Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
An Awful look for Tre, an even worse for Shanny who opted to change captains at the last minute in the offseason.

The safe bet is a middle ground scenario where Tre buys a lower end/ cost #4 to give the D a boost and then stands pat with the rest of the assets

I'm not really a big Tre fanboy (who is?) and definitely not a Dubas guy, but if the Leafs fall out of the playoffs, I can't really see myself blaming the new GM. Or even Shanahan for the disruption in management. Or even Dubas especially. Just seems like the Leafs have been building these somewhat house of cards teams with weaknesses on D and G, always trying to get by with budget parts. And this year we just couldn't outrun the extreme margins, the balance was just off...

...and the Samsonov Factor. There are no words for how someone can break down like that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Schneider would be my favorite of the 4, I honestly think Peeke has more to give and could make an excellent partner for Reilly. I agree with you on Fabbro but is being Vanilla a bad thing? Don't know much about Korczak, have a quick synopsis of him?

Physical, underrated outlet pass, sticks up for teammates,

I think he's actually got a lot of layers to his game, he just needs more time as a pro.

I'm not really a big Tre fanboy (who is?) and definitely not a Dubas guy, but if the Leafs fall out of the playoffs, I can't really see myself blaming the new GM. Or even Shanahan for the disruption in management. Or even Dubas especially. Just seems like the Leafs have been building these somewhat house of cards teams with weaknesses on D and G, always trying to get by with budget parts. And this year we just couldn't outrun the extreme margins, the balance was just off...

...and the Samsonov Factor. There are no words for how someone can break down like that.

Even at his worst last year, it wasn't what we saw this year, that cost us a lot of points.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Physical, underrated outlet pass, sticks up for teammates,

I think he's actually got a lot of layers to his game, he just needs more time as a pro.

Even at his worst last year, it wasn't what we saw this year, that cost us a lot of points.
Went ahead and read a few scouting reports, you're pretty much bang on. He's very intriguing, he has a nice tool box.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Draisaitl is going to test the UFA market summer 2025. If he and Marner are somewhat around the same asking price, it's not even close which player you sign. Thing is, Leon gets rather pissy with the Edmonton media, not sure he would have the patience for it here.

My money is on another team making him the highest paid player for one year until McDavid is up.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Defense is certainly needed but a depth forward wouldn't hurt in the slightest. We really do need a shut down line.

All and all this has been a weird season for us. Kampf isn't shutting down players. Brodie has been off. Giordano has been terrible and Samsonov is having an identity crisis.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Bras has continually talked about being reluctant to trade away picks and prospects (what few we have) because we threw so many away over the last 5 years. I can't see us doing much to be honest. Except if the Holy Grail of Peeke and Comtois become available.

Seems that Brad is under no illusion where this team stands.
With all due respect Toronto has bolstered for the playoffs every single year (minus the play-in series) since Matthews was a Leaf. I mean is that Toronto has made the playoffs, attempted every year to make the playoffs, and they have bolstered at the deadline to be competitive in the playoffs. Why would they "reign it in" now? All the offseason acquisitions say something completely different (whether they panned out or not).

I am not going to come down on BT. I like him, and I cannot knock him this early into his tenure. If he doesn't want to trade 1sts and our top prospects then great.

I think that BT made all these offseason acquisitions to be more competitive in the playoffs. If his plan has failed well so be it. You can't tell me that he knew they would all play mediocre this season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Went ahead and read a few scouting reports, you're pretty much bang on. He's very intriguing, he has a nice tool box.

I think he could be a strong 2nd pairing guy once he gets comfortable in the league.

Draisaitl is going to test the UFA market summer 2025. If he and Marner are somewhat around the same asking price, it's not even close which player you sign. Thing is, Leon gets rather pissy with the Edmonton media, not sure he would have the patience for it here.

My money is on another team making him the highest paid player for one year until McDavid is up.

We could probably sweeten the pot more than most with signing bonuses, although with Marner's passing ability, you almost wish you could keep Marner too.

Matthews-88
Leon-Marner

Good duos but it's just too much $$ devoted to the forward group again.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

For me it's also not even about judgement (though Tre still an open book), I think it's mostly just optics with the MLSE board it'll be a fairly awkward conversation for Shanny if the team doesn't at least match last year's outcome. Which is why I think certain courses of action those Tdl period become more favorable to this front office than others

The team also definitely needs to reshape it's D and goaltending, which will take another offseason.

which is why I think we'll get a middle ground of adding an asset this winter but not spending big, potentially allowing for wider moves to happen in the lead up to free agency

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Schneider (NYR) and Korczak (VGK) would be my top choices.

Peeke the $ / term scare me about being wrong

Fabbro is tough to gauge, I have seen some defensive analytics that are pretty strong but in my (limited) viewings, he's pretty vanilla, like Liljegren he's a nice defenseman but not sure on the roster contribution.
Fabbro was at his best with Josi

He'd be a good option doing the dirty work with Rielly like Brodie used to

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Fabbro was at his best with Josi

He'd be a good option doing the dirty work with Rielly like Brodie used to

It's been a season of extremes with him, he's been with Josi and he's been healthy scratched, I have no idea how the hell to gauge his value.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If I was Tre I'd be looking for a middle pairing defenseman and a top 9 2way forward with term

That's useful now and for the future but I wouldn't buy for just now

It's been a season of extremes with him, he's been with Josi and he's been healthy scratched, I have no idea how the hell to gauge his value.

Hes a fit and he wouldn't cost a fortune I'd image, he helps get the age down on our backend to which is a concern to me

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If I was Tre I'd be looking for a middle pairing defenseman and a top 9 2way forward with term

That's useful now and for the future but I wouldn't buy for just now

Hes a fit and he wouldn't cost a fortune I'd image, he helps get the age down on our backend to which is a concern to me

If the price is right, count me in. Sometimes it takes a few years and ending up with the right team/situation.

Took Forsling a few teams and some maturing to find his home in Florida.

Reactions: Kiwi

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For me it's also not even about judgement (though Tre still an open book), I think it's mostly just optics with the MLSE board it'll be a fairly awkward conversation for Shanny if the team doesn't at least match last year's outcome. Which is why I think certain courses of action those Tdl period become more favorable to this front office than others

The team also definitely needs to reshape it's D and goaltending, which will take another offseason.

which is why I think we'll get a middle ground of adding an asset this winter but not spending big, potentially allowing for wider moves to happen in the lead up to free agency

Just going to use a placeholder name for ease of reference, but if our offseason is basically Brodie out, Hanifin in, you can see the D shaping up differently already with just one targeted add towards the top of the group. A defense is only 6-7 skaters so one move can be quite impactful.

Reactions: Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just going to use a placeholder name for ease of reference, but if our offseason is basically Brodie out, Hanifin in, you can see the D shaping up differently already with just one targeted add towards the top of the group. A defense is only 6-7 skaters so one move can be quite impactful.

Valid points...I think we really do need at least 2 impact D this off-season to right the ship, it can also slot guys properly too.

Rielly-Tanev
Forsling-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren

Something of that nature could go a long way. I'd like to aim higher than Tanev but Nylander got more than I was expecting and it just feels like Treliving has eyes for Tanev.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Valid points...I think we really do need at least 2 impact D this off-season to right the ship, it can also slot guys properly too.

Rielly-Tanev
Forsling-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren

Something of that nature could go a long way. I'd like to aim higher than Tanev but Nylander got more than I was expecting and it just feels like Treliving has eyes for Tanev.

People are probably going to give me flack for this, but I think an example of a targeted shop might be something like a Seth Jones, or a Zach Werenski.

People tend to hate Jones, are down on him, etc. But he would be the kind of body type, age, big investment contract, pedigree, RHD, huge minute muncher... but somewhat of a distressed asset and unappealing contract on a bad team with no short term plans. If that kind of gamble worked out you'd have a Rielly-Jones top pair and all your other pieces start fitting in nicely behind. But it comes with extreme risk.

Werenski is younger, assume not as available, but LHD. I'd much prefer him to Jones, but the kind of guy who could be a home run.

I think you need something like that to invest in, justify a good haul going out. But it comes with risk.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

Rielly-Tanev
Forsling-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren

We have a lot of trouble clearing our zone and defending the forecheck, we should try to keep lefties away from the right. Brodie was always an exception but if we're constructing future d corps hopefully McCabe ends up on the left.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
People are probably going to give me flack for this, but I think an example of a targeted shop might be something like a Seth Jones, or a Zach Werenski.

People tend to hate Jones, are down on him, etc. But he would be the kind of body type, age, big investment contract, pedigree, RHD, huge minute muncher... but somewhat of a distressed asset and unappealing contract on a bad team with no short term plans. If that kind of gamble worked out you'd have a Rielly-Jones top pair and all your other pieces start fitting in nicely behind. But it comes with extreme risk.

Werenski is younger, assume not as available, but LHD. I'd much prefer him to Jones, but the kind of guy who could be a home run.

I think you need something like that to invest in, justify a good haul going out. But it comes with risk.

I liked Doughty a few years back and the mathletes told me I was wrong but the last few years he's been real nice on LAK.

In terms of Jones, I was higher on him in years past, I have no idea what the hell I am looking at in Chicago though, he might have more to give. 9.5M is a spicy meat ball in terms of contract though, I don't think the cost would be as expensive as it was before.

Werenski is nice but he's a LD as you said and actually has the injury bug.

We have a lot of trouble clearing our zone and defending the forecheck, we should try to keep lefties away from the right. Brodie was always an exception but if we're constructing future d corps hopefully McCabe ends up on the left.

I'm really anal about LD/RD handedness so in a perfect world, you'd all your LD as left shots and RD as right shots but it's hard to find and round out an entire D core like that.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I liked Doughty a few years back and the mathletes told me I was wrong but the last few years he's been real nice on LAK.

In terms of Jones, I was higher on him in years past, I have no idea what the hell I am looking at in Chicago though, he might have more to give. 9.5M is a spicy might ball in terms of contract though, I don't think the cost would be as expensive as it was before.

I’m definitely not selling the idea of Jones but my feeling is it’s got to be a quality player that’s also somewhat distressed as an asset to even be available. Closest example is Hampus Lindholm. He wasn’t looking too great in Anaheim before Boston snatched him up.

But just an example. Pro scouting would have to do their work and it’s going to be risky. A bluechip, no flaws, prime aged stud defenseman is going to be harder to come by or prohibitively expensive.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

I'd expect Rielly and Jones to be the best D pairing across the league in the playoffs.

Don't think you could get retention on that deal though, so thats the stated extreme risk. Almost like your taking poor Rielly's discount and giving it to over pay his new partner Jones. Not for us to worry about I suppose.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

So did he like the Muskokas?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I’m definitely not selling the idea of Jones but my feeling is it’s got to be a quality player that’s also somewhat distressed as an asset to even be available. Closest example is Hampus Lindholm. He wasn’t looking too great in Anaheim before Boston snatched him up.

But just an example. Pro scouting would have to do their work and it’s going to be risky. A bluechip, no flaws, prime aged stud defenseman is going to be harder to come by or prohibitively expensive.

You'd be right on that, I think our last chance at one was Pietrangelo as a UFA, top end RD in the league just never become available.

We'd need to lose Kampf and Reaves off the roster to absorb the salary.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
If the price is right, count me in. Sometimes it takes a few years and ending up with the right team/situation.

Took Forsling a few teams and some maturing to find his home in Florida.
The more thought I put into it, Peeke and Fabbro would cost less to acquire one would think and both have proven at points they can be top 3-4 Dmen.

Reilly Peeke
McCabe Fabbro
Benoit Liljegren

Based on this season it looks meh, but has potential to be solid.

Braden I think still holds good trade value same possibly for Kaeden

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The more thought I put into it, Peeke and Fabbro would cost less to acquire one would think and both have proven at points they can be top 3-4 Dmen.

Reilly Peeke
McCabe Fabbro
Benoit Liljegren

Based on this season it looks meh, but has potential to be solid.

Braden I think still holds good trade value same possibly for Kaeden

I'm wondering if someone like Bertuzzi might tempt Vegas, even if we had to retain, they're trying to win now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad