Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
I think I recall reading from one of the ESPN/TSN guys that they said ROR is unlikely to be traded bc Roy/the front office love him. If they happen to lock up Stastny, any chance we get a repeat of the last time he was a RFA? I would love to see Richards amnestied and the savings thrown in an offer sheet. I realize that they'll likely try to lock him up before Stastny, but fun to hope/dream. Has there been any reports that he wants out of COL due to last offseason?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I think I recall reading from one of the ESPN/TSN guys that they said ROR is unlikely to be traded bc Roy/the front office love him. If they happen to lock up Stastny, any chance we get a repeat of the last time he was a RFA? I would love to see Richards amnestied and the savings thrown in an offer sheet. I realize that they'll likely try to lock him up before Stastny, but fun to hope/dream. Has there been any reports that he wants out of COL due to last offseason?

Doubtful ROR is moved and he definitely seems to like it there. New coach and management since last year anyway so no animosity. Loves his teammates, clearly though. Great young team with a tight bond. ROR would also cost a lot more in a trade than people think. Since the MDZ/ROR discussion first came about (we would have had to add even then, realistically) all that has happened is ROR has become much more proven and his stock has risen considerably while MDZ has virtually grown question marks all over the place and has his stock plummet. ROR at this point would easily cost Staal and a considerable +. Any team wanting him would have to overpay big. I think they will try to keep Stastny as well, but I think he has a 50% chance of hitting free agency.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
3 point game for stepan? Trade him while his value is high!!! :sarcasm:

Oh the stupidity some times. Good for Step, he is going to be a ranger for a long time.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Washington is out of a PO spot. Like 10-11th in the East. They are getting stabalized as an utterly avg organization. They have been to a Conference Finals once.

That's an org that gotta do something. I think they have had coaching issues for a long time, but they must consider roster changes too.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We are not without toughness, and its not something that we have missed lately. But that could change in a hurry. Especially if we start to do better. A little more toughness could help.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I still am on board with moving the players who they don't feel they will re-sign. Boyle, Pouliot, Moore, Girardi, Callahan, Stralman. Who do they want to re-sign?

If they re-sign Girardi, does that mean Stralman will hi UFA?

The organization is pretty high on Dorsett, as they should be. 4th liner who stirs the pot, PK's has some offense in him as well. Fights anyone and everyone. When he returns, move Boyle or Moore. Four 4th liners. Carcillo has been good in his role.

Can the Rangers get Callahan to take a good team first contract without overpaying? Of he won't come down, he has to be moved. You can't lose a player like Callahan without getting something for him.

Does AV feel Pouliot fits his system moving forward? He has been up and down. He has good chemistry with MZA and Brassard. Do they want to keep Brassard? If they feel he won't be here after this year look to move him for a pick. They signed him for nothing but money in the summer. The best way to keep contending is moving off pieces you have signed in UFA for nothing but money and back filling young pieces that way.

Interesting questions.

-Given that we are weak at RD already, I think we will need to acquire a bona fide top 4 RD to even consider moving Strålman. If Slats can get a hold on one of those, I could see it happening but not otherwise.

Strålman don't have impressive numbers, at all. Numbers matter when you negotiate contracts. Given his family situation, he wants a long term deal. Strålman has not made a lot of money in his career, he wants his living to be secured basically. He is only 27 y/o. I am not sold on Strålman being a long-term solution, but I would definitely look at locking him up long-term on a AAV-friendly deal. Would he take a 2.75-3m deal over 4 years? 2.5m per?

I just see very little risk with a deal like that. I just can't fantham that a team -- at worst -- will be able to unload a capable RD like Strålman during the coming years. I rather hang on to him and move him when we find a solution than to move him now and scramble to fill his ice-time.

-I think Poo right now is playing perfectly solid 2-way hockey for us. Winning a lot of battles for the puck. He makes good decisions without the puck. He is working real hard. Ie, I think he is contributing even when not scoring. And lately he has been scoring too at a decent rate. I don't see much point in replacing him or looking to upgrade him. Given that he has been on 5 teams lately, I doubt he feels a great need to hit UFA again and start over, if Slats can lock him up for 2 years or something around 2-2.5m he just seems like the BPA. Best option.

-We got a bit of a log-jam on the 4th line with Boyle / Dorsett / Carcillor / Moore. Boyle seem like a player that could garner Prust type of interest from a team or two that see him more as a 3rd lineer than 4th lineer. That could make it hard for us to match an offer.

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brooks has some Rangers trade thoughts

Question for Glen Sather: If speed on the flank — personified by Chris Kreider, Carl Hagelin and Mats Zuccarello — is emerging as one of the Rangers’ singular strengths, would the general manager dilute it in order to patch a size-and-strength weakness?

Kreider is as close to untouchable as anyone on the roster other than Rick Nash (no move), Ryan McDonagh and Henrik Lundqvist, and Zuccarello wouldn’t yield enough of a bounty in return, so as the trade deadline approaches, the query can more or less be distilled to this:

Would Sather deal Hagelin, 25 and with one more season on his contract at a $2.25 million cap hit leading into restricted free agency, for, say, Jets captain Andrew Ladd, 28 and with two more years on his deal at $4.4M cap hit leading into unrestricted free agency (and, it must be noted, a modified no-trade clause)?

Zuccarello will get a bounty in his next contract. Winnipeg will want much more than Hagelin.

If teams tend to pursue players who have played well against them, then keep an eye on the Blueshirts and Stars forward Ryan Garbutt, the 28-year-old rental property at $575,000 who has driven the Rangers crazy in their two games this season.

What does Nill want for him?

Again, regarding Dan Girardi: In a world where the Rangers have two reasonable choices that are, A) signing the first-pair right defenseman to a contract extension, or B) dealing him as a rental property to a contender such as the Bruins or Ducks for a package of blue-chip youngsters; the only undeniably wrong answer is, C) keeping Girardi only to have him walk for nothing in return as an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Things tend to move slowly around the Blueshirts, but there is one inevitable truth as applies to signing impending free agents in the NHL: The price today only becomes more expensive tomorrow.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/18/practice-makes-perfect-for-vigneaults-rangers/

Slowly? The scene in Full Metal Jacket on the obstacle course. Drill sergeant Hartman told Private Pyle

You climb obstacles like old people ****

That's the Rangers with Sather in charge. Slowly. The glaciers melt faster than it takes for the Rangers to make a move.

A or B

C is a disaster

If the players didn't rebel against Tortorella,he would still be the coach. Brooks had something on the Rangers PP in his column today. The power play. Larry is lucky Tortorella is out in VAN or he would go after him like he went after the Calgary coaching staff if he read that column. If Dallas wasn't chasing Vigneault,Sather would still be looking for a coach. It took him until December to re-sign Lundqvist who was playing the worst hockey of his career. Sam Rosen interviewed Lundqvist in the pre-game yesterday. He said there were certain factors for the slow start. None of them were mentioned. Everyone knows them. New system. Contract. Equipment change. Contract. Road trips to the west. Both of them. Contract.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I would absolutely deal Hagelin and a prospect for Ladd, though I may be in the minority.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Ladd is a tremendous player. So was Mike Keane. Can he be a tremendous player in NY?

Hags for Ladd straight up? Do it!
Hags and Zucc for Ladd? Passs
Hags and say a 2nd rounder for Ladd? Do it!

Ladd comes to NY what kind of effect would that have on Callys future? Cally could get a very good return. Signs are pointing to a new Girardi contract.

What kind of worth would Cally be to say a Vancouver club as a rental?

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Ladd is a tremendous player. So was Mike Keane. Can he be a tremendous player in NY?

Hags for Ladd straight up? Do it!
Hags and Zucc for Ladd? Passs
Hags and say a 2nd rounder for Ladd? Do it!

Ladd comes to NY what kind of effect would that have on Callys future? Cally could get a very good return. Signs are pointing to a new Girardi contract.

What kind of worth would Cally be to say a Vancouver club as a rental?

Rangers and Vancouver are bad trading partners, we have the same needs. I don't see a situation where they take Callahan and we get back something we need.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A few former Swedish NHLers with or without formal positions for NHL teams discussed Cally and Girardi during the game yesterday. They did not think we would let Girardi or Callahan go. Basically said that NY is problematic -- a ton of pressure, little continuity, the lure of the city -- and that NYR have looked so long for guys like Callahan and Girardi that can face that pressure and deliver, be professional and always come to the arena with the right attitude. They couldn't really see Slats letting Cally and G go. They talked about the cap, but basically concluded that there always are room for players and couldn't see a whole bunch of players on the roster that should be prioritized over them.

It's a view from the outside. I am not saying it's correct, but it does give some perspective.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
A few former Swedish NHLers with or without formal positions for NHL teams discussed Cally and Girardi during the game yesterday. They did not think we would let Girardi or Callahan go. Basically said that NY is problematic -- a ton of pressure, little continuity, the lure of the city -- and that NYR have looked so long for guys like Callahan and Girardi that can face that pressure and deliver, be professional and always come to the arena with the right attitude. They couldn't really see Slats letting Cally and G go. They talked about the cap, but basically concluded that there always are room for players and couldn't see a whole bunch of players on the roster that should be prioritized over them.

It's a view from the outside. I am not saying it's correct, but it does give some perspective.

Most "outside" views from other teams broadcast crews, other team's fans, and analysts/former NHL'ers say the Rangers would be nucking futs to not sign them.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I of course like Hagelin too, but I think he could be a good chip on the market too.

It's not unusual that a team lack "speed", and GMs react by getting a fast player. You can question that maybe, but Hags is de facto the fastest player in the game, young and cheap.

I don't think he is make or break for us, while he is important. If he could be dealt for someone that really makes sense, Hags could be used.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The fans who watch the team on a daily basis know more than the people who watch the team a couple times per season. When NBCSN does a Ranger game,it is a terrible broadcast because to them every player is great. Same thing when ESPN or FOX do a Yankee game. Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond do two Ranger games for the first time in a lifetime and they are the authority on the Rangers now.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If you could turn Hagelin and any pick which is not a first into Ladd you do it everyday of the week. Ladd is what? Three years older then Hags? Hagelin will get a nice raise to around what Ladd is getting now after next season. Ladd at $4.4 for two more years? Sure. Lock him up during the season when the contract expires.

Ladd would add another dimension to this teams offense.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
The fans who watch the team on a daily basis know more than the people who watch the team a couple times per season. When NBCSN does a Ranger game,it is a terrible broadcast because to them every player is great. Same thing when ESPN or FOX do a Yankee game. Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond do two Ranger games for the first time in a lifetime and they are the authority on the Rangers now.

Did they say something about a trade?

Buzzz, whirrr, bleep bleep, MALFUNCTION...

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
id trade for Byuf before Ladd.

i dont think Ladd solves a need of ours...Buff does...

Rangers need someone with a canon of a shot from the point. Richards plays the full PP now, id move him to 1 unit and stick Byuf on the other.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Ladd thing is Brooks just throwing out ideas.

The cap will be $71M next season. The Canadian dollar has dipped since that projection came out. A significant amount of revenue comes from the Canadian teams.

On this team,Callahan is a 3rd line winger. Callahan doesn't usually play on the PP. He was used yesterday on the 4 on 3. He is used on the PK. Kreider is and should be the net presence guy. The argument for paying Callahan is it doesn't look good to not sign Callahan.:shakehead

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I may be slightly biased and in the minority, but I wouldn't trade Hagelin for Ladd.

He is always among the leaders in ESP on our team and is also great away from the puck. He always finds a way to retrieve the puck when it's thrown in deep. His speed goes along well with Kreider's on the left side.

Ideally, he'd be a third line winger with PK time on this team, but he can be a top-6 forward. The one thing keeping him from a permanent top-6 position is consistency.

I don't think Ladd helps this team all that much. He doesn't add a dimension we are really lacking.

I agree with the poster that would rather go after Buff.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Byfuglien's best position is right wing. He is a terrible defenseman. Winnipeg put the player back on the wing where he played in Chicago. The problem is the player getting paid like an elite D when he is really a winger. Right wing is his best spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad