Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I wondered a little earlier in the season if a guy like Middleton couldn't be pried out of a desperate Minnesota. They were in a downward spiral, struggling with a league worst penalty kill, and looked like they could use a defensively responsible center.

Kampf wasn't playing well out of the gate here, and looked like he could be replaced internally by a guy like Holmberg. Maybe find a way to send them back Reaves, who they initially had an interest in re-signing.

The Wild appear to be rebounding, though. Their PK has been fine recently. Even though they're still "Edmonton territory" of bad, I can't see Bill Guerin wanting to trade off their blueline.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Ariozna did a pretty good job of rebuilding their RHD in 2023. They acquired Kesselring and Durzi for a 2nd and an expiring Bjugstad. Kesselring has put up crazy underlying numbers so far - he looks very promising, and he's 6'4. Durzi has found himself in Arizona so far this year playing nearly 23 minutes/game and putting up positive defensive numbers. Durzi is 25, Kesselring 23. They'd be mainstays as Toronto's 2/3 RD.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I guess the question is: what is his potential? His scouting reports leading up to the draft were pretty low on him and all the flaws that were there at the draft table appear to still be there (not enough offense for his size, not good defensively). His profile is closer to Sandin than it is a high end defenseman.
Well, this is where subjectivity will come in, I was and still am very high on him.

I'm unsure what reports you were going off, but he was in every scouting service's top 10. Also, he has recorded 32 points as a 19-year-old and his skating is well ahead of Sandin's.

horner

May 22, 2007
Well, depending on cap space, it's an option, but it doesn't help for this season.

Also, for a team that needs to watch every dollar, at least until JT or Marner is off the books, UFA hunting becomes even more risky.
That is why knies Cowen Minten and Grebyonkin on ELC is so important to us.

It allows us to spend on defence.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Yep, absolutely.

But as it stands the team is still kind of icing half an AHL defence right now, so figuring out who or what is expendable for moves right now is interesting.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Well, this is where subjectivity will come in, I was and still am very high on him.

I'm unsure what reports you were going off, but he was in every scouting service's top 10. Also, he has recorded 32 points as a 19-year-old and his skating is well ahead of Sandin's.
I always follow along with the Athletic for draft analysis. Pronman and Wheeler were relatively low on Drysdale (considering draft position). Stating not enough offense and poor defense. Those projections have bore out. 32 points, 20 EVP as a 19 year old defenseman is very impressive though - I will give him that.

He doesn't check the boxes of what the Leafs need though (big, good defensively).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Any interest in Broberg? He's going to be pretty cheap to aquire I'd imagine

He's big and he skates well but his development has stalled and the Oilers who can't develop anything are looking to move him

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

Basically this!

We have the new cap estimate for next year at 87.7 M, and we can probably guess the year after to be at least 90 M.
Running some numbers shows that their is plenty of cap to sign a top 4 D in the offseason.

Bertuzzi won't be back at his current cap hit. He could be potentially replaced by Cowen, Steeves, or some other cheap option. They are not sinking cap into another winger long-term with all the wingers in the pipeline. Cowan could make the team next year, and Grebenkin the year after. Then there is still Minten who could eventually fill in as the 3C if Domi moves on. The forward group is fine for the foreseeable future.

If Woll continues to play at this level, they likely sign up a cheap vet as insurance and roll the dice. Hildeby is starting to look like the real deal with the Marlies. So could be a cheap back up down the road.

That extra cap goes toward the D.
There is probably not enough cap room for two high end 4D, but you should have cap for at least one and another lower quality 4D.

Reactions: Thervguy

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

He's big and he skates well but his development has stalled and the Oilers who can't develop anything are looking to move him
I'd offer Timmins in a change of scenery trade ...and Broberg has a lower cap hit
He cant be worse defensively than Timmins, and he can be sent down too

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I always follow along with the Athletic for draft analysis. Pronman and Wheeler were relatively low on Drysdale (considering draft position). Stating not enough offense and poor defense. Those projections have bore out. 32 points, 20 EVP as a 19 year old defenseman is very impressive though - I will give him that.

He doesn't check the boxes of what the Leafs need though (big, good defensively).
I mean, with due respect to those guys, they aren't much different to you or any HF poster IMO. Also, it is common for many of these guys to play contrarian to a few guys in a particular draft.

I would also say that you say "not enough offense' yet also concede that he also produced impressive figures which seems contradictory.

Anyway, that trade would be made independent of what stylistic needs right now. He's not physically imposing, that is obvious. It's about building a defence core with some continuity, rather than changing 3 or 4 every summer or deadline.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Ariozna did a pretty good job of rebuilding their RHD in 2023. They acquired Kesselring and Durzi for a 2nd and an expiring Bjugstad. Kesselring has put up crazy underlying numbers so far - he looks very promising, and he's 6'4. Durzi has found himself in Arizona so far this year playing nearly 23 minutes/game and putting up positive defensive numbers. Durzi is 25, Kesselring 23. They'd be mainstays as Toronto's 2/3 RD.
I think they are getting help respectively by moser and valimaki but your point stands

I really think toronto needs to identify their moser before their durzi is brought in

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Who is a RHD dman available for option 3 ? I can’t even think of any.
Don't know if he's truly available but it would make sense for NYI to move Pulock in the right deal.

Dobson has taken over as the #1RD and PP QB, they resigned Mayfield to a 7 year deal to do the heavy lifting on defense and PK on RD. They also have quality on LD in Pelech and Romanov.

7 years at a reasonable cap would make him costly to acquire.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd offer Timmins in a change of scenery trade ...and Broberg has a lower cap hit
He cant be worse defensively than Timmins, and he can be sent down too

I wonder if you keep Timmins but offer them one of those guys that's close on the Marlies like Steeves or McMann instead?

We kind of need Timmins until our injured guys get back to playing

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I wonder if you keep Timmins but offer them one of those guys that's close on the Marlies like Steeves or McMann instead?

We kind of need Timmins until our injured guys get back to playing
I do not value Timmins that much but he has more value than broberg.

I give them a Marlie forward like McMann, just to have more defender depth options with the Marlies. The Marlies have too many borderline NHL forwards, have to move some of them out.

Reactions: Kiwi

horner

May 22, 2007
Yep, absolutely.

But as it stands the team is still kind of icing half an AHL defence right now, so figuring out who or what is expendable for moves right now is interesting.
I would rather trade one of the core players.

Each one of those prospects I mentioned come with passion skill and a physical edge and don't mind getting into a fight something that we dont have alot of.
Especially with the core 4 .
Knies is just starting his career which has been really good so far, can only imagine what he is going to turn into.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I agree it would be the preferred option however, if there isn't a deal involving Nylander, who's really attractive if you're another team?

Knies is the first guy most would go for.

Knies would be a non starter.

The Leafs next couple 1sts + anyone in the prospect pool would be moved before him

Reactions: Rocker13

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

TB is gonna trade them someone like De Haan and a 7th round pick. I can just feel it.

I'd be interested. Not sure what Broberg wants out of the deal, but I assume more NHL playing time and I'm not sure we're that team.

Last edited:
Reactions: horner

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

Well it’s beggars for us…I think if he’s cheap we should see what’s there (left?).

Reactions: horner

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
All iam saying is that to get a top 4 dman it will cost you a 1st + a top prospect Minten or Cowen since we don't have another 1st or 2nd next yr.
Iam not willing to trade Minten ,Cowen or Grebyonkin
I definitely don't what to use a first on Tanev or a UFA

Hanifin wants to play in the states and wants 7.5 mil

What are you willing to give up for Tanev and Peeke
Would not give up a first for a majorly declining asset.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Edmonton is letting Philip Broberg shop his services. I say you try to get him at a reasonable price and see if our developmental system can rebuild the 8th overall pick from 2019, 6'4", 212 pound, LHD, Swedish make, only recently still compared to guys like John Carlson, Noah Hanifin. Get him as a long term project and see if you can't build a top pairing guy internally.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Edmonton is letting Philip Broberg shop his services. I say you try to get him at a reasonable price and see if our developmental system can rebuild the 8th overall pick from 2019, 6'4", 212 pound, LHD, Swedish make, only recently still compared to guys like John Carlson, Noah Hanifin. Get him as a long term project and see if you can't build a top pairing guy internally.

I'm game, he's a talented kid

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
So a $4.175 million increase.

$1.51 million went to Matthews... leaving $2.665 to go to Nylander, which gets him up to $9.6 million, which is a good framework for a new deal. Couch cushion money to pay the rest (if any) depending on how smoothly negotiations go. Minimal impact to the rest of the roster, for better or for worse.
There's also Klingberg's money and likely Bertuzzi's. Then the year after that, hopefully another $4M increase and a Johnny T decrease.

Reactions: LeafParade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad