Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scion

May 25, 2012
The best teams know when to walk away from players, walking away from Brodie this year, and Marner and Tavares the year after are the right plays. Just because a Brodie or Tavares would take less doesn't mean they need to come back.

Brodie and Klingberg money will get you 2 d next year, Tavares and Marner money will get you 3 good forwards or 2 D and 1F, imho this is the best approach
Good luck signing a better 2C than JT for the money he will take to stay...

Scion

May 25, 2012
I didn’t say he sucks. I wouldn’t have him up here at Robertson’s expense though. I’d like to give him a try instead of McMann though.
McMann has done exactly what the Leafs have asked of him and has injected size and speed onto their 4th line. Since his recall that line is getting pucks into the OZ, and creating energy and chances despite very difficult deployment.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wonder if we could link up with Chicago, they need some bodies and we need cap space

To Chicago;

Samsonov
Gambrell
Steeves

To Toronto;

Future considerations

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I wonder if we could link up with Chicago, they need some bodies and we need cap space

To Chicago;

Samsonov
Gambrell
Steeves

To Toronto;

Future considerations

I like this a lot. That said, the didn’t take samsonov for free on waivers, so not sure they could be enticed now, unless they lost goalie to injury

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I like this a lot. That said, the didn’t take samsonov for free on waivers, so not sure they could be enticed now, unless they lost goalie to injury
Wouldn't he be able to directly report to their minor league team?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Wouldn't he be able to directly report to their minor league team?

True. If they’re willing to pay 3.5M for an AHL goalie

No idea. Just pointing out why they may want him now and not for free earlier.

Goaltending isn't a big deal for Blackhawks right now but neither is money. Lots of guys injured, Hall is injured for the rest of the year but insurance is eating that.

They could hunt waivers for a while like they did with Sandford but they're actually tight at all levels in terms of able bodies so instead of using picks like they did with Pitlick, they could eat a salary dump and get some warm bodies for the organization.

Everyone wins.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The Leafs would have to pay someone to take Samsonov. No team is taking that salary without extracting value from the leafs.
Steeves would be the enticement for Chicago taking on the two pending UFAs in that proposed deal. YMMV on whether or not that'd be enough.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Just a gut feeling that Nic Robertson is going to end up on the Ducks or the Sharks. I see the Leafs giving him a fresh start somewhere. He's from California so I think there could be something there.

The Ducks don't really have a defensive upgrade for the Leafs that makes sense, but Henrique would be a good upgrade veteran upfront. They have a lot of cap space to take on Samsonov to make it work as well.

The Sharks are getting calls on Ferraro, who is pretty underrated. He's a LHD so not the perfect fit, but could be a very good upgrade somewhere in the defensive pairings. He's also signed for a few more years at a very good rate that fits the Leafs cap very well.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Just a gut feeling that Nic Robertson is going to end up on the Ducks or the Sharks. I see the Leafs giving him a fresh start somewhere. He's from California so I think there could be something there.

The Ducks don't really have a defensive upgrade for the Leafs that makes sense, but Henrique would be a good upgrade veteran upfront. They have a lot of cap space to take on Samsonov to make it work as well.

The Sharks are getting calls on Ferraro, who is pretty underrated. He's a LHD so not the perfect fit, but could be a very good upgrade somewhere in the defensive pairings. He's also signed for a few more years at a very good rate that fits the Leafs cap very well.
Ferraro and Liljegren would make a nice 2nd pair and Benoit and McCabe as your 3rd pair that's a nice looking bottom 4

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

We've seen McCabe go to the right side a bit, could be an option.

Brodie looks cooked though, RD is bad.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We've seen McCabe go to the right side a bit, could be an option.

Brodie looks cooked though, RD is bad.

Brodie being replaced with a prime aged, swift skating, minute munching puck mover, decent sized would make such a difference at the top end of the blueline. Swap out one guy near the top and everything falls into place below pretty well. Between Benoit and Lagesson they solved the bottom pair muscle.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Wishful thinking but how about we do this....

Trade for Kadri 50% retained for 1st+2nd+Robertson
Sign Kessel as a UFA (League minimum 1 yr deal)

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Kadri-Kessel
Domi-Kampf-Gregor

next off season - if we can get Tavares at 4 to 5 AAV then... we have our centers settled only need to get wingers sorted for

Knies-Matthews-Marner
XXX-Tavares-Nylander
XXX-Kadri-XXX
XXX-Kampf-XXX

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Haha
Reactions: TMLAM34

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Jarnkrok-Kadri-Kessel
Domi-Kampf-Gregor

next off season - if we can get Tavares at 4 to 5 AAV then... we have our centers settled only need to get wingers sorted for

Knies-Matthews-Marner
XXX-Tavares-Nylander
XXX-Kadri-XXX
XXX-Kampf-XXX

Sure, use our limited assets to trade for more forwards, when our biggest need is really D. ON top of that, we don't even have a second, until what... 2027? ... and then you decide to trade for Kadri, a guy Shanahan would never bring back... all so Kadri could play 3C here again, after it worked so well the last time.

horner

May 22, 2007

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Jarnkrok-Kadri-Kessel
Domi-Kampf-Gregor

Knies-Matthews-Marner
XXX-Tavares-Nylander
XXX-Kadri-XXX
XXX-Kampf-XXX

Can Kadri play D ?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think they'll start transitioning him to the wing, probably by next season.
Nylander will move to 2nd C and continue to feast on the opponents 2nd pair.

So after Nylander finally proves that he’s an elite winger, and they sign him to a massive contract specifically for doing that, then they’re going to change him to a position that he’s never been able to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad