Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
4-5 years for Stralman? Now you know why the Rangers haven't discussed a contract with Stralman's agent. 6 years for Girardi. 4 years for Stralman. They can't give everyone a long-term contract. The Rangers will have the same middling team. A few more wins and the proposals for rentals involving #1 pick will be on this board. Where's the barf bag?

Do you at any time envision that we couldn't move Strålman if we locked him up? If not, what is the downside by doing it?

He is 27 y/o. He will be 32 in 5 years. The cap is going up, its 80m in two years.

Elliotte Friedman had a stat in a December blog about the Canucks D when AV was the coach. How many points did that D generate? 181 in 10-11 and 152 in 11-12. 147 pro-rated points last season. The Rangers need more offense from their blueline. Re-signing Girardi and Stralman long-term. No offense. Adding McIlrath and Skjei in the future. No offense. McDonagh has added offense to his game. Staal isn't an offensive guy. He will probably not be here past next season. DZ is on the outs. Moore is a project. The Rangers need to change the structure of their D. Keeping the same group and same type of players won't solve the issue. Some people want to play Tortorella hockey. You watch VAN play. Collapse in their zone. Takes them forever to generate a scoring chance. Thank goodness this team doesn't play like that anymore.

I agree for sure with this, but I think Strålman gets more value if we lock him up now. Teams are looking for RD's.

If we find a good puck-moving RD, we could trade a forward for that D and then deal Strålman for a decent young forward, prospect or pick. Trust me, Strålman will most likely walk if he doesn't get a long contract from us. Detroit will undoubtedly give him one, for example. 5 years 3m per, that could be a real bargain.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That wasn't the case w/ Nylander. The Rangers had an amazing post-lockout deal w/ Nylander for a shade over 2 million. Sather then had a handshake deal w/ Nylander's agent Theofanous for 3yrs/11.25 million (3.75 million/yr - WAY UNDER MARKET). Problem being, the agent didn't tell Nylander and Nylander found out. Fired Theofanous and went UFA.

Was a crazy summer for Michael Nylander as he first signed a deal w/ Edmonton (4y/22m - 5.5 million) where his wife did not approve then a slightly less deal with Washington (4y/19.5 - 4.875).

Slats had an option year for Nyls, didn't execute it.

Failing to exercise a team option over the summer of 2005 for what would have been a 2007-08 commitment of $2.28 million ...
http://nypost.com/2006/12/14/rangers-aim-to-keep-nylander/

Grass is always greener with Slats...

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Everyone who is smart would. Carolina wouldn't do it. Murphy is looking good as a rookie PMD. Semin is playing terrible, but at 50% he's a steal.

Carolina will overpay to get the Staal's all together. Semin at half price would do wonders for this team. He's a great two way player despite what the xenophobes say, and has a great shot. Right handed too.

Murphy is a good prospect but still has questions to the defensive side to his game.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

People asking me about Ryan O'Reilly. I know this: given how much I know Patrick Roy loves that player, would need to be mega mega offer...

Never say never, but odds are O'Reilly stays put unless Avs are blown away big time...

How times have changed. Everyone thought that this time last year he would be traded at the deadline. Colorado will run into problems soon though. Their defense is playing over their heads right now. Whoever plays them in the playoffs this year will be licking their chops. I'll be absolutely shocked if they win a round.

Stralman is a tough situation, though I think what they do with him is entirely dependent on what the Rangers would do with Girardi. If Girardi goes, Stralman gets signed to a multi year deal. If Girardi stays, I can see the Rangers trading him or letting him go.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Carolina will overpay to get the Staal's all together. Semin at half price would do wonders for this team. He's a great two way player despite what the xenophobes say, and has a great shot. Right handed too.

Murphy is a good prospect but still has questions to the defensive side to his game.

Ryan Murphy would be awesome, that kid has some potential.

If nothing else, I imagine that we could swing Semin somewhere else if we got him at half price.

But Semin has so many years left, I doubt Carolina would retain money for that long...

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
There is a zero percent chance the Canes move Murphy. I can see something around Lindholm for Staal though.

Semin (With a third of his cap hit retained) and Lindholm for Staal. Semins cap hit would be $4.67/year to the Rangers.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Deal 1.
Trade Marc Staal for Ryan Murphy and Cam Ward

Deal 2.
Cam Ward for Nail Yakupov

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
There is a zero percent chance the Canes move Murphy. I can see something around Lindholm for Staal though.

Semin (With a third of his cap hit retained) and Lindholm for Staal. Semins cap hit would be $4.67/year to the Rangers.

Zero chance they move Murphy, the 12th pick from 2011 who looks like a middle/bottom pairing offensive dman but you can see them moving Lindholm, the 5th overall from this past summer, who looks like an eventual second line two way stud. I never get the logic on this side.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The 29-year-old, who leads the Rangers in faceoff percentage at 55.6, is a pending unrestricted free agent coming off a three-year deal worth an average of $1.7 million per that he signed following his 21-goal, 35-point 2010-11 season. He has three goals and seven assists this year.

“We talked a little bit early in the year [about an extension] but there’s been nothing for a while,†Boyle said. “I love it here, but I’m also realistic.

“There are a lot of guys here with bigger roles than I have. I don’t really know how I fit into their plans from a coaching or management perspective. But it doesn’t do any good to worry about it.â€

http://nypost.com/2014/01/17/underused-boyle-glad-for-chance-to-contribute/

Brooks talked to Boyle about his contract. The Rangers can't pay everyone.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Do you at any time envision that we couldn't move Strålman if we locked him up? If not, what is the downside by doing it?

He is 27 y/o. He will be 32 in 5 years. The cap is going up, its 80m in two years.

I agree for sure with this, but I think Strålman gets more value if we lock him up now. Teams are looking for RD's.

If we find a good puck-moving RD, we could trade a forward for that D and then deal Strålman for a decent young forward, prospect or pick. Trust me, Strålman will most likely walk if he doesn't get a long contract from us. Detroit will undoubtedly give him one, for example. 5 years 3m per, that could be a real bargain.

How many defense first D are needed? There won't be enough money to improve the team if you give every current player a raise. The Rangers will need an $80M cap to re-sign all of their current players.

$4.5M for Stralman? I think that's what you wrote.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This is the note from 30/30

December 17

15. The Rangers will struggle until Henrik Lundqvist gets back to his level, but another issue is the structure of their defence. It's more than just a new system. Look at what Vigneault had in Vancouver, where Canucks defencemen combined for 157 points in 2010-11 and 181 in 2011-12. Last year's 82-game pace would've translated into 147 points. The Blueshirts' blue-line is different, especially with Michael del Zotto struggling and Marc Staal's production way down. They're looking at 111 points from that position.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...ughts-western-conference-tougher-on-jets.html

Henrik is back to his level.

The Rangers have 69 points on D so far. Its a pro-rated 115 over 82 games.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm more lenient on the addition of Yakupov, since the Rangers are basically handicapped with Nash on the RW, Zuccarello who has been a top tier RWer this year as well as their loyal captain who also plays that position. That being said, I don't think you turn out the pedigree of that type of player and I think he'd be a welcoming addition here.

I still think if you can find a taker for the Nash contract, you've got to do it. Getting rid of that albatross contract will only bode well for the future.

Callahan has been a pretty average ES player, but his play elevates when he's with Stepan. He's also an elite PP producer, although he seems more redundant this year. The question is, do the Rangers pay for past pedigree and loyalty, while also holding out hope that he returns to his previous form on the PP?

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
This is the note from 30/30

December 17

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...ughts-western-conference-tougher-on-jets.html

Henrik is back to his level.

The Rangers have 69 points on D so far. Its a pro-rated 115 over 82 games.

This is part of the reason that I think the Rangers will make a move for a d-man with some offensive potential. With Anaheim looking at a cup run, maybe we could move Girardi or Staal for Vatanen+. I think Vatanen would thrive under AV, and it would be a way for us to rebuild on the fly while staying competitive.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This is part of the reason that I think the Rangers will make a move for a d-man with some offensive potential. With Anaheim looking at a cup run, maybe we could move Girardi or Staal for Vatanen+. I think Vatanen would thrive under AV, and it would be a way for us to rebuild on the fly while staying competitive.

I think they want to move dz for a young offensive rd. if teams doing well no main dman moves

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
I don't know anything about Murphy but sounds like he's got his value. Add Cam Ward to that. Have to say if that wasn't a joke proposal, Ola's credibility was hurt with that post.

I was going to mention something earlier but didn't bother. Carolina values Murphy as we valued McD after his first season (not first full season).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
RB- No problem, 4-5 years not millions.

If we keep everyone, we would definitely max out the cap each of the coming two years at least. Every move would have to be dollar for dollar. Its hard to argue that no moves should be made, nobody should be let go etc. You make a good point there.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't know anything about Murphy but sounds like he's got his value. Add Cam Ward to that. Have to say if that wasn't a joke proposal, Ola's credibility was hurt with that post.

Good that I don't care about my credibility then! ;)

Any trade proposal (ok almost) is silly. We make like a trade of some kind of significance per year. There are a zillion of options and we make like 10,000's proposals per year at a place like this. From the get go, its like posting your lottery numbers and someone replying "3, 14, 22, 45 ... will never be drawn!".

Anyway, if we now are to get back to our silly business, I actually didn't know that Murphy had moved into that untouchable group in Carolina. Faulk yes, but Murphy? He is playing around 19 minutes for them. 11 pts in 39 games. He has potential for sure, but he plays the same position as Faulk. And I mean, they are not getting Staal for free.

There was a lot of sillyness in that proposal, another is that I think Ward has the value as a mid-1st when we get him from Carolina, but a lot more value when we deal him to EDM.

No matter what, as a concept, the point I was trying to make was more a conceptual one. If Staal is made available, we might lure out the real grade A type of assets. Someone like Murphy.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I was going to mention something earlier but didn't bother. Carolina values Murphy as we valued McD after his first season (not first full season).

No they don't. He's not in the same stratosphere and their fans are well aware of it. He's a small offensively dynamic player who may top out as a middle pairing dman but is more likely a bottom pair + top PP dman. I'm 99% sure that virtually every poster whose mentioned Murphy in this thread has confused him with Faulk, who IS very comparable to McD and is valued as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad