Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not sure he fits with Rielly. He’s a guy who should be used in hard matches all gane.

Why would they retain? It’s a 7 year contract and he’s currently well worth the money.

I’d look to get Oskar Sundqvist along with Parayko. Samsonov has to go the other way to make the money work. Sometimes substantial would have to go the other way - Timmins, Robertson, and something comparable to a 1st maybe.
STL almost definitely would not. That post of mine regarding the retention was about CBJ and Merzlikins.

Reactions: arso40

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
No one should touch it for free.
I don't think it's THAT bad. It should provide decent value for the next 3 or 4 years, or basically until the new Matthews deal expires. Even the last couple years of Parayko might look a little more manageable after a few years of cap increases.

Certainly not ideal, but I dunno, that term on the contract might be the only reason he could be available and it could be a decent chance to add a #2 D without giving up much of our already pathetic prospect capital.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and arso40

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
McBain hasn’t been playing to well as of late in Arizona. Maybe Robertson + 3rd for McBain would work. Save McBain from Arizona!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
McBain hasn’t been playing to well as of late in Arizona. Maybe Robertson + 3rd for McBain would work. Save McBain from Arizona!

McBain seems like the projectable 3C this team could really use. Surprised he signed with Arizona and not hometown Toronto.

Reactions: TMLAM34

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
McBain seems like the projectable 3C this team could really use. Surprised he signed with Arizona and not hometown Toronto.
Arizona guaranteed play time I bet. Which he has been, he's playing full time for past 2 years

Frankly speaking the allure of living in Toronto isn't what it used to be. Lots of hometown boys didn't want to play here including Blake and Nash

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Is McBain good enough to trade Robertson for? He is 2 years older than Nick and only had 10 points on the year
Robertson might end up being the better offensive player by quite a margin but McBain can potentially play an important position and style.

McBain is also signed next year for 1.6 million. It would give us two thirds of a third line between McBain and Jarnkrok for only 3.7 million combined.

Reactions: arso40

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
How scary is the Parayko contract? Too scary?
St Louis has not been a very good team for a couple of years or at least their D hasn't since Pietro was left. Add to that Binnington was a one year wonder not a good environment for a D to shine. CP looked like a star with Pietro and I think he would show more with the Leafs but he needs to be what Montour and Lindholm became after they were rescued from the toilet to make a deal work. .

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
St Louis has not been a very good team for a couple of years or at least their D hasn't since Pietro was left. Add to that Binnington was a one year wonder not a good environment for a D to shine. CP looked like a star with Pietro and I think he would show more with the Leafs but he needs to be what Montour and Lindholm became after they were rescued from the toilet to make a deal work. .
What’s his price though and are they willing to eat a percentage of his cap hit or take a bad contact the other way

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Arizona guaranteed play time I bet. Which he has been, he's playing full time for past 2 years

Frankly speaking the allure of living in Toronto isn't what it used to be. Lots of hometown boys didn't want to play here including Blake and Nash
They did. He didn’t want to play with Minnesota because he thought Hartman was A C who would steal his time at C. His agent outright refused to much like Philly had to trade Gauthier! So Minnesota traded him to Arizona for 2nd round pick. He could have been rising / playing an Important C role on Minnesota

Reactions: fahad203

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
RE: Parayko

I really wonder if it is team based struggles.

A lot of the mathletes on here were dumping on Drew Doughty but the guy looks damned good to me.
The only worrisome thing about Parayako would be the last 2 years of his deal where he very possibly will have digressed

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Unless they take Kampf and one of Timmins or Reeves back I'm not really interested

His numbers are declining and middling goalies are voodoo so the cheaper the better generally
Perhaps they would clear his contract and the money out. Also, some retention would be key in a trade for him, too.

Exactly better to build the best team you can and go with the cheap options
Perhaps this idea needs to be rethought due to how important the goalie position is and can be.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Perhaps they would clear his contract and the money out. Also, some retention would be key in a trade for him, too.

Perhaps this idea needs to be rethought due to how important the goalie position is and can be.

I'm willing to pay a goaltender, but the only guys worth really investing in like that are the very top of the market and we don't ave one of those currently

Paying middling guys with term and large AAV'S is a mugs game through

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'm willing to pay a goaltender, but the only guys worth really investing in like that are the very top of the market and we don't ave one of those currently

Paying middling guys with term and large AAV'S is a mugs game through
Middling is subjective. Elvis has put up very good numbers quite recently, but like with the Jackets, his numbers have come down with them

But, and I'm not sure of this, how many teams in the last 5 years have made the final four of the playoffs with a goalie under a $2-3m cap hit?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
True. A 3RD so Benoit moves down and Lily moves up. Kinda expensive though.
Not sure what it would cost to get him. I would think a 2nd rounder at least but we don't have one. He'd be a good addition though. He's not big but he plays physical and he can move the puck out of his zone. He's a right D as well so that's added value. Can give you a solid 16 minutes a game. I'd run him with Benoit.

Reactions: Jacquestrapless
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad