Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is that the message you want to send to the other players on the team? If so why not do it with Marner too………..

The message being if you're not playing well or we're not having success, you're replaceable? Yep, I like that message. It should all be about the crest at the front and whatever it takes to have success as a team.

Marner isn't remotely as close to unplayable as JT right now, he's still on pace for 90 something points. He's not in that healthy scratch territory at all.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

horner

May 22, 2007
2 UHA's that I would like to sign

We need a tough skilled bottom six that takes the body And a tough Dman along with Benoit

Joshua Dakota C 6" 2" 190 lbs
On pace for 41 pts 47 % FOW
4 yrs * 2.5 mil

Zadorov Big and mean has some skill I think he can play on your 2nd pair
5 yrs * 4.5 mil

Forsling 5 yrs * 6 mil

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
People really need to get off the idea that any of Marner, Nylander or Tavares being moved. It's not happening. These guys will be Leafs for life or until they don't want to be. This is the bed they've made with this group. The time they could have been moved was last year by Dubas but they decided against that.
This is 100% correct.

horner

May 22, 2007
B
People really need to get off the idea that any of Marner, Nylander or Tavares being moved. It's not happening. These guys will be Leafs for life or until they don't want to be. This is the bed they've made with this group. The time they could have been moved was last year by Dubas but they decided against that.

It's an addition by subtraction situation now. I can't imagine some of these Marlies would do much worse at this point than Domi's and Bertuzzi's combined 10 goals.
If we don't make the playoffs things may change JT

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Aside from blowing our wad on D in the offseason the only forward i would spend money on would be Chandler Stephenson as a 2C, has wheels, heart and a cup.

More setup then shooter, he can move JT to wing or 3C.
He can kill penalties and take tough matchups. Vegas is up against the cap next year.

Reactions: Stephen and ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The message being if you're not playing well or we're not having success, you're replaceable? Yep, I like that message. It should all be about the crest at the front and whatever it takes to have success as a team.

Marner isn't remotely as close to unplayable as JT right now, he's still on pace for 90 something points. He's not in that healthy scratch territory at all.
I think Marner's a much bigger issue than JT. JT only has one more year left, and than he's either gone, or quite possibly he signs a team friendly deal, either way he's no longer a problem but Marner's a different story. I mean if you want to sign him again and pay him somewhere between the Nylander and Matthews contracts that's one thing but if not, then getting something back for him instead of him walking would obviously be the way to go.

For JT it would be hard to find takers, for Marner we'd get a lot back that could help us going forward so he's the guy I'd pressure to waive, trade him immediately for prospects/picks or ideally, young talent, focus on rebuilding the D and hope to rise up again in 25-26.

But ... that's not the way this cupcake of an organization rolls so don't expect anyone to be pressured to waive, expect to instead extend Marner for between 12.5 and 13 million for as many years as he chooses and be prepared for another decade of irrelevance.

Reactions: rumman and WTFMAN99

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Could the Rangers and Tavares have a mutual interest if the Leafs were to hold nearly 50% and take Goodrow back?

If he ever were to waive, I think he would need one of two things: A good team or a team with lots of sun and no tax.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Could the Rangers and Tavares have a mutual interest if the Leafs were to hold nearly 50% and take Goodrow back?

If he ever were to waive, I think he would need one of two things: A good team or a team with lots of sun and no tax.

San Jose - cap space and on his list at UFA
Dallas - On his list at UFA - I think we'd need to take back Faksa
Arizona - Would he waive for a so-so team? Sun and taxes are nice
Nashville - Transitioning, they want character guys, he's cheap at 910k and taxes are nice
Boston (no chance with cap)
Minnesota (need for centre, no cap)

Those seem like the best chance

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
San Jose - cap space and on his list at UFA
Dallas - On his list at UFA - I think we'd need to take back Faksa
Arizona - Would he waive for a so-so team? Sun and taxes are nice
Nashville - Transitioning, they want character guys, he's cheap at 910k and taxes are nice
Boston (no chance with cap)
Minnesota (need for centre, no cap)

Those seem like the best chance
He's not going anywhere near San Jose now. Dallas maybe.

He's going to want a competitive team, surely. Like NYR or Florida. Perhaps even Carolina.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Even if it was something that both the team and JT would consider, would we be able to find an upgrade for the space we would gain after retention?

I'm guessing you'd need to prioritize a fit with Willy - Keys being speed and defensive responsibility.

JT is also a big part of any net front presence we have right now so that would need to be considered when retooling the roster.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'd like to see JT spend the rest of the season on the wing, with Holmberg at C, before we decide on anything drastic in the offseason.

Fun fact- JT-Holmberg-Nylander in 24-25 cost 200k less than Bert-JT-Willy in 23-24

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The Leafs could run the following pairs me year and be fine. The issue is if they can’t get Roy there need a back up plan that can carry a 2nd pair.

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Liljegren

Reactions: Menzinger

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

why would we make that deal? Goodrow has 5 points in 43 games this year, he's on the books for 3 more season's at 3.6. so this move only saves us 1.9 million in cap next year and cost us an extra 3.6 for the following two years or 2.4 if we demote him?

I know JT is in a slump currently no doubt lets see if he can get out of it.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
why would we make that deal? Goodrow has 5 points in 43 games this year, he's on the books for 3 more season's at 3.6. so this move only saves us 1.9 million in cap next year and cost us an extra 3.6 for the following two years or 2.4 if we demote him?

I know JT is in a slump currently no doubt lets see if he can get out of it.
More than that, change is needed as well.

You could possibly get NYR to hold a portion of Goodrow's cap hit due to the 2 years left that you mentioned. Something between 500k-1m.

You could also look at options for moving Goodrow after that. Anything from a trade (with retention) to a buyout.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The Leafs could run the following pairs me year and be fine. The issue is if they can’t get Roy there need a back up plan that can carry a 2nd pair.

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Liljegren
For me, if McCabe is in the top 4, he needs a very mobile partner. The team also needs a back PP guy.

I'd also rather just get Roy and pair him with Rielly and forget about Tanev.

horner

May 22, 2007
I think it's more likely he signs an extension than traded.
I would be shocked if they did.
7 games he has done nothing.
If he isn't scoring he's of no use if he could transition into a defensive center then he would be worth 5 mil.
But he isnt

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Note about Tavares. On the season he's shooting 7.5% .. his career average is 12.9%

If he was up to hit average he'd have 8 more goals and up to 20 on the season, while bringing his scoring back closer to PPG.

He's struggled but there is also some bad luck there.

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
The time is right to regroup and start again next year. Sell the ufa’s for once and get young assets back (picks/prospects). It’s not throwing in the towel it’s just not spending futures on a team that isn’t going anywhere. We’ve seen teams be sellers and go on a run as well (Nashville recently).

The group isn’t a player away and the core 5 can’t be moved. It’s ok to regroup and try to retool on the fly. Come back next year with a new coach and some younger players to complement the core. It can’t be any worse

Reactions: BertCorbeau

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Apparently Elliotte mentioned Leafs will be quiet at the deadline, and that they will build around Auston, Nylander and Rielly. Interestingly Marner's name was not mentioned. Actions speak louder but maybe a good sign?

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
They have the Brodie and Klingberg cap space to spin into new defenders in free agency. There will be no excuses for not getting at least 1 top 4 D.

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad