Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Bigger question is why would Marner waive to go to Edmonton?
I guess McDavid? Also, he's a Canadian guy and I don't think he would mind going to Edmonton as much as the warm-weather Americans.

The question is... would we need to add? Columbus reduces their long-term commitments, and moves two guys who want out. Samsonov is UFA at the end of the year.... ya.. they take on Reaves, but that's not a big deal compared to the rest of the dough.

Apparently it's been know that Merzlinkins has been available all year, and there has been no takers so far.... I'm not really sure what to think of him, he hasn't been great the past couple of years, but is that him, or the team? That's where I would hesitate, and leave it up to pro scouts to decide what he really is.

Big challenge is Drai is going to want more than we could really afford to pay, you'd think. He's going to want $12-14 mil....
Well, I figure Marner is going to want the same amount. Tit for tat I guess.

Reactions: Fogelhund

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I guess McDavid? Also, he's a Canadian guy and I don't think he would mind going to Edmonton as much as the warm-weather Americans.

Well, I figure Marner is going to want the same amount. Tit for tat I guess.
Think he just prefers to stay here.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The question is... would we need to add? Columbus reduces their long-term commitments, and moves two guys who want out. Samsonov is UFA at the end of the year.... ya.. they take on Reaves, but that's not a big deal compared to the rest of the dough.

Apparently it's been know that Merzlinkins has been available all year, and there has been no takers so far.... I'm not really sure what to think of him, he hasn't been great the past couple of years, but is that him, or the team? That's where I would hesitate, and leave it up to pro scouts to decide what he really is.

Big challenge is Drai is going to want more than we could really afford to pay, you'd think. He's going to want $12-14 mil....

I could get to 12-12.5M on Leon pretty easily, I am sure Marner is going to want in that ball park so if Marner/JT contracts go and Leon is in? Do it.

The one thing with Leon is in the playoffs he is MONEY.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd be both elated and potentially worried for us if CBJ were to accept that proposal.

Now we wait for the other shoe to drop on this Merzlikins situation. GM Jarmo Kekalainen, who has been on the hot seat according to fans and some media for a while now, has to figure this out. Trading him won't be easy, especially with that contract. The Jackets will most likely need to retain a couple million to make it work, and it's possible it won't get done until the off-season. The Jackets won't get a lot back either, if anything. Ideally, it needs to happen soon because something like this doesn't need to fester in the locker room.

Reactions: Buds17

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Picks/prospects/dumps (Jarnkrok/Reaves/Robertson) for Elias Lindholm. Pending a long term deal 8-9m aav deal.

Knies Matthews Marner
Holmberg Lindholm Nylander
Bertuzzi Domi Tavares
McMann Kampf Gregor

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Today I found out that Draisaitl lives in the Toronto area in the offseason (his gf is from here).

Here's a far-fetched idea:

Say the Leafs stink for the rest of the year and Edmonton gets eliminated from the playoffs quickly.

If both teams need a change, what about signing Drai as a free agent this summer and trading Marner? (maybe trade him to Edmonton)

This scenario would also be influenced by whether Drai wants to leave Edmonton. (which he might if they bomb again)

🤷‍♂️

I love the game of musical chairs but Drai isn’t a free agent this year.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Oiler fans are going to love this board. Now you want to get McDavid and Draisaitl.

Here is the new plan... 2025 FA -> Draisaitl, and 2026 FA -> McDavid. :laugh:

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
we can still deal Nylander this season... now that he's signed, we can get max value in a deal
IF, there is a top pairing D (with potential to be a #1D) that is at worse, the same age as Nylander, or a package for one with that high end potential.
i.e. Power, Miller etc

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
we can still deal Nylander this season... now that he's signed, we can get max value in a deal
IF, there is a top pairing D (with potential to be a #1D) that is at worse, the same age as Nylander, or a package for one with that high end potential.
i.e. Power, Miller etc
How? They would have already traded him he’s the red headed step child you don’t think he’d be the odd man out he’s the only one who doesn’t have a letter

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Aren't jobs on the line though?

Is this the beginning of a re-tool then? How does that make sense?

TOR looks no different now then when they supposedly went all-in when Dubas was around.

Why would BT acquire Bertuzzi, Domi, etc. only to be hovering around .500?

I don't mind them holding on to 1st round picks/prospects, but TOR still doesn't need to move major assets to improve in places.
Bras has continually talked about being reluctant to trade away picks and prospects (what few we have) because we threw so many away over the last 5 years. I can't see us doing much to be honest. Except if the Holy Grail of Peeke and Comtois become available.

Seems that Brad is under no illusion where this team stands.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Aren't jobs on the line though?

Is this the beginning of a re-tool then? How does that make sense?

TOR looks no different now then when they supposedly went all-in when Dubas was around.

Why would BT acquire Bertuzzi, Domi, etc. only to be hovering around .500?

I don't mind them holding on to 1st round picks/prospects, but TOR still doesn't need to move major assets to improve in places.

I suspect he wants to evaluate if they're worth longer term extensions, so wouldn't expect any tdl movement involving them

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I suspect he wants to evaluate if they're worth longer term extensions, so wouldn't expect any tdl movement involving them

I think as much as we're pissed about the last 3 games and the blown leads, a better time to review might be after that back to back with Jets.

If we're worse than we are now, you might need to just tell Max and Tyler that we can talk in the summer but for now, the team has kinda said in it's own way that it's not good enough.

I suspect Treliving in reality will probably swing until game 82 to make the playoffs though.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think as much as we're pissed about the last 3 games and the blown leads, a better time to review might be after that back to back with Jets.

If we're worse than we are now, you might need to just tell Max and Tyler that we can talk in the summer but for now, the team has kinda said in it's own way that it's not good enough.

I suspect Treliving in reality will probably swing until game 82 to make the playoffs though.

My jaw will drop if this front offices decides to sell

Reactions: Kiwi and Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I don’t think there’s any question of this. We’ve been in the playoffs basically 8 straight years, and comfortably so for the most recent ones. It’s a really bad look for him if they miss the playoffs in his first year after taking over.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don’t think there’s any question of this. We’ve been in the playoffs basically 8 straight years, and comfortably so for the most recent ones. It’s a really bad look for him if they miss the playoffs in his first year after taking over.

An Awful look for Tre, an even worse for Shanny who opted to change captains at the last minute in the offseason.

The safe bet is a middle ground scenario where Tre buys a lower end/ cost #4 to give the D a boost and then stands pat with the rest of the assets

Reactions: Sypher04 and Kiwi

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My jaw will drop if this front offices decides to sell

An Awful look for Tre, an even worse for Shanny who opted to change captains at the last minute in the offseason.

The safe bet is a middle ground scenario where Tre buys a lower end/ cost #4 to give the D a boost and then stands pat with the rest of the assets

I know a lot of guys on here push with the narrative that we should look for the next Tanev or whoever is the flavor of the day, I happen to agree. We were so close to landing Weegar only a few short years ago, what a get he would have been for us.

I think the rental route is peak stupidity but I would be open to acquiring pieces that can be with us for the long haul.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I know a lot of guys on here push with the narrative that we should look for the next Tanev or whoever is the flavor of the day, I happen to agree. We were so close to landing Weegar only a few short years ago, what a get he would have been for us.

I think the rental route is peak stupidity but I would be open to acquiring pieces that can be with us for the long haul.
To me this screams for Braden Schneider, Andrew Peeke and Dante Fabbro

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
To me this screams for Braden Schneider, Andrew Peeke and Dante Fabbro

Schneider (NYR) and Korczak (VGK) would be my top choices.

Peeke the $ / term scare me about being wrong

Fabbro is tough to gauge, I have seen some defensive analytics that are pretty strong but in my (limited) viewings, he's pretty vanilla, like Liljegren he's a nice defenseman but not sure on the roster contribution.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Schneider (NYR) and Korczak (VGK) would be my top choices.

Peeke the $ / term scare me about being wrong

Fabbro is tough to gauge, I have seen some defensive analytics that are pretty strong but in my (limited) viewings, he's pretty vanilla, like Liljegren he's a nice defenseman but not sure on the roster contribution.
Schneider would be my favorite of the 4, I honestly think Peeke has more to give and could make an excellent partner for Reilly. I agree with you on Fabbro but is being Vanilla a bad thing? Don't know much about Korczak, have a quick synopsis of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad