Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
if we could just get Tanev for less than a first I would say that's good enough on the backend and then try and add a guy like Boone Jenner.

Jenner for a first plus Jarnkrok

Tavares Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Knies Jenner Robertson
McMann Kampf Reeves(think we might need him against Boston and Florida)
Holmberg

Rielly Tanev
Brodie Lilly
Benoit McCabe
Its always with a grain of salt but I was listening to a review with Davidson the other day and the reporter specifically asked him about Jenner. He said no chance Jenner is going anywhere. He's their captain. he loves the city and he wants to be there when they turn it around. He's only 30 so you could understand how he would think there is time. Could be JD smoke but I don't think so.

I like Tanev a lot at the right price, and if anyone was offering a 1st he would be gone by now. Definitely only a 1 year solution though and is he enough by himself?

Reactions: Menzinger

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We've done really well with

Brodie Lilly
McCabe Benoit..

Small sample... but it would be interesting if Brodie continued to excel in such a role. I wonder... would you extend him for $3 mil in such a role, if it seemed to work for the rest of the year?

Then you've just got to extend Lilly ($3 mil) and Benoit ($1.2) and find a partner for Mo... plus depth guys, and I'm pretty happy with Lagesson, Lajoie, Rifai at this point, if they'd extend cheap.

---------------------------------------

Peeke - I've been one of his bigger cheerleaders over the years... but I have to wonder, where does he fit? I mean... if somehow he found chemistry with Mo, and it worked there, fantastic... but if it doesn't... where else do you see him in this lineup? I think we need to aim higher.

---------------------------------------

@OVO16 He's out with a Groin Strain. It's the third time he's been out with a Groin injury. He's also had two concussions that he's missed time for. Connor Murphy Injury Updates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps He's missed a lot of time... he's 30, and plays a hard style... I don't think that's going to age well, though he's been the type of guy we need.

What would people be willing to add to our 1st to get Larsson?

Would look unbelievable with Rielly.
Timmins, Reaves? :laugh: I really don't want to move any of our quality prospects at this point... I think we are going to have a youth movement that can really contribute. I guess it would come down to what would Seattle ask for?

Reactions: Skullz and Jmo89

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
We've done really well with

Brodie Lilly
McCabe Benoit..

Small sample... but it would be interesting if Brodie continued to excel in such a role. I wonder... would you extend him for $3 mil in such a role, if it seemed to work for the rest of the year?

Then you've just got to extend Lilly ($3 mil) and Benoit ($1.2) and find a partner for Mo... plus depth guys, and I'm pretty happy with Lagesson, Lajoie, Rifai at this point, if they'd extend cheap.
I think it is dangerous to look at the last several games and conclude much. Those 4 may look good against Anaheim and St. Louis, but what will they look like against Florida, Carolina and the Rangers?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The need for a Right shot Defenseman has gone up even more after seeing Brodie's stellar play on the left side

It would be criminal to put him back on his wrong side
I’ve never been a Brodie fan, but definitely liking him on the LHD where he belongs, and seeing chemistry with Liljegren.

Its only been a couple of games and I definitely want to see how that pair performs in the intense playoff games before thinking about extending Brodie.

He’s finished on the RHD. We need a top pair RHD, and it’s not Brodie.

So do you like him bumping McCabe or Benoit off the LHD next season? Lagesson?

I still want to see a true RHD come in to play with Rielly, and a 3RHD like Peeke, to give Niemala some time to mature.

I still think Brodie has trade value and if we can bring in a true RHD like Larson I’m still on board to move him if he brings a draft pick or as part of a package.

As it stands, I like him much more back on LHD and I hope it’s clear to Treliving and Keefe that is where he needs to stay.

Reactions: ashs

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Its always with a grain of salt but I was listening to a review with Davidson the other day and the reporter specifically asked him about Jenner. He said no chance Jenner is going anywhere. He's their captain. he loves the city and he wants to be there when they turn it around. He's only 30 so you could understand how he would think there is time. Could be JD smoke but I don't think so.

I like Tanev a lot at the right price, and if anyone was offering a 1st he would be gone by now. Definitely only a 1 year solution though and is he enough by himself?

Whoever trades for Jenner is definitely going to pay an inflated price. He's worth way more to the Jackets than any other team due to his I tangibles/reputation fans, ect

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think it is dangerous to look at the last several games and conclude much. Those 4 may look good against Anaheim and St. Louis, but what will they look like against Florida, Carolina and the Rangers?

Sure thing... which is why I said small sample size... but then the idea is also you'd have obtained a partner for Mo... so it would be

Mo xxx
Brodie Lilly
McCabe Benoit.

The real question there, is can Brodie work well enough on a second pairing, for us to consider him as a future piece.

Reactions: ashs

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He's not on top of the list by any means but if prices for Tanev and Larrson end up being too high....I can see treliving circling back around to Matt Dumba.

Trev tried to get Dumba back this past off-season when he was an UFA. He's still getting high usage minutes on a bad team and has playoff experience. Not mention a RD

Reactions: Once and jaric1862

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Sure thing... which is why I said small sample size... but then the idea is also you'd have obtained a partner for Mo... so it would be

Mo xxx
Brodie Lilly
McCabe Benoit.

The real question there, is can Brodie work well enough on a second pairing, for us to consider him as a future piece.
Brodie lily is too soft for playoff hockey
We need two big dmen

Mo big
Brodie bigger
McCabe Benoit
Extras
Gio laggesson etc

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Another lesser target if all else fails....Erik Gubrandson? Treliving had him in Calgary.

Could be a stabilizing vet/physical presence next to Rielly much like how Luke Schenn was last year

Rielly - Gubrandson
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
Giordano

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
He's not on top of the list by any means but if prices for Tanev and Larrson end up being too high....I can see treliving circling back around to Matt Dumba.

Trev tried to get Dumba back this past off-season when he was an UFA. He's still getting high usage minutes on a bad team and has playoff experience. Not mention a RD
His results are so brutal, even for the team. There may be a comeup for him with a change of address but he is tied to a $3.9M cap hit. Even if the Yotes gave him up for nothing there would be substantial costs to have most of that AV retained for a player that appears to be a shadow of his former self. The math doesn't work for a guy that may not have any game left. He looks like an interesting gamble for $1M over the summer but his salary makes him too pricey for anything in season.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
His results are so brutal, even for the team. There may be a comeup for him with a change of address but he is tied to a $3.9M cap hit. Even if the Yotes gave him up for nothing there would be substantial costs to have most of that AV retained for a player that appears to be a shadow of his former self. The math doesn't work for a guy that may not have any game left. He looks like an interesting gamble for $1M over the summer but his salary makes him too pricey for anything in season.
Saying things like "he's a shell of his former self" and "he may not have any game left" is excessive. He's still only 29yrs old

He's not having a good season by any means but that depends on heavily on the team he plays for too.

And yes any trade for Dumba would need salary retention, I thought that was implied. I just thinki he screams "change of scenery" player and could be had for cheap

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The Dfo rundown podcast. They did about the first 10 min

Apparently.
No Canadian teams are in on him
He wants to go to states
He apparently wants Tampa but not sure about assets
Well....that sucks

Turn our attention to Matt Roy in LA. I know they're contending but do they plan to re-sign him with Clarke + Doughty there? They might do what the Blues did with Shattenkirk

For this year that would allow us to run:

Rielly - Roy
Brodie - Liljergen
Benoit - McCabe

We'd realistically re-sign Roy in the off-season as well

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Another lesser target if all else fails....Erik Gubrandson? Treliving had him in Calgary.

Could be a stabilizing vet/physical presence next to Rielly much like how Luke Schenn was last year

Rielly - Gubrandson
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
Giordano

God no, I'd rather roll the dice on a guy like Fabbro than try Gubrandson
Hell I'd rather shell out a first for Tanev

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

Rielly - Gubrandson
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
Giordano
Gudbranson would honestly be a great partner for Rielly, but $4M a season for two more years is a little much...

Reactions: Once and Duffman955

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Assuming the team only makes one big trade, we are likely looking at:

Rielly - ###
Brodie - Lilly
Benoit - McCabe
Gio

I agree with @Evilhomer that we need to see those 2 and 3 pairings perform against better competition, but it's also likely the best we are going to see this season. The team doesn't have the assets nor should they use the assets they have to go all in this year, especially with Tavares expiring soon.

With that in mind, who is the best candidate to pair with Rielly that they can retain during the cap crunch next year and post-Tavares? Who can they actually afford?

I'd also love to see them pick up a 3C. I'm happy with Domi but would like the depth.

They should really try to get rid of Kampf. He's redundant and having a poor year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Assuming the team only makes one big trade, we are likely looking at:

Rielly - ###
Brodie - Lilly
Benoit - McCabe
Gio

I agree with @Evilhomer that we need to see those 2 and 3 pairings perform against better competition, but it's also likely the best we are going to see this season. The team doesn't have the assets nor should they use the assets they have to go all in this year, especially with Tavares expiring soon.

With that in mind, who is the best candidate to pair with Rielly that they can retain during the cap crunch next year and post-Tavares? Who can they actually afford?

I'd also love to see them pick up a 3C. I'm happy with Domi but would like the depth.

They should really try to get rid of Kampf. He's redundant and having a poor year.

Tanev, he's as close to ideal as you are going to get

I'd say Roy to but I doubt he's on the market

A 3C will cost to much imo, A bottom 6 wing that can PK would be my plan
I doubt it costs a ton to acquire either

Reactions: Jmo89

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I feel like McMann has made trading Robertson easier imo, especially if we go all out to make a pitch for Andersson using Robertson and our 1st round pick.
Robertson is the type of player we trade and then becomes a 30 goal scorer else where. If anything McMann emerging makes bertuzzi ependable. Trade him for picks and then use those picks plus cap space to get a dman.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Nothing is going to happen until Hanifin is moved. Calgary holds the trade deadline power this year. If someone was offering a FRP for Tanev he would’ve been traded by now. Until Calgary’s prices come down I’d be looking at other options. Not a fan of Dumba. Maybe Kaliyev

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
No rentals or short term solutions… team has been too inconsistent this season to spend assets on for a chance run.

This season is a good opportunity for the youngsters like Holmberg, Robertson, and McMann (to an extent) can do up front.

I’d probably only invest on the defense for but for multiple years, no rentals.

And if Saros is available I’m still strongly interested, price pending. An elite goalie can cover up an imperfectblue line.

Reactions: Duffman955 and Mess

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Gudbranson would honestly be a great partner for Rielly, but $4M a season for two more years is a little much...
Oh yea retension would sure be needed. The contract he signed with Columbus was still ridiculous. Might need to include Timmins as well for a salary cap ballast.

But to echo your sentiment, yes I also think he could be a nice fit next to Rielly assuming all the bigger names are off the board

Is Timmins + 3rd/4th for Gubrandson (50% retained) too much?

Reactions: Duffman955

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
It sort of sounds like Treliving is adopting the following:
  • Trade our 1st rounder if it means acquiring a legit top 4 defenseman with term (unlikely, hard to do, realistically who other than Hanifin is even available?)
  • Acquire a depth defenseman for secondary assets i.e. Tanev for multiple mid round picks and B prospects (much more likely)

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is this as close to a NMC as you can get ... okay 1 would be but a 3 Team Trade list?

Logon Couture - 3 Team Trade list.

His $8mm Cap Hit for another 3 years on top of that. (Ages 35,36,37 left)

Signed by Doug Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad