Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Also would be interested in Savard but the Plekanic deal has been jaded towards acquiring Habs… savard might just not care enough about being a leaf
His game has been going south since before he left Columbus. A bit of an uptick when he went to TB but he wasn't actually good there and was a little worse for them in the playoffs, Jensen at least was still a good player in 2021 but coming off two weak years since then and he is 33 so may be better than Savard but still not better than RD Brodie.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
How many actual quality right d are there in the league lol? Or at least one that fits what we want?

It feels like 10 at most.

Hindsight it 20/20 but man we should have done everything to bring in Pietro when there was mutual interest… or at least it was always believed that there was.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

They need RD Muzzin and probably another "generic top 4" D to really solidify the group.

How many actual quality right d are there in the league lol? Or at least one that fits what we want?

Hindsight it 20/20 but man we should have done everything to bring in Pietro when there was mutual interest… or at least it was always believed that there was.

Brodie - 5M
Simmonds- 1.5M
Thornton - 775k
Kerfoot 3.5M
Vesey 800k
Barabanov - 775k

It might have involved more moves etc but there was a path towards doing it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm sure it's been mentioned but the Leafs have kicked around on Jensen with Washington.

A lot of these names are incredibly underwhelming.
Jensen is a #4/5 at best and will be turning 34 next season. Unless Washington retains, hopefully, Treliving stays away

Yeah the 4M cap hit for the next 2 years is really rough for his age. But he's still efficient and good defensively. He doesn't have much offensively though... he's very TJ Brodie-esque.

I think I'd acquire him if the cost is a simple 4th/5th round pick without any retention. They'd probably want and could get more I assume.

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Yeah Bogo is a nice add but I don’t think where the fit it.. seems like the Leafs need to add a righty than can at least complement Rielly and move everyone down a spot on the depth chart.
He would be a Luke Schenn type add for Rielly. A stabilizing tough partner.

Again, not on the top of the list but if we're gonna talk about guys like Lybushkin and Dumba...Id prefer Bogosian over both

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He would be a Luke Schenn type add for Rielly. A stabilizing tough partner.

Again, not on the top of the list but if we're gonna talk about guys like Lybushkin and Dumba...Id prefer Bogosian over both

I’d prefer Bogo too, I just don’t think any of them are the partner for Rielly needed.

You’d be better off targeting Schenn with retention because at least you know he worked well enough with him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’d prefer Bogo too, I just don’t think any of them are the partner for Rielly needed.

You’d be better off targeting Schenn with retention because at least you know he worked well enough with him.

Tom Nilsson​

Defense -- shoots R
Born Aug 19 1993 -- Tyreso, Sweden
[30 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 183 [183 cm/83 kg]
Drafted by Toronto Maple Leafs
- round 4 #100 overall 2011 NHL Entry Draft

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

There was. Dubas made him an offer also but the money wasn’t enough. Should’ve trimmed fat off the roster elsewhere or the nuclear option being allowing Rielly to walk. I would’ve pulled the trigger on that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Probably pointless to bring this up but what the hell.

Do you think a lot of the roster construction and frustration boils down to Rielly just plain being mediocre at best at playing actual defense? Limiting us to options that insulate him?

I'm going to say that Rielly elevates in the playoffs and has overall been fairly good this year, less glaring issues than previous years, last few games with Brodie aside.

I suppose this is right there with Tavares and he's not moving, more so with Rielly just extending but basically...we're in agreement, his defensive deficiencies make it that much harder to assemble a group of 6?

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
We didn’t have the assets. To get Tanev. We traded them all last year for rentals and got McCabe and 2 5ths.

I’m not sure Tre would have done it. But man I really hope we don’t do that again.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There was. Dubas made him an offer also but the money wasn’t enough. Should’ve trimmed fat off the roster elsewhere or the nuclear option being allowing Rielly to walk. I would’ve pulled the trigger on that.

His wife is American, and the interviews he gave around free agency seemed like he wasn't going to consider Canada. Even going dollar for dollar with Vegas, Nevada has the nicer winters than Toronto unfortunately

Do you think a lot of the roster construction and frustration boils down to Rielly just plain being mediocre at best at playing actual defense? Limiting us to options that insulate him?

I'm going to say that Rielly elevates in the playoffs and has overall been fairly good this year, less glaring issues than previous years, last few games with Brodie aside.

I suppose this is right there with Tavares and he's not moving, more so with Rielly just extending but basically...we're in agreement, his defensive deficiencies make it that much harder to assemble a group of 6?

I think you answered your own question. He elevates his game in the playoffs,. everything else is secondary. We need more guys to follow his lead in that regard

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Nah, man.

We've seen it again and again - all Morgan needs is a reliable defensive right-handed partner. Doesn't need to be a star, he looked good with Hainsey, Schenn, even Lybushkin. Looked great with Tanev internationally. Instead he's playing with Brodie who sucks on the right side.

If Dubas signed Tanev instead of Brodie a couple of seasons ago, we'd have had a stellar #1 pairing for years now, instead of constantly spinning our wheels.

The failure is not on Morgan , it's on our management groups who have repeatedly failed to find that guy in the off-season. It should not be that difficult to find such a dman.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is why I respect Jim Rutherford. They mean business. They got a trade ready for Pettersson and said, either you negotiate now and to our terms or you can go play for the Hurricanes.

Im sure we see an extension coming up.

Reactions: Zero1

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Bargain hunting:

Dumba + Brown for picks (3rds/4ths/5ths)

Rielly Dumba
Brodie Lily/Brown
Benoit McCabe

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nah, man.

We've seen it again and again - all Morgan needs is a reliable defensive right-handed partner. Doesn't need to be a star, he looked good with Hainsey, Schenn, even Lybushkin. Looked great with Tanev internationally. Instead he's playing with Brodie who sucks on the right side.

If Dubas signed Tanev instead of Brodie a couple of seasons ago, we'd have had a stellar #1 pairing for years now, instead of constantly spinning our wheels.

The failure is not on Morgan , it's on our management groups who have repeatedly failed to find that guy in the off-season. It should not be that difficult to find such a dman.

That's another perspective.

I have a feeling the RD will have to wait until the off-season to be resolved.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Lebrun in his article says the price for Savard is a first rounder + prospect or group of picks equivalent to first round ... Insane asks.

Also he "wondered" if Lyubushkin would make the most sense for the Leafs now that Tanev is gone.

• Wow
Reactions: uncleben

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's out there that Vancouver and Carolina engaged on Pettersson talks and that has kind of re-ignited the contract extension talks.

Quite frankly, great move by Vancouver, it's a wake up call to Elias that they're not gonna sit on their ass waiting on him, they need to know if he's gonna stay or not and need to plan for the future, with or without him.

I hope we take a similar path this off-season with someone like Marner, let's get it done, give us real numbers and be serious about getting a deal done. If you're not, let us know and we can look at trade options that might appeal to you.

He has a NMC so he controls the process but I really hope we can get buy in quickly so it let's Treliving focus on other areas, god knows we have lots of areas of need on this roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad