Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Bertuzzi replaced Bunting. What I am saying now is that Bertuzzi's spot is probably going to a youngster Cowan/Minten/Steeves? There are no open top 9 forward spots... someone has to go to open slots. If Bertuzzi is back... then who is moved.... Robertson, Jarnkrok? There are only so many forward spots.
It seems like many posters are ignoring what is in the pipeline. If Minten and Cowan take two top 9 spots... well then 2 people have to go.

The D however is swiss cheese, and needs two top 4 D.
So I am taking Bertuzzi's cap and Brodie's cap and getting myself 2 top 4 D if possible.
I see Robertson being the casualty here.

Minten seems like the perfect Kampf replacement next season centering the 4th line.

Cowan will probably line up on the wing on the third line with a vet like Jarnkrok.

I can see Robertson apart of a deal to acquire a defenceman.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Minten seems like the perfect Kampf replacement next season centering the 4th line.

Cowan will probably line up on the wing on the third line with a vet like Jarnkrok.

Then who’s on the second line?

horner

May 22, 2007
And yet was supposed to play tonight… and then taken out of the lineup and sent home. It’s possible he’s still injured, but then how was he cleared to be playing?? Anyway… just a heads up, maybe he’s injured, maybe somethings up.
Ok didn't know

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Not to be overlooked is our recent wins have given Treliving leverage in trades for defence by not putting him in a position of desperation that other GM’s can try to exploit.

It’s a very different negotiating position than if we were losing.

I just hope he makes the right trade. So far, he’s had a couple of bloopers and a couple of solid moves. He needs to nail our RHD issue with a solid long term solution.

horner

May 22, 2007

If minten is on the 4th line he will be innthe whl again

Minten centering the 3rd line
Kampf centering the 4th line

Cowen(Cowan) Minten Jamcrock(Jarnkrok)

I think they will sign a top 6 forward and 2 dman

Sign one of these forwards
Tarasenko
Toffoli
Dickinson

Sign 2 dman
Skeji(Skjei) or pesce
Tanev
Domelo(DeMelo)
Ekman-Larson(Ekman-Larsson)
Walker

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LeafParade

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If minten is on the 4th line he will be innthe whl again

Minten centering the 3rd line
Kampf centering the 4th line

Cowen Minten Jamcrock

I think they will sign a top 6 forward and 2 dman
We’ve seen year after year how important a strong third line is in the playoffs. Having two rookies on it IMO is setting the team and the players for failure.

horner

May 22, 2007
We’ve seen year after year how important a strong third line is in the playoffs. Having two rookies on it IMO is setting the team and the players for failure.
Iam only starting Cowen of on the 3rd line

By the end of the season he will be on the second line.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
There's a lot of money coming off the books next year which should finally give us some flexibility to revamp our roster. Obviously, a lot of that depends on what happens with Nylander. Is he signed, traded, or walks for nothing. But there are definitely some great pieces that will be available, especially on the back end.

Free agent targets- Defencemen
Brady Skjei
Noah Hanifin
Chris Tanev
Brett Pesce
Nikita Zadorov
Dylan DeMelo

Free agent targets- Forwards
Sam Reinhart
Elias Lindholm
Michael McLeod

Now obviously looking at those targets, it's pretty evident that there's a lot more talent available on the defensive, which is great news for us as we need to revamp our defense. Personally, I would sign Pesce and Skjei for the defense, and depending on what we do with Nylander, I would love to sign McLeod to take over our 3C position, and if Nylander walks then Reinhart would be an absolute great addition and replaces Tavares as our 2nd line center.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Iam only starting Cowen of on the 3rd line

By the end of the season he will be on the second line.
Hard to really predict that. Let’s say the Leafs re-sign both Nylander and Bertuzzi. I highly doubt Cowan in year one would bump one of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Knies or Bertuzzi out of the top six. Is it possible? Sure, but that’s some high expectations for a 19 year old. IMO the best way to smoothly transition him into the NHL would be slotting him onto the third line with Jarnkrok and a solid two way 3rd line center which we’d have to acquire through free agency or trade. McBain would be my top target but that’s very unlikely but you have McLeod who’s suppose to be a UFA this upcoming summer.

Cowan - McLeod - Jarnkrok

Trade Kampf and sign Foegele.

Foegele - Minten - UFA/Marlie

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Bertuzzi's ability to stay with the team will depend on the caphit. Either for another one year 'show me' deal or a longer term deal. But on either one he's taking a drop on the avv if he has any hope of staying.
I just wouldn't.

I kind of want him moved now to create more cap space.

Reactions: CuuuJooo

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Although it hasn't showed up on the stat sheet, Bertuzzi has played very well over the last 10 games. Not sure they would be looking to move him. If anything, they might re-sign him.

Robertson has looked better this year but i don't really see him being able to succeed when it comes to playoffs. I could see him being moved at some point (likely in a package for a D-man) and more of a rugged forward added to compliment Jarnkrok and Domi on that third line.
Agreed. Would like a two way presence in Robertsons spot.

Reactions: TMLAM34

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
But, likely the most expensive of the D mentioned. If Calgary were asking a 1st+ on Tanev, Seattle would want quite a haul for Larsson.
No way Calgary asks or gets a 1st+ for Tanev. He is older than Z, costs more, has a modified NT and just got hurt again. If he comes back soon and is healthy and effective all the way to the TDL then weird stuff maybe happens but Calgary won't risk waiting until then because another injury sewers his value and there is always the potential for a season ending hit where they get zero. I listen to Flames radio a bit and the "insiders" for the most part are talking maybe a 2nd+. I think that is the market for him.

As for Larsson I don't think the Kraken consider a move. They were a 100pt club last year and he is signed thru 24-25. Even if they never get back into it this year that's really writing next year's playoffs off and Francis is a guy that has added vets when they were just shitty expansion fodder. Nice but not realistic.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
McCabe has played some of his best hockey in a Leafs jersey these past 10 games where he’s actually played on the right side.

Before we acquired him, I was constantly saying he should be our target to play with Rielly. Would love to see Keefe try McCabe next to Rielly.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Going to have to find a similar salary struggling goalie and hope for a change of scenery boost for both guys. Sammy's not looking like he'll snap out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad