Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nick Jensen (50% retained - 2.025M per for 3 years) + 2024 4th rd. Pick

for

Conor Timmins + 2024 1st rd. Pick (Top-10 Protected)

The Caps would probably do the McCabe deal. 50% retention on a 3 year deal for a 1st. They're building, have open retention slots and Jensen is relatively mediocre. The Leafs could push that one over the line.

It would fill a hole for them also. They get a partner for Rielly for this run, pushing Lube to #7 defenseman. With Brodie expiring, Jensen fills his role going into the next couple years at a great price. He brings sandpaper and can play a few minutes a game more than Lyubushkin.
But he is 33 and has gone from 29p last season to pacing for 12 this year. Would you want to commit for 2 more years to a guy who may be just arriving at the cliff the Brodie fell off of this summer? They were very similar players just a year ago. Also not sure about how much sandpaper he has as plays very low contact hockey.

In spite of the rough season he is having I would take him over TJ today just not for the term. They need younger if they are going to bite off 2 more years.

Reactions: LeafParade

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We have enough depth. Obtain an impact player or leave it.

In theory we have enough depth... it seems right now, it's pretty troubling with all of the injuries... I mean we should have enough depth, but four guys out from the start of season opening top 7.

""

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Someone mentioned Marino’s name a few pages back. I wonder if there’s a hockey trade that can be made between the two teams. Marino fits Toronto’s need for a top four, Liljegren could potentially fit in NJ slotting behind Hamilton and Nemac. We’d definitely need to add to Liljegren.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
In the next week I would expect Boosh to get a lot of mins until the deadline passes and then Keefe can
Boosh isn't insurance he's going to play every game and probably PK too. The only GM who trades 3rd rounders for the player to sit in the press box is Dubas
Sure he’ll play for now. We got a massive week coming up. He’ll get games in but if Treliving gets another D-man like a Sean Walker than yeah Lyubushkin will likely be sitting come playoff time. You may not like it but that’s how I see it.

Sorry about my post. My phone can’t handle the ads lol 😂

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Someone mentioned Marino’s name a few pages back. I wonder if there’s a hockey trade that can be made between the two teams. Marino fits Toronto’s need for a top four, Liljegren could potentially fit in NJ slotting behind Hamilton and Nemac. We’d definitely need to add to Liljegren.

Why would the Devils trade him? He's signed for years and seemingly doing well. They have struggled this year but doesn't seem like they are blowing it up. They are gonna reset for next year in some way. There's no immediate need just because Nemec and Hamilton are there.

They were in on Markstrom and likely will pivot to get Saros now. We're just not good trading partners.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Hamilton had surgery, and might not be back until April.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The idea of Marino is good, but moving Liljegren in the process nearly makes it a lateral move.

The deal needs to subtract from the forward group or prospect pool to make it fit as well as possible.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
ya it has to be a RD with term.

Who are the top guys?
That's a matter of opinion.

I made this list a week ago. Obviously Tanev and Boosh have been traded... I wasn't high on Boosh. :laugh:

1. Larsson
2. Gudas
3. Weegar
4. Murphy
5. Zub
6. Oleksiak
7. Peeke
8.Gudbranson
9. Tanev
10. Rutta
11. Parayko
12. Mayfield
13. Xhekaj
14. Schenn
15 Timmins
16. Niemela
17. Lagesson
18. Lyubuskin
19. Marner
20. Dmitri Yushkevich
21. Dumba

Other people have talked about Carrier, Roy...

Some of these guys are unlikely to be available... who knows really. It's more just a list of who I'd like, based on fit, and contract.. favouring those with term, and reasonable cap hits...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: nuck

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It's quite clear they want someone here for awhile if they are gonna trade it. I just hope it's not someone like Laughton, as solid as he'd be to add.
I think that Laughton could be part of a bigger deal involving other picks, a prospect or two, and Walker. It would be nice to punt Kampf over to the Flyers to balance cap but that would be an admission by Tre that he shit the bed with that signing but not sure if he would do that. I would move Topi in a deal and sign Walker for 5.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Tre not giving in to the Flames for Tanev bought him some brownie points. 1st rounder only in play if it's worth it.

We can sleep safe and sound knowing there will be no last minute Foligno-esque trade.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
That's a matter of opinion.

I made this list a week ago. Obviously Tanev and Boosh have been traded... I wasn't high on Boosh. :laugh:

1. Larsson
2. Gudas
3. Weegar
4. Murphy
5. Zub
6. Oleksiak
7. Peeke
8.Gudbranson
9. Tanev
10. Rutta
11. Parayko
12. Mayfield
13. Xhekaj
14. Schenn
15 Timmins
16. Niemela
17. Lagesson
18. Lyubuskin

Other people have talked about Carrier, Roy...

Some of these guys are unlikely to be available... who knows really. It's more just a list of who I'd like, based on fit, and contract.. favouring those with term, and reasonable cap hits...

I also do not want to pay for someone with term who is a worse target than someone that can be had as a UFA.

What is the hypothetical AAV?

Reactions: KMNRB

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I also do not want to pay for someone with term who is a worse target than someone that can be had as a UFA.

What is the hypothetical AAV?

The question being, who will be available as UFA?

Pesce - skating declining, still very good, but maybe for 2-3 years, allegedly looking for 5-6
Tanev
Myers, Dumba, Montour, Roy, DeMelo, Walker, Carrier, Hakanpaa

They wouldn't help this playoff run, and the question being, who of quality can we sign, for a good contract? July 1st is usually overpayment day.... The nice thing about trading some of the guys who might be available, is there are quite a few $4 mil contracts.

Realistically, how many of the guys listed above, would make effective partners for Rielly, and cost affordable?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

Who's coming out of the lineup if Seeler is the target?

Lilegeren is too good to bench and you'd have the same issue by removing as RD for LD.

Brodie has too much name power to get scratched. Benoit? He's been so good so it doesn't make sense to replace Benoit with Seeler. Very similar players at the end of the day

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Boosh isn't insurance he's going to play every game and probably PK too. The only GM who trades 3rd rounders for the player to sit in the press box is Dubas

I am amazed that folks don't see that we have Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares eating significant piece of the salary cap pie and next year Matthews and Nylander are getting raises while Marner and Tavares still count against the cap.

What top4 D-man would Leafs be able to afford realistically speaking without betting the significant futures like 2 1st rounders plus other adds to help with the cap.

Also, having all lefties play on the right side has been a pain; I think Boosh is a pretty decent add to play next to Rielly; and helps our PK too where Mo won't have to take on PK minutes significantly where our PK can be manned by Brodie, McCabe, Boosh, Beniot (and may be Lily with 2nd PP duties).

Its amazing that folks want to add to Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares without realizing cap implications or for that matter without having to throw out significant amount of futures.

Until Tavares is off the cap any significant moves should be restricted IMO

Maybe we can save the 1st for a forward:

Lily + Niemelä + Timmins (dump) for Jensen (50%) + Edmundson + Dowd

Rielly Boosh
Brodie Jensen
Benoit/Edmundson McCabe

No team in recent history has changed the makeup of their roster significantly and have had playoff success. I would urge severe caution in changing the dynamic of the team significantly

Reactions: Fogelhund

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I am amazed that folks don't see that we have Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares eating significant piece of the salary cap pie and next year Matthews and Nylander are getting raises while Marner and Tavares still count against the cap.

What top4 D-man would Leafs be able to afford realistically speaking without betting the significant futures like 2 1st rounders plus other adds to help with the cap.

Also, having all lefties play on the right side has been a pain; I think Boosh is a pretty decent add to play next to Rielly; and helps our PK too where Mo won't have to take on PK minutes significantly where our PK can be manned by Brodie, McCabe, Boosh, Beniot (and may be Lily with 2nd PP duties).

Its amazing that folks want to add to Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares without realizing cap implications or for that matter without having to throw out significant amount of futures.

Until Tavares is off the cap any significant moves should be restricted IMO

No team in recent history has changed the makeup of their roster significantly and have had playoff success. I would urge severe caution in changing the dynamic of the team significantly

Brodie coming off the books helps .. they have about $20 mill in cap space this offseason and 13 contracts to sign.

There's enough there to allocate some $ to the blue line for a defender for next year. Once Tavares is up that completely changes the cap structure as well.

Reactions: Fogelhund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad