Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The question is though, why isn't Staal willing to sign an extension? If it's because he's Carolina bound, that really only leaves one possible trade option. Would Toronto be so brazen as to trade for him for one and a half seasons before he likely heads to join his brothers?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The question is though, why isn't Staal willing to sign an extension? If it's because he's Carolina bound, that really only leaves one possible trade option. Would Toronto be so brazen as to trade for him for one and a half seasons before he likely heads to join his brothers?

Ideally if you KNOW this, you shop Staal as a 1.5 year "rental". That is the type of value he would return from a contender...prospect + a pick. Not a, for example, Justin Faulk. Carolina would be in the mix...and maybe they second guess the idea of being "guarenteed" Marc if he gets traded to a legit top contender like the Ducks.

If you go right to Carolina they will give up nothing since to your point that will show their hand too much. At least with the rental angle you can sell the "we're just concerned about his health" story to other teams, trying to get them to bite on reclaiming a top pairing dman. Which is not ideal, admittedly

But I'm not even sure Staal himself "knows" anything regarding his decision at this point.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007

You would trade him to a contender that think that he is the missing piece. Toronto would most likely not be that team. Does he have a NTC?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Why not? It's been rumored that Vanek wants to go back to Minnesota, and the Isles still traded for him. OTOH, the Wild dealt for Pominville, (and gave up quite a package), a year ahead of his free agency, even though they were also expected to be his destination.
IMO, if the Rangers do decide to move Staal, they should be able to get at least what we have been speculating what Girardi would bring in a deal.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
What about Montreal? Staal + Fast for Max Pac? I'm drooling thinking of our top 2 lw as Patches and Kreider. It also gives Montreal a stay at home d for Subban.

Edit: after further review, Montreal has 4 dmen who are ufa after this year including Markov. Adding Staal would give them 2 runs and make losing Markov easier if he leaves. There's a lot of pressure to win in Montreal, 20 year drought, rumors of Max Pac butting heads with the coach. Maybe if the Rangers take on Briere or Desharnais with Patches a deal could be easier to make

Last edited:

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Still love to Get Simmonds on our team..

21 points in the last 20 games..

Size..

Attitude..

Toughness..

He'd fit right in...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Quite frankly, if Staal only wants to go to Carolina there is something wrong with him lol...

Most hockey players get just as close to some of their teammates as their brothers... Carolina is Carolina. Etc.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't know. I don't think the "joining his brothers" rumor is something that can be stamped out around the league. Sell him as a 1.5 year rental, or trade him to Carolina. Even if it was all smoke and mirrors, Carolina still had to consider NY as a possible option for Jordan when they were dealing for him. We don't have that card to play against them in negotiations.

At least with a rental player, there's a reasonable chance that the player would re-sign with you. With Marc Staal, if that option isn't even on the table, what do they realistically expect to get? Especially when you take into consideration the recent rash of injuries he's dealt with?

Ultimately though, it's all a moot point. If he's not extending here, then he has to be traded. I'm just spinning my wheels speculating about the pitfalls.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If we can get a good return for Staal I definitely wouldn't mind moving him rather than Cally or G for the speculated return for the later.

Staals value isn't the same as it was, but he just gotta be really intriguing for a bunch of teams from contenders to teams like EDM and Colorado and others.

A lateral move where we move from a position of strength to position of weakness could really move this team along. I don't think we miss nearly as much in terms of overall ability as we do as a team as a hole.

If we can get a younger grade A forward prospect / young player or a younger grade A PMD prospect or young player it could bring us along quite a lot.

Another issue with Staal is definitely the depth chart. We got McD / Staal / MDZ / Moore / Falk / Allen / Skjei and co at LD. It seems a lot easier to pick up a LD than RD too. Strålman is a UFA. A lot if people are in favor if dumping Girardi, what if we do that and Strålman won't resign for less than 4.5m, what do we do then? Let him go and forfeit next season too? Ridiculous.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
If the plan is to move Del Zotto, then the Rangers run the risk of opening camp next season with Staal pending UFA and nobody else except Mcdonagh under contract.

Hartford hasnt offered any relief to the defense corps since 2011. All the call ups since then have been below average. Skjei is in college and McIlrath nobody knows.

This is a strategic year for the franchise. The choices Sather makes or doesnt make may very well doom the franchise.

Whats the plan? At least with the Giants we know.......offensive line and an uptempo offense.

Nobody outside of a few people at MSG know what the plan is for both the Knicks and Rangers. You can thank Dolan junior for that.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Pick one. Callahan or Girardi. Which one to re-sign? Callahan is the less durable. Girardi is one year older. Callahan will be more expensive. I would go with Girardi. Paying a D until he is 36 or 37 isn't ideal who adds no offense. If its pick one. Girardi. LeBrun wrote the Rangers are hopeful/confident about signing Girardi. http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nhl&id=28795&src=desktop&wjb

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Pick one. Callahan or Girardi. Which one to re-sign? Callahan is the less durable. Girardi is one year older. Callahan will be more expensive. I would go with Girardi. Paying a D until he is 36 or 37 isn't ideal who adds no offense. If its pick one. Girardi. LeBrun wrote the Rangers are hopeful/confident about signing Girardi. http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nhl&id=28795&src=desktop&wjb

I'd pick Girardi. Tough to trade a guy like Callahan, but he's seeing less time in the areas that bump him from a 3rd line utility forward to a 2nd line guy. Less PP time. Drastically less time on the PK. If that's the course that's been laid out for him by AV, can we really justify paying $6M per year for a 3rd liner? Didn't we learn our lesson with Drury?

Nash and Zucc are the top-six RW's. $6M for a utility player is bonkers.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Defensemen tend to age better than forwards. Their prime years generally begin later and end later.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I fear Slats won't trade either, will let both get to UFA and then will either get bent over or will let them walk for nothing.

The right move is to trade both before the deadline. If we have to sign one, then sign Girardi (although, again, I think that would be a mistake).

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
If we HAVE to resign a player, resign Girardi. I really wish we'd just trade both of them, though.

BarbaraAlphanse

Slats has the entire Olympic break to assess the situation of both players.

Forward thinking isn't his m.o. His version of forward thinking is trading for a star that will be here for years and affect the outcome of the team.

The right thing might be to trade them and retool, but why anyone thinks that he'll realistically entertain trading either, is beyond me.

I don't get how this topic can sustain months and months of beating down to it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
LeBrun wrote the Ducks want a righty. Give them Stralman. The Rangers haven't discussed any contract with his agent. The Ducks director of pro scouting David Bassegio was at the game last night.

BarbaraAlphanse

LeBrun wrote the Ducks want a righty. Give them Stralman. The Rangers haven't discussed any contract with his agent. The Ducks director of pro scouting David Bassegio was at the game last night.

How would you value Stralman, RB? He's one of the toughest to trade because his value is muddled. He brings an effective 2nd pairing to this team when paired with Staal. He's not offensive, when he wasn't with Staal he was lost defensively.

Worth more to this team than what the Ducks, or any other team for that matter, will offer.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Be careful what you wish for.

Girardi isn't good enough to warrant the 6 million he's going to get.

Callahan isn't nearly good enough to warrant the 6 million he's going to get.

Stop paying premium prices for non-premium players.

BarbaraAlphanse

Okay. So you want us to give you examples of captains/assistant captains in the 27-31 range who were homegrown players or close to it and were up for free agency and left. Can you give us examples of anyone in the last 8 years or so who meets that criteria at all, whether he stayed OR left? I can't think of a single player who fits this criteria. Your demand that we give examples of players similar to Callahan and Girardi who left is inherently ridiculous because there's nobody who meets that criteria in the first place. Can you give me examples of players similar to Callahan and Girardi who were up for free agency and instead were locked up to big contracts?

Off top of my head...

Getzlaf. He got paid though. 8 yr/8.25 mill

Same with Doan, although he's older. Around 5 mill for 4 years for a 36 year old. Lawd if the Rangers ever gave that type of contract out to one of their again players.... board meltdown.

Iginla before his last contract. He was 29. 7 mill for 5 years to stay with Calg.

Home grown players. Captains. They all get paid by their teams. Heart and soul guys.

BarbaraAlphanse

Girardi isn't good enough to warrant the 6 million he's going to get.

Callahan isn't nearly good enough to warrant the 6 million he's going to get.

Stop paying premium prices for non-premium players.

I definitely agree with the last part... but I'm just saying it's not as black and white as you think.

No "right" answer to this. A lot of risks associated with all opportunities.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Off top of my head...

Getzlaf. He got paid though. 8 yr/8.25 mill

Same with Doan, although he's older. Around 5 mill for 4 years for a 36 year old. Lawd if the Rangers ever gave that type of contract out to one of their again players.... board meltdown.

Iginla before his last contract. He was 29. 7 mill for 5 years to stay with Calg.

Home grown players. Captains. They all get paid by their teams. Heart and soul guys.

Huh? No. I meant the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad