Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I’d call Boston and offer Bertuzzi @50% for Debrusk. Boston seemed to love Bertuzzi and the relationship with Debrusk has historically been rocky there. Both players are UFA, Boston saves 1.25M to use at the deadline. The Leafs get the younger player and get an opportunity to test out the fit and maybe RE-sign Debrusk.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’d call Boston and offer Bertuzzi @50% for Debrusk. Boston seemed to love Bertuzzi and the relationship with Debrusk has historically been rocky there. Both players are UFA, Boston saves 1.25M to use at the deadline. The Leafs get the younger player and get an opportunity to test out the fit and maybe RE-sign Debrusk.

Yeah may as well. Maybe grab a mid round pick or something too.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I might only prefer to complete this trade if a contract extension for DeBrusk is all but a certainty (since DeBrusk is only marginally younger and Toronto would be adding a fair bit to its cap for what would otherwise be a swap of pending UFAs between divisional and competitive rivals.)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the D market keeps being jammed up, I can potentially see a forward becoming a target instead (if the Leafs do decide to buy).

Otherwise I wonder how much the blue jackets are willing to be sellers.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
I would personally go big time hunting on D-man that fits the core (Hanifin, Chychrun, etc.) and leave it at that - then re-tool in the summer (try to trade one of the big-4, most likely Marner).

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I might only prefer to complete this trade if a contract extension for DeBrusk is all but a certainty (since DeBrusk is only marginally younger and Toronto would be adding a fair bit to its cap for what would otherwise be a swap of pending UFAs between divisional and competitive rivals.)
The extra 1.25M in cap shouldn’t impact the Leafs assuming they aren’t going shopping this year. I’d be weary of RE-signing Debrusk sight unseen given his up and down production over his career.

Reactions: Buds17 and horner

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
At this point I think you have to start considering a ‘bad contract ‘ dman and hope they change brings them back . Ie paryako, jones ,

At this point I think you have to start considering a ‘bad contract ‘ dman and hope they change brings them back . Ie paryako, jones ,

Reactions: 4thline

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012

I’d do Marner for Parayko as a base if we could… Marner + Timmins for Parayko + Buchnevic… and sign Perry

Buch - Matthews - Nylander
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Perry
Knies - Domi - Robertson
Gregor - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Parayko
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit/Gio - McCabe

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

I'd add Weegar to that list.

With Matthews contract we have a 4 year window (5 if you think this season can be salvaged). I'm starting to feel that if a D can give you those 4-5 years at a high enough level under contract than the downside after is the cost of doing business

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I’d do Marner for Parayko as a base if we could… Marner + Timmins for Parayko + Buchnevic… and sign Perry

Buch - Matthews - Nylander
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Perry
Knies - Domi - Robertson
Gregor - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Parayko
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit/Gio - McCabe
I think the pony is you can’t move any of your valuable assets cause of nmc so you need to try and find value /get lucky other ways . It’s a desperation move . If you could move one of your valuable players , like Marner, you go for legitimate value

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I'd add Weegar to that list.

With Matthews contract we have a 4 year window (5 if you think this season can be salvaged). I'm starting to feel that if a D can give you those 4-5 years at a high enough level under contract than the downside after is the cost of doing business
Weegar isn’t a bad contract . He’s having a resurgent season

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Very low chance we win a Marner trade unless we go for futures and take a step back imo.
I think you'll always lose that kind of trade but just as importantly as the trade itself is what you do with the additional cap space it opens up that makes it worthwhile even when knowing you're likely losing the actual trade.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Marner has a NMC. Why would he accept a trade to St. Louis? Why would he accept a trade anywhere as he's climbing the all time scoring list of his favourite hometown team? Its not happening.

The only way Marner ever leaves this team is as a free agent if they don't extend him.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The time to trade Marner was before his NMC kicked in, now it’s too late and next season he’s too good to let walk. Least JT only has one more year left…

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
The time to trade Marner was before his NMC kicked in, now it’s too late and next season he’s too good to let walk. Least JT only has one more year left…
Please do not resign jt locc domi up and make him the 2c

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Yeah Marner isn't going anywhere. Leafs will end up signing him to a contract that will get a similar reaction to the Nylander and Matthews ones (as is tradition). His NMC will have him holding all the cards heading into that negotiation. He's probably going to get mid 12's.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Marner has a NMC. Why would he accept a trade to St. Louis? Why would he accept a trade anywhere as he's climbing the all time scoring list of his favourite hometown team? Its not happening.

The only way Marner ever leaves this team is as a free agent if they don't extend him.
Well, why don't you/management just be honest?

Just say change is needed, and we don't really want you/them around here.

Players usually take the hint to waive at that point.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

I’m at the point where I would tell him he’s not getting extended, and we’d like to move him. It’s not personal, but for cap reasons, we just can’t keep you at the money you deserve.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well, why don't you/management just be honest?

Just say change is needed, and we don't really want you/them around here.

Players usually take the hint to waive at that point.
Perhaps on a rebuilding team, it's not going to happen here.

I’m at the point where I would tell him he’s not getting extended, and we’d like to move him. It’s not personal, but for cap reasons, we just can’t keep you at the money you deserve.
Which the team has a right to do. He'll then walk as a UFA.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The extra 1.25M in cap shouldn’t impact the Leafs assuming they aren’t going shopping this year. I’d be weary of RE-signing Debrusk sight unseen given his up and down production over his career.
Given all of that, I'd probably want to retain on Bertuzzi in exchange for something that might also benefit the Leafs in the future then (a pick or prospect). It isn't necessarily about the amount of the retention as much as it is about not wishing to help out Boston for what might be a minimal return. (although maybe I'd suggest reducing the retention to 1.5M/27% to have both players at 4M?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad