Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Doubt the Flames would move Weegar since I don't think they're doing a full teardown but yeah, he really would check all the boxes. Same with Pulock but again, despite having a murky future I don't the Islanders would listen. Those would be unload the cupboard guys though.

Reactions: Buds17

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Can someone explain how last year's version of Luke Schenn was sold to us for a 3rd (highest bid) but Tanev is worth a 1st? I get the higher skill but considering age and cap hit, it's ridiculous. Are their profiles not similar where the attractive value is: can play top 4D with a skill partner, warrior, physical, playoff material.

Why tf was Zadorov traded so early for a 2026 3rd? Stop bluffing and just make a reasonable trade

Just call their bluffs or target more overlooked names. Zero need to pay a dumb price at the moment.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Jason Bukala was on the Bunkis podcast to do a prospect hit in terms of update but also in relation to the deadline. I decided it to put it here due to the deadline aspect and so more ppl would see it lol.

Cowan
  • Essentially every scouting service or scout out there had him ranked 40-100, good on the Leafs to identify him. People were unsure of his offensive upside at the time.
  • Compared him to a modern day Darcy Tucker if you take into account today's game vs. when Tucker played (softer).
  • If all pans out, he has more offensive upside than Knies, though won't be able to do some of the stuff Knies does with his size/reach.
  • Feels he is likely untouchable for Tre in a deal.
  • Had he been born 4 months later and eligible for the 2024 draft, he would have him ranked 7th.

1st Rounder
  • Part of Cowan's ranking would be due to his growth this year, but also the outlook on the 2024 draft.
  • Especially after 20, there is a big drop off, meaning he feels some GMs who will be in that position won't be so hesitant to deal their 1st. Sellers though, also know this, and will be asking for top prospects over a late 2024 1st.
  • Tre shouldn't feel overly bad if he needs to deal the 1st, but make it a good deal.

Minten
  • Does not have the upside of Cowan but sees him potentially as a good 3rd liner. Has good size.
  • He shouldn't be untouchable in a big deal.

Grebyonkin
  • Has good size and is scoring at a tremendous rate for a low-scoring KHL
  • His team, Metallurg, gives him a better chance of coming over, rather than had he been on a team like SKA which has more pressure to keep their players.

Niemela
  • Sees him as an NHL player but as a 3rd pairing.
  • Tremendously smart, though offence isn't overly dynamic.
  • Teams might not be as excited to deal for him cause for a 3rd pair, they want more Benoit types there, putting Niemela in an interesting spot if he can't be a 2nd pair guy.

Chadwick
  • His offensive growth has been encouraging
  • Tremendous decision making abilities

--

Interesting stuff. I'd feel a lot better about dealing the 2024 1st if we had a 2nd and/or 2025 1st. Without it, it becomes dicey even if this seems to be the year to deal it. Also glad to hear more names mentioned in the mainstream other than Cowan, Minten and Niemela. I was hoping to hear about Tverberg and Hildeby but knew this was more for the general ear rather than the prospect junkies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Maybe Peeke is the "cheapest" option because he isn't worth much, kind of makes sense.
Well that's generally how value works.

There's two problems with some of these cheaper options that won't require a 1st to acquire (Carrier, Walker, Seeler) - 1) we don't have a 2nd round pick for the next several years to include in the deal either, and 2) none of them are stylistic fits with Rielly. I don't really want my top 2 RD being 5'11" Carrier and Liljegren against FLA. Rielly-Carrier would get murdered.

If Tre's against using the 1st, then the remaining expendable assets are: 3rd rd pick, Robertson, other B prospects. Not appealing.

I'd personally entertain including Minten/Niemela in a package, preferably the latter. Hopefully get into Borgen territory.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well that's generally how value works.

There's two problems with some of these cheaper options that won't require a 1st to acquire (Carrier, Walker, Seeler) - 1) we don't have a 2nd round pick for the next several years to include in the deal either, and 2) none of them are stylistic fits with Rielly. I don't really want my top 2 RD being 5'11" Carrier and Liljegren against FLA. Rielly-Carrier would get murdered.

If Tre's against using the 1st, then the remaining expendable assets are: 3rd rd pick, Robertson, other B prospects. Not appealing.

I'd personally entertain including Minten/Niemela in a package, preferably the latter. Hopefully get into Borgen territory.

I feel like Robertson/Borgen is pretty much an even swap.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Jason Bukala was on the Bunkis podcast to do a prospect hit in terms of update but also in relation to the deadline. I decided it to put it here due to the deadline aspect and so more ppl would see it lol.

Cowan
  • Essentially every scouting service or scout out there had him ranked 40-100, good on the Leafs to identify him. People were unsure of his offensive upside at the time.
  • Compared him to a modern day Darcy Tucker if you take into account today's game vs. when Tucker played (softer).
  • If all pans out, he has more offensive upside than Knies, though won't be able to do some of the stuff Knies does with his size/reach.
  • Feels he is likely untouchable for Tre in a deal.
  • Had he been born 4 months later and eligible for the 2024 draft, he would have him ranked 7th.

1st Rounder
  • Part of Cowan's ranking would be due to his growth this year, but also the outlook on the 2024 draft.
  • Especially after 20, there is a big drop off, meaning he feels some GMs who will be in that position won't be so hesitant to deal their 1st. Sellers though, also know this, and will be asking for top prospects over a late 2024 1st.
  • Tre shouldn't feel overly bad if he needs to deal the 1st, but make it a good deal.

Minten
  • Does not have the upside of Cowan but sees him potentially as a good 3rd liner. Has good size.
  • He shouldn't be untouchable in a big deal.

Grebyonkin
  • Has good size and is scoring at a tremendous rate for a low-scoring KHL
  • His team, Metallurg, gives him a better chance of coming over, rather than had he been on a team like SKA which has more pressure to keep their players.

Niemela
  • Sees him as an NHL player but as a 3rd pairing.
  • Tremendously smart, though offence isn't overly dynamic.
  • Teams might not be as excited to deal for him cause for a 3rd pair, they want more Benoit types there, putting Niemela in an interesting spot if he can't be a 2nd pair guy.

Chadwick
  • His offensive growth has been encouraging
  • Tremendous decision making abilities

--

Interesting stuff. I'd feel a lot better about dealing the 2024 1st if we had a 2nd and/or 2025 1st. Without it, it becomes dicey even if this seems to be the year to deal it. Also glad to hear more names mentioned in the mainstream other than Cowan, Minten and Niemela. I was hoping to hear about Tverberg and Hildeby but knew this was more for the general ear rather than the prospect junkies.

Okay who are you willing to deal for: Jiricek, David

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We aren’t giving Benoit any love here.
Against Las Vegas he played the second most minutes. Finished +1 in a 6-2 loss and had 8 I repeat 8 hits.
Can't complain at all about any current lineup fixture earning just under 800K. I was only stating that any comparison of potentially acquiring Peeke with the team's actual acquisition of Benoit might be a case of comparing apples and oranges.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Our next three seconds all went away for:

1 playoff run with ROR and Acciari
1 playoff run with Lyubushkin and offloading Ritchie
2 seasons and 3 playoff runs with McCabe and 1 playoff run with Lafferty

Really the only one I wouldn't do again is the Lyubushkin one. As much as Ritchie sucked it's not like that trade led to anything positive for us.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Our next three seconds all went away for:

1 playoff run with ROR and Acciari
1 playoff run with Lyubushkin and offloading Ritchie
2 seasons and 3 playoff runs with McCabe and 1 playoff run with Lafferty

Really the only one I wouldn't do again is the Lyubushkin one. As much as Ritchie sucked it's not like that trade led to anything positive for us.
It sucks not having the cookies that other teams have, but really it's only tough to lament the Ritchie one. The others went for upgrades, as is the price and ask of such at the deadline.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad