to do something. I know it’s only one game but last night was very similar to how it’s looked in the playoffs against Boston. But the focus should not 100% be on trades. This core group HAS to figure it out

Get the bucket ready

Oh boy.

If the 1st goes for Savard we had better get retention and another piece with.

We aren't going to hear the end of this one....

I think the more tactical move might be hang on to the pick and see what the trade market looks like at the draft but I understand you only get so many shots at this. I just don't see a trade right now that puts us over the top....

I wouldn’t mind Savard. But why get Lyubushkin then? Also if we trade a 1st for Savard I think I would puke.

Honestly?

Boosh might end up a Lily replacement come playoffs.

I like Timmy a lot but he really struggles net front. That can be killer in the playoffs when the rules are made up.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I’m not sure if this has been mentioned in here or not but Arpon Basu put in his article that Leafs Assitant GM Ryan Hardy has been scouting a few Canadiens games of late.

Reactions: Menzinger and Guess

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Give me Parayko over Savard, Bogosian and Dumba.

I'd love Roy but it doesn't help right now and no guarantee you get him in the off-season.

1709661530113.png

YES GUY

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I’m not sure if this has been mentioned in here or not but Arpon Basu put in his article that Leafs Assitant GM Ryan Hardy has been scouting a few Canadiens games of late.
Dont we face them this saturday?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I could see Savard being acquired with retention for the first round pick. It feels like a Leafs trade. I'm not sure having Savard next season would such a great thing, but I guess if he comes at half price it can work.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
if you want to whine about the game there is a PGT, annoying to have to sift through irrelevant posts in this thread

anyways Jonas posted this

pretty sure he did something similar last year making the case for ROR right before we got him. Might be laying the PR groundwork here early again

Dubas ain't the GM here anymore, Jonas is irrelevant to this team, his master now resides in Pittsburgh.........

Give me Parayko over Savard, Bogosian and Dumba.

I'd love Roy but it doesn't help right now and no guarantee you get him in the off-season.

View attachment 829781

YES GUY
cha ching, could he help, absolutely, will that contract age like milk left in the sun, absolutely..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad