Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I know Domi has been better since he moved to centre, but there still needs to be an upgrade there. If Domi and Tavares can't be relied upon for defence and Kampf can't score, it leaves Matthews as the only C with true two-way acumen. Going to need more of that in the playoffs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Unless another name pops up that I wasn't expecting, I think I would say I have my top target(s)

1. Larsson

He has term and is more durable than Tanev. Not sure if a base of 1st+Timmins gets it done...

2. Blais

4th line needs a real NHLer in the playoffs and that isn't Reaves or McMann. Blais can play a physical brand of hockey and underrated offensively, despite what the stats show.

I really think that's the obvious needs at this point, Woll took the net from Samsonov, top 9 has been good and with the addition of Larsson coupled with Liljegren getting healthy, we seem to be okay on that end too, although maybe the group lacks physicality back there.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Unless another name pops up that I wasn't expecting, I think I would say I have my top target(s)

1. Larsson

He has term and is more durable than Tanev. Not sure if a base of 1st+Timmins gets it done...

2. Blais

4th line needs a real NHLer in the playoffs and that isn't Reaves or McMann. Blais can play a physical brand of hockey and underrated offensively, despite what the stats show.

I really think that's the obvious needs at this point, Woll took the net from Samsonov, top 9 has been good and with the addition of Larsson coupled with Liljegren getting healthy, we seem to be okay on that end too, although maybe the group lacks physicality back there.
Larsson would be an ideal addition.

An AAV that fits and an extra year of term. Would be great beside Rielly. Would allow Brodie to move down the lineup. Perfect.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Larsson would be an ideal addition.

An AAV that fits and an extra year of term. Would be great beside Rielly. Would allow Brodie to move down the lineup. Perfect.
Or you could just trade Brodie make 3rhd peeke the saving should cover the 3c hole with domi going out maybe you end up with enough to get lindholm so you can slide Tavares down

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Peeke has been pretty bad this year.

Brodie is also earning 7.5M real cash this year with the way his deal was negotiated, unlikely he's moved.
Peeke hasn’t really played and when I’ve watched him it’s simple it’s effective he’s like a skilled physical version of holl he can make a tape to tape pass with some heat I like him pass the eye test against us

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
You wouldn't risk trading a guy with a career SV% of .905 for a guy with a career SV% of .917? Especially considering the likelihood of keeping the .905 goalie past this season is very low?

Do you honestly think, given the mental fragility or the current group, that they should add Kyrou to that mix?
IIRC, Driedger hasn't played in the NHL since the 2021-2022 season. He's also a pending UFA, barely cheaper than Samsonov right now, a few years older and has played in a far lesser amount of games. I do agree that the likelihood of Samsonov returning past this season is very low.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
IIRC, Driedger hasn't played in the NHL since the 2021-2022 season. He's also a pending UFA, barely cheaper than Samsonov right now, a few years older and has played in a far lesser amount of games. I do agree that the likelihood of Samsonov returning past this season is very low.
He has been in the AHL the last 2 seasons but he’s been a significantly better goalie at the NHL level than Samsonov. Samsonov realistically has negative value and on his current deal, as does Driedger. IMO this would be a best case scenario deal. It is more likely given Driedgers pedigree that he would accept a back up role and accept a back up role to Woll which Samsonov doesn’t seem comfortable doing (as his numbers have shown).

Reactions: Buds17

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I think when your a top team year over year you can't add every single year because you eventually run out of trade capital. so you need to choose your years wisely and this is a year where ideally we just need to many pieces to plug all the holes. 3C, top pairing Dmen, Goalie, 4th line winger. could even say another top 4 Dmen. these are all things other posters have stated we need, but my point is with 34 million in cap space this summer I think the team should be alot better next year and therefore I would pretty much stand pat. the team could still surprise without any additions and go deep you never know. but next year to me would seem like a year to potentially go all in again.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think when your a top team year over year you can't add every single year because you eventually run out of trade capital. so you need to choose your years wisely and this is a year where ideally we just need to many pieces to plug all the holes. 3C, top pairing Dmen, Goalie, 4th line winger. could even say another top 4 Dmen. these are all things other posters have stated we need, but my point is with 34 million in cap space this summer I think the team should be alot better next year and therefore I would pretty much stand pat. the team could still surprise without any additions and go deep you never know. but next year to me would seem like a year to potentially go all in again.
No

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The ideal situation is you spend capital on players who will be on the team this year and next.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I know Domi has been better since he moved to centre, but there still needs to be an upgrade there. If Domi and Tavares can't be relied upon for defence and Kampf can't score, it leaves Matthews as the only C with true two-way acumen. Going to need more of that in the playoffs.

Yeah Domi works if you’re running Tavares-ROR-Marner as a second line and can feed Domi 70% offensive zone starts against 3rd pairs.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

This is a position that is just difficult to upgrade. I am sure if they could upgrade it, they would.
Better off spending more cap at C and replacing Bertuzzi with a youngster.

Looking at the top 15 Players who are listed as C or who can play C according to Capfriendlfy according to points:

Steven Stamkos
Matt Duchene
Elias Lindholm
Sean Monahan
Chandler Stephenson
Michael Amadio
Sam Lafferty
Max Domi
Jason Dickinson
Adam Henrique
Nick Foligno
Alexander Wennberg
Oskar Sundqvist
Thomas Novak
Tyler Johnson

Many of these players I don't even consider C's
In many cases, I would just hand the 3C to Minten over signing some of these players.
And the ones I like will probably be involved in bidding wars this upcoming summer.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

1. Larsson

2. Blais

Larsson would be great. I know Savard is another name that’s been thrown around. Not as good as Larsson but I can see a fit for him as well if we were to strike out on Larsson/Tanev

horner

May 22, 2007
Do people not look at stats before they post ?

horner

May 22, 2007
Larsson would be great. I know Savard is another name that’s been thrown around. Not as good as Larsson but I can see a fit for him as well if we were to strike out on Larsson/Tanev
1st + 3rd + Niemela

Larsson 4.1 mil
Yanni Gourde C/W 5.1 Seattle would need to retain 2 mil
Playoff performer +++

Trade Domi

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Big/fast 4LW (6'3, 91st percentile skating speed). 3 fights this season, 6 fights last season. He is a positive WAR player this year. He has 11 points/4 goals in 28 games playing 13:23/game.
Yeah, I did some digging on him, but thanks, it's a good shout though.

I wonder what Nas would want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad