Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I could still see the Leafs acquiring one or maybe even both of Clutterbuck and Czikas from the Islanders (more likely the former than the latter, even though a centre addition would be more useful). Clutterbuck would probably be no more than a third round pick in terms of cost.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I am fairly sure if you retain on Bertuzzi, Domi, and Brodie you can get decent picks. Since they are all UFA, the Leafs shouldn't really care if they retain.

Let's say 50% retention - Bertuzzi at 2.75 M, Domi at 1.5 M, and Brodie at 2.5 M.
Late in the season means actually very little salary if it is pro-rated.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Yeah pretty much.

Chychrun isn't overly durable and his best asset would be PP contribution which is already something we get from Rielly.

We really do need to address the right side of defense.
Knowing the Sens, they will wait for the next year's deadline and deal him for peanuts.

The right side is difficult to figure out while there are many options for a 2nd pair LHD.

If the Leafs use their capspace in free agency, they should be able to get one decent top 4 D. The question is who do you prioritize. A top level D who can cost 7+M or a mid-level one that costs you 4-5 M per year. And the expensive ones are mostly LHD.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I am fairly sure if you retain on Bertuzzi, Domi, and Brodie you can get decent picks. Since they are all UFA, the Leafs shouldn't really care if they retain.

Let's say 50% retention - Bertuzzi at 2.75 M, Domi at 1.5 M, and Brodie at 2.5 M.
Late in the season means actually very little salary if it is pro-rated.
There is no chance they trade Bertuzzi or Domi.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Knowing the Sens, they will wait for the next year's deadline and deal him for peanuts.

The right side is difficult to figure out while there are many options for a 2nd pair LHD.

If the Leafs use their capspace in free agency, they should be able to get one decent top 4 D. The question is who do you prioritize. A top level D who can cost 7+M or a mid-level one that costs you 4-5 M per year. And the expensive ones are mostly LHD.

If I had a crack at it, I probably drop 6x6 or 6M x7 on Forsling if need be, I know it's a LD but he's playing top pairing in Florida or at worst, he's an elite #3 for us.

The RD I feel is going to be Tanev, Treliving just seems to want to him and there is an absence of top end RD in UFA.

In 2025 it is not much better, RD are Ekblad, Burns, Petry, Poink, Theodore (LD that plays RD), Larsson, Rutta and basically yea they're all getting older and don't really help.

We're likely going to need to overpay and try via trade, I am definitely going to advocate for us selling pieces if we start to fall out of the race so we can have either picks or interesting prospects to jump on any top end RD that becomes available. The last RD we could have acquired that's a legit top guy was Pietrangelo and we missed the chance, no one has really become available since.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I could still see the Leafs acquiring one or maybe even both of Clutterbuck and Czikas from the Islanders (more likely the former than the latter, even though a centre addition would be more useful). Clutterbuck would probably be no more than a third round pick in terms of cost.
Just what we need, more vets who are in the waining years of there careers

Just in time to fall off and waste the assets we gave up for them

We're to old, we need to get younger

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
We are only 3 points our if 12 spot for the nhl draft.
I hope treliving stands his ground he said at the draft you can't always trade your picks, you need to build up your prospect pool .
In a cap world you need good young talent on ELC contracts.
Is this a quote from the "GM Handbook" that you kind sign out at the Toronto Public Library (Dufferin/St. Clair Branch)?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Just what we need, more vets who are in the waining years of there careers

Just in time to fall off and waste the assets we gave up for them

We're to old, we need to get younger

Giordano needs company...:sarcasm:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Agreed. If we're going to slide out of the playoffs like this there's no need for unproductive Bert, Domi and run down dmen like Brodie and Gio springing leaks everywhere. Just get assets, clear some cap and regroup in the summer.

I don't need another 40 games of this team.

The problem with just selling is the team only owns it's 1st and 4th round picks for the top half of the draft.

That said, I'm not opposed to shake up trades, but the team likely will need players not futures coming back

horner

May 22, 2007
The problem with just selling is the team only owns it's 1st and 4th round picks for the top half of the draft.

That said, I'm not opposed to shake up trades, but the team likely will need players not futures coming back
Bertuzzi is probably a 2nd + prospect
Domi probably a 2nd
Both have playoff pedigree even if it was last yr
Use those picks for a dman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I'm starting to not care what they need in 2024. Too many holes to patch and not enough assets to do the job. So I would be ok if they took a step back, moved everything out like motivated sellers and went into this offseason with more picks, prospects to do the heavy building along with the freed up cap space. Be in better position in 2025 with a half rebuilt blueline, let Tavares go for 2025-26 and hit the ground running.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Get picks but also try to identify young guys who aren't getting a decent opportunity and give them one or guys doing well in depth roles who may just need more opportunity

Use or scouting and analytics departments

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Domi probably a 2nd
Yeah bertuzzi more so then domi at the moment hindsight’s 20/20 but we should have graduated the marlie graduates and spent the money on defense

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Domi probably a 2nd

Bertuzzi = 2nd / 2nd+prospect
Brodie = 2nd+3rd (retained likely)
Domi = 3rd
Giordano = 7th (if he wants)
Samsonov/Jones = 5th-7th (we only need to keep 1 to finish the year)
Timmins = 4th-7th rounder

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Warren Foegele
To Edmonton: TJ Brodie (50% retained)

To Toronto: Sean Walker (50% retained)
To Philadelphia: Nick Robertson

Jarnkrok - Matthews - Nylander
Bertuzzi - Domi - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Foegele
McMann - Kampf - Holmberg

Rielly - Liljegren
McCabe - Walker
Giordano - Benoit

Re-sign Foegele and Walker, both GTA guys. Then the rest of the heavy makeover in the off-season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Bertuzzi = 2nd / 2nd+prospect
Brodie = 2nd+3rd (retained likely)
Domi = 3rd
Giordano = 7th (if he wants)
Samsonov/Jones = 5th-7th (we only need to keep 1 to finish the year)
Timmins = 4th-7th rounder
Maybe somebody might want a Kampf or Reeves, I'd get rid of those contracts if I could
No chance we sell.
Let us dream

United35

Jan 16, 2021
Really hoping they sell off at the deadline. Restock the cupboards and retool the roster this offseason.

Reactions: horner

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yep they could restock some draft capital. They have 9 picks in next year's draft, though no second. A bunch of late rounders.

But in 2025 they don't have their 1st (lottery protected though), 2nd, and 4th. Be nice to gain some draft capital to account for that gap.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yep they could restock some draft capital. They have 9 picks in next year's draft, though no second. A bunch of late rounders.

But in 2025 they don't have their 1st (lottery protected though), 2nd, and 4th. Be nice to gain some draft capital to account for that gap.

No 2nd for 3 years

Even if we recoup a bunch, we can still parlay it in the off season if a player we like shakes loose.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
They aren't selling ffs:laugh: Shanaplan proceeding as per the last strategy session with Kyle. Things might be radically different by June but there has been no sign Shanahan isn't sticking to his dream.

I figure they will spend a bit more of the future but not anything huge because they are already so close.:sarcasm:

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Bertuzzi 2nd+4th
Domi 2nd+5th
Kampf 3rd
Brodie 2nd +4th

That makes the beginning of a restock/retool scenario, it's wishful thinking but a man can dream

Reactions: horner

Aloysius

Oct 9, 2021
Thinking like a rational owner who sees that the Shanaplan appears to have failed: (1) Authorize signing of 88 because you can't let him reach UFA. (2) No significant moves by current management afterward. (3) If the season is unexpectedly successful, then continue as before. (4) If the season is expectedly unsuccessful, then wholesale management change in the off-season for a new direction. I credit MLSE with rational decision-making, and don't see the current management being authorized to make any significant moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad