Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The suspicious nature surrounding Lilys absence sounds like hes being held out of the lineup in case hes dealt. We'll see.
My take is he’s still dealing with the high ankle sprain, definitely a injury hard to rehab, hope he didn’t come back too early and therefore set himself back…….

Reactions: Zero1 and BM14

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Anyway, after right-shooting shot-blocking D-man Chris Tanev got traded to the Dallas Stars, the Toronto Maple Leafs traded for right-shooting shot-blocking D-man Ilya Lyubushkin.

It’s technically what they wanted, but yeah … maybe not exactly what they had in mind?

My understanding is that post-Tanev, the Leafs biggest concern wasn’t just how thin the market was for the type of player they were looking for, but also how many teams were coveting players like that, and so there was some fear of missing out on a solution entirely.
While I’ve been banging the drum for a name like Will Borgen, the Seattle Kraken won on Thursday, and fringe playoff teams (who hope to be better next year) rarely trade good young players, if ever. If you wait too long for the best-case-scenario version of what you need, you may end up not eating McDonald's or even knock-off McDonald's, but rather, going hungry.

The good news is, that by trading a future third (2025) and this year’s sixth rounder, they go so much salary retention on an already cheap player that if the opportunity comes to splurge, they can still afford to fit more money in with just a little creativity.

So about that splurging. Is it going to happen? Just one week from deadline day, what does the Lyubushkin addition tell us about the Leafs' next steps?

There will indeed be a push

The Leafs' success the past couple weeks made this a no-brainer, but a move a week out hints at a team that recognizes it has multiple deficiencies and wants to patch as many holes as possible. It feels very likely, at this point, that the Leafs are still two new bodies away from being done their roster tweak. And I’m not including the return of Calle Jarnkrok there.

With the addition of Lyubushkin…

They can go bigger up front

Were the Leafs not able to add anyone else on D, it wouldn’t be great, but you can at least see a passable six-man group. And so one of the ways to find value at the deadline is to leave the pond where 10 teams are fishing for a limited amount of fish and go elsewhere.

If the Leafs were to change their focus to fixing up their forward group, at least there are genuine solutions out there. Adam Henrique as a 2C would instantly change the look of the group, and there are bigger names yet. Pavel Buchnevich is a point-per-game winger the past three years in St. Louis, he’s big, just 28, and on a reasonable deal this year and next.

If nothing else, there are far more forwards who you’d look at and say “that would actually really help the Leafs.”

Reactions: PromisedLand

stats1

Jul 22, 2022

Anyway, after right-shooting shot-blocking D-man Chris Tanev got traded to the Dallas Stars, the Toronto Maple Leafs traded for right-shooting shot-blocking D-man Ilya Lyubushkin.

It’s technically what they wanted, but yeah … maybe not exactly what they had in mind?

My understanding is that post-Tanev, the Leafs biggest concern wasn’t just how thin the market was for the type of player they were looking for, but also how many teams were coveting players like that, and so there was some fear of missing out on a solution entirely.
While I’ve been banging the drum for a name like Will Borgen, the Seattle Kraken won on Thursday, and fringe playoff teams (who hope to be better next year) rarely trade good young players, if ever. If you wait too long for the best-case-scenario version of what you need, you may end up not eating McDonald's or even knock-off McDonald's, but rather, going hungry.

The good news is, that by trading a future third (2025) and this year’s sixth rounder, they go so much salary retention on an already cheap player that if the opportunity comes to splurge, they can still afford to fit more money in with just a little creativity.

So about that splurging. Is it going to happen? Just one week from deadline day, what does the Lyubushkin addition tell us about the Leafs' next steps?

There will indeed be a push

The Leafs' success the past couple weeks made this a no-brainer, but a move a week out hints at a team that recognizes it has multiple deficiencies and wants to patch as many holes as possible. It feels very likely, at this point, that the Leafs are still two new bodies away from being done their roster tweak. And I’m not including the return of Calle Jarnkrok there.

With the addition of Lyubushkin…

They can go bigger up front

Were the Leafs not able to add anyone else on D, it wouldn’t be great, but you can at least see a passable six-man group. And so one of the ways to find value at the deadline is to leave the pond where 10 teams are fishing for a limited amount of fish and go elsewhere.

If the Leafs were to change their focus to fixing up their forward group, at least there are genuine solutions out there. Adam Henrique as a 2C would instantly change the look of the group, and there are bigger names yet. Pavel Buchnevich is a point-per-game winger the past three years in St. Louis, he’s big, just 28, and on a reasonable deal this year and next.

If nothing else, there are far more forwards who you’d look at and say “that would actually really help the Leafs.”
Man Buchnevich here would be next level. Who’s stopping that forward group? Our issue in the playoffs is puck movement from the D and scoring surprisingly. Our PP dies in the playoffs Buch could really help that out

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Man Buchnevich here would be next level. Who’s stopping that forward group? Our issue in the playoffs is puck movement from the D and scoring surprisingly. Our PP dies in the playoffs Buch could really help that out
Given that he has a year left on his deal, I would imagine the price tag to acquire him is pretty high.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Ohh for sure. First, Niemala + ?
I think it might take a better prospect. Obviously it depends on what else is being offered. Assuming no retention by St. Louis, some salary would also have to go back, so you probably start with the first round pick, Robertson, another guy for salary purposes, and a prospect.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

So Very Frustrated

May 7, 2023
IMO, with the acquisition of Boosh, the leafs will now be rolling out two league average second pairings (Reilly/ Boosh and Brodie/ McCabe) and an above average third pairing ( Lily/ Benoit). No first pairing. Overall D is slightly better defensively than league average but worse offensively. Admittedly, it’s great to see them roll out a tough d on each pairing. My concern is that I expect like others do that Boston will acquire Hanifan. We will likely be facing them in the first round and they don’t scare me now but with Hanifan they will have an absolutely sick d corps on top of great goaltending. I would also expect them to acquire an impact forward like Henrique. IMO, we need to be prepared to trade our first for an impact forward or d to keep pace and I like Henrique. Tought to figure out who sits though.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
IMO, with the acquisition of Boosh, the leafs will now be rolling out two league average second pairings (Reilly/ Boosh and Brodie/ McCabe) and an above average third pairing ( Lily/ Benoit). No first pairing. Overall D is slightly better defensively than league average but worse offensively. Admittedly, it’s great to see them roll out a tough d on each pairing. My concern is that I expect like others do that Boston will acquire Hanifan. We will likely be facing them in the first round and they don’t scare me now but with Hanifan they will have an absolutely sick d corps on top of great goaltending. I would also expect them to acquire an impact forward like Henrique. IMO, we need to be prepared to trade our first for an impact forward or d to keep pace and I like Henrique. Tought to figure out who sits though.
It's going to be brodie Liljegren, that pairing looked terrific together

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Focus on defense. I don’t think we need much more forward depth. Especially since Bertuzzi and to a lesser extent Domi have found their scoring touch.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Peeke is another RHD available. 6ft3, can clear the crease, Davidson was watching the Marlies play Cleveland… where there’s smoke.

I don't see it. Where does he play? And no, Brodie isn't going anywhere.

I would love to make a pitch for Jiricek though if there's still some issues there.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Bunkis had a former pro scout on, he said Niemala projects to be a bottom six, smallish D man at best. He isn't an A prospect, so to me he's a small sweetener on a deal, but not a key piece people keep putting into deals. Basically the scout said we have an untouchable in Cowan, a 2.5 C in Minten and an intriguing prospect in Russia and Chadwick is showing some promise. Our prospect pool is one of the worst in the league, as is our picks available, so we aren't exactly in a position of strength here.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Bunkis had a former pro scout on, he said Niemala projects to be a bottom six, smallish D man at best. He isn't an A prospect, so to me he's a small sweetener on a deal, but not a key piece people keep putting into deals. Basically the scout said we have an untouchable in Cowan, a 2.5 C in Minten and an intriguing prospect in Russia and Chadwick is showing some promise. Our prospect pool is one of the worst in the league, as is our picks available, so we aren't exactly in a position of strength here.
Well if the scout that JD Bunkis had on his podcast said it, it must be true.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I kind of take these scouts opinions with a grain of salt, some of these kids are so far out that you can’t really tell how they’re going to pan out. A guy like Martin St. Louis was projected to be a nobody and he’s a Hall of Famer. Honestly no one knows how a kid like Chadwick is going to turn out.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
A thought to consider. If we acquire let's say another player who is slightly above replacement level, has term, and makes 4.5M - won't that effectively close the door on re-signing Bertuzzi?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I kind of take these scouts opinions with a grain of salt, some of these kids are so far out that you can’t really tell how they’re going to pan out. A guy like Martin St. Louis was projected to be a nobody and he’s a Hall of Famer. Honestly no one knows how a kid like Chadwick is going to turn out.
That's fine, but I'm speaking to their perceived value in the marketplace and it does matter, in fact it's all that matters. If you want to in house believe Steeves is a comer, great, but as trade bait he's hardly anything.

Well if the scout that JD Bunkis had on his podcast said it, it must be true.
He was talking about around the league perspective of the players. If you choose to ignore that, have at it, doesn't change the value in the real world. Every analysis of our prospect pool puts us near the bottom of the league now, I don't know why anyone would push back with the above snark.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think at this point, I look at acquiring Crouse. It’ll take an overpayment but I think a player like him would put us right there with teams like Florida and Boston when it comes to grittiness.

Crouse - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - McMann
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Holmberg
Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Woll - Samsonov

Not sure what it would take to acquire Crouse but it probably starts with our 1st, Robertson and Niemela.

Reactions: rumman

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I think at this point, I look at acquiring Crouse. It’ll take an overpayment but I think a player like him would put us right there with teams like Florida and Boston when it comes to grittiness.

Crouse - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Domi - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - McMann
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Holmberg
Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Woll - Samsonov

Not sure what it would take to acquire Crouse but it probably starts with our 1st, Robertson and Niemela.
I’m just not sure what Crouse does to move the needle.

Reactions: Rude Dog and horner

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I keep trying to tell people that. We may have 5 NHLers and with our cap we need young and cheap guys.I don't think we have the pieces. We are weak at C with an aging Tavares so Minten won't go. Niemela is worth a 3rd and isn't that sexy. We basically have a first and Robertson to trade. Tre will get another dman and be outbid for anything good.

He allows you to go physical but will cost too much. We need a top 4 dman more.

Reactions: horner and Budz

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
That's fine, but I'm speaking to their perceived value in the marketplace and it does matter, in fact it's all that matters. If you want to in house believe Steeves is a comer, great, but as trade bait he's hardly anything.

He was talking about around the league perspective of the players. If you choose to ignore that, have at it, doesn't change the value in the real world. Every analysis of our prospect pool puts us near the bottom of the league now, I don't know why anyone would push back with the above snark.
Like I said - if he said it, it must be true!

Media pundits and 'scouts' have never gotten it wrong. In fact, whenever they post their top prospect rankings, they are always very correct!

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Big, physical, can drop the gloves. Plays well at both ends of the ice. Drives to the net and can get you those greasy goals. Skates well for his size and plays with energy. Not to mention he’s still only 26.

A move like this would remind me of when Florida acquired Bennett and how well that has turned out for them. Lots of people laughed at the price Florida paid at the time but looking back I think everyone would do that deal all over again.

Reactions: rumman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad