Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
4-5 years for Stralman? Now you know why the Rangers haven't discussed a contract with Stralman's agent. 6 years for Girardi. 4 years for Stralman. They can't give everyone a long-term contract. The Rangers will have the same middling team. A few more wins and the proposals for rentals involving #1 pick will be on this board. Where's the barf bag?

I don't have an issue keeping Stralman for 4 years.

A solid defenceman that has proven an ability to play here in NY.

2.5 to 3 per for 4 years I think he takes that. With the cap increasing, it's not a hurtful number at all.

And at that number, should he get pushed down the depth chart by a Connor Allen or a Dylan McIlrath or a Brady Skjei, Stralman is a very tradable player.

Stralman is not the slightest bit of a problem for the Rangers. In fact, he's probably one of those few guys on the team that is providing the proper bang for the buck.

Making less than 2 million. Skates well, so he adds a dimension of mobility to the blueline, provides solid defence, a good outlet pass. Here's a guy you actually hope doesn't provide to much offence so that you can keep the $$ down. Its after he signs the contract that you hope his offence starts to outpace the annual numbers.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Strålman will stay in NY if he gets a long term deal. "4-5 year deal".

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=179&artikel=5601114

That is really a player I think Slats could get a good deal with, if he doesn't screw up. Stralman got 4 kids (or is it 5 now?). He would probably jump on like a 5 year 3m deal. That contract could turn out to be quite the steal...
Google translate says he wants a long-term deal, does it say 4-5 years though?

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Slats had a 3m option on Nyls, declined it and Nyls got like almost 6 and we signed Drury for 7x7 instead.

I am not suprised if this is talked about in the locker room, Slats forces everyone to take bridge deals etc while he pays expensive UFAs, and we it finally are the homegrown players turn, we dump him. There is just no patient in NY.

That wasn't the case w/ Nylander. The Rangers had an amazing post-lockout deal w/ Nylander for a shade over 2 million. Sather then had a handshake deal w/ Nylander's agent Theofanous for 3yrs/11.25 million (3.75 million/yr - WAY UNDER MARKET). Problem being, the agent didn't tell Nylander and Nylander found out. Fired Theofanous and went UFA.

Was a crazy summer for Michael Nylander as he first signed a deal w/ Edmonton (4y/22m - 5.5 million) where his wife did not approve then a slightly less deal with Washington (4y/19.5 - 4.875).

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Rumor

FB Account: True Blue - I Am A Ranger

Posted 3 hrs ago, rumor, NYR telling teams Girardi off trade block, will sign him.

Source. Pierre LaBrun.

*edit* Sorry. I see RB posted something earlier.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
The D has not been the problem, nor has it been mediocre IMO. Lack of consistent goal scoring among the forwards is, and has been, the problem for as long as this defense has been together.

So what's your plan for addressing that lack of offense despite few tradeable assets away from defense and little cap space? There's no pain-free way to address problems. Nobody's giving us a 30 goal winger or 1st line center for Benoit Pouliot or Dominic Moore. The way I see it, the only way we're going to bring in that offense we need is by sacrificing in areas that we're stronger and can take a hit. Like on defense.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
The defense isn't really suited for man-to-man and has been giving up more quality chances this year. McDonagh is the only one who has thrived offensively. Something has to give if they want more mobility on the blueline, John Moore isn't the answer. Not sure if extending both Girardi and Stralman to long-term contracts is a good idea.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
So what's your plan for addressing that lack of offense despite few tradeable assets away from defense and little cap space? There's no pain-free way to address problems. Nobody's giving us a 30 goal winger or 1st line center for Benoit Pouliot or Dominic Moore. The way I see it, the only way we're going to bring in that offense we need is by sacrificing in areas that we're stronger and can take a hit. Like on defense.

I absolutely agree. Then trade one d man and keep the rest as they are unless you can manage an obvious upgrade. Look for a cheap option to shore up a bottom pairing spot without embarrassing himself and take the lumps. I'm fine with that if it means getting a first line center, or even another Stepan-like 1/2 tweener. That is trading from depth to address a need. I just hope that the office is careful with huge overturn on the backend. The opportunity is there, with Girardi, Staal and DZ, maybe even Stralman, but I don't think it necessarily should be taken. They can afford to trade one guy back there if it's for a center. If they do that, they can't afford to also play around with other guys futures on the team unless they're sure they can replace them by some other means.

I think this d is pretty good and has been for a few years now. I don't want it to turn into McDonagh and five scrubs. That's all. I agree that one guy, not McDonagh obviously, could probably be traded for a forward without causing serious problems. More than one guy goes, and a better d-man is going to need to come back, no question.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Elliotte Friedman had a stat in a December blog about the Canucks D when AV was the coach. How many points did that D generate? 181 in 10-11 and 152 in 11-12. 147 pro-rated points last season. The Rangers need more offense from their blueline. Re-signing Girardi and Stralman long-term. No offense. Adding McIlrath and Skjei in the future. No offense. McDonagh has added offense to his game. Staal isn't an offensive guy. He will probably not be here past next season. DZ is on the outs. Moore is a project. The Rangers need to change the structure of their D. Keeping the same group and same type of players won't solve the issue. Some people want to play Tortorella hockey. You watch VAN play. Collapse in their zone. Takes them forever to generate a scoring chance. Thank goodness this team doesn't play like that anymore.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Elliotte Friedman had a stat in a December blog about the Canucks D when AV was the coach. How many points did that D generate? 181 in 10-11 and 152 in 11-12. 147 pro-rated points last season. The Rangers need more offense from their blueline. Re-signing Girardi and Stralman long-term. No offense. Adding McIlrath and Skjei in the future. No offense. McDonagh has added offense to his game. Staal isn't an offensive guy. He will probably not be here past next season. DZ is on the outs. Moore is a project. The Rangers need to change the structure of their D. Keeping the same group and same type of players won't solve the issue. Some people want to play Tortorella hockey. You watch VAN play. Collapse in their zone. Takes them forever to generate a scoring chance. Thank goodness this team doesn't play like that anymore.

I don't disagree, but, as long as Sather quits giving out these NTC and NMC deals on a whim then there is no harm in signing Girardi and Stralman for the 4+ years they are seeking and trading whomever away once McIlrath & Skjei prove themselves. Let's face it Skjei is only in his 2nd year of NCAA, so he is probably 3 years away from NHL duty at best unless he pulls a McDonagh.

If not G and Stralman, we let the go via trade or walk, then who would replace them? Just sign, probably overpay for two other shlubs? I don't see anyone worthwhile UFA this summer. I would rather be stuck with what we know then get caught in another Redden situation.

BarbaraAlphanse

Good points. Structure of D is different here though. Can't see how it'll change unless there is a big turnover.

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't disagree, but, as long as Sather quits giving out these NTC and NMC deals on a whim then there is no harm in signing Girardi and Stralman for the 4+ years they are seeking and trading whomever away once McIlrath & Skjei prove themselves. Let's face it Skjei is only in his 2nd year of NCAA, so he is probably 3 years away from NHL duty at best unless he pulls a McDonagh.

If not G and Stralman, we let the go via trade or walk, then who would replace them? Just sign, probably overpay for two other shlubs? I don't see anyone worthwhile UFA this summer. I would rather be stuck with what we know then get caught in another Redden situation.

3 years for Skjei?

He could sign with the AHL this offseason, play half a season for them, and depending on our depth, be a fill in if the team deems suitable. You're looking at finishing the rest of the year in the NCAA, playing a year in the AHL, and hopefully being ready by the start of the following season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Is that from recently?

Its from before the season.

He says 4-5 years at the end of the interview, in Swedish obviously. He is looking for a long-term deal. Wants the security with his big family.

BarbaraAlphanse

The defense isn't really suited for man-to-man and has been giving up more quality chances this year. McDonagh is the only one who has thrived offensively. Something has to give if they want more mobility on the blueline, John Moore isn't the answer. Not sure if extending both Girardi and Stralman to long-term contracts is a good idea.

That's AV's system. Open the game. They need more agile, faster, defenders.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013

This defense isn't suited to anything.

Can't play man defense. Losing assignments constantly. None of them can score except for McDonagh. What the **** can they do? Without Torts' system making players with rocks for brains look like stars, we're seeing just how non-dynamic our core of defense really is. AV's system involves constantly pushing the pace with mobile defensemen who can make first passes out of the defensive zone. Nobody on this team can do that except DZ and Stralman. And DZ is not having a good year. Staal used to be great at that, but I don't know what the hell happened.

This was NEVER a defense core you win championships with. Out of the players we have, I'll only be upset if we were to lose McDonagh, Stralman, and maybe Staal.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
So taking Girardi off the table now I think staal gets moved lol. I mentioned this in the trade forum what do you guys think of Marc staal for either Perron or yakupov?

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
So taking Girardi off the table now I think staal gets moved lol. I mentioned this in the trade forum what do you guys think of Marc staal for either Perron or yakupov?

No Perron.

If the Oilers are willing to do Staal + for Yakupov be my guest. I'd do that in a second.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
3 years for Skjei?

He could sign with the AHL this offseason, play half a season for them, and depending on our depth, be a fill in if the team deems suitable. You're looking at finishing the rest of the year in the NCAA, playing a year in the AHL, and hopefully being ready by the start of the following season.

He doesn't look ready yet to me. Didnt make US jr team last year, didn't stand out playing for them this year. Not exactly dominating Minnisota's blue line either.

I don't know about you, but I'm not in a rush to ruin this kid by pressuring him into a situation he is clearly not ready for yet.

The trend, with successful NCAA players the past few years has been for them to do the full 4 years then their NHL team get them into where they feel they need to be to learn what is missing from their game.

Skjei may skate well for his size. I won't deny that, but he doesn't look -2 yrs away from full NHL duty to me, nor does he look AHL ready either. And definately not pro next year.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I'd do Staal + for E. Kane. Or Staal for Byfuglien straight across. Winnipeg is stacked on right D and thin on the left, and their biggest struggle is giving up too many goals. A LH top four shut down D is something they really need.

SKjEi o2

Nov 13, 2013
Staal has only played 106 games in the past 3 seasons (including this one). He isn't worth what he used to be and the old Staal couldn't even get Byfuglien straight up. I see no place for him on this roster going forward.

Some dmen I would target:

Gardiner, Schultz, Edler, etc. Don't go for the big names, find youngish defensemen with a good 1st pass and nice wheels.

Only dmen I keep from current roster

McD
Del Zotto
Girardi if term is short.
Stralman if AAV is under $3.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers need to really bring one of Girardi, Stralman back next year or the right side of our D is going to be a big problem. About two months into the season before the Staal injury Stralman was playing really well but he's not been as good since. Been watching Girardi's average time of ice exponentially going up the past couple months while Stralman's has been gradually going down. Stralman has decent offensive instincts but AV-Arniel almost never put him out on the pwp--we do see Girardi sometimes. Gives me the idea that the coaching staff clearly favors Girardi over Stralman. Don't see the Rangers giving Stralman a long term contract for serious big $'s. Think their view is that they can replace Anton a lot easier than they can replace Girardi.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Just curious but would anybody entertain a trade with COL.

ROR for Staal?

Straight up, or maybe move another minor piece or two? Obviously trade couldnt happen until Feb 28th.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
No Perron.

If the Oilers are willing to do Staal + for Yakupov be my guest. I'd do that in a second.

honestly curious.

Why no to Perron?

He's a young 25 as he has missed significant time due to injury but it doesn't look like it's hurt his ability to play the same type of game he played prior to the injury.

Since coming back from the concussion suffered early 2010-11 season he's missed just 4 games.

He's plays the LW as well as the RW and with a need for a top 6 winger, having a righty shooting LW'er.

Solid at both ends of the ice. Not a PK'er, but solid.

Would be a much better option for the LW position than Pouliot

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Perron - Brassard - Zuccs
Hagelin - Richards - Callahan

next year after Richards is bought out, insert JT Miller on that 3rd line.

so, curious....why no on Perron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad