Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Again... i used actual values, from the Athletic... and the value was a second round value.
I can't see that article, but I highly doubt it suggests that the combined resulting prospect value of a 2nd + 2nd + conditional 3rd + 4th is... a 2nd round pick, but regardless of what you think the accumulated prospect value would be in an average draft, the market value of something like that is pretty established near a late 1st - especially one that falls beyond the 1st round drop off in that draft.
Ah... Dallas fans, who might have paid attention to their draft picks, and might discuss it on a discussion board, don't know as much as you....
Didn't say anything about me. They likely know less than the Calgary GM, scouts, etc. that all liked that specific guy, and chose him over picks. You don't know the knowledge level of the writers of these random comments you've picked out, and fans tend to be dismissive of prospects they just traded away. Most fans don't follow their team's prospects. Even less watch them. Even less can properly evaluate them. Even less can properly evaluate them when their strength is defense. Heck, most people can't even properly evaluate defensive play in NHL players they watch every game.
Hockeydb has him at 6'2". Articles about the trade have him at 6'2". AHL also has him heavier. So it looks like somewhere in the range of 6'1"-6'2" and 195-205 lbs at 20 years old. There is no size issue.
Schenn was 6'2", 210 at draft. He put up more points in his draft year, than Grush did in two years.
1 less actually, but yeah, that's why he went 5th overall instead of in the late 2nd round. But it shows the value that even purely defensive defensemen can still have.
But, if you must defend Grushnikov, because of all of your viewings, and incredible knowledge of him.....
I'm not defending Grushnikov. You're just dismissing him... I guess because of all your viewings and incredible knowledge of him...
I'm just pointing out that people comparatively undervalue prospects and overvalue picks in trades, and all you've really done is be a good example.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I really felt that Treliving picked up 2 TDL-type players in the offseason: Domi and Bertuzzi.

Like many have said already it won't be a big splash TDL. Just 2 players the fill in certain roles. Possible RHD and a penalty killer is my bet.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I really felt that Treliving picked up 2 TDL-type players in the offseason: Domi and Bertuzzi.

Like many have said already it won't be a big splash TDL. Just 2 players the fill in certain roles. Possible RHD and a penalty killer is my bet.
You can add Benoit to the list too.

My guess is either Rutta or Dumba will be leaf. I know many aren't a fan of Dumba on this board but that's the type of player we're are gonna get I think

Reactions: ToneDog

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You can add Benoit to the list too.

My guess is either Rutta or Dumba will be leaf. I know many aren't a fan of Dumba on this board but that's the type of player we're are gonna get I think

Either would be better than nothing for sure. They are both far better options in terms of depth and quality than what the Leafs have. It just depends on the acquisition price.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Either would be better than nothing for sure. They are both far better options in terms of depth and quality than what the Leafs have. It just depends on the acquisition price.
Getting someone who makes us worse, is not better than nothing.

It's like saying, signing Klingberg was better than signing nobody.

In this case, we'd actually have to give up assets to get worse.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Getting someone who makes us worse, is not better than nothing.

It's like saying, signing Klingberg was better than signing nobody.

In this case, we'd actually have to give up assets to get worse.

I don't think Dumba or Rutta in that case would be worse than Giordano, Lagesson or Lajoie on the depth charts. They are fine, but I think those either of those 2 would help, especially right now. They can do better and likely will try to find better but if say Dumba's price gets lowered and he's in the Schenn value of last years deadline... I'd be more than fine with it. I think he's pretty solid in the right setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224 and OVO16

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think Dumba or Rutta in that case would be worse than Giordano, Lagesson or Lajoie on the depth charts. They are fine, but I think those either of those 2 would help, especially right now. They can do better and likely will try to find better but if say Dumba's price gets lowered and he's in the Schenn value of last years deadline... I'd be more than fine with it. I think he's pretty solid in the right setting.

Dumba was a reasonably quick, physical, offensive D man, who wasn't good defensively at his peak.

He's had injuries, he's no longer quick, has no offense and still isn't good defensively... watch him tonight... he's just not a good player anymore. Getting Holl back would be better... LOL.

I probably just cursed him into having a three point night, and having the only good game of the year.

Reactions: nuck

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dumba was a reasonably quick, physical, offensive D man, who wasn't good defensively at his peak.

He's had injuries, he's no longer quick, has no offense and still isn't good defensively... watch him tonight... he's just not a good player anymore. Getting Holl back would be better... LOL.

I probably just cursed him into having a three point night, and having the only good game of the year.

This isn't about him being fantastic, which represents the low cost of acquisition, which probably wouldn't be more than what Luke Schenn got last year. He's got tools and some form of quality that I think would be useful. He can play a lot of minutes and has played a lot of minutes, albeit not to the best of forms, but he's also been on some bad teams over the years. If you think Giordano, Lagesson or even Lajoie are better than Dumba, I dunno but I think that's wrong for the most part.

Right now we're seeing some really iffy depth with injuries piling up. There are plenty of ways to plug those holes but the price of acquisition might not be feasible to do.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

This is the entire points some may be missing.

Improvement doesn't mean 1st. pairing defender.

Heck, a 3rd. pairing defender could be better than what the Leafs are pushing over the boards today.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Just throwing this out there, but what about bringing in Toews (if he is interested) to be our forward depth add?

Also, I’d take a shot on Parayko. Feels like a change of scenery could be good there if his back is fine.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This is the entire points some may be missing.

Improvement doesn't mean 1st. pairing defender.

Heck, a 3rd. pairing defender could be better than what the Leafs are pushing over the boards today.
I think the point people are missing is that they are looking at bottom pairing D for teams far below the Leafs in the standings.

How does a team get better by trading for worse?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think the point people are missing is that they are looking at bottom pairing D for teams far below the Leafs in the standings.

I’d argue it’s not the Leafs defense that is better than said teams, but the fact that the Leafs offence is the difference in these team’s placement in the standing……..

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

A player on a bad team doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad player. That's really a weird angle to take to refuse to acquire a player. Dumba hasn't been good though so that's a fair point to make.

If the Leafs can't find a quality upgrade for the right price, they may have to settle to upgrade their depth and hope they elevate their game on a better team. It's all based on what it would take to acquire said player.

For example, Luke Schenn was supposed to be depth and ended up playing way over what he was acquired for. He started low on minutes but ended up being a Rielly partner who did pretty well. Benoit was signed as depth from one of the worst teams last year, and now he's a main stay on the pairings and playing really well.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I’m by no means predicting anything - but wonder if when we are talking to teams trying to get a RD with term, if McCabe is in that deal?

Like something like:
McCabe
Robertson
3rd

For

Larson

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
A player on a bad team doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad player. That's really a weird angle to take to refuse to acquire a player. Dumba hasn't been good though so that's a fair point to make.

If the Leafs can't find a quality upgrade for the right price, they may have to settle to upgrade their depth and hope they elevate their game on a better team.
Is Brady Tkachuk a bad player necause he plays for Ottawa?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why are posters pining so hard for the bottom pairing D from teams much worse than the Leafs?

I swear......

I'm not anyone is pining for anyone.

I'd be just as happy if they showed some courage with their prospects.

1709229344844.png

How many NHL defenders in the above list?
Now how many of those are years past their prime?

You have 5 viable defenders there, and one of them gets played on his off-side and isn't good enough to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad