Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Sure, use our limited assets to trade for more forwards, when our biggest need is really D. ON top of that, we don't even have a second, until what... 2027? ... and then you decide to trade for Kadri, a guy Shanahan would never bring back... all so Kadri could play 3C here again, after it worked so well the last time.

Don't disagree that the need is D. I think D moves can be done in the summer from UFA market.

If we can add Tavares 4 to 5 AAV and Kadri/(other center at 4 AAV for 3C) we will have the center position taken care of and then only thing we need to fill is wingers. Minten/Cowan/etc... can start as wingers in the league.

Rielly Brodie
McCabe Liljegren

as a top4 is not solid but it isn't too bad either as long as forwards can overpower other lines; and if we have centers we can make it happen. Kadri is a proven center; at 4 AAV it isn't bad. Even if you add D; going into playoffs with Domi as 3C isn't wise.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Brodie being replaced with a prime aged, swift skating, minute munching puck mover, decent sized would make such a difference at the top end of the blueline. Swap out one guy near the top and everything falls into place below pretty well. Between Benoit and Lagesson they solved the bottom pair muscle.

To build a legit blueline, we need a #2 and a #3.

Rielly - _______
McCabe - _______ or _______ - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe or Liljegren

Fill those two holes and we’re fine… but those are massive holes…

Reactions: LeafEgo

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

Rielly - _______

Reilly Tanev
Ferraro Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

That's a solid d core at a great price

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Reilly Tanev
Ferraro Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

It's pretty average to be honest.

Ferraro is a reclamation project.

We probably need to try to sign a guy like Forsling in the off-season around 5.5-6.5M x 5-7 years, he can be a #3

Reactions: leafsfan5

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Brodie being replaced with a prime aged, swift skating, minute munching puck mover, decent sized would make such a difference at the top end of the blueline. Swap out one guy near the top and everything falls into place below pretty well. Between Benoit and Lagesson they solved the bottom pair muscle.

I don't think Parayko is being traded. ;)

Wonder if Brodie would like to play with Gaudreau for the rest of the year? Yeah, probably not.
Don't disagree that the need is D. I think D moves can be done in the summer from UFA market.

If we can add Tavares 4 to 5 AAV and Kadri/(other center at 4 AAV for 3C) we will have the center position taken care of and then only thing we need to fill is wingers. Minten/Cowan/etc... can start as wingers in the league.

Rielly Brodie
McCabe Liljegren

as a top4 is not solid but it isn't too bad either as long as forwards can overpower other lines; and if we have centers we can make it happen. Kadri is a proven center; at 4 AAV it isn't bad. Even if you add D; going into playoffs with Domi as 3C isn't wise.

Keep in mind, Tavares is under contract until 2025-2026 season at $11mm.

As early as next season, 2024-2025 Minten may be in the line-up.

2025-2026
Matthews - 13.25
Tavares - ~ 6
Minten - .845 (year 2 of NHL career)
Kampf - 2.4

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Reilly Tanev
Ferraro Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

That's a very good defensive core for next year. For this year, we really can't afford to add both Ferraro AND Tanev in both assets and likely cap space. I also don't see Giordano sitting out.

I think he would be a good "buy low" option though. That whole team sucks and the team construction sucks. Ferraro plays a lot, by far the top defensive go to guy there as well. He blocks a lot of shots, probably because that team doesn't have the puck a lot. He's probably playing over his head, but he'd far better supported here.

I don't see Grier giving him away since I think he was his first signing as GM there.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarMarSab3

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

We probably need to try to sign a guy like Forsling in the off-season around 5.5-6.5M x 5-7 years, he can be a #3
Not sure Forsling is the guy, not the type we need.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That's a very good defensive core for next year. For this year, we really can't afford to add both Ferraro AND Tanev in both assets and likely cap space. I also don't see Giordano sitting out.

I think he would be a good "buy low" option though. That whole team sucks and the team construction sucks. Ferraro plays a lot, by far the top defensive go to guy there as well. He blocks a lot of shots, probably because that team doesn't have the puck a lot. He's probably playing over his head, but he'd far better supported here.

I don't see Grier giving him away since I think he was his first signing as GM there.

If the price is fair, I am open to getting him.

Maybe the stats paint the wrong picture and influenced by team similar to everyone saying we shouldn't be acquiring Schenn or signing Benoit.

I am convinced that advanced stats can't quite capture defenseman properly.

He definitely is, basically held down the Florida blue line with Ekblad and Montour down.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Rielly - _______

I wonder if we could propose something like Liljegren, 1st, prospect for Hanifin, with new contract, signed sealed and delivered. Essentially turning Liljegren into the fully developed version of whatever he’s supposed to be.

Trade Brodie to another contender for a small rental fee. Supplement this fee with additional stuff for a Connor Murphy level defender.

Basically turning Brodie and Liljegren into something like Hanifin and Murphy.

Just spitballing.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I think they'll start transitioning him to the wing, probably by next season.
Nylander will move to 2nd C and continue to feast on the opponents 2nd pair.
Even if they do you aren't replacing JT's production for less money than it will take to re-sign him. Re-signing JT is a no brainer move because he is the most likely impact player on the roster to take a pay cut to stay.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I can see why someone may feel that way, but his play has been so good the past two years that he may be good enough to improve the Leafs blueline regardless.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Forsling is 27
Sam Reinhart is 28
Brandon Montour is 29

Tavares will be 35 quite a huge difference
The point is that you don't let good players go just because you don't win. Only one team wins in June. Furthermore, JT will sign for less than all of those players and because of the way he takes care of his body and his craft, I would bet on him to age as well as anyone.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I doubt it, but even if they do you aren't replacing JT's production for less money than it will take to re-sign him. To me it's a no Brainerd move, JT is the most likely impact player on the roster to take a pay cut to stay.
I have no doubt he will take a significant paycut but they can't continue to run him as the number 2 C next year.

Reactions: MarMarSab3

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have no doubt he will take a significant paycut but they can't continue to run him as the number 2 C next year.

I wonder if Elias Pettersson doesn’t warm up to the Canucks you could engineer a Marner for Pettersson within the next 2 years.

• Love
Reactions: ULF_55

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wonder if Elias Pettersson doesn’t warm up to the Canucks you could engineer a Marner for Pettersson within the next 2 years.
If they let Marner go to UFA you never know where he'll go

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If they let Marner go to UFA you never know where he'll go

If not a trade, the biggest risk would be letting Marner walk and try to back channel/full courtship of Pettersson. He’s technically RFA this year so this can only happen if talks fall through with Vancouver and he signs a 1 year GTFO deal. Bit of a stretch. So many things would have to fall into place.

Matthews
Pettersson-Nylander
Tavares

Would be pretty fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad