Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Some of the home grown Rangers are now approaching their 30's and are up for new contracts. Girardi,Callahan and Staal. That is the issue. Girardi will be 30. Callahan will be 29. Staal turned 27 a few days ago. He has one more year left on his contract.

Darren Dreger mentioned(January 3rd NHL Network)there was a very good possibility that DZ will be here for the rest of the season. AV put DZ back on the left side and Moore on the right side. The Rangers want a top 4 D in exchange for Del Zotto.

All of these guys are up for new contracts. Girardi,Callahan,DZ and Moore in July. Staal is up next July.

The frustrating thing is the trading deadline is 48 days away and the same questions remain about this team. So many unsigned players. They will be rushing to get players signed and they won't have enough time to get the players signed. Except for Lundqvist,the unsigned players are still unsigned. If they don't something for those unsigned players,how is management replacing those players? There aren't many young players ready to step in. Its either re-sign those players or sign other players. They don't have many assets to trade for other players to fill those needs. To sign Lundqvist,the Rangers had to be dragged to the cliff. His play was suffering. Lundqvist looked lost. The Rangers gave him the 7th year and the extra $1M-$1.5M. Its been almost six weeks and the other guys haven't been signed.

may not be the right thing to do but I am going to guess during the Olympic break they resign Girardi. I would also be real surprised if Cally the Captain leaves. Hes from NY. Just seems like a Ranger

Sure they could get a lot for them but its real tough to find solid RD. They cant even find one for DZ. Callahan does everything well. He's just a great overall player. IF the team doesn't tank they wont move them. I highly doubt they tank given recently play

I don't worry about signing RFAs cause they pretty much have to sign eventually. The team has the power. so DZ, Moore , it will work itself out

C- Stepan, Brassard, Miller, UFA Pker...Brich buy out, let Boyle/Moore walk or deal now for a player for this/next yr and/or picks

LW Kreider, UFA, Hagelin, Carcillo( yea I said it )........let Pouliott walk or sign cheap

RW- Nash, Callahan(resign), Zuccarello, Dorsett
still have Lindberg , Fast, Kristo to try and make the team

They really are fine upfront. Yea a lot has to get done in terms of signing everyone but I think as fans we worry to much and it always works out.

Look at the cap. We all flip out and wonder if guys will fit in. Well the Rangers are 19th on list for cap space. Everyones tight which is why the cap is going up

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Some of the home grown Rangers are now approaching their 30's and are up for new contracts. Girardi,Callahan and Staal. That is the issue. Girardi will be 30. Callahan will be 29. Staal turned 27 a few days ago. He has one more year left on his contract.

Darren Dreger mentioned(January 3rd NHL Network)there was a very good possibility that DZ will be here for the rest of the season. AV put DZ back on the left side and Moore on the right side. The Rangers want a top 4 D in exchange for Del Zotto.

All of these guys are up for new contracts. Girardi,Callahan,DZ and Moore in July. Staal is up next July.

The frustrating thing is the trading deadline is 48 days away and the same questions remain about this team. So many unsigned players. They will be rushing to get players signed and they won't have enough time to get the players signed. Except for Lundqvist,the unsigned players are still unsigned. If they don't something for those unsigned players,how is management replacing those players? There aren't many young players ready to step in. Its either re-sign those players or sign other players. They don't have many assets to trade for other players to fill those needs. To sign Lundqvist,the Rangers had to be dragged to the cliff. His play was suffering. Lundqvist looked lost. The Rangers gave him the 7th year and the extra $1M-$1.5M. Its been almost six weeks and the other guys haven't been signed.

The last paragraph nails it. The most frustrating thing about this team is that there doesn't seem to be a plan in place. Wait until the last possible minute and see where the team is at, then decide on a direction? That's a stupid, stupid way to manage a team.

Either commit to this team, or don't. Don't let the fact that the team will be a playoff bubble team at the trade deadline dictate the direction of the next several years. Sather can't possibly be that stupid, can he?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The last paragraph nails it. The most frustrating thing about this team is that there doesn't seem to be a plan in place. Wait until the last possible minute and see where the team is at, then decide on a direction? That's a stupid, stupid way to manage a team.

Either commit to this team, or don't. Don't let the fact that the team will be a playoff bubble team at the trade deadline dictate the direction of the next several years. Sather can't possibly be that stupid, can he?

is this based on Girardi and Callahan not signed or dealt? Ummmm maybe they are negotiating and trying not to spend a ton on these guys? Have some patience something will go down before next yr. Still half a season, playoffs and an offseason to figure out the roster for next yr

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
is this based on Girardi and Callahan not signed or dealt? Ummmm maybe they are negotiating and trying not to spend a ton on these guys? Have some patience something will go down before next yr. Still half a season, playoffs and an offseason to figure out the roster for next yr

They've been able to negotiate with them for a long, long time. It shouldn't come down to some ******** situation where the team is forced into a deal like they were with Lundqvist. They gave him that deal because they were convinced it was making his play suffer.

Potentially letting this go down to the wire like the Preds did with Suter is a recipe for disaster. People ***** on here all day long about losing Girardi in a trade. How about if we lose him for nothing?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
They've been able to negotiate with them for a long, long time. It shouldn't come down to some ******** situation where the team is forced into a deal like they were with Lundqvist. They gave him that deal because they were convinced it was making his play suffer.

Potentially letting this go down to the wire like the Preds did with Suter is a recipe for disaster. People ***** on here all day long about losing Girardi in a trade. How about if we lose him for nothing?

I get the concern but there is time. To me the players want a ton and the GM is trying to talk them down. In the end Girardi and Callahan are original Rangers and I am confident they will work something out.

I doubt they are traded if the team is in a playoff race. Lets see what the next 3 weeks bring. They will have no problem trading them for solid assets a the deadline if they choose. So to answer your questions YES Sather is that stupid. He is totally going to base making a deal with those 2 players on where the team is at the deadline.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It doesn't take this long to negotiate a contract. The Rangers have known Girardi and Callahan for a long time. They know each player very well. Polie was heartbroken when Suter went to Minnesota. Florida could have traded Bouwmeester but they didn't. He was traded to Calgary for a late round pick and the player signed there. Big whoop.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
I don't know how many times everyone has to say it, but if Girardi and Callahan wanted reasonable contracts, they would have signed by now. End of story. How many times are Strang and Gross going to have to tweet "no updates" or "no progression" before it's too late? The trade deadline isn't far away, the time to work is NOW. And the more time goes by, the more I'm convinced that they need to be traded.

BarbaraAlphanse

It doesn't take this long to negotiate a contract. The Rangers have known Girardi and Callahan for a long time. They know each player very well. Polie was heartbroken when Suter went to Minnesota. Florida could have traded Bouwmeester but they didn't. He was traded to Calgary for a late round pick and the player signed there. Big whoop.

Small market hockey teams. Not comparable.

Punxrocknyc19*

I don't know how many times everyone has to say it, but if Girardi and Callahan wanted reasonable contracts, they would have signed by now. End of story. How many times are Strang and Gross going to have to tweet "no updates" or "no progression" before it's too late? The trade deadline isn't far away, the time to work is NOW. And the more time goes by, the more I'm convinced that they need to be traded.

if Callahan can get what Jason Pomniville back in a trade it must be done..

compairing to this trade:

Buffalo Sabres traded Jason Pominville and a 4th round selection in 2014 to the Minnesota Wild for Matt Hackett, Johan Larsson, a 1st round selection in 2013 and a 2nd round selection in 2014.

id be happy with a trade like this:

say Rangers trade Callahan and Boyle to Hawks for Teuvo Teravainen, Ryan Hartman, Jeremy Morin, 1st in 2014 any chance something like this happens??

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

It isn't just about next year though. It's about the next 5 years. There are only 2 options here: sign them or trade them. If they won't sign for a reasonable contract, they have to be traded. Letting them walk would be a disaster. Overpaying them won't be a problem in the short term, but will likely impact our ability to build a contender in the long term.

We have signed so many UFAs looking to score big on their last contract and how many have worked out? Gaborik was the only reasonably effective signing we have had. Just for once, why don't we let the other teams be the ones making the mistakes. It reminds me of a quote by Homer Simpson:

Because sometimes the only way you can feel good about yourself is by making someone else look bad. And I'm tired of making other people feel good about themselves!

BarbaraAlphanse

Yes, because our big market team is completely adverse to making personnel mistakes.

I'm simply saying that we're not going to lose these players for nothing. Sather will over pay them if they decide not to move them. We have the space, we're not strapped for cash, and even if we were strapped for cash I would still put my money on Sather finding a way to overpay these 2 particular guys.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Buffalo Sabres traded Jason Pominville and a 4th round selection in 2014 to the Minnesota Wild for Matt Hackett, Johan Larsson, a 1st round selection in 2013 and a 2nd round selection in 2014.

say Rangers trade Callahan and Boyle to Hawks for Teuvo Teravainen, Ryan Hartman, Jeremy Morin, 1st in 2014 any chance something like this happens??

We aren't getting that much for them. That's basically Morin + 3 1st round picks. Take out Teravainen and it will be closer, though chicago would need to add salary to make it work and they don't really have anyone they would want to dump.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm simply saying that we're not going to lose these players for nothing. Sather will over pay them if they decide not to move them. We have the space, we're not strapped for cash, and even if we were strapped for cash I would still put my money on Sather finding a way to overpay these 2 particular guys.

You act like that's somehow supposed to be a comforting thought. Overpaying for players isn't any better than letting them walk for nothing.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Different situations. Pomminville was signed for another year and was basically a lock to sign an extension with Minnesota.

That being said, I expect that if Callahan is dealt, the Rangers will attempt to move him to a place where he'd re-sign in the hope that they'd get a better value in trade.

Punxrocknyc19*

We aren't getting that much for them. That's basically Morin + 3 1st round picks. Take out Teravainen and it will be closer, though chicago would need to add salary to make it work and they don't really have anyone they would want to dump.

maybe a guy like Brookbank, i can see them trading if they wanna cut salary..

Boyle was traded for a 3rd when he was barely an NHL player, i would think that Boyle's value has rose since then.. Boyle can net a low 1st round pick from a playoff team and if not that he should be able to get the Rangers at least a decent prospect or 2ed round pick.

MortUWary

Registered Loser
Jul 19, 2007
This might not be the most popular opinion here, but I don't believe that the Rangers brass is as myopic with their vision of the team as you think. How many of you HONESTLY saw the Gaborik for Brassard/Moore/Dorsett deal coming last trade deadline? Whether Gorton was at the wheel while Slats was tending to his Prostate Cancer issue, this was a wise move and not one that was simply for last season.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that the organization has turned a corner, with regard to building a team. I think years ago, we would've seen a lateral change of scenery deal for Del Zotto by now (I for one, called a Kulikov for DZ deal in October, which was the quintessential, easy, 1-for-1 solution this organization has taken before: i.e. Lisin, Zherdev). It looks like they're holding out for the right deal with him or at least waiting until things clarify on Girardi's contract and/or Staal's health. The quick looks for Conor Allen and Dylan McIlrath appeared to be an opportunity to see whether they were ready to step up should the team have a need after a deal is made down the road.

I'm willing to see how the next 48 days play out before I go back to ripping Sather and the front office. I'd like to think that Gorton has a little more input in the direction of the team and that any moves made will be with AV's coaching/personnel preferences in mind. Considering that they gave AV a long-term deal, they should be looking at the intermediate-term and not just for this season.

BarbaraAlphanse

You act like that's somehow supposed to be a comforting thought. Overpaying for players isn't any better than letting them walk for nothing.

No, in this particular case, I said what I said, in the manner that I said it, to quell further discussion that we may potentially lose these guys for nothing once free agency begins LIKE Fla or Nash lost two of their top UFAs.

We are a prestigious club. Players love playing in this city. We've had relative success and it has been sustained relative success. We have the money. We have a GM who overpays on his FAs. Add 2 + 2 together. I see no reason for people to continue to drive home the point that we may lose these two particular guys for nothing if we don't trade them.

It is highly unlikely we lose either guy for nothing. It may be worse to sign them to gross contracts, but I'm not arguing what is the better course of action. In any event, the likelihood of them walking at the ending of the season is slim to none.

Furthermore, there's a mentality on this board to be negative no matter what happens. There is no winning. It's bad if we keep them. It's bad if we trade them.

Truth is, we don't know what will be the right decision. There are large risks associated with moving them and large risks associated with keeping them and giving them raises.

Recognize that we're in a **** situation no matter what and that even if you get what you want it may be the wrong decision.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
To play devil's advocate... how well did the whole allure of playing in a "premiere" big city, GM willing to overpay for free agents, continually successful team thing work out when it came time to resign Prust?

You're assuming that's the obvious outcome, but what are some actual examples of non-restricted free agents over the last few years who have taken less money to play for the Rangers?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Yay?

Josh3217

May 30, 2013
Callahan+J.Moore+Fast
for
Nieto+Demers+1st

Girardi+3rd
for
Etem+Sbisa

Do either of those make sense?

Two young wingers coming back, plus two RHD and a solid pick.

parcsalooc

Jul 27, 2010
To play devil's advocate... how well did the whole allure of playing in a "premiere" big city, GM willing to overpay for free agents, continually successful team thing work out when it came time to resign Prust?

You're assuming that's the obvious outcome, but what are some actual examples of non-restricted free agents over the last few years who have taken less money to play for the Rangers?

When your old lady lives in Quebec...things can change

Punxrocknyc19*

Callahan+J.Moore+Fast
for
Nieto+Demers+1st

Girardi+3rd
for
Etem+Sbisa

Do either of those make sense?

Two young wingers coming back, plus two RHD and a solid pick.

id do it but Etem is a California kid so i doubt they deal him unless its an overpayment but i wouldnt mind him here.. Rangers need more size and grit on the wings.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'm not just talking about any players. I'm talking about our captain and our assistant captain who have been with this particular organization for their entire careers.

Also, you contradicted yourself. The association between our GM and UFA's is that he overpays, not that players take discounts to play here. The allure of the city puts the team on many UFA's dream list. The overpayment makes that dream a reality for a select few when the Rangers aren't financially strapped.

Cally and Girardi took gentleman's agreements their last contracts. This is their payday. I wouldn't be surprised if the unspoken agreement was that they'd get their dues if they took team friendly deals during their RFA negotiations. Wouldn't surprise me if McDonough is in the same boat, he'll be around Girardi's age when this contract is over.

And Prust was a casualty because we weren't sure where the cap was going and wanted to maintain the cap flexibility for this offseason. It was unfortunate, just the circumstance. Same restriction doesn't apply this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad