Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
11.5-11.75 should be where we see Marner fall this summer. It should not be a hard deal to make with the Nylander/Petterson contracts coming back to back.
Nah this is Toronto. The cap is apparantly going to cup again so Marner's probably wanting league max for 4 years.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Nic Dowd from Washington anyone?

Solid 3C who makes $1.3m for another year who shouldn’t cost tha much to acquire, who plays sound defensively and plays playoff style hockey all season.

Makes it easy to move Kampf while getting some cap back as well as draft capital.

Guy plays hard and hard to play against, and cheaper to get than Henrique and some of the other names out there.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Feeling very cynical about Dubas' time here. Contracts were terrible, losing Hyman, McCann, and Kadri were terrible.

One of his best moves was undoing his mistake by trading Mrazek. Signing Bunting is likely his gold Medal. A ton of surplus value for 2 years at league minimum

That Murray signing could've sunk this season

If Dubas did nothing and just re-signed who we had and skipped every big trade he made, would those seasons have all had better results?

I'm being difficult and unreasonable but seriously....he hit on a lot of low risk moves and missed on the big ones.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Feeling very cynical about Dubas' time here. Contracts were terrible, losing Hyman, McCann, and Kadri were terrible.

His best move was undoing his mistake trading Mrazek.

That Murray signing could've sunk this season

If Dubas did nothing and just re-signed who we had and skipped every big trade he made, would those seasons have all had better results?

I'm being difficult and unreasonable but seriously....he hit on a lot of low risk moves and missed on the big ones.
He failed at so many things, and complete blind spots on goalies and RHD.

Only knew how to draft forwards of the same ilk, with most being no brainers.

It was obvious he had no idea about players passing the eyetest and stuck to the stats, as well as no idea how to put together a well rounded team.

All skill and no/cheap will, all while learning on the job and hiring a no NHL experience head coach to come along for the ride.

He was pretty good at spotting some under the radar talent, but nothing were significant entries make up for the overalls shortcomings throughout the roster.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nic Dowd from Washington anyone?

Solid 3C who makes $1.3m for another year who shouldn’t cost tha much to acquire, who plays sound defensively and plays playoff style hockey all season.

Makes it easy to move Kampf while getting some cap back as well as draft capital.

Guy plays hard and hard to play against, and cheaper to get than Henrique and some of the other names out there.

Leafs also showed interest in Edmundson. Leafs have a crowded roster but I could see something there if the Caps don't want a lot for both or either.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

This would make Florida incredibly tough to play against this playoffs. This also likely means that Florida would extend only one of Hanifin or Forsling. If Forsling became available, that should be of interest to us as a UFA.

I don't know what he's looking for, but we could probably do $6 mil for him, even if we pick up a RD this trade deadline, who has term around $4 mil.

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
That's fine, but I'm speaking to their perceived value in the marketplace and it does matter, in fact it's all that matters. If you want to in house believe Steeves is a comer, great, but as trade bait he's hardly anything.

He was talking about around the league perspective of the players. If you choose to ignore that, have at it, doesn't change the value in the real world. Every analysis of our prospect pool puts us near the bottom of the league now, I don't know why anyone would push back with the above snark.
That's still just one guy's opinion and it doesn't mean he's right.

Some scout in Ottawa decided to draft Tyler Boucher in the top 10, when he was projected to likely go in the 2nd round. He went on to be under ppg in the OHL and has 5 pts in 21 games in the AHL this year.

A scout in Boston decided they should draft Zach Senyshen at 15 overall ahead of Barzal, Connor and Chabot. He was projected to go 3rd round.

Reactions: LeafChief

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Bunkis had a former pro scout on, he said Niemala projects to be a bottom six, smallish D man at best. He isn't an A prospect, so to me he's a small sweetener on a deal, but not a key piece people keep putting into deals. Basically the scout said we have an untouchable in Cowan, a 2.5 C in Minten and an intriguing prospect in Russia and Chadwick is showing some promise. Our prospect pool is one of the worst in the league, as is our picks available, so we aren't exactly in a position of strength here.

I mean.... a bottom six D? There are only six D... so a bottom six, would be the same as the top six. :laugh:

Seriously though, Niemela is better than I thought, after watching him the last few games. I really like how he closes down on the opposition, and smothers them, as they enter the zone. That being said, how much of what he brings to the table, do you need, or should you have in the lineup? Hopefully Lilly continues to grow, and with Rielly and Lilly in the lineup, I'd argue you don't want Niemela, unless he becomes better than either of those two, which is to me unlikely.

I'd move Niemela in a package that brings in a guy who can play with Mo, on a contract that has term, and allows us to continue to build the backend up.

No arguments on the others really.. but if Cowan and Minten work out, as well as the Russian, I think we are in ok for a few years, and have time to rebuild the prospect pool. That is, as long as we don't move out some of the guys we have now.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
""

This would make Florida incredibly tough to play against this playoffs. This also likely means that Florida would extend only one of Hanifin or Forsling. If Forsling became available, that should be of interest to us as a UFA.

I don't know what he's looking for, but we could probably do $6 mil for him, even if we pick up a RD this trade deadline, who has term around $4 mil.

Not that worried to be honest, plus I wonder with what assets?

They will have to trade from their team.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
""

I don't think Florida would be able to sign Montour and Forsling, and of the two I imagine they would prefer Montour. Forsling would make me a bit cautious in terms of an expensive long-term deal. I get that he has been good in Florida, but I'm not sure I would want to be married to the guy on a 7 year deal.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not that worried to be honest, plus I wonder with what assets?

They will have to trade from their team.
Lundell + Forsling maybe.... Helps Calgary in not needing to rebuild, and potentially gives them compete now assets.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
""

Hanifin added to the Panthers?

Panthers don't have a 1st.

So two of their best prospects along with 3rd. and 4th. rounders?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That's still just one guy's opinion and it doesn't mean he's right.

Some scout in Ottawa decided to draft Tyler Boucher in the top 10, when he was projected to likely go in the 2nd round. He went on to be under ppg in the OHL and has 5 pts in 21 games in the AHL this year.

A scout in Boston decided they should draft Zach Senyshen at 15 overall ahead of Barzal, Connor and Chabot. He was projected to go 3rd round.
Are you even reading what I'm saying? I'm talking about the perceived trade value of our prospects around the league, what you're talking about has zero to do with that. It isn't "one guy's opinion", we aren't getting a good player for B level prospects, no matter your personal belief of what they might become. He was talking about how the Leafs prospects are perceived, he isn't in a vacuum, that's something we hear from virtually everyone. So our prospect pool is really top 10 in the league, they're all wrong and Steeves and Niemala will bring a top 4 D?

I mean.... a bottom six D? There are only six D... so a bottom six, would be the same as the top six. :laugh:

Seriously though, Niemela is better than I thought, after watching him the last few games. I really like how he closes down on the opposition, and smothers them, as they enter the zone. That being said, how much of what he brings to the table, do you need, or should you have in the lineup? Hopefully Lilly continues to grow, and with Rielly and Lilly in the lineup, I'd argue you don't want Niemela, unless he becomes better than either of those two, which is to me unlikely.

I'd move Niemela in a package that brings in a guy who can play with Mo, on a contract that has term, and allows us to continue to build the backend up.

No arguments on the others really.. but if Cowan and Minten work out, as well as the Russian, I think we are in ok for a few years, and have time to rebuild the prospect pool. That is, as long as we don't move out some of the guys we have now.
Bottom pair. Sure it's great to like what you've seen, but what I'm speaking to is what he would return, he's isn't a "blue chip" more of a project player that could work out, so maybe more value seeing what we have here internally than expecting him to be an attractive get for another team. He's a "sweetener" right now.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't think Florida would be able to sign Montour and Forsling, and of the two I imagine they would prefer Montour. Forsling would make me a bit cautious in terms of an expensive long-term deal. I get that he has been good in Florida, but I'm not sure I would want to be married to the guy on a 7 year deal.
I think Ekblad could be the odd man out. The way they talk on the Florida board they were probably going to move on from one of their top 3 defenders even before Hanifin came into the picture and Ek is not loved that much any more at $7.5AAV.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Brodie and a 1st. for Ekblad.

Won't even ask for retention.

This deal isn't happening until the offseason and only after Florida signed the D they want to keep... and they'd have Forsling, Montour, Hanifin and OEL to sign. That's a pretty tall order, and they couldn't risk moving Ekblad, until they already had those guys pen to paper.

So we wouldn't have Brodie, nor the 1st at that point.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't think Panthers would send their #2 ice time defender back.
Risk that Hanifin doesn't mesh at the top.

Is Lundell's value a 1st. round pick?

Flames after 1st., 1st. value player, and minor assets for Hanifim.
I don't see them messing with their core group. Lundell has not built on that great rookie year at all and with no 1sts till 2026 the Panthers don't have much else to offer. They have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. Lundell, Samoskevitch and a pick along with another Florida roster D to help make the money work.? Hard to see how they have the inside track but if the Flames think they are getting the Lundell of 2 years ago maybe.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I would be surprised if Hanifin ends up in Florida at the deadline (but I could see him signing there in the summer if the money is available).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This deal isn't happening until the offseason and only after Florida signed the D they want to keep... and they'd have Forsling, Montour, Hanifin and OEL to sign. That's a pretty tall order, and they couldn't risk moving Ekblad, until they already had those guys pen to paper.

So we wouldn't have Brodie, nor the 1st at that point.

Isn't happening ever.

Just wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad