Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Hanifin was a pipe dream anyway. He’d be a pure rental and I really think of Treliving is going to move the FRP it’s going to be for a guy with term. If we move our FRP for old man Tanev I’m going to be pissed

Reactions: Kurtz

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I feel like McMann has made trading Robertson easier imo, especially if we go all out to make a pitch for Andersson using Robertson and our 1st round pick.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I feel like McMann has made trading Robertson easier imo, especially if we go all out to make a pitch for Andersson using Robertson and our 1st round pick.

Not at all - I think we need them both especially after watching guys like Mikheyev, Hyman, etc walk recently. These guys we can keep on cheap deals for the next 2-3 years and help us compete. The only exception I'll make is for a top pairing D, which I doubt is available barring overpayment anyway (and we're in no place to be forcing moves with the prospect and draft capital we have).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Forgot about him.

He was one of the prospects I hoped we would work with and I was happy when we signed him.

Having said that, unfortunately I have more confidence in the Bruins getting him going than I do the Leafs.
Scored in his first game with the Bruins today.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
What would people be willing to add to our 1st to get Larsson?

Would look unbelievable with Rielly.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Tanev if it’s not a first straight up.
Chychrun for Lilly and 1st?
I would do Zub but I doubt they give him up.
I wonder about Fowler tbh.

Weegar/andersson may ask out.

Most ufa d are on playoff teams. Demelo. Roy. Pesce/skej

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Tanev if it’s not a first straight up.
Chychrun for Lilly and 1st?
I would do Zub but I doubt they give him up.
I wonder about Fowler tbh.

Weegar/andersson may ask out.

Most ufa d are on playoff teams. Demelo. Roy. Pesce/skej
I'm hard-pressed to imagine that LA will sell, and Carolina definitely will not. More than likely, it will be Tanev, or a guy from another clear non-playoff team (David Savard is another possibility, and I can't imagine he would cost much).

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Still wish we could find a way to get Larsson out of Seattle. Perfect partner for Rielly, signed for 1 more year as well.

To Toronto-
Larsson
Wennberg

To Seattle-
Jarnkrok
Robertson
Reaves
Niemela
1st Round Pick

Knies-Matthews-Marner
McMann-Domi-Nylander
Bertuzzi-Wennberg-Tavares
Gregor-Kampf-Holmberg

Rielly-Larsson
Brodie-Liljegren
Benoit- McCabe

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
What would people be willing to add to our 1st to get Larsson?

Would look unbelievable with Rielly.
You would have to think at least Niemela and that really depends on how the Kraken feel about him. Without my homer glasses on I know he isn't blue chip and doesn't have one overwhelming tool that will assure him of being a top guy 4 in the show, I do think he has shown a nice upside and has displayed continual improvement so he has solid prospect status.. You have to give to get and the club needs shutdown talent more than a pure PMD. AL isn't a guy the Kraken want to move so not really comparable to Tanev and he is also younger, cheaper, and has that extra year. So get the wallet out.

1st, Topi, and a 3rd for AL and a 4th. Would you do Lilly for Tanev? I am in Edmonton and watched the sea change when they added Ekholm. Every Oilers heart grew three sizes that day. The forwards could immediately play a much different game because turnovers suddenly died at their blueline and they went on a monster tear, only to be let down by porous goaltending. Imagine adding two Ekholms.

I don't think the Leafs could possibly regret the above Larsson deal as much as a Lilly trade because he is almost fully cooked and could make it look bad by next season. But right now he is still a maybe who will have a career but might never move the needle. The window is now.

Reactions: LeafEgo

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Earlier in the year I thought that we needed a lot of help at forward, but the recent play of Holmberg, McMann, and Robertson has made me feel better. To me, they are all good NHL forwards, and should not come out of the lineup again. If we add a solid bottom-six center, I think we might be set up front.

We need help at RHD. Love how Brodie has played at LHD. If we do manage to get Tanev, and we had better not overpay if we do, how do people feel about:

Rielly - Tanev,
Brodie - Lily
Benoit - McCabe.

Seems a lot better defence than we have had in a while. Not the best, but still would be hard to do better without a massive trade.
yeah...seeing the other pairings with Rielly out had me thinking the same. That bottom four looks pretty solid. We should keep them together and figure out who to olay with Rielly. Tanev is the top choice without an overpayment. Lyubushkin? Even Lagesson?

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
if we could just get Tanev for less than a first I would say that's good enough on the backend and then try and add a guy like Boone Jenner.

Jenner for a first plus Jarnkrok

Tavares Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Knies Jenner Robertson
McMann Kampf Reeves(think we might need him against Boston and Florida)
Holmberg

Rielly Tanev
Brodie Lilly
Benoit McCabe

Reactions: jiggy35

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We're way overthinking this

Trading our good young players for older rentals or guys with one year left on there deals makes no sense to me unless our guys are asking for massive money and can't be negotiated down

Keep Robertson, Liljegren, McMann, Steeves and our best prospects, thats how we fill our roster cheaply going forward

Get a partner for Rielly, if it takes our first i don't love it but so be it, maybe get another botton 6 forward that can PK but that's not a deal breaker

knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
Robertson Domi Jarnkrok
Trenin Kampf McMann

Rielly Tanev
Brodie Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

Woll
Samsonov

Not bad if there committed and play like it

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm hard-pressed to imagine that LA will sell, and Carolina definitely will not. More than likely, it will be Tanev, or a guy from another clear non-playoff team (David Savard is another possibility, and I can't imagine he would cost much).

I’m hoping for someone with term.
If it’s Tanev.

25th ish for Tanev and 40th ish. That’s a pretty fair deal for a rental.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I’m hoping for someone with term.
If it’s Tanev.

25th ish for Tanev and 40th ish. That’s a pretty fair deal for a rental.
The Leafs will probably end up finishing 6th or 7th overall in the league. The first round pick won't be anything special.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
We're way overthinking this

Trading our good young players for older rentals or guys with one year left on there deals makes no sense to me unless our guys are asking for massive money and can't be negotiated down

Keep Robertson, Liljegren, McMann, Steeves and our best prospects, thats how we fill our roster cheaply going forward

Get a partner for Rielly, if it takes our first i don't love it but so be it, maybe get another botton 6 forward that can PK but that's not a deal breaker

knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
Robertson Domi Jarnkrok
Trenin Kampf McMann

Rielly Tanev
Brodie Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

Woll
Samsonov

Not bad if there committed and play like it
I'd rather not pay the first for a 34 year old UFA who's best trait is the amount of punishment he subjects himself to, especially when their could potentially be so many better UFA options in the summer.

I agree with the rest of your sentiment though, especially knowing how much we will need ELC and 2nd contract players to fill our depth roles.

The Leafs will probably end up finishing 6th or 7th overall in the league. The first round pick won't be anything special.
Sounds like it will be an earlier pick than:

Cowan 28th 2023
Minten 38th 2022
Knies 57th 2021
Robertson 53rd 2019

Our scouts are pretty darn good in that area lately, lets let them pick!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd rather not pay the first for a 34 year old UFA who's best trait is the amount of punishment he subjects himself to, especially when their could potentially be so many better UFA options in the summer.

I agree with the rest of your sentiment though, especially knowing how much we will need ELC and 2nd contract players to fill our depth roles.
I think you have to either trade the first and give this year a go or you hold steady and build for next season

I just don't think we can get a good enough defenseman using a B prospect and mid round pick to make a difference this season

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think you have to either trade the first and give this year a go or you hold steady and build for next season

I just don't think we can get a good enough defenseman using a B prospect and mid round pick to make a difference this season
Agreed, and it's why I think the first will be traded.

Reactions: Kiwi

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

I think we can use B prospects and mid round picks for a stop gap (most people want to take a chance on Peeke and he certainly wouldnt cost a lot).

I dont mind this approach, as long as the coach actually puts the player with Rielly and lets Brodie slide to that second pairing with Liljegren.

Risky plan but is it really any less risky than banking on 34 year old Tanev not to come here and Foligno us?

Reactions: aingefan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think we can use B prospects and mid round picks for a stop gap (most people want to take a chance on Peeke and he certainly wouldnt cost a lot).

I dont mind this approach, as long as the coach actually puts the player with Rielly and lets Brodie slide to that second pairing with Liljegren.

Risky plan but is it really any less risky than banking on 34 year old Tanev not to come here and Foligno us?

Id only Trade for Peeke if Kampf or Reeves goes the other way, that contract blows

Bad money for bad money but in an area of need

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No rentals, unless you can immediately extend them.

Jenner is a pipe dream.

1. Partner for Mo.
2. 3C/2C

We will need a goalie next year as well..... All of these pieces will be available in UFA this coming year.... If we can make those acquisitions now, that's great too... as long as the cost isn't too much.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad