Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Sell whomever isn’t signed long term. Make moves based on acquiring assets for offseason trades when more D are available. Don’t think about abstract reputational things or get bogged down by all this Shanahan baggage. Get a prospect or pick for every one of Brodie, Bertuzzi, Domi, whomever. Flip those things in the summer for roster upgrades. JMO. 2024 isn’t worth investing in.
Well I don't blame you for feeling that way.

How did you feel last season?
When Dubas acquired Acciari, O'Reilly, McCabe, etc. did you feel like they were going to deep? I never did. I just think that right now (although not doing great) TOR already has deadline types (Bertuzzi/Domi) on their roster already.

Reactions: arso40

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The contracts expired, so they no longer belonged to the Leafs. They were available to every team. Some didn't want to resign and collectively over doubled their cap hit.

They were rentals, why belabor this.

With the contracts they signed this summer, a roster of

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-Holmberg-Jarncrok
Lafferty-Kampf-Acciari
McMann

RIelly-Schenn
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit-Brodie
Gio

Samsonov
Woll

Is cap compliant, with 315k left over. Maybe that could have been used to avoid arbitration with Samsonov, thereby not breaking his brain by giving him a detailed list of why we think he's shit.

That team is lightyears better defensively by virtue of building a proper bottom 6 with pker's, and two lines that don't need to be sheltered.

Don't like the Bunting and Schenn on those contracts, or in those spots? Neither do I. 7.25 in free agency to get Rielly a stay at home partner that can help the pk, and M&M a 3rd fiddle.
Don't want Kerfoot back? Fine 3.5 or less to get a speedy LW that can pk, is competent defensively, and support the transition game in the bottom 6/ or a decent defensive C that pushes Holmberg to LW.
Don't like Acciari- don't talk to me about defense/pk/grit/the importance of the bottom 6.

10.75m to fill 3 spots and still have a 22 man roster, while not completely forgetting that penalty killing is a part of hockey and ignoring the fundamentals of line construction/roles in the bottom 6.

Don't like the overall balance? Trade Marner or Nylander at the draft before their protections kick in.

The bottom line is that the table was set for this to be our best post core ELC roster. The rightful expectation was to be better, not take 3 steps back.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
In the past they’ve bought at the deadline for “how hard they’ve worked”

This year should be the opposite.
We're a soft weak defensive team , the lat 2 nights we havent showed up in time .
We have way to much to fix up on this team
We need a new coach the style we are playing isn't working.
It was a perfect storm this year.
Sammy is a tire fire
Brodie has went of a cliff
JT can't do anything is this the decline in his game , if it is we aren't winning anything.
Defence
Mo is great offensively but not great in the defensive zone
Ljilgren really good player but gets pushed of the puck really easy
McCabe for 2 mil is worth it
Gio can not play every day
Benoit love his game a keeper
Brodie has lost a step and confidence soft in the dzone
Ufa money and trades targeted for d finally
We need 3 dman a couple of tough defensive dman at least and offensive dman

Our 1st rd draft pick probably be 15 overall

JT if there is anyway to get rid of his contract do so

Get set up to take a run when JT's contract is up

Marner offer him 11.5 mil take it or leave it

knies love his game although I think he has hit a wall
Holmberg is a third liner love his game needs to work on his shit
Cowen Minten Grebyonkin don't want any of these players moved

At the TDL
Bertuzzi
Domi
Brodie retain on him

P

Reactions: arso40

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
I do not expect much until Shanahan is gone. I heard enough to believe this guy would block any trade involving anyone major on the team. Say what you will about Dubas but I think a big reason he left was because Shanahan tied his hands as well. Trev is in the same boat now.

This team will remain the same until Shanahan is gone.

horner

May 22, 2007
Oleksiak Larsson Jenner Peeke. These are the types of guys we need
Saros is having bad year for those wanting trade for him.
Last # of games games save %
Nashville said the will trade him for an over payment

Are you willing to trade a
1st, Cowen, Minten
not me

Binnington

Both of these teams play a better defensive game than we do

Not available for a trade
Everyone agrees that Ottenger is one of the top goaltender
.97p
Again a better defensive game than we do

Goaltending is vodo

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
lost season IMO.
Would rather move all our 1 year rentals (Bert, Domi, Brodie ect), recoup some assets, and retool in the off-season.

zero interest in moving our 1st this year unless it's parts of a package for a legit top 4 with term.

This is probably the "smart" move as this point. Too many holes have opened up with regressions and signings that didn't work out.

I think step one is a coaching change to see if we can right the ship before totally giving up. Give some more shots to our AHL guys. See if anything sticks.

For trades I can see some minor tweaks in season but major shakeups might be out of reach.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’d hold onto Bertuzzi, even though he would probably give you the best return in a trade. All for trading Domi and Brodie.

I’d look into acquiring draft picks and some role players who can slot into our bottom six properly next year. Players that know their roles and can help on the PK.

Winnipeg looks to be a potential trading partner looking for center depth and defensive depth. I’d offer up either Domi or Brodie for Montreal’s 2nd and Barron.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The support system wasn't stripped down, it expired. Dubie only rented it, using all of our assets
We were good defensively last year before those trades too, and that wasn't anywhere close to all of our assets. In fact, for all the dramatics, our rental transactions at least year's deadline work out to Sandin/Engvall/2nd/3rd/4th for O'Rielly/Schenn/Acciari/Gustafsson. Obviously not future-destroying.

Some pieces remained. Some pieces expired, and provided abundant money to re-sign or replace. Some pieces Treliving traded.
There were certainly plenty of options to keep us good defensively.
He salted the earth before we could finally get rid of him.
He actually fertilized the earth, which is why we're currently getting more internal prospect help than we've gotten since coming out of our rebuild in 2016; with more almost ready.
Hopefully he has learned that Marner needs to be traded to balance the roster.
It's a good thing that no Leaf GM has learned something so incorrect.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I liked the chippiness last night but gio and Brodie have lost a step …evident in a game like that . Ideally you’d replace both gio and Brodie but that’s a longer term fix Imo . For now I’d go for a higher quality d , top 4. Then give Brodie a month off and hope it’s just being hurt or tired .

Gio should be a 7th d

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
We were good defensively last year before those trades too, and that wasn't anywhere close to all of our assets. In fact, for all the dramatics, our rental transactions at least year's deadline work out to Sandin/Engvall/2nd/3rd/4th for O'Rielly/Schenn/Acciari/Gustafsson. Obviously not future-destroying.
It would be fascinating to see the value-tree of this so to speak

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If we're going to do anything, it should be trying to trade Bertuzzi for a defenseman and replacing his spot with Robertson. Upgrade our defense and offense in one move.

And I guess hope Woll goes on a run.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’d hold onto Bertuzzi, even though he would probably give you the best return in a trade. All for trading Domi and Brodie.

I’d look into acquiring draft picks and some role players who can slot into our bottom six properly next year. Players that know their roles and can help on the PK.

Winnipeg looks to be a potential trading partner looking for center depth and defensive depth. I’d offer up either Domi or Brodie for Montreal’s 2nd and Barron.
If you sell, anybody not named Matthews or Rielly should be for sale IMO.

Reactions: rumman

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I agree, but there is no way this team actually sells at the deadline (even if they should).

I can see a couple moves to shuffle the deck a little such as trading Brodie for a pick and younger player then flipping the pick for a defenceman like Walker type moves.

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

My list of untouchables in the organization is probably this;

Matthews
Rielly
Knies
Cowan

I don't think Nylander is being moved after the extension

After that, it's likely unlikely you'd get proper value on guys like Woll, Hildeby even Benoit.

We should be super open about trades though, the organization doesn't owe it to be nice to JT at this point, in 6 years of the 7 years, we've won 1 playoff round, we didn't get what we thought we were when we signed him.

Not only that, Treliving did not sign Tavares.

Reactions: ToneDog and TMLAM34

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I agree, but there is no way this team actually sells at the deadline (even if they should).

I can see a couple moves to shuffle the deck a little such as trading Brodie for a pick and younger player then flipping the pick for a defenceman like Walker type moves.
Who’s trading for Brodie, even as a insurance policy for a bottom pairing D man going down he’s a bad choice………

My list of untouchables in the organization is probably this;

Matthews
Rielly
Knies
Cowan

I don't think Nylander is being moved after the extension

After that, it's likely unlikely you'd get proper value on guys like Woll, Hildeby even Benoit.

We should be super open about trades though, the organization doesn't owe it to be nice to JT at this point, in 6 years of the 7 years, we've won 1 playoff round, we didn't get what we thought we were when we signed him.

Not only that, Treliving did not sign Tavares.
The real problem isn’t who you can move, it’s who you CAN’T move……..

Reactions: ToneDog

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Some pieces remained. Some pieces expired, and provided abundant money to re-sign or replace. Some pieces Treliving traded.
There were certainly plenty of options to keep us good defensively.

He actually fertilized the earth, which is why we're currently getting more internal prospect help than we've gotten since coming out of our rebuild in 2016; with more almost ready.

It's a good thing that no Leaf GM has learned something so incorrect.
Once again you've come in post-game with one more pro Dubas propaganda. Kyle mortgaged a lot more than you're mentioning. What about the future destroying created by bringing in an injured Foligno, Mrazek, and getting rid of Marleau?

Who are the players with term who came back in those trades?
Lafferty and McCabe?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

My assumption was that selling means they are not a playoff team. Otherwise, agree.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Who’s trading for Brodie, even as a insurance policy for a bottom pairing D man going down he’s a bad choice………

The real problem isn’t who you can move, it’s who you CAN’T move……..

Organization needs to be willing to get their hands dirty, specifically with a guy like JT.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He’s definitely been bad, the entire team has been bad. I think a team would take a chance on Brodie given his production throughout his career on the defensive end, especially if we retain 50%.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Organization needs to be willing to get their hands dirty, specifically with a guy like JT.
Is that JT Brodie or JT Tavares?

He’s definitely been bad, the entire team has been bad. I think a team would take a chance on Brodie given his production throughout his career on the defensive end, especially if we retain 50%.
Wishful thinking imo, get whatever you can for Brodie, Gio, Bert, Domi……..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad