Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Do you keep domi to play on the wing though? I’m not soo sure robertson is what made that line look as good as it does when it does jarnkrok stabilizes the line and provides scoring and domi is the playmaker but a playmaker that doesn’t shoot needs a shooter I’m conflicted

That's a good point, I'm not sure McLeod is a shooter or predominantly a playmaker

There may be no point in keeping Domi if he hasn't got a finisher on his line or he's forced onto the wing again

It's bloody tight with an 11.5M Nylander, 3M is very useful when you're putting teams together

Reactions: arso40

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yes
But Murray and samsanov come off the books
What goalie we expecting to get for 2-3 mill we been trying?
I don't think the Leafs will spend much on goaltending next season. All things being equal, Woll will be number one at less than $1 million, and maybe they resign Jones to a two year deal as a reward for this season, or alternatively sign someone like him to be the backup next season.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don't think the Leafs will spend much on goaltending next season. All things being equal, Woll will be number one at less than $1 million, and maybe they resign Jones to a two year deal as a reward for this season, or alternatively sign someone like him to be the backup next season.
Agree. Not many upgrades are really available.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Maybe they extend Jones if he crushes it the rest of the season but if he regresses they will want someone more reliable, so younger and more expensive and they would do that this season. Woll has had two ankle injuries plus shoulder surgery so he has to show he is physically reliable enough to be a 50 game #1, otherwise they will be shopping for a 1a. Even if they are fully committed to Woll as the starter I doubt they want a #2 with any durability concerns so it won't be a $1M backup next year,

And if Jones does crush it he isn't coming back for pocket change unless they gamble and sign him right away. Right now there doesn't seem to be any urgency tho, especially if Hildeby shows something.

Reactions: FreeBird

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Goaltenders are voodoo, especially journeyman goaltenders. Joey McBackupson could be in the running of the Vezina next year for all I know. Re-sigining Jones to another 1 year deal is fine because he's a solid veteran but there's no way I go 2+ years. He's going to be 34 years old in 4 days.

There's quite a few pending UFAs that could fit the bill as a strong back-up/3rd stringer. There are usually a bunch of unqualified RFAs that are let go that have some interesting potential/ability as well. I wouldn't really stick with Jones unless it's cheap and 1 year. Woll is definitely the #1 but I do worry about his ability to stay healthy.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Goaltenders are voodoo, especially journeyman goaltenders. Joey McBackupson could be in the running of the Vezina next year for all I know. Re-sigining Jones to another 1 year deal is fine because he's a solid veteran but there's no way I go 2+ years. He's going to be 34 years old in 4 days.

There's quite a few pending UFAs that could fit the bill as a strong back-up/3rd stringer. There are usually a bunch of unqualified RFAs that are let go that have some interesting potential/ability as well. I wouldn't really stick with Jones unless it's cheap and 1 year.
A guy like Jones would get two years on the basis that they are both min salary years. It's just a way to mimic a larger one year deal.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yes
But Murray and samsanov come off the books
What goalie we expecting to get for 2-3 mill we been trying?

You could go super cheap and go Woll and Jones next season, that's going to be under 2M combined

For now I was thinking Vladar to backup Jones and keep 3 goalies on the roster when Woll is back

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This showed up on my Twitter timeline again for some reason. Oh Burkie, what would we do without you? Maybe get a future five-time Norris trophy finalist.

Am I misremembering or did he not want Hedman and only want to do this deal if Tavares fell to 2nd somehow?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

There's quite a few pending UFAs that could fit the bill as a strong back-up/3rd stringer. There are usually a bunch of unqualified RFAs that are let go that have some interesting potential/ability as well. I wouldn't really stick with Jones unless it's cheap and 1 year. Woll is definitely the #1 but I do worry about his ability to stay healthy.

Out of the Vasi, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Saros, Hellebuyck etc group of Vezina finalist regulars only Vasi has really gone far consistently and that was when he was a cheaper RFA or Tampa had LTIR games to spend the difference on his UFA deal over the cap.

Maybe the real play is to focus on finding the next Kreider so neither team has a goalie.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Anyone heard a supposed rumour of Robertson for Broberg?
The only "advantage" I currently see with Broberg lies in draft pedigree. I hope there isn't much to this rumour since I don't believe a team like Toronto should be hinging much of its bets on things of that sort at this stage.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No, we don't really need another LD
Maybe next season if we get rid of a couple of guys we could use him?

I think we all know how I'd feel about a Robertson trade but if Keefe isn't going to play him we may as well cut ties
The only "advantage" I currently see with Broberg lies in draft pedigree. I hope there isn't much to this rumour since I don't believe a team like Toronto should be hinging much of its bets on things of that sort at this stage.

The advantage with Broberg is that he's waiver exempt for the season so you can stash him in the AHL. I wouldn't trade Robertson for him though. He's been bad in the NHL and pretty average in the AHL.

I think Robertson can be traded for a much better upgrade in the lineup. Broberg would be an immediate downgrade in the NHL roster since he wouldn't be in the NHL and Robertson has shown good glimpses at the NHL level and has dominated the AHL level.

Reactions: Kiwi and Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The advantage with Broberg is that he's waiver exempt for the season so you can stash him in the AHL. I wouldn't trade Robertson for him though. He's been bad in the NHL and pretty average in the AHL.

I think Robertson can be traded for a much better upgrade in the lineup. Broberg would be an immediate downgrade in the NHL roster since he wouldn't be in the NHL and Robertson has shown good glimpses at the NHL level and has dominated the AHL level.
I agree with your post. I was only referring to the advantage associated with making this specific trade (hoping that Broberg might be better in the future because he was drafted higher). If I were interested in trading for him, it'd be in exchange for something closer to a draft pick or prospect.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Gonna keep an eye on Luke Kunin in these next two games.

Not high on the list in terms of priority, but I like him as a bottom 6 depth target around the deadline. Ideal playoff-type player that I think Treliving would like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad