Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This is kind of random, and totally speculation because it would be unlikely to happen, but last year I suggested a Staal + Stepan trade for Giroux, and people laughed at me and called it a "drastic overpayment."

Doesn't look like it would be an overpayment now.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What the hell was carolina thinking? They could have gotten a lot for Semin at the trade deadline last year.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Rangers would be getting a lot more than Samuelsson.. Rangers is not a big team down the middle. this is one area they have to improve on as well..

I thought you were suggesting Stepan for Samuelsson straight up. That's how it was worded at least.

Samuelsson is one of my favorite prospects. Would love him on the team.

BarbaraAlphanse

Carolina has over 40 million invested in 7 players and Faulk and Tlusty are pending RFA. Seven million a season for Semin who has been a disaster.

They wont be able to afford Marc Staal unless they do something about it.

Shouldve unloaded Ward on Edmonton.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
This is kind of random, and totally speculation because it would be unlikely to happen, but last year I suggested a Staal + Stepan trade for Giroux, and people laughed at me and called it a "drastic overpayment."

Doesn't look like it would be an overpayment now.

How cares? It's still ridiculous and unrealistic.

BarbaraAlphanse

The way the team has been playing this team isn't going into the deadline thinking about selling Cally or Girardi.

Girardi is the more valuable of the two but doesn't fit AV's defensive game.

Callahan will be the more expensive of the two but isn't as durable as the former.

Top FA's that could fit:

Thornton
Marleau
Vanek
Stastny
Grabovski

Niskanen
MacDonald
Benoit

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
There are a lot of pretenders. The Blues are still pretenders because their goaltending will crumble come postseason. The Rangers are pretenders and will continue to be if they resign Callahan and Girardi. Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, the Kings and Anaheim, with the Blues the deepest in every area but goal.

Every other team just wants an identity but doesnt know what they are. The Sharks will crumble like they always do. Montreal and Tampa are massively overachieving.

This season has sucked from a trades standpoint. Too many gun shy GMs who like riding things out . Whats Calgary waiting for? What Carolina waiting for? What the hell are the Sabres and Devils doing?

My theory is the teams have too many "yes" men for GMs because the owners micromanage more than before. The owners care more about two home playoff dates than they do building a winner.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The way the team has been playing this team isn't going into the deadline thinking about selling Cally or Girardi.

Girardi is the more valuable of the two but doesn't fit AV's defensive game.

Callahan will be the more expensive of the two but isn't as durable as the former.

Top FA's that could fit:

Thornton
Marleau
Vanek
Stastny
Grabovski

Niskanen
MacDonald
Benoit

People keep saying Girardi doesn't fit AVs defensive game. Maybe on paper. Sorry by Girardi has been great for a while now easily our second best defenseman night in and night out and sometimes even the best. So I think he's fitting in under AV just fine.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
What the hell was carolina thinking? They could have gotten a lot for Semin at the trade deadline last year.

They were probably thinking that he played extremely well for them, showed fantastic chemistry with their top center, and that they want to win a cup sooner rather than later.

Just about that entire team has been underachieving this year. Semin at least has injury issues in his defense.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I thought you were suggesting Stepan for Samuelsson straight up. That's how it was worded at least.

Samuelsson is one of my favorite prospects. Would love him on the team.

I like Samuelsson too, but I'd love to have Boedker for his ridiculous speed and transition game. Michael Stone or Connor Murphy would be ideal too, but it would probably take MDZ, Brassard + to get Boedker and Murphy.

BarbaraAlphanse

Does Kristo make it next year? Does Fast? Does Lindberg? Does McIlrath? Does Allen? Miller?

I'm assuming that we start by trading DZ at some point. Then cut Brad.

Falk and Allen finish out the year for us. McIlrath finishes up the year in the AHL.

After that, I think Girardi gets resigned and Staal gets traded. I predict we don't retain Stralman either if Staal goes.

I think 2 spots will be up for grabs between 3 players: Moore, Allen, and McIlrath.

I think the final 2 spots will be given to a free agent and a player we trade Staal or MDZ for. The final 2 spots will be the 2nd pairing, while the prospect/moore winners will be the bottom pairing.

I think our big FA acquisition this year will be Stastny and he'll be paired with Brassard and Zucc.

Miller should be given the 3c duties with Hagelin and Callahan.

Keeping Boyle is a toss up to me. I think he's invaluable to the locker room and the PK. Depends on how much he wants. He may be a cap casualty.

Same with D. Moore, Carcillo, and Dorsett. Need some grit guys too.

A lot of work ahead of this organization. Conceivably, we should trade Callahan for some young assets. I think a suitable return would be a middle of the round 1st and a player that's value is similar to Silfverberg's. If you can get a team's best defensive prospect for him, in addition to a 1st, I think you set the team up very nicely heading into the future.

But when was the last time a team has ever traded its captain in the middle of the playoff hunt? Personally, I think we'll overpay to keep him too. Matches the GM's m.o.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Does Kristo make it next year? Does Fast? Does Lindberg? Does McIlrath? Does Allen? Miller?

I'm assuming that we start by trading DZ at some point. Then cut Brad.

Falk and Allen finish out the year for us. McIlrath finishes up the year in the AHL.

After that, I think Girardi gets resigned and Staal gets traded. I predict we don't retain Stralman either if Staal goes.

I think 2 spots will be up for grabs between 3 players: Moore, Allen, and McIlrath.

I think the final 2 spots will be given to a free agent and a player we trade Staal or MDZ for. The final 2 spots will be the 2nd pairing, while the prospect/moore winners will be the bottom pairing.

I think our big FA acquisition this year will be Stastny and he'll be paired with Brassard and Zucc.

Miller should be given the 3c duties with Hagelin and Callahan.

Keeping Boyle is a toss up to me. I think he's invaluable to the locker room and the PK. Depends on how much he wants. He may be a cap casualty.

Same with D. Moore, Carcillo, and Dorsett. Need some grit guys too.

A lot of work ahead of this organization. Conceivably, we should trade Callahan for some young assets. I think a suitable return would be a middle of the round 1st and a player that's value is similar to Silfverberg's. If you can get a team's best defensive prospect for him, in addition to a 1st, I think you set the team up very nicely heading into the future.

But when was the last time a team has ever traded its captain in the middle of the playoff hunt? Personally, I think we'll overpay to keep him too. Matches the GM's m.o.

Theres simply not enough 2nd/3rd line spots to accommodate the homegrown players/prospects.

BarbaraAlphanse

People keep saying Girardi doesn't fit AVs defensive game. Maybe on paper. Sorry by Girardi has been great for a while now easily our second best defenseman night in and night out and sometimes even the best. So I think he's fitting in under AV just fine.

Look a couple pages back. RB quotes Friedman. AV's defenders put up like 181 points in 10-11. 152 in 11-12. 147 prorated last year.

Girardi will put up maybe 15-20 for us?

Same with Staal, Stralman, Moore, Del Zotto...

Can't have ALL these un offensive defensemen.

In that sense, no he does not fit.

BarbaraAlphanse

Theres simply not enough 2nd/3rd line spots to accommodate the homegrown players/prospects.

Miller may be the only one. I think Kristo will earn a spot on the 3rd line too next year but depending on lack of moves/additions... both may not get a chance.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Look a couple pages back. RB quotes Friedman. AV's defenders put up like 181 points in 10-11. 152 in 11-12. 147 prorated last year.

Girardi will put up maybe 15-20 for us?

Same with Staal, Stralman, Moore, Del Zotto...

Can't have ALL these un offensive defensemen.

In that sense, no he does not fit.

FWIW your math is a little off. This is how our d-men would pro-rate according to TSN if the same six finished out the season.

McDonagh has 7-19-26--pro rated 12-32-44
Girardi has 3-9-12--pro rated he's 5-15-20
Del Zotto is 2-8-10 pro rated he's 4-15-19
Moore has 2-7-9 and pro rated he's 3-12-15
Staal is 2-4-6 and pro rated is 4-7-11
Stralman is 0-4-4 and pro rated is 0-7-7

Staal's and DZ have both missed a number of games which is why they pro-rate at a higher ratio than the others. Right now we have actual 16-55-71 (counting Falk's two assists) our pro rated numbers project to 28-90-118 including Falk's two assists.

AV is not working with even close to the same quality of puck moving D that he had in Vancouver. They are better defensively however. Personally I think McDonagh, Girardi and DZ (if he stays) will put up a little better than the above TSN projections but the others aren't going to sniff anywhere near 20 points.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Damn if that was for real...

COL defense is absolutely horrific. Watching them against the Devils yesterday... the only reason why they won was because the devils can't shoot the puck and Varlamov was fantastic

They Are the most aggressive man-man team in the league.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
When Jan Hejda and the rest of Colorado's D come back down to Earth, they'll fall right out of a playoff spot. They aren't that good.

turcotte8

Feb 15, 2008
NY
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

People asking me about Ryan O'Reilly. I know this: given how much I know Patrick Roy loves that player, would need to be mega mega offer...

Never say never, but odds are O'Reilly stays put unless Avs are blown away big time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad