Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
That's still just one guy's opinion and it doesn't mean he's right.

Some scout in Ottawa decided to draft Tyler Boucher in the top 10, when he was projected to likely go in the 2nd round. He went on to be under ppg in the OHL and has 5 pts in 21 games in the AHL this year.

A scout in Boston decided they should draft Zach Senyshen at 15 overall ahead of Barzal, Connor and Chabot. He was projected to go 3rd round.

I mean.... a bottom six D? There are only six D... so a bottom six, would be the same as the top six. :laugh:

Seriously though, Niemela is better than I thought, after watching him the last few games. I really like how he closes down on the opposition, and smothers them, as they enter the zone. That being said, how much of what he brings to the table, do you need, or should you have in the lineup? Hopefully Lilly continues to grow, and with Rielly and Lilly in the lineup, I'd argue you don't want Niemela, unless he becomes better than either of those two, which is to me unlikely.

I'd move Niemela in a package that brings in a guy who can play with Mo, on a contract that has term, and allows us to continue to build the backend up.

No arguments on the others really.. but if Cowan and Minten work out, as well as the Russian, I think we are in ok for a few years, and have time to rebuild the prospect pool. That is, as long as we don't move out some of the guys we have now.
Unfortunately for the two of you, the word of the scout and JD Bunkis are gospel around here.

There is no hope.

Reactions: kb

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't see them messing with their core group. Lundell has not built on that great rookie year at all and with no 1sts till 2026 the Panthers don't have much else to offer. They have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. Lundell, Samoskevitch and a pick along with another Florida roster D to help make the money work.? Hard to see how they have the inside track but if the Flames think they are getting the Lundell of 2 years ago maybe.

I'm sure Flames are aware of Lundell's Robertson season to date.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Feeling very cynical about Dubas' time here. Contracts were terrible, losing Hyman, McCann, and Kadri were terrible.

One of his best moves was undoing his mistake by trading Mrazek. Signing Bunting is likely his gold Medal. A ton of surplus value for 2 years at league minimum

That Murray signing could've sunk this season

If Dubas did nothing and just re-signed who we had and skipped every big trade he made, would those seasons have all had better results?

I'm being difficult and unreasonable but seriously....he hit on a lot of low risk moves and missed on the big ones.
Dubas is a great assistant GM. He makes really good under the radar moves. It's the bigger moves that have people clenching their butt cheeks in anxiety.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
But why is Seattle trading him? He is on a good contract and presumably they want to try to make the playoffs next season.
Bottom five team offensively, is going to need to make some changes up front in the offseason, to get back to the playoffs.

Their current top C in points is Wennberg, with 25 points in 59 games. That's atrocious. On top of that, he's a UFA and likely to go elsewhere, as they upgrade.

Beniers should be good, but he's having a bad year.
Shane Wright never likely reaches what they'd hoped for.

Seattle will likely need to throw some big money around, to get the best C that comes onto free agency, if they even think they have a chance at that post season.

I'm not saying it's Borgen that they move, but I bet them move one of the D, so that they can bring in more offense.

Reactions: nuck

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'm sure Flames are aware of Lundell's Robertson season to date.
I meant if they think the rookie year is the accurate representation vs judging the player based too much on this season. He wouldn't be the first 40 point rookie not to build on that. And Lundell wishes he was having Robbys current season. But he is a full time center too.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Unfortunately for the two of you, the word of the scout and JD Bunkis are gospel around here.

There is no hope.

:popcorn:

I'm sure you read the whoopsie about Cowan the other day.

They probably watched the wrong Easton Cowan ...

Of course everyone knows once the pick is spent it's mostly irrelevant except for the extra opportunities 1st. rounders get to try and save face.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I find it funny that we get laughed off on the main boards for wanting a solid top 4 guy to play with Rielly, for seemingly not having enough assets, but Florida, with a worse prospect pool and draft cupboard, can seemingly get the best player on the market and nobody bats an eye.
Alot of it is weather and taxes based lol

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Bottom five team offensively, is going to need to make some changes up front in the offseason, to get back to the playoffs.

Their current top C in points is Wennberg, with 25 points in 59 games. That's atrocious. On top of that, he's a UFA and likely to go elsewhere, as they upgrade.

Beniers should be good, but he's having a bad year.
Shane Wright never likely reaches what they'd hoped for.

Seattle will likely need to throw some big money around, to get the best C that comes onto free agency, if they even think they have a chance at that post season.

I'm not saying it's Borgen that they move, but I bet them move one of the D, so that they can bring in more offense.
I don't think they move Larsson or Oleksiak. Dunn is their offensive catalyst. At this point Borgen still isn't 18:00 a night and he wasn't a big part of their 100pt lineup so if he is getable thats why and it probably needs to be now before he becomes a bigger part of their team. Just need them to lose a couple in a row and they will start to really look.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Alot of it is weather and taxes based lol
Yeah but that doesn’t turn Calgary on lol outside of Lundell WTF does Florida have to trade? They have less assets than the Leafs do and we’re reminded everyday on the main boards how much our prospect pool sucks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I find it funny that we get laughed off on the main boards for wanting a solid top 4 guy to play with Rielly, for seemingly not having enough assets, but Florida, with a worse prospect pool and draft cupboard, can seemingly get the best player on the market and nobody bats an eye.
They have Lundell who is a good yoyng player.

Better asset than Knies who they probably would put on the table while we cant deal Knies due to our lack of LW depth

Lundell + Samsokovoch is similar offer to Knies + Cowan

Lundell is a bit better than Knies and higher ceiling

Cowan is the better prospect vs Samsokovich and higher potential

Panthers are trying to win. They have less holes than us and are confident after last years final run

They could afford the Lundell + Samsokovich for extended Hanafin deal

We cant part with Knies + Cowan for extended hanafin

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
It’s scary Friedman mentions Dumba with the Leafs. Only way I could somewhat accept a trade with him is if Bjugstad is part of a trade

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Once Arizona realizes they aren’t getting a 1st, I wouldn’t mind trading the Isles 3rd and a later pick for Dumba. Can play top 4 minutes and right handed shot

Rielly-Dumba
McCabe-Liljegren
Brodie-Lyubushkin
Giordano-Benoit

And keep your first.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Once Arizona realizes they aren’t getting a 1st, I wouldn’t mind trading the Isles 3rd and a later pick for Dumba. Can play top 4 minutes and right handed shot

Rielly-Dumba
McCabe-Liljegren
Brodie-Lyubushkin
Giordano-Benoit

And keep your first.
None of those pairings look like they could stop a cycle.

And after how well Benoit has been doing, you want to take him out?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It’s scary Friedman mentions Dumba with the Leafs. Only way I could somewhat accept a trade with him is if Bjugstad is part of a trade

Might have been before the Lyubushkin move. I don't see how it makes any sense anymore. They'll need to retain and we're running out of picks.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Dubas is a great assistant GM. He makes really good under the radar moves. It's the bigger moves that have people clenching their butt cheeks in anxiety.
Yep. The only major move where we can say he crushed it was acquiring Muzzin. We paid for it but he played like a #1D for years.

The Nylander contract was the major win of his contracts and even that was MANGLED on year 1.

I will also give credit that early returns on Rielly are very positive.

The rest are unprecedented and poor

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Dumba doesn’t really make sense.

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

I wouldn’t sit either Lyubushkin or Benoit for Dumba…

Unless you can upgrade on either Brodie or Liljegren, don’t see any moves happening on the blueline anymore.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
It honestly doesn’t make sense unless a guy like Liljegren or Benoit are part of another deal. Dumba doesn’t fit here.. just posting what Friedman said earlier

Reactions: TMLAM34

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What are your thoughts on Nick Bjugstad? The talking heads were talking about getting him from Arizona about a bigger, more skilled replacement for Kampf.

I'd even consider rolling a bottom six with Bjugstad and Kampf at 3C and 4C. Edmonton loaded up with him last year... but he's never really been effective in the NHL. Sounds ok on paper though.

He's been on my radar for the Leafs for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad