Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
You have to think that any trade for Rasmus Andersson starts with something like...

To Calgary
1st Round Pick
Timothy Liljegren
Fraser Minten

Calgary probably also manages to get a Hirvonen / Abruzzeze caliber prospect in the trade or another 3rd round pick, in addition.

Reactions: ULF_55

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
If the coach and management are down on Liljegren and Robertson perhaps an option is to get two players in a similar situation and give everybody a change of scenery

Liljegren for Fabbro and Robertson for Kaliyev
Thats not the type of trade I would look to make. I think we lose both swaps here too

Reactions: Buds17 and arso40

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Since the leafs have interest in Carrier why not a bigger package of Trenin, Carrier and Schenn at 50 percent retained.

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
Trenin Domi Jarnkrok
McMann Kampf Gregor

Rielly Schenn
McCabe Carrier
Benoit Lilly
Giordano

Brodie and Robertson plus a 3rd traded to Nashville
Nashville can trade Brodie for some picks
We keep all of our top prospects

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Since the leafs have interest in Carrier why not a bigger package of Trenin, Carrier and Schenn at 50 percent retained.

Knies Matthews Marner
Trenin Domi Jarnkrok
McMann Kampf Gregor

Rielly Schenn
McCabe Carrier
Benoit Lilly
Giordano

Third line loses the offense

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Third line loses the offense
Trenin a damn good defensive forward and he can provide some offence when needed, especially playing with a playmaker like Domi. Adds some much needed size to that line as well who can play around the net and in the dirty areas.

Reactions: DougGilmour93

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Knies Matthews Marner
Trenin Domi Jarnkrok
McMann Kampf Gregor

Rielly Schenn
McCabe Carrier
Benoit Lilly
Giordano

Bertuzzi still on the 2nd. line with Tavares?

Reactions: arso40

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Agreed. Cycle player playing on a rush team. Maybe playoffs will change things.

Rush teams get shut down come playoff time because the checking gets tighter and the teams tend to clog up center ice disrupting rushes making it far more dump and chase and a cycle game.

Bertuzzi put up 5 goals and 5 assists in 7 games in last year playoffs with Boston.

You know how many times in the past 7 playoff season Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares put up 10 points in round #1? ... Answer = Zero.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Cycle player playing on a rush team.
That's not really an accurate way to describe the player or the team.
Rush teams get shut down come playoff time
No they don't. Where are you getting this idea from?
Bertuzzi put up 5 goals and 5 assists in 7 games in last year playoffs with Boston.
In a fluky, unsustainable way, mostly on the PP, while not playing all that great.
You know how many times in the past 7 playoff season Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares put up 10 points in round #1? ... Answer = Zero.
That's not even true. Marner did it last year.

Reactions: arso40

weems

Jul 3, 2008
How is he a cycle player? Tavares is the center on a rush line??

Nylander and Gregor are our only fast forwards and most of the offense we generate starts on the wall or behind the net.

I would say both McMann and Domi are fast.

Top skating speed (mph) 2023-2024

McMann 23.45
Gregor 22.97
Domi 22.52
Nylander 22.35

Nylander is by far the best all around skater on the team when you factor in agility and edge work.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Knies Matthews Marner
Trenin Domi Jarnkrok
McMann Kampf Gregor

Rielly Schenn
McCabe Carrier
Benoit Lilly
Giordano

If you think Brodie hasn't been good... wait until you find out about Schenn. I wonder how badly Nashville wants a gimme on Schenn and how much Schenn regrets going there because he's been struggling badly. I was reading he has had some very lazy and uninspired efforts this season. He's not even playing 15 minutes a game... yeesh.

And I'd prefer to target Novak from the Preds.

Last edited:
Reactions: meefer

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
If you think Brodie hasn't been good... wait until you find out about Schenn. I wonder how badly Nashville wants a gimme on Schenn and how much Schenn regrets going there because he's been struggling badly. I was reading he has had some very lazy and uninspired efforts this season. He's not even playing 15 minutes a game... yeesh.
We wanted to get paid deservedly so after the cheap deals hes signed to stay in the league just succs the team isn’t good but atleast he got his money

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
If you honestly look at this team we are at least 6 players away from serious contention. I think Dubas recognized this last year when he made I think it was 7 trades. If we are speaking in reality I would not make any make any serious trades, this team just does not deserve it. IE trading our 1st or Mieten/Cowan, the team is just too far away from being an honest contender. If Bert and Max all of a sudden become 20 /25 goal scorers and Knies takes a huge leap in his development, maybe we have a legit chance but Max and Bert a huge disappointments, expecting a 1st year player straight out of the NCAA to produce at a 1st line rate is expecting a lot.

If we are fantasy GMing, I'd make 3 changes up front and 3 on the back end. To do this I would have to move 4 contracts, that are probably unmoveable in Gio, Domi, Reaves, Brodie.

- From Philly I'd go after Konecny and Laughton
- From Calgary I'd go after Hanafin and Tanev
- From St Lou I'd go after Parayko
- from CBJ I'd go after Jenner.
- Money retained in some of those deals

Konecky - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Laughton - Jenner - Jarnkrok
Gregor - Holmberg - McMann

Hanifin - Parayko
Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Lily
Benoit

All these moves underlies how far i think we are away from being a legit contender. We lack competitiveness and defensive ability, throughout the line up. Oh and fire the coach. I bolded the parts that I feel are missing attributes in the current roster that would help this team.

SCOUTING REPORT - Travis Konecky
The versatile forward is an Energizer-bunny type who is always moving; he can be used in a variety of roles. Skates well and is a fine playmaker, but he is also a good enough shooter that opponents cannot play off of him. His competitive nature and aggressive style of play help to compensate for his lack of optimum size. Threat to score on PK.
Long Range Potential: Feisty forward with good offensive skills.

SCOUTING REPORT - Scott Laughton
The feisty, hard-working forward plays bigger than his size. He can be used in any situation because of his two-way skills and is a threat to score while killing penalties. Mostly a winger, he can play center as well. Could benefit by adding some strength to complement his aggressive style of play. Is definitely a team-first player.
Long Range Potential: Versatile, industrious forward.

SCOUTING REPORT - Noah Hanifin
Moves the puck quickly and efficiently thanks to his excellent skating ability. His hockey sense is continuing to improve as he enters his prime, and he continues to fill out physically, allowing him to play 20-plus minutes on a regular basis (with time on both special teams, if needed). He still has work to do on his play without the puck and lacks physicality.
Long Range Potential: Smooth-skating, all-around defenseman.

SCOUTING REPORT - Chris Tanev
Is still an excellent shutdown defender in his 30s. He has a quick stick, perfect for breaking up plays, and is excellent at easing attackers to the outside rather than allowing them into prime scoring areas. Though he is not a big point producer, he is an excellent partner for someone who is because of his high hockey IQ and selflessness.
Long Range Potential: Shutdown defenseman.

SCOUTING REPORT - Colton Parayko
Has grown into a greater defense-minded role after entering the NHL as more of an offensive defenseman. He still has plenty of mobility and a huge shot that is a weapon from the point, but now spends more time killing penalties than on the power play. He can play well over 20 minutes per game on a consistent basis, though he is not always as physical as his size would indicate he should be. Excels at shutting down scorers.
Long Range Potential: Excellent shutdown defenseman with a big shot.

SCOUTING REPORT - Boone Jenner
Is a "lead by example" type who has a high compete level, relentless work ethic, and he can put the puck in the net. Has good size, is willing to go to the dirty areas to score and sticks his nose in to win puck battles. He drives the pace of play and can play in all game situations, but has to become more consistent in order to maximize his abilities.
Long Range Potential: Big, well-rounded forward and leader.

Last edited:

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
If you honestly look at this team we are at least 6 players away from serious contention. I think Dubas recognized this last year when he made I think it was 7 trades. If we are speaking in reality I would not make any make any serious trades, this team just does not deserve it. IE trading our 1st or Mieten/Cowan, the team is just too far away from being an honest contender. If Bert and Max all of a sudden become 20 /25 goal scorers and Knies takes a huge leap in his development, maybe we have a legit chance but Max and Bert a huge disappointments, expecting a 1st year player straight out of the NCAA to produce at a 1st line rate is expecting a lot.

If we are fantasy GMing, I'd make 3 changes up front and 3 on the back end. To do this I would have to move 4 contracts, that are probably unmoveable in Gio, Domi, Reaves, Brodie.

- From Philly I'd go after Konecny and Laughton
- From Calgary I'd go after Hanafin and Tanev
- From St Lou I'd go after Parayko
- from CBJ I'd go after Jenner.
- Money retained in some of those deals

Konecky - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Laughton - Jenner - Jarnkrok
Gregor - Holmberg - McMann

Hanifin - Parayko
Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Lily
Benoit

All these moves underlies how far i think we are away from being a legit contender. We lack competitiveness and defensive ability, throughout the line up. Oh and fire the coach. I bolded the parts that I feel are missing attributes in the current roster that would help this team.

SCOUTING REPORT - Travis Konecky
The versatile forward is an Energizer-bunny type who is always moving; he can be used in a variety of roles. Skates well and is a fine playmaker, but he is also a good enough shooter that opponents cannot play off of him. His competitive nature and aggressive style of play help to compensate for his lack of optimum size. Threat to score on PK.
Long Range Potential: Feisty forward with good offensive skills.

SCOUTING REPORT - Scott Laughton
The feisty, hard-working forward plays bigger than his size. He can be used in any situation because of his two-way skills and is a threat to score while killing penalties. Mostly a winger, he can play center as well. Could benefit by adding some strength to complement his aggressive style of play. Is definitely a team-first player.
Long Range Potential: Versatile, industrious forward.

SCOUTING REPORT - Noah Hanifin
Moves the puck quickly and efficiently thanks to his excellent skating ability. His hockey sense is continuing to improve as he enters his prime, and he continues to fill out physically, allowing him to play 20-plus minutes on a regular basis (with time on both special teams, if needed). He still has work to do on his play without the puck and lacks physicality.
Long Range Potential: Smooth-skating, all-around defenseman.

SCOUTING REPORT - Chris Tanev
Is still an excellent shutdown defender in his 30s. He has a quick stick, perfect for breaking up plays, and is excellent at easing attackers to the outside rather than allowing them into prime scoring areas. Though he is not a big point producer, he is an excellent partner for someone who is because of his high hockey IQ and selflessness.
Long Range Potential: Shutdown defenseman.

SCOUTING REPORT - Colton Parayko
Has grown into a greater defense-minded role after entering the NHL as more of an offensive defenseman. He still has plenty of mobility and a huge shot that is a weapon from the point, but now spends more time killing penalties than on the power play. He can play well over 20 minutes per game on a consistent basis, though he is not always as physical as his size would indicate he should be. Excels at shutting down scorers.
Long Range Potential: Excellent shutdown defenseman with a big shot.

SCOUTING REPORT - Boone Jenner
Is a "lead by example" type who has a high compete level, relentless work ethic, and he can put the puck in the net. Has good size, is willing to go to the dirty areas to score and sticks his nose in to win puck battles. He drives the pace of play and can play in all game situations, but has to become more consistent in order to maximize his abilities.
Long Range Potential: Big, well-rounded forward and leader.
How on earth do we acquire all those guys let alone fit them under the cap?

Reactions: Menzinger and nuck

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
This is a big exaggeration,. Two players in key spots and this lineup can contend with any other team in the league.
Realistically they are a top 4 dman and a top 9C away IMO.

Shifting Domi to the wing gives you added depth on the wing if u get a top 9c.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Realistically they are a top 4 dman and a top 9C away IMO.

Shifting Domi to the wing gives you added depth on the wing if u get a top 9c.
Agreed, and those aren't "sell the farm" guys to acquire. They will absolutely acquire a top 4 defenseman between now and the deadline, and it's almost equally certain they will acquire another center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad