Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
They should have the Brodie and Bertuzzi cap to play with.

Upfront, assuming Nylander extends... the top 9 next year will be.....
Matthews, Nyalnder, Marner, Tavares, Knies, Robertson, Jarnkork, X, X

The two remaining spots are currently by Bertuzzi/Domi. Both will not be back. When you have Cowan/Minten knocking on the door and Steeves with a solid season in the AHL. Add Grebenkin who will come across the pond the year after. Bertuzzi is likely not back. They are not going cap strap themselves with Bertuzzi with so many wingers in the pipeline. It doesn't make sense. To bring in these youngsters, they need to open up spots. I am assuming that one of Cowan/Minten/Steeves makes the team next year.

Reactions: arso40

horner

May 22, 2007
Pittsburgh is shopping
They aren't making the playoffs
Trade them Bertuzzi for a 1st lol

Cap wiz it doesn't work

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007

The two remaining spots are currently by Bertuzzi/Domi. Both will not be back. When you have Cowan/Minten knocking on the door and Steeves with a solid season in the AHL. Add Grebenkin who will come across the pond the year after. Bertuzzi is likely not back. They are not going cap strap themselves with Bertuzzi with so many wingers in the pipeline. It doesn't make sense. To bring in these youngsters, they need to open up spots. I am assuming that one of Cowan/Minten/Steeves makes the team next year.
I think both Cowen and minten will be in the lineup next yr.
Grebyonkin the following yr

With Minten not having to play any exhibition games to make the wj team tells me all I need to know about this player.

He only played in a hand full of games in the whl.

13 games 5 g 10 a 15 pts

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Although it hasn't showed up on the stat sheet, Bertuzzi has played very well over the last 10 games. Not sure they would be looking to move him. If anything, they might re-sign him.

Robertson has looked better this year but i don't really see him being able to succeed when it comes to playoffs. I could see him being moved at some point (likely in a package for a D-man) and more of a rugged forward added to compliment Jarnkrok and Domi on that third line.

horner

May 22, 2007

We will probably sign 2 UFA dman maybe

Skeji or Pesce I don't think Carolina will sign both

Then one of
Tanev
Demelo
Ekman-Larson he is having a rebirth
Dillon
Walker

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I think both Cowen and minten will be in the lineup next yr.
Grebyonkin the following yr

With Minten not having to play any exhibition games to make the wj team tells me all I need to know about this player.

He only played in a hand full of games in the whl.

13 games 5 g 10 a 15 pts

I have the same view, I am just being conservative.

Worse case scenario, Minten/Cowan don't make the jump next year. I just promote Steeves for a year.
The following year you have Minten/Cowan/Grebyonkin competing for spots.

They simply can't be locking up Bertuzzi to a long-term deal with so many high quality cheap wingers who need spots.
It makes the most sense to spend the cap on 2 top 4 D, where the Leafs do not have the same high quality prospects outside of Niemela.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I have the same view, I am just being conservative.

Worse case scenario, Minten/Cowan don't make the jump next year. I just promote Steeves for a year.
The following year you have Minten/Cowan/Grebyonkin competing for spots.

They simply can't be locking up Bertuzzi to a long-term deal with so many high quality cheap wingers who need spots.
It makes the most sense to spend the cap on 2 top 4 D, where the Leafs do not have the same high quality prospects outside of Niemela.
Agreed

They way people were discussing re signing bunting should be directly applied to re signing bertuzzi

"If he signs for x amount which admittedly would be lower than market yes.. if over that no" which is what i read a lot of and it was correct. I see no difference in bertuzzi to apply a different approach

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Agreed

They way people were discussing re signing bunting should be directly applied to re signing bertuzzi

"If he signs for x amount which admittedly would be lower than market yes.. if over that no" which is what i read a lot of and it was correct. I see no difference in bertuzzi to apply a different approach
I think it is a bit different because last year we didn't have Cowan/Minten/Steeves knocking at the door.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’d honestly re-sign Bertuzzi. He’s been a little snake bitten this year offensively but there’s no denying he attacks the puck the moment he steps onto the ice. We need more players like that.

Reactions: bax and uncleben

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I’d honestly re-sign Bertuzzi. He’s been a little snake bitten this year offensively but there’s no denying he attacks the puck the moment he steps onto the ice. We need more players like that.
I love him too but how do we keep him when we have a surplus there if we could trade jt and sign him then amazing but otherwise we have to re allocate that money to the d

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I love him too but how do we keep him when we have a surplus there if we could trade jt and sign him then amazing but otherwise we have to re allocate that money to the d
Domi, Brodie and Klingberg come off the books. That’s a little over 12 million total. I’d look to replace Kampf’s 2.4 million with Minten. There will be a little wiggle room to play around with.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Domi, Brodie and Klingberg come off the books. That’s a little over 12 million total. I’d look to replace Kampf’s 2.4 million with Minten. There will be a little wiggle room to play around with.
In theory your right new gm right? I just know kampfs apart of the team not that tuzzi isn’t just I don’t known if brad does it wouldn’t mind It were just essentially trading some of our over cooked guys

Pholus

May 23, 2014

The one good think about Bertuzzi not producing many points, it should lower the cost on his next contract. If you can get him for what Bunting got this year (3 x 4.5, limited trade protection), I would do that in a heartbeat. Bertuzzi has been impactful with Tavares, even if that isn't showing up on the scoresheet.

There is definitely a number the Leafs can't (shouldn't) go higher than with term, I just don't quite know where the line should be. Is it his current AAV? It's already not easy to swallow $5.5m for <0.5ppg, even if he looks good. Term length would also have to be factored in; he turns 29 in February, so you're buying declining years on a guy with some injury history...

Last edited:

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
so that is a plus for re-signing bunting?
Bertuzzi replaced Bunting. What I am saying now is that Bertuzzi's spot is probably going to a youngster Cowan/Minten/Steeves? There are no open top 9 forward spots... someone has to go to open slots. If Bertuzzi is back... then who is moved.... Robertson, Jarnkrok? There are only so many forward spots.
It seems like many posters are ignoring what is in the pipeline. If Minten and Cowan take two top 9 spots... well then 2 people have to go.

The D however is swiss cheese, and needs two top 4 D.
So I am taking Bertuzzi's cap and Brodie's cap and getting myself 2 top 4 D if possible.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Bertuzzi replaced Bunting. What I am saying now is that Bertuzzi's spot is probably going to a youngster Cowan/Minten/Steeves? There are no open top 9 forward spots... someone has to go to open slots. If Bertuzzi is back... then who is moved.... Robertson, Jarnkrok? There are only so many forward spots.
It seems like many posters are ignoring what is in the pipeline. If Minten and Cowan take two top 9 spots... well then 2 people have to go.

The D however is swiss cheese, and needs two top 4 D.
So I am taking Bertuzzi's cap and Brodie's cap and getting myself 2 top 4 D if possible.
oh i see what you're saying - but if a player is worth re-signing cause he 'fits', then you re-sign him and work out the pipeline afterwards.. play the numbers, what are the odds legit that cowan and minten come in and just contribute, all season. i mean this team needs to be treated as a contender while matthews is here, so banking on kids to come into THIS environment versus like zary and pospisal did in calgary is drastically different

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
oh i see what you're saying - but if a player is worth re-signing cause he 'fits', then you re-sign him and work out the pipeline afterwards.. play the numbers, what are the odds legit that cowan and minten come in and just contribute, all season. i mean this team needs to be treated as a contender while matthews is here, so banking on kids to come into THIS environment versus like zary and pospisal did in calgary is drastically different
They will be much closer to a contender if they get two top 4 D. The cap exists for one top 4D, but to get two, you need Bertuzzi['s cap.

It is sign a top 4 D + promote a youngster (which we have several apparently ready) or extend Bertuzzi.
This is one or the other. You cannot have both.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
They will be much closer to a contender if they get two top 4 D. The cap exists for one top 4D, but to get two, you need Bertuzzi['s cap.

It is a top 4 D + promote a youngster (which we have several apparently ready) or extend Bertuzzi.
This is one or the other. You cannot have both.
oh i don't want both - this team has lacked attention to really fortifying the defence since the muzzin trade - this defence is not strong enough to win 16 in the spring in my opinion. i agree with that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad