Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Tre likes his defenceman rather large, Clifton is not that
He's not large but he plays very physical, he fights, and more importantly he can skate and pass the puck out of his zone. He's a Matt Dumba type, who Tre tried to sign this past offseason.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Are people waking up to the idea of flipping Bertuzzi for a comparable D yet?

Totally different player that what I watched less than 1 year ago. He cannot find a fit in this system. The team that gives him term is getting Clarkson 2.0.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don’t want us to trade for rentals.
Not good enough.

If we know we can re sign Tanev ok.

I don’t think we have rentals worth anything so we are stuck

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Are people waking up to the idea of flipping Bertuzzi for a comparable D yet?

Totally different player that what I watched less than 1 year ago. He cannot find a fit in this system. The team that gives him term is getting Clarkson 2.0.
I think the playoffs provide the main reason as to why Bertuzzi was signed to a one-year deal here. Beyond that, which forward replaces Bertuzzi in Toronto's lineup? Which team is directly or otherwise trading away a comparable d-man in exchange? On which pairing can we expect that d-man to play? It might be a tough trade to line up. I do agree that I wouldn't be looking to re-sign him/re-sign him to term as things currently stand.

Reactions: arso40

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON

Erik Johnson, perhaps

This doesn't mean a trade. He probably just scouting the canucks for next week's game.

We are just delaying what this teams needs, a core shakeup. Hopefully the Nylander extension means they are thinking of moving on from Mitch but doubt it

Marner has a full NMC till UFA. Doubt he waives it. We're stuck with him till he leaves as an UFA.

Reactions: stickty111

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I think the playoffs provide the main reason as to why Bertuzzi was signed to a one-year deal here. Beyond that, which forward replaces Bertuzzi in Toronto's lineup? Which team is directly or otherwise trading away a comparable d-man in exchange? On which pairing can we expect that d-man to play? It might be a tough trade to line up. I do agree that I wouldn't be looking to re-sign him/re-sign him to term as things currently stand.
This isn't the Bertuzzi of years' past. He was .76PPG with Boston and instantly clicked in that system post-trade. Whether it's his back injuries that have caught up to him, or just a poor fit, I have very little confidence that his game is going to magically flip a switch come playoffs. Plays are outright dying on his stick and he can't keep up.

I would not be overly concerned with replacing a ~35pt pace impact for 5.5m. Robertson is not a solution there, but for comparisons sake, he's matching Bert's pace for sub 1m without playing with the elite core 4. You could partially address the D (i.e. a #4D) in a lateral move involving Bertuzzi and then later acquire a warm body to replicate what Bertuzzi has brought.

It comes down to what is more important - hanging on to this mythical idea of what Bertuzzi might be in the playoffs (which he's shown none of thus far), or addressing the blueline and making better use of that 5.5m + Klingberg's LTIR money. The alternative is spending a 1st ++ which I don't think we should entertain.

Reactions: Buds17

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
This doesn't mean a trade. He probably just scouting the canucks for next week's game.

Marner has a full NMC till UFA. Doubt he waives it. We're stuck with him till he leaves as an UFA.
I feel like he notices the gains Willy made and it’s effect his game he’s trying to do too much he’s a smart player when he doesn’t over think and simplies his game when he needs to somethings way off

This isn't the Bertuzzi of years' past. He was .76PPG with Boston and instantly clicked in that system post-trade. Whether it's his back injuries that have caught up to him, or just a poor fit, I have very little confidence that his game is going to magically flip a switch come playoffs. Plays are outright dying on his stick and he can't keep up.

I would not be overly concerned with replacing a ~35pt pace impact for 5.5m. Robertson is not a solution there, but for comparisons sake, he's matching Bert's pace for sub 1m without playing with the elite core 4. You could partially address the D (i.e. a #4D) in a lateral move involving Bertuzzi and then later acquire a warm body to replicate what Bertuzzi has brought.

It comes down to what is more important - hanging on to this mythical idea of what Bertuzzi might be in the playoffs (which he's shown none of thus far), or addressing the blueline and making better use of that 5.5m + Klingberg's LTIR money. The alternative is spending a 1st ++ which I don't think we should entertain.
Try him with Matthew if that doesn’t work try him with domi then you trade him give holmberg and Robertson the same opportunities we kno holmberg looks good as high as the third line let’s see if he looks good any higher

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Middling is subjective. Elvis has put up very good numbers quite recently, but like with the Jackets, his numbers have come down with them

But, and I'm not sure of this, how many teams in the last 5 years have made the final four of the playoffs with a goalie under a $2-3m cap hit?
Two recent ones were Hill and Binnington, fairly cheap

I'm not paying over 5M for a guy who's had a sv% just over and under .900 the last two seasons

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Middling is subjective. Elvis has put up very good numbers quite recently, but like with the Jackets, his numbers have come down with them

But, and I'm not sure of this, how many teams in the last 5 years have made the final four of the playoffs with a goalie under a $2-3m cap hit?

If we're going goalie hunting, maybe Markstrom is the right target after all? Just a heavy investment piece. He's up and down sometimes, but can be a Vezina caliber goalie when on.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If we're going goalie hunting, maybe Markstrom is the right target after all? Just a heavy investment piece. He's up and down sometimes, but can be a Vezina caliber goalie when on.
Possibly, the link with the manager is there.

I'd lean towards Elvis due to the smaller cap hit and the likelihood that CBJ will retain a portion due to him being out of form and more outspoken about moving on. He's 4 years younger FWIW.

His attitude from reading the comments about not wanting to be a backup is something I think this team could do with as well.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He's going to be decent money still
I'm to uncertain of him to tie myself into him for the next 3 years
Sure, but if he was posting around a .920 S% like he was a few years ago, he would be he would quite expensive to acquire.

He's back up to a .907 on a not-great team this season.

To be clear, I'd only do it as well if they take Sam and retain nearly 2m on him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sure, but if he was posting around a .920 S% like he was a few years ago, he would be he would quite expensive to acquire.

He's back up to a .907 on a not-great team this season.

To be clear, I'd only do it as well if they take Sam and retain nearly 2m on him.
He's not, that's why he's available

.907 is fine but I'd want 2M retained and them taking Kampf back before I'd even contemplate it

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Leafs should find a way to trade Brodie, Gio, and Bertuzzi for future considerations.

Also ask Marner and JT to waive their NMCs and make it public if they refuse
For sure we should have some more foresight.
I don’t think this team has got it. Bert, Domi and Brodie could all fetch stuff at the deadline and are not part of things going forward. Look to grab some players for next year or picks that can be used to grab assets in offseason trades.

I don’t think this is our year and we definitely should not be dumping assets for one or two pieces. We are not that close to competing for a cup.

Reactions: horner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad