Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Perhaps on a rebuilding team, it's not going to happen here.

Which the team has a right to do. He'll then walk as a UFA.

He could do that, but he is also smart enough to know that being in a bad situation isn’t a good idea. No guarantee, but he is actually likely to accept a trade if he knows he isn’t wanted.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He could do that, but he is also smart enough to know that being in a bad situation isn’t a good idea. No guarantee, but he is actually likely to accept a trade if he knows he isn’t wanted.
That seems more like wishful thinking, IMO.
Why would he think he's in a bad situation? Can't see the situation being any different than it is.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
There is that for sure but really there is no reason for the player to want to leave.
Telling them change is needed and that it's preferred if they move on is a start.

They can still tell you no, but at least you tried. The idea of a rebuild/retool may entice them to leave as well.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
That seems more like wishful thinking, IMO.
Why would he think he's in a bad situation? Can't see the situation being any different than it is.

He thinks management has his back right now. He thinks he’s wanted, so the outside issues don’t matter. If he knows he isn’t wanted, that changes.

I wouldn’t be mean or rude about it, just be honest with the player.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
These issues have been known for years, well before Marner's NMC kicked in , well before Nylander was on the last year of his current contract (which increased his value). They've failed to make hard decisions

They essentially tried to have their cake and eat it too. Year over year of these bargain / stop gap players to fill critical roles

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
This team really fumbled last off-season in a terrible fashion
They did big time, but not in terms of dealing with a guy like Marner.

Timmins
Samsonov
Kampf
Reaves
Klingberg

Eating up $13M in cap space with little to negative value provided was a huge mistep for Tre's first offseason.

Bert and Domi being snakebitten this year and Keefe's refusal to play Robertson over negative value players like Gregor definitely doesn't help things either.

Outside of that we have the big 4, Knies,Jarnkrok/Rielly/Liljegren pulling at or above their weight.

Tough to win when 8 of 18 regular skaters make a positive impact in their role.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Re: Using ELC's and Re-tooling

I personally don't see either happening in the near future.

At one point AM, MM, and WN were ELCs and how well did that work out? Can you think of a better trio of ELCs than that?

Rielly/Tavares/Marner/Nylander/Matthews are key players and are not going away. Who is BT going to re-tool with? It can't be Domi and Bertuzzi.

I'm afraid Treliving is going to have to be bold. He's going to have to use Minton, Easton, Robertson, our 1st, and even Knies. He's going to have to give something up of value in order to make the playoffs and go deep. Using Brodie, Gio, and Samsonov are not going to get you much in a re-tooling situation.

This team needs a bit of a shake-up really.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Re: Using ELC's and Re-tooling

I personally don't see either happening in the near future.

At one point AM, MM, and WN were ELCs and how well did that work out? Can you think of a better trio of ELCs than that?

Rielly/Tavares/Marner/Nylander/Matthews are key players and are not going away. Who is BT going to re-tool with? It can't be Domi and Bertuzzi.

I'm afraid Treliving is going to have to be bold. He's going to have to use Minton, Easton, Robertson, our 1st, and even Knies. He's going to have to give something up of value in order to make the playoffs and go deep. Using Brodie, Gio, and Samsonov are not going to get you much in a re-tooling situation.

This team needs a bit of a shake-up really.

You can’t be bold and shake this team up without moving a key member of the core.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Can we deal Nylander?
I know he got a NMC on his next contract but can we trade him before his new contract kicks in?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I’d call Boston and offer Bertuzzi @50% for Debrusk. Boston seemed to love Bertuzzi and the relationship with Debrusk has historically been rocky there. Both players are UFA, Boston saves 1.25M to use at the deadline. The Leafs get the younger player and get an opportunity to test out the fit and maybe RE-sign Debrusk.

I think this is the route. Whether it's that player I'm not sure, but that type of deal would be a smart hockey deal.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They did big time, but not in terms of dealing with a guy like Marner.

Timmins
Samsonov
Kampf
Reaves
Klingberg

Eating up $13M in cap space with little to negative value provided was a huge mistep for Tre's first offseason.

Bert and Domi being snakebitten this year and Keefe's refusal to play Robertson over negative value players like Gregor definitely doesn't help things either.

Outside of that we have the big 4, Knies,Jarnkrok/Rielly/Liljegren pulling at or above their weight.

Tough to win when 8 of 18 regular skaters make a positive impact in their role.

Bert and Ernie from the Muppets would have been a better signing.

Calling them snakebitten sounds like an excuse for being worse than Jarnkrok.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Bert and Ernie from the Muppets would have been a better signing.

Calling them snakebitten sounds like an excuse for being worse than Jarnkrok.
Much like Reinhart is having a ridiculously lucky start, Bertuzzi is is having a ridiculously unlucky one. He's shooting about half of his career average shooting % missing several wide open nets while still being one of the better play drivers of the forwards so far.

Domi's goalless streak to start the year was crazy too.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
No, he has a NMC on the current one too.
he doesnt ...he only has a 10 team no trade clause right now

Much like Reinhart is having a ridiculously lucky start, Bertuzzi is is having a ridiculously unlucky one. He's shooting about half of his career average shooting % missing several wide open nets while still being one of the better play drivers of the forwards so far.

Domi's goalless streak to start the year was crazy too.
Bert and Domi almost never shoot though, so, that doesnt help, when everyone knows you are looking to pass

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
If you’re committed to 8 years of a NMC, it’s nothing to add in a few months more.
Nylander had reduced value as a UFA, on an 8 year deal, he would have had exceptional trade value.
Tre admitted he tried to deal him for a #1D and couldnt find anything to his liking ...with the contract signed, that would have changed things.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Nylander had reduced value as a UFA, on an 8 year deal, he would have had exceptional trade value.
Tre admitted he tried to deal him for a #1D and couldnt find anything to his liking ...with the contract signed, that would have changed things.

Why would Nylander sign a contract with a NMC and also leave a window to be traded?

Players and agents are not stupid.

Reactions: Buds17

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Why would Nylander sign a contract with a NMC and also leave a window to be traded?

Players and agents are not stupid.
The thing is though which really bothers me is that usually those kind of additions are negotiated in so as to reduce AAV. Willie was given everything he wanted without having to reduce his AAV at all. I like Willie a lot but man that’s frustrating.

Reactions: Buds17

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The thing is though which really bothers me is that usually those kind of additions are negotiated in so as to reduce AAV. Willie was given everything he wanted without having to reduce his AAV at all. I like Willie a lot but man that’s frustrating.

NMCs, 8 years, signing bonuses..... all of those should reduce AAV..... but not in Toronto....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad