Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I’m definitely not selling the idea of Jones but my feeling is it’s got to be a quality player that’s also somewhat distressed as an asset to even be available. Closest example is Hampus Lindholm. He wasn’t looking too great in Anaheim before Boston snatched him up.

But just an example. Pro scouting would have to do their work and it’s going to be risky. A bluechip, no flaws, prime aged stud defenseman is going to be harder to come by or prohibitively expensive.

1705456993920.png

1705457072724.png

I've probably done worse.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Kampf is not as good defensively as people think.
Let's get a real shutdown line like
Jarnkrok Cizikas Clutterbuck (cheap line, highest paid is Cizikas at 2.5)

Reactions: fahad203

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
It’s Re-tool time. Sell of Bertuzzi, Domi, and Brodie. Have Robertson, Knies, Holmberg, Benoit, and Lagesson have their run on the team and see if there’s anything there, although with Knies and Benoit that already seems to be true. And any young players we get in exchange for our upcoming UFAs should of course be given a shot too.

Need all the cheap talent we can get next year so the aforementioned players above plus Minten, Niemela, and Hirvonen (with an outside shot for Cowan) would make things easier on the cap. Try to sign Pesce to replace Brodie, or Hanifin despite him reportedly preferring America the Leafs should make the effort.

It’s a wasted year this season but since Matthews, Nylander, and Rielly are signed for forever and JT is up after next season we can still salvage this rotten core we’ve tied ourselves too by properly implementing our prospects and young players properly and being smart with money in free agency, so the exact opposite of last summers free agency.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Suggestion of a buyout is utter nonsense. Yeah. Let’s remove a productive player from our team in favour of 10.4M in dead cap space and no replacement for the sake of change. And let’s do all that in the same year the two highest AAV contracts in franchise history come on the books…
Yes, let's... Ask MM as well while we're at it.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We need to be smart this off-season
We need to buy and sell imo

Only buy guys who are in the correct age range and have term left on there deals, sell the pending UFA'S and anybody with a **** contract if possible, older guys should be looked at to

Clear out the crap and build for next season with as many assets and cap space as it's possible to acquire

No selling young guys or trading high draft picks

I've got doubts it will happen or if Tre could actually pull it off without screwing up but that's what I want

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'm not really a big Tre fanboy (who is?) and definitely not a Dubas guy, but if the Leafs fall out of the playoffs, I can't really see myself blaming the new GM. Or even Shanahan for the disruption in management. Or even Dubas especially. Just seems like the Leafs have been building these somewhat house of cards teams with weaknesses on D and G, always trying to get by with budget parts. And this year we just couldn't outrun the extreme margins, the balance was just off...

...and the Samsonov Factor. There are no words for how someone can break down like that.
You cant blame the gm? He had cap space and did f*** all with it.

Cant blame shanahan? The guy responsible for sticking with this core thru hell or high water? LMAO

Shanahan is a f***ing a joke. Legitimately will be a great day when he is no longer in the org.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It’s Re-tool time. Sell of Bertuzzi, Domi, and Brodie. Have Robertson, Knies, Holmberg, Benoit, and Lagesson have their run on the team and see if there’s anything there, although with Knies and Benoit that already seems to be true. And any young players we get in exchange for our upcoming UFAs should of course be given a shot too.

Need all the cheap talent we can get next year so the aforementioned players above plus Minten, Niemela, and Hirvonen (with an outside shot for Cowan) would make things easier on the cap. Try to sign Pesce to replace Brodie, or Hanifin despite him reportedly preferring America the Leafs should make the effort.

It’s a wasted year this season but since Matthews, Nylander, and Rielly are signed for forever and JT is up after next season we can still salvage this rotten core we’ve tied ourselves too by properly implementing our prospects and young players properly and being smart with money in free agency, so the exact opposite of last summers free agency.
Good thing is we don't need a full rebuild. A retool by trading Mitch is the way we need to go. There is enough talent even with him gone. It would solve a lot of issues and the entitlement problem too. Shanny is just stubborn though
If we do fire Keefe, I'd just promote Dean or Boucher on an interim basis. No point going outside this season.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Agreed. If we're going to slide out of the playoffs like this there's no need for unproductive Bert, Domi and run down dmen like Brodie and Gio springing leaks everywhere. Just get assets, clear some cap and regroup in the summer.

I don't need another 40 games of this team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Agreed. If we're going to slide out of the playoffs like this there's no need for unproductive Bert, Domi and run down dmen like Brodie and Gio springing leaks everywhere. Just get assets, clear some cap and regroup in the summer.

I don't need another 40 games of this team.
Personally, I would even trade all pending UFAs even if the Leafs is in the last WC spot unless the players sign an extension. Won't trade for anyone unless with terms. I am torn on Bert bc he can play but Keefe is f**king him up. I also think Domi wants to be here and he is a good 3rd liner.
The team needs more speed and size but most importantly they need to start playing like a team.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Does anyone remember this daydream:

"...and we'll have Nylander play 3rd line Center"

?

_______

It might seem like the right thing to do now, but I highly doubt TOR are sellers at the deadline.

Shanny is at the top, and does he seem like the type (from what we know of him now) to say: "This year we are going to be all out prudent. We are going to trade all of our UFA signings at the deadline for picks, and prospects. Brad, no more wasteful spending. No more bolster for the playoffs business".

I want to believe it, but there is just no way.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Good thing is we don't need a full rebuild. A retool by trading Mitch is the way we need to go. There is enough talent even with him gone. It would solve a lot of issues and the entitlement problem too. Shanny is just stubborn though
If we do fire Keefe, I'd just promote Dean or Boucher on an interim basis. No point going outside this season.
Here is my instant retool. Funny enough, it's not much different today, than it was in the offseason.

Trades​

Edit

TOR

1. Crouse, Lawson
  2. Hayton, Barrett
  3. McBain, Jack
  4. 2024 1st round pick (ARI)

ARI

1. Kämpf, David
  2. Marner, Mitchell

Edit

TOR

1. Bjorkstrand, Oliver
  2. Larsson, Adam

SEA

1. Bertuzzi, Tyler
  2. Hayton, Barrett
  3. 2024 1st round pick (ARI)

Edit

TOR

1. Lindholm, Elias

CGY

1. Robertson, Nicholas
  2. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
Maybe Seattle needs more....

But, we end up with...

OSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
Tooltip
BONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,500,000$82,081,782$0$0$1,418,218
Delete PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade

Prorated Cap Hit

Roster​

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Crouse, Lawson
$4,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Matthews, Auston
$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
Bjorkstrand, Oliver
$5,400,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Waivers Exempt
Knies, Matthew
$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Lindholm, Elias
$4,850,000
C
UFA - 1
Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
Domi, Max
$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
Järnkrok, Calle
$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Gregor, Noah
$775,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
McBain, Jack
$1,599,999
C, LW
RFA - 2
Waivers Exempt
Holmberg, Pontus
$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
McMann, Bobby
$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
RW5
LW6
Roster created at CapFriendly.com | Follow on Twitter @CapFriendly
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
Larsson, Adam
$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Samsonov, Ilya
$3,550,000
G
UFA - 1
McCabe, Jake
$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Liljegren, Timothy
$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
Jones, Martin
$875,000
G
UFA - 1
Benoit, Simon
$775,000
LD
RFA - 1
Brodie, TJ
$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Woll, Joseph
$766,667
G
RFA - 2
Giordano, Mark
$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
Timmins, Conor
$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
G4
LD5RD5

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

?

_______

It might seem like the right thing to do now, but I highly doubt TOR are sellers at the deadline.

Shanny is at the top, and does he seem like the type (from what we know of him now) to say: "This year we are going to be all out prudent. We are going to trade all of our UFA signings at the deadline for picks, and prospects. Brad, no more wasteful spending. No more bolster for the playoffs business".

I think you can do both without needing to quit on the season/ carry the mindset of “no bolster for the playoffs”.

1. Trade pending UFAs like Bert, Domi & Brodie and replace with internal options/returned players from trades. I’m actually convinced, based on they play this season alone, this doesn’t dramatically change our playoff fortunes at all

2. Acquire players with term or who can be pre-negotiated with for extension to fill roster needs

With this said. I also doubt we are sellers

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Reality is anyway that most of our noteworthy pending UFAs are underperforming so probably not super attractive trade targets for other teams. We can likely move them, but return would be pretty limited I think

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Reality is anyway that most of our noteworthy pending UFAs are underperforming so probably not super attractive trade targets for other teams. We can likely move them, but return would be pretty limited I think

Teams might think they can get more out of them.

Bertuzzi has had terrible luck too.

Bertuzzi probably couldn't pull a 1st like he could in normal years but maybe it's a 2nd + minor asset or a good prospect type like Korczak.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Flames waived Duehr, would be interested but not sure if he'd get an opportunity here.

horner

May 22, 2007
Teams might think they can get more out of them.

Bertuzzi has had terrible luck too.

Bertuzzi probably couldn't pull a 1st like he could in normal years but maybe it's a 2nd + minor asset or a good prospect type like Korczak.
For sure last nights game a perfect example

horner

May 22, 2007

?

_______

We are only 3 points our if 12 spot for the nhl draft.
I hope treliving stands his ground he said at the draft you can't always trade your picks, you need to build up your prospect pool .
In a cap world you need good young talent on ELC contracts.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
It'll cost a premium, but the Leafs should go hard after Chychrun if he really is available.
Why would it cost a premium to bail the senators out of another one of their mistakes?

They gave up a fortune for him and realize hes not some saviour after less than a season and already want to move him?

Sounds like he's the saviour we need!

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Why would it cost a premium to bail the senators out of another one of their mistakes?

They gave up a fortune for him and realize hes not some saviour after less than a season and already want to move him?

Sounds like he's the saviour we need!
Who said he anything about him being the saviour?

Fact is, he's a young top 4 D and the Leafs really need someone to slot behind Rielly and to take some pressure off of him. He'll also add some much needed offensive ability to the backend as well. Easy to see why he'll command a premium if Ottawa indeed trades him.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Who said he anything about him being the saviour?

Fact is, he's a young top 4 D and the Leafs really need someone to slot behind Rielly and to take some pressure off of him. He'll also add some much needed offensive ability to the backend as well. Easy to see why he'll command a premium if Ottawa indeed trades him.
Great, let somebody else pay a premium for an oft injured, incredibly overrated, offense only defenceman who has never played as many games as he did in his rookie season (68).

Another LHD to add behind Rielly that is going to cost all our premium assets, sounds great! Then we can trade another 3rd or 4th rounder and find a "top pairing" dman to play WITH Rielly because that works so f***in well.

Reactions: Buds17

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Great, let somebody else pay a premium for an oft injured, incredibly overrated, offense only defenceman who has never played as many games as he did in his rookie season (68).

Another LHD to add behind Rielly that is going to cost all our premium assets, sounds great! Then we can trade another 3rd or 4th rounder and find a "top pairing" dman to play WITH Rielly because that works so f***in well.

Yeah pretty much.

Chychrun isn't overly durable and his best asset would be PP contribution which is already something we get from Rielly.

We really do need to address the right side of defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad