Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They have Lilly and they have pushed McCabe over there so there won't be two guys coming in. Are you thinking he is the add at RD for the playoffs?
He’s cheap, has term and is imo a player who could defensively work with Rielly……

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Can someone explain how last year's version of Luke Schenn was sold to us for a 3rd (highest bid) but Tanev is worth a 1st? I get the higher skill but considering age and cap hit, it's ridiculous. Are their profiles not similar where the attractive value is: can play top 4D with a skill partner, warrior, physical, playoff material.

Why tf was Zadorov traded so early for a 2026 3rd? Stop bluffing and just make a reasonable trade

Schenn had been a 3rd pairing guy for years.. at best... and had a couple of good seasons with Hughes.

Tanev is good enough to stand on his own, and has been top four/two for most of his career.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Schenn had been a 3rd pairing guy for years.. at best... and had a couple of good seasons with Hughes.

Tanev is good enough to stand on his own, and has been top four/two for most of his career.
exactly big difference

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
The thing is, teams are more willing to spend their future toward the end of their cup window.

We wasted all those first rounders in previous years because it was the end of Dubas' window, not the Leafs if we believed we could extend Matthews and Nylander (which we did).

Now we have at least 5 more cup runs with Matthews (esp after Tavares' contract expires and with the rising cap). Guys like Cowan and Minten or even Nielema can become core young pieces in two or three of those cup runs.

Even the 2024 first rounder will likely be, given how well we seem to draft in late 1st early 2nd round. Our scouting staffs seem capable of turning a late 1st rounder into a higher value asset. We should reward them for their last year's works too.

So I say we add, but no more than giving up a second (maybe trade our first for two seconds) or third or B-level prospect. (unless we get guys with 2 to 3 years left in their contracts)

Sure, I don't disagree.

I'd say only use the assets (the meaningful ones) on players with term, good ones at that.

There is no doubt that we quite severely lack ammunition, that's for sure.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011

A fair counter, however present season performance has a great amount of meaning. Schenn having a couple good years is more than enough to get good value

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A team as bad as the Ducks didn’t think Benoit was worth keeping, he turned out to be a quality pick up, Peeke could be the same type of acquisition………
Benoit was low risk as a UFA signing (with a year of team control still to come). Aside from that, Peeke could be a fine idea as an acquisition if the price in trade is low enough.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Schenn was a cheap option....

Decent all around D man, good offensively, and defensively, not necessarily great at either... but good player. 5'11" 174 lbs.

If you are starting from scratch, he's a guy who's attractive. When your main need is a defense first, mobile, large, physical partner for Rielly... I really don't think this is what we need at all.
How old was Schenn? Bad analogy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Re-signing Schenn in the off-season would have actually created a huge ripple effect.

You probably don't need to sign Reaves - you have Domi, Benoit, McCabe, Bertuzzi as grit

Klingberg probably is not signed as we'd have Schenn, Liljegren and Brodie projected as our RD this year. Timmins was also kicking around.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Probably players who we don't know are available, but can be had for a higher price.

But you're likely hinting at same ole same ole scenario.

Pick up a bottom pairing defender and hope he meshes.
Carrier is an actual top 4 guy but he isn't on anyone's dream list as a bookend for Mo.

Im not really hinting though, I just don't know who is available this summer that they can't get now. Tanev will officially be OAF and who knows what term he wants for his final deal? He is a better rental than a signing. Pesce if he isn't anti Leaf and he will want too much money and term which along with NMs for all fits with the Leaf philosophy. Some folks have mentioned Borgen if the Leafs think he can handle a lot more load than he has ever had so far except Seattle needs scoring and the Leafs have only Robertson to offer. Is a 17:00 a night guy a legit top 4 tho? Except for Pesce who may have no interest in coming north I don't see anyone obvious who appears to fit the Reilly need. Now Pesce's brother is a Marlie so who knows?

Bottom pairing guys are usually bottom pairing for a reason so combing through that mess isn't really a team building model and what do you do with them if they don't work? The Peeke example has $2.75 for 2 more years. Retention for 2 years isn't free and you can't bury 100% of the deal even at 50%. I would still rather roll the dice with him than Myers but there should be guys that don't need to be resurrected for closer to $1M.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Carrier is an actual top 4 guy but he isn't on anyone's dream list as a bookend for Mo.

Im not really hinting though, I just don't know who is available this summer that they can't get now. Tanev will officially be OAF and who knows what term he wants for his final deal? He is a better rental than a signing. Pesce if he isn't anti Leaf and he will want too much money and term which along with NMs for all fits with the Leaf philosophy. Some folks have mentioned Borgen if the Leafs think he can handle a lot more load than he has ever had so far except Seattle needs scoring and the Leafs have only Robertson to offer. Is a 17:00 a night guy a legit top 4 tho? Except for Pesce who may have no interest in coming north I don't see anyone obvious who appears to fit the Reilly need. Now Pesce's brother is a Marlie so who knows?

Bottom pairing guys are usually bottom pairing for a reason so combing through that mess isn't really a team building model and what do you do with them if they don't work? The Peeke example has $2.75 for 2 more years. Retention for 2 years isn't free and you can't bury 100% of the deal even at 50%. I would still rather roll the dice with him than Myers but there should be guys that don't need to be resurrected for closer to $1M.
pretty sure slavins brother is a marlie not pesce but yes i agree with the peeke 50% retained

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Lmao Pagnotta said Arizona is asking for a 1st for Dumba.

How the hell is he worth a 1st? No wonder no trades are being made

Reactions: TMLAM34

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Lmao Pagnotta said Arizona is asking for a 1st for Dumba.

How the hell is he worth a 1st? No wonder no trades are being made
On the AZ board they are talking a 3rd for Dumba with 50% retention as fair :laugh: They're just fans but that makes more sense. I think somebody is screwing with Dave.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
On the AZ board they are talking a 3rd for Dumba with 50% retention as fair :laugh: They're just fans but that makes more sense. I think somebody is screwing with Dave.
I dont think anyone is screwing with Dave. Teams will always start high and optimistic hoping someone gets desperate enough I guess.

David did say prices will most likely drop closer to the deadline if no one pays up the original price

Reactions: Buds17

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
more a poor mans spurgeon but i get the comparison hes just maybe 15 pounds lighter than lily is and shorter i expect lily to hit 200 lbs at some point

Poor man's Spurgeon is a good comparison I think. Maybe lower-middle class Spurgeon if you really like him :) . If you'll forgive the rhyme, he can do it all but he's small.

I'm also okay with getting Tanev. I think those two definitely make us significantly better. Guys like Peeke and Dumba are more lottery tickets imo, maybe they come over and get rejuvenated and fit in well but far from guaranteed.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Holmberg Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
McMann Tavares Knies
Gregor Kampf Jarnkrok

Rielly Rhd
Brodie Lily/rhd
Benoit McCabe

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Re-signing Schenn in the off-season would have actually created a huge ripple effect.

You probably don't need to sign Reaves - you have Domi, Benoit, McCabe, Bertuzzi as grit

Klingberg probably is not signed as we'd have Schenn, Liljegren and Brodie projected as our RD this year. Timmins was also kicking around.
I would've preferred Schenn at 4.5M (Klingberg's money) and it's not even close. As someone said earlier, the fit was perfect.

Add to that, now, here we are about to give up assets to acquire someone we hope fits as well with Rielly as Schenn did.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
There really aren’t many RHD that are actually available right now unfortunately. Tanev, Savard, Fabbro, Carrier, Walker, and Lyubushkin seem like the names being thrown around. Given the asking price for Tanev and probably Savard, Fabbro seems like the next best option. I can see Tre going for Walker though if he’s looking at RHD specifically.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
There really aren’t many RHD that are actually available right now unfortunately. Tanev, Savard, Fabbro, Carrier, Walker, and Lyubushkin seem like the names being thrown around. Given the asking price for Tanev and probably Savard, Fabbro seems like the next best option. I can see Tre going for Walker though if he’s looking at RHD specifically.
Just my opinion but - Tanev is a natural fit with Reilly.
Savard I think is past his expiration and hasn't played good hockey in a few years.
Carrier is good, but while he plays with a weak partner in Lauzon and would benefit from a move, he has never been the player to back up an attack first battery mate.
Same for Walker, he is good but no history of being the backstop for an offensive partner.
Fabbro plays beside Josi so he fits the role nicely but he might be less skilled than Walker or Carrier.
Bush had his version of a career year as a Leaf for 31 games and has never come back to that modest level. Third pairing only.

I pick Walker if he can be had for less than Tanev. He is paired with Seeler who is a stay at home pilon but his advanced stats are quite good, and get better away from Seeler beside York or Zamula who are a bit more offensive. He is 53% O zone faceoffs compared to 39% for Carrier so his shot based metrics are necessarily going to look better but Rielly is also 53% O zone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad