Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I wouldn't trade Stralman. He's a playoff performer.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I feel like if you're gonna move Staal, might as well try to up the stakes and make a package around him for a first line forward.

Are there any #1 centers that might be available?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If you are looking at who is more important to their position on the team, it is easily Girardi over Callahan.

But, on the other hand, it is very unlikely we deal Callahan for any kind of return. When was the last time a team in playoff position traded their captain at the deadline?

BarbaraAlphanse

I feel like if you're gonna move Staal, might as well try to up the stakes and make a package around him for a first line forward.

Are there any #1 centers that might be available?

If you trade him, I think you need to retool. Carolina has Murphy who has the potential to be as good as Staal is. I think you center around those two players and then have Carolina add to it.

BarbaraAlphanse

If you are looking at who is more important to their position on the team, it is easily Girardi over Callahan.

But, on the other hand, it is very unlikely we deal Callahan for any kind of return. When was the last time a team in playoff position traded their captain at the deadline?

We would need to completely fall out of the playoff picture and then some sort of catastrophic rift come between him and Sather.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
LeBrun wrote the Ducks want a righty. Give them Stralman. The Rangers haven't discussed any contract with his agent. The Ducks director of pro scouting David Bassegio was at the game last night.

Strålman will stay in NY if he gets a long term deal. "4-5 year deal".

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=179&artikel=5601114

That is really a player I think Slats could get a good deal with, if he doesn't screw up. Stralman got 4 kids (or is it 5 now?). He would probably jump on like a 5 year 3m deal. That contract could turn out to be quite the steal...

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
If you trade him, I think you need to retool. Carolina has Murphy who has the potential to be as good as Staal is. I think you center around those two players and then have Carolina add to it.

What does this even mean?

1. We trade STAAL and suddenly THAT means we need to retool? Remind me of a Ranger who has missed more games the last two years than Staal without us missing the playoffs.

2. Murphy has the potential to be 'as good as Staal'? Based on what? His draft position and HF ranking? I'm not saying I wouldn't take Mutphy on this team because he's an offensive RHD but in what capacity will he be as good as Staal? They're incomparable players. They can't be 'as good as one another'. They're apples and oranges. One is a 6'4 shutdown dman and the other is an undersized offense first rookie.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Strålman will stay in NY if he gets a long term deal. "4-5 year deal".

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=179&artikel=5601114

That is really a player I think Slats could get a good deal with, if he doesn't screw up. Stralman got 4 kids (or is it 5 now?). He would probably jump on like a 5 year 3m deal. That contract could turn out to be quite the steal...

Straalman, obviously outside McDonagh has been the most solid Defensemen overall all year.

Would love to have him locked up.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
There are always circumstances behind a star player being traded. It's not like the GM wakes up one day and says he wants to trade one of his best players.

Look at Bobby Ryan, Seguin, Richards (on TB), Richards and Carter, Gaborik and Nash. All of them had either a problem with the coach, a problem with the team, a problem with the media, or just wanted a new beginning.

The Rangers are going to have start identifying candidates -- locked up or not -- who may want a change of scenery, but also wouldnt mind sharing the spotlight with a guy like Lundqvist.

The Nash trade didnt hurt tham the way people like to exaggerate. The idea that the Nash trade signified some dismantling of team identity is ridiculous.

The one void is up the middle. he Rangers havent gotten good play out of their centers this season or last season. You have to go back to 2008 when the Rangers were able to roll three lines with Dubinsky, Drury and Gomez up the middle, and even then they were inconsistent.

BarbaraAlphanse

What does this even mean?

1. We trade STAAL and suddenly THAT means we need to retool? Remind me of a Ranger who has missed more games the last two years than Staal without us missing the playoffs.

2. Murphy has the potential to be 'as good as Staal'? Based on what? His draft position and HF ranking? I'm not saying I wouldn't take Mutphy on this team because he's an offensive RHD but in what capacity will he be as good as Staal? They're incomparable players. They can't be 'as good as one another'. They're apples and oranges. One is a 6'4 shutdown dman and the other is an undersized offense first rookie.

Retool with the trade, not as a team philosophy.

And I may be (probably am) mistaking the Ryan Murphy part. Completely off the boat with this guy. Might have a different prospect in mind when thinking of him.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
With the ever-rising cap and the nature of some of the contracts handed out of late, I'd like a 5 year 15 million deal for Anton.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just a random thought because I've seen people bring up Phoenix before, but what would it take to get Mikkel Boedker? He definitely fits the top 6 speedy winger role, but I'm not sure what his cost would be.

UlfSamuelsson

Save By Lundqvist!
Apr 28, 2013
New York, NY
Given the recent win streak they've been on, I've certainly reconsidered my position, but I come up with the same conclusion; we should be sellers. I don't believe this team is a trade away from a cup contender.

Yes Hank and Nash are looking great. Kreider is making a run for the Calder. Still don't see more than one or two playoff rounds in this team, as much as I hope I'm wrong.

With Souray in Anaheim going down for season, does their demand increase? I m pretty sure people on these boards were putting him in a deal for Girardi.

Doubt Sather considers them sellers at deadline though, regardless of record.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
4-5 years for Stralman? Now you know why the Rangers haven't discussed a contract with Stralman's agent. 6 years for Girardi. 4 years for Stralman. They can't give everyone a long-term contract. The Rangers will have the same middling team. A few more wins and the proposals for rentals involving #1 pick will be on this board. Where's the barf bag?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
4-5 years for Stralman? Now you know why the Rangers haven't discussed a contract with Stralman's agent. 6 years for Girardi. 4 years for Stralman. They can't give everyone a long-term contract. The Rangers will have the same middling team. A few more wins and the proposals for rentals involving #1 pick will be on this board. Where's the barf bag?

yea no way. Hes solid and all but before he came to the Rangers he was inconsistent. I know most fans like him but Stralman walks unless its a descent 3 yr tops deal.

Rather have Girardi and Cally signed anyway. McIlrath may be close and DZ hopefully can get moved for a good young RD

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think that Stralman has been better than anyone really could have been predicted. But I think that some are taking that too far. I don't consider him a core player who you need to give a 3+ year contract to.

BarbaraAlphanse

Given the recent win streak they've been on, I've certainly reconsidered my position, but I come up with the same conclusion; we should be sellers. I don't believe this team is a trade away from a cup contender.

Yes Hank and Nash are looking great. Kreider is making a run for the Calder. Still don't see more than one or two playoff rounds in this team, as much as I hope I'm wrong.

With Souray in Anaheim going down for season, does their demand increase? I m pretty sure people on these boards were putting him in a deal for Girardi.

Doubt Sather considers them sellers at deadline though, regardless of record.

Souray hadn't played all season. I'm sure they'll love to add veteran leadership slightly more now but they're not desperate.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Literally everyone on defense but McD is in trade discussions rights now.

This team's D isn't bad.

I would not dismantle the whole thing to try to improve it a little.

This could turn out to be the 11-12 offseason with the bottom 6 all over. It's not perfect, so let's completely ruin it. I'm sure that'll work out.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Literally everyone on defense but McD is in trade discussions rights now.

This team's D isn't bad.

I would not dismantle the whole thing to try to improve it a little.

This could turn out to be the 11-12 offseason with the bottom 6 all over. It's not perfect, so let's completely ruin it. I'm sure that'll work out.

As opposed to, things might not work out, so let's do nothing and continue to run with the same mediocre group that's gotten us nowhere.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
As opposed to, things might not work out, so let's do nothing and continue to run with the same mediocre group that's gotten us nowhere.

The D has not been the problem, nor has it been mediocre IMO. Lack of consistent goal scoring among the forwards is, and has been, the problem for as long as this defense has been together.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Off top of my head...

Getzlaf. He got paid though. 8 yr/8.25 mill

Same with Doan, although he's older. Around 5 mill for 4 years for a 36 year old. Lawd if the Rangers ever gave that type of contract out to one of their again players.... board meltdown.

Iginla before his last contract. He was 29. 7 mill for 5 years to stay with Calg.

Home grown players. Captains. They all get paid by their teams. Heart and soul guys.

difference is that those are quite a few notches better than Callahan AND or Girardi.

Only comparable is that they are their teams captain.

other than that Callahan falls short by a fair margin.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad