Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I saw it somewhere else.

I think it's an interesting idea. It may not seem like they need an LD right now, but his age and potential still make it an intriguing move.
Complete waste of an asset.

We do not need LHD, let alone taking on a development project.

Rielly
McCabe
Brodie
Benoit
Giordano
Lagesson

You use assets to get a top 4RHD and drop Brodie to 3LHD, or ideally you trade Brodie.

Even with Gio retired and Brodie leaving as a UFA, your LHD depth is much stronger than our RHD.

It has to be addressed, ideally with a move for this season, and another RHD addition as UFA this summer.

Reactions: arso40

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Complete waste of an asset.

We do not need LHD, let alone taking on a development project.

Rielly
McCabe
Brodie
Benoit
Giordano
Lagesson

You use assets to get a top 4RHD and drop Brodie to 3LHD, or ideally you trade Brodie.

Even with Gio retired and Brodie leaving as a UFA, your LHD depth is much stronger than our RHD.

It has to be addressed, ideally with a move for this season, and another RHD addition as UFA this summer.
And how do you replace all those guys who are UFA'S? McCabe will be 31 soon and only has 1 year left.

Benoit for as well as he has done, doesn't have that upside.

It's a now-and-later move,

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I saw it somewhere else.

I think it's an interesting idea. It may not seem like they need an LD right now, but his age and potential still make it an intriguing move.
6'4' all day long. Worth the gamble IMO.

1704584208459.png

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

“He’s playing sometimes, I think it was the game before (last) he played 31 minutes. It’s astronomical minutes. But he’s also earning it. We’re not just shovelling him out the door. There’s some accountability there, but that’s also part of developing. He’s been a real bright spot.”

1. I’ve seen enough with Broberg to believe he can become a shut-down d-man in a Top 4 role in the NHL. He’s big, fast, agile, defensively responsible and can move the puck. What else does he need? A bit more experience and a lot more opportunity. He’ll get that soon, either in Edmonton or another NHL city. If there’s no room for him in Edmonton — and it’s hard to imagine a spot can’t be found given salary cap considerations — he’ll get the job done for another NHL team, which is why he’s reportedly a top trade target for other organizations.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
6'4 is nice, his skating ability is what really does it.

His skating and size aren't his problems

As I understand it he has serious problems With the game being to fast for him and his decision making

I'm happy taking a shot on him but he's got some problems to overcome

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Just because he's 6'4"? That's the scouting report?

Plus skater, good size, played big minutes at the AHL level

Doesn't put up a ton of points, struggles on the Oilers bottom pair at the NHL level, seems to struggle process the game quickly enough

I haven't watched him a ton but that's what the Oilers board seems to say pretty consistently

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Plus skater, good size, played big minutes at the AHL level

Doesn't put up a ton of points, struggles on the Oilers bottom pair at the NHL level, seems to struggle process the game quickly enough

I haven't watched him a ton but that's what the Oilers board seems to say pretty consistently

Low skill, issues managing the puck and making plays are big red flags for a NHL defenseman.

Not to say there isn't value there and worth the trade, but you're paying for his draft position, less so his actual value.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Low skill, issues managing the puck and making plays are big red flags for a NHL defenseman.

Not to say there isn't value there and worth the trade, but you're paying for his draft position, less so his actual value.

That's my read on him, worth a shot but he's got problems that need sorting

I like Robertson and wouldn't trade him for Broberg but if Keefe won't play him? Maybe it makes some sense

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's my read on him, worth a shot but he's got problems that need sorting

I like Robertson and wouldn't trade him for Broberg but if Keefe won't play him? Maybe it makes some sense

But he won't play Broberg either. Robertson is still a good depth player having a decent NHL impact. He's part of the rotation of players right now. Broberg would be what... 9th on the depth chart?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
But he won't play Broberg either. Robertson is still a good depth player having a decent NHL impact. He's part of the rotation of players right now. Broberg would be what... 9th on the depth chart?

True, I'd play Benoit or Lagesson before I'd play Broberg
I honestly believe there better players right now

Broberg still has some of That high draft pedigree shine giving him a value I don't think he deserves

I wouldn't trade Robertson for him but I'd be willing to give up a 4th or 5th. That's it though

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
How do we know? how many thought Benoit would play this much? It's not purely a right-now move; it could be, however.

Reactions: Buds17

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How do we know? how many thought Benoit would play this much? It's not purely a right-now move; it could be, however.

You could say that about any player. "What if... Johnny McJohnyson is the next Steve Sullivan? Who knoooows" For every Benoit there's a Woznewski.

But like I said, I'm sure there's value with Broberg. He might be a good player eventually. He's young. I dont know. I didn't say he sucked or anything, just that there are red flags. I'd aim much higher if the goal is to get better quality on defense for a good valued player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
You could say that about any player. "What if... Johnny McJohnyson is the next Steve Sullivan? Who knoooows" For every Benoit there's a Woznewski.

But like I said, I'm sure there's value with Broberg. He might be a good player eventually. He's young. I dont know. I didn't say he sucked or anything, just that there are red flags.

That's fair, and Edmonton may feel Robertson is a "what if" as well.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Benoit was signed as a UFA. In this case, I wouldn't be bothered by acquiring Broberg as much as I'd be disappointed with trading away Robertson.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'd rather keep our what if based on needs is all Im saying.
Our needs? That isn't offence. For myself, I'd rather try to build a good D-core that we don't have to keep chopping and changing.

Something this could be our Drouin/Sergachev trade. Drouin, at that point, was a lot more established as well.

Reactions: Scion

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Benoit was signed as a UFA. In this case, I wouldn't be bothered by acquiring Broberg as much as I'd be disappointed with trading away Robertson.
Ok, but Robertson isn't without shortcomings either. You're taking a chance the same way Edmonton is by trading away a potential top 4 defenceman.

Reactions: Buds17

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Ok, but Robertson isn't without shortcomings either. You're taking a chance the same way Edmonton is by trading away a potential top 4 defenceman.
I'm ok with broberg but not for Robertson, give the kidcsome time, Timmins and a late pick sure

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Looking at the basis for a Hanifin trade is the Lindholm trade in which the ducks got
2 Filler D
1st 2022
2nd 2023
2nd 2024

Leafs don't have a 2nd for the next three drafts so it'll have to be prospects

1st + robertson + minten + any salary considerations

Extend him to $7.5 x 8

Rielly and Hanafin anchor 2 pairings playing 24+ minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events