Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We really need to sign a college UFA like a Tyler Bozak this year. Any candidates coming up?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I Wonder, how come Leafs managment can never identify a young promising dwfense-man in need of a role upgrade/oppurtunity and acquire them to be a top pairing d-man for our team?

We recently saw:

Hampus Lindholm to Boston --> Lindholm was viewed as a declining low end 3D. Boston valued his past performance and felt that he was a strong fit within their system. Boom, make a trade, extend long term and hes been a top 20D the past two years

Hronek to Canucks --> Nucks see a top 4D who has strong puck moving and offensive capabilities as undervalued/underused on DRW. They pay a solid price, get Hronek, and give him a top role with Hughes. Both end up incredible fits together resulting in one two top 10D on the same pairing

Devon Toews to Avs --> ava see a fringe top 4D who is still in his mid 20s who has strong skating, pffensive awareness and a good head for the game being undervalued/underused. Thet give 2 2nds, get their guy and he has 2-3 years of being a top 20D for them

We always sign bargain bin older guys, or trade for lower end guys who were once elite

We dont want to pay 1sts and/or high prospects for defenseman. We wait to long and are lefr with older guys who are flawed/not improving who have injury/decline risks (Muzzin + Brodie + Gio the past 3 or 4 years for us)

Lou failed at this, Dubas failed at, now Treliving is failing at it

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I Wonder, how come Leafs managment can never identify a young promising dwfense-man in need of a role upgrade/oppurtunity and acquire them to be a top pairing d-man for our team?

We recently saw:

Hampus Lindholm to Boston --> Lindholm was viewed as a declining low end 3D. Boston valued his past performance and felt that he was a strong fit within their system. Boom, make a trade, extend long term and hes been a top 20D the past two years

Hronek to Canucks --> Nucks see a top 4D who has strong puck moving and offensive capabilities as undervalued/underused on DRW. They pay a solid price, get Hronek, and give him a top role with Hughes. Both end up incredible fits together resulting in one two top 10D on the same pairing

Devon Toews to Avs --> ava see a fringe top 4D who is still in his mid 20s who has strong skating, pffensive awareness and a good head for the game being undervalued/underused. Thet give 2 2nds, get their guy and he has 2-3 years of being a top 20D for them

We always sign bargain bin older guys, or trade for lower end guys who were once elite

We dont want to pay 1sts and/or high prospects for defenseman. We wait to long and are lefr with older guys who are flawed/not improving who have injury/decline risks (Muzzin + Brodie + Gio the past 3 or 4 years for us)

Dante Fabbro and Andrew Peeke fall in to this category and are presumably available

We really need to sign a college UFA like a Tyler Bozak this year. Any candidates coming up?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

We recently saw:

With St. Louis outside the playoffs, Colton Parayko would be my primary target right now. The last 3 years, he has been transitioned into a shut-down defender. He's basically lost all of his PP time to Faulk and Krug, yet he still cracks 30ish points and 23 minutes per game. He'd be a great #2 for us, and give us a true shut-down option.

Next would be Noah Hanifin in Calgary. He's not the same physical defensive presence, but he could really anchor our 2nd pair and help carry a lesser #4.

After that, Connor Murphy in Chicago.

After that Adam Larsson in Seattle.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

We recently saw:

Add Weegar to the missed opportunities above as well.

I was onboard with and still am pulling for Timmins but it doesn’t look like Keefe has any appetite to give him development opportunity, so the jury remains out on that one.

Incredible blind spot for Dubas, along with his goalie decisions.

Treliving has shown with his signing of Lagesson and Benoit that he is able to pick up on those under the radar guys. He needs to do more for the RHD, starting with Peeke now and then UFA.

We dump on Klingberg, but I think people are forgetting how good he looked in the first few games before his injuries impacted his performance. It wasn’t a home run, but an injury doesn’t make it poor judgement, it makes it unfortunate for all.

I’m interested what Treliving does on defence, and I trust him more to get it right than Dubas.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

We recently saw:

The previous Dubas regime was not strong in selecting for defensemen in the draft, free agency or trades and struggled to assign value to them, and focused the majority of their effort on forward tinkering. Hesitated to put cap into that position.

At the amateur level they focused on forward talent, shied away from defensemen early and then valued sleeper small skill guys as market inefficiencies. This tactic tended not to align with big team needs so long standing Leaf needs were simply not fixable in house.

In terms of blueline upgrades, their only significant adds would be Muzzin as a retail acquisition. They probably needed another Muzzin to really get serious. Brodie was a solid UFA acquisition for many years and solidify the blueline. Justin Holl was a good homegrown farm hand made good. Muzzin and Brodie were just ridden into the ground from overuse with no succession planning.

Trade acquisitions like McCabe and Giordano don’t really make that much sense when compared to the impact of an Ekholm or Lindholm. Like why did we ever trade for a small 38 year old Gio as a solution?

Liljegren and Sandin are probably just okay for first rounders.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Spencer Martin waived by Columbus. Claim this man, doesn't even matter how bad. Cheap goalie.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bertuzzi seems like the potentially best candidate the team has for a hockey trade. He hasn't been a good fit with the team (even though I like his attitude some games), and his reputation probably hasn't been impacted all that much since signing.

Could be a means of getting a new top 9 forward to shake things up or a second pairing D man

Ideally the Leafs could identify an undervalued reclamation project for the swap

horner

May 22, 2007
The previous Dubas regime was not strong in selecting for defensemen in the draft, free agency or trades and struggled to assign value to them, and focused the majority of their effort on forward tinkering. Hesitated to put cap into that position.

At the amateur level they focused on forward talent, shied away from defensemen early and then valued sleeper small skill guys as market inefficiencies. This tactic tended not to align with big team needs so long standing Leaf needs were simply not fixable in house.

In terms of blueline upgrades, their only significant adds would be Muzzin as a retail acquisition. They probably needed another Muzzin to really get serious. Brodie was a solid UFA acquisition for many years and solidify the blueline. Justin Holl was a good homegrown farm hand made good. Muzzin and Brodie were just ridden into the ground from overuse with no succession planning.

Trade acquisitions like McCabe and Giordano don’t really make that much sense when compared to the impact of an Ekholm or Lindholm. Like why did we ever trade for a small 38 year old Gio as a solution?
Ng ng .
Liljegren and Sandin are probably just okay for first rounders.
We could have drafted Guhle but went for skill again .
This is not because of Amirov's death.
At the time of the draft we needed dman in the next 3 yrs.
DUBAS missed so many opportunities to upgrade our D.
Toews went for 2021 2nd + 2022 2nd
We wouldn't have had knies or Minten hind site being 20 20

Then we could have traded brodie last yr

That's only me thing you need 3 things to be a great team a strong
Goalie
Defence
Centers

When Sandin was drafted we could have drafted Samuelson 32 g nd pk a big shut down dman

Instead Dubas went for a small skilled dman
Hind site being 20 20 we wouldn't have Cowen

Iam pretty sure treliving would have played that differently back then

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We could have drafted Guhle but went for skill again .
This is not because of Amirov's death.
At the time of the draft we needed dman in the next 3 yrs.
DUBAS missed so many opportunities to upgrade our D.
Toews went for 2021 2nd + 2022 2nd
We wouldn't have had knies or Minten hind site being 20 20

Then we could have traded brodie last yr

That's only me thing you need 3 things to be a great team a strong
Goalie
Defence
Centers

When Sandin was drafted we could have drafted Samuelson 32 g nd pk a big shut down dman

Instead Dubas went for a small skilled dman
Hind site being 20 20 we wouldn't have Cowen

Iam pretty sure treliving would have played that differently back then

I didn't really want Guhle with the pick, was intrigued by Amirov's pre-draft branding, but also open to Braden Schneider (would have been a good player to be grooming now), and hoping for Askarov to fall to us.

Reactions: TheShape

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bertuzzi seems like the potentially best candidate the team has for a hockey trade. He hasn't been a good fit with the team (even though I like his attitude some games), and his reputation probably hasn't been impacted all that much since signing.

Could be a means of getting a new top 9 forward to shake things up or a second pairing D man

Ideally the Leafs could identify an undervalued reclamation project for the swap

He gives me Vertsteeg vibes. You could plausibly shift him out for anything, hockey trade, futures, etc.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

Bertuzzi at 50% retention will probably return decent draft picks.

Some team will gamble on him because they will look at his previous work and just assume his stint with Toronto wasn't the best fit.

I don't think we have to limit potential trade partners to contenders going on a cup run. It is also possible that some over zealous borderline play off team that hasn't seen the playoffs in years makes a deal for him. Assuming they have the cap to extend him, then they may see him as another piece to cement themselves as a playoff team going forward.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bertuzzi at 50% retention will probably return decent draft picks.

Some team will gamble on him because they will look at his previous work and just assume his stint with Toronto wasn't the best fit.

I don't think we have to limit potential trade partners to contenders going on a cup run. It is also possible that some over zealous borderline play off team that hasn't seen the playoffs in years makes a deal for him. Assuming they have the cap to extend him, then they may see him as another piece to cement themselves as a playoff team going forward.

I'm fine immediately flipping those picks for a player. Could be better if they have an extra year of term

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

I was jealous of this trade from day 1, such a smart move. Hronek would've fit with Rielly like a glove. Slides everyone else down one spot.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Yeah, basically three way the asset into a bigger package for what you really want. While also clearing cap.
In a perfect world, you get a decent young player in the trade directly. But that's unlikely to be the case most of the time. The picks are basically mystery boxes that can be included in most trades to make them viable.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Dante Fabbro and Andrew Peeke fall in to this category and are presumably available

I would like to gamble for one of these guys so long as the pieces going the other way make sense.

Fabbro is a RFA, so if he underperforms it is not a big deal.

With Peeke there is a chance he underperforms and then you are stuck paying 2.75 M for a bottom pairing RHD for 2 more years. I do Kampf+Reaves for Peeke but not sure Columbus does that. Play musical chairs with the negative contracts.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Since some people are talking about finding FA from the NCAA there is a few who would be worth chasing imo. Got the 2 from Quinnipiac in Graf and Quillian. TJ Hughes from Michigan and Huard from New Hampshire. Might be a few more but I saw these guys a few times when I watched a little more NCAA hockey than usual to watch Knies and a few other prospects.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
IMG_4139.jpeg
IMG_4138.png

Telling stats, no deadline trades will avoid the inevitable. This team is built wrong and the core 4 won’t ever get it done in the playoffs…atleast not in Toronto

Reactions: meefer and horner

horner

May 22, 2007
I was jealous of this trade from day 1, such a smart move. Hronek would've fit with Rielly like a glove. Slides everyone else down one spot.
Alot of missed opportunities because dubas was always going all in because our core can't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad