Salary Cap: Trade Thread # LXVI: Well..... Were waiting!?!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'd argue Poolman suits what we need more than Myers. I'd prefer Schenn, but if we get rid of Pettersson and retain Marino, I'm fine taking the Poolman hit.

I agree on Schenn, their is some positive value there for why, but Vancouver does probably too. Poolman is what's wrong. Bad contract for 3 more years and doesn't in the slightest upgrade that RS-D. You are still using Ruh there. That's just how bad Poolman is.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Idk I don't like having basically a $1 million cap penalty for 3 years after Poolman is gone.

The numbers in the short term are better, but you're facing a long term penalty for long after Poolman would be gone by buying him out like that.

But as you and others have pointed out, those 3 years post-Sid's current contract are whogivesashitsville, even if we don't have the prospect of the cap finally raising high enough that a missing million isn't worth sweating.

The idea here is we move out Pettersson and Kapanen for a potential RW with no commitment and a RHD that saves us money on Pettersson.

Poolman gets a trial run maybe this post season and next year and as you said. If he isn't working out buy him out after year 2.

I get the logic, I don't like it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I agree on Schenn, their is some positive value there for why, but Vancouver does probably too. Poolman is what's wrong. Bad contract for 3 more years and doesn't in the slightest upgrade that RS-D. You are still using Ruh there. That's just how bad Poolman is.

Poolman isn't that bad. He's a player analytics don't like. He can add some grit to the line-up and easily play even if you give him 12-15 minutes a night.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But as you and others have pointed out, those 3 years post-Sid's current contract are whogivesashitsville, even if we don't have the prospect of the cap finally raising high enough that a missing million isn't worth sweating.
Eh I'm just not sure the cap savings in the short term are big enough for me to be fine with the cap penalties for that long. Even if the years after year 3 are in "who gives a shit" territory, I'd rather not hurt myself in the long run for a pretty marginal benefit in the short term.

I think $1 million in cap saved is less good than $1 million in cap penalties is bad, if that makes sense.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm looking at the Poolman contract thread and it doesn't look like Winnipeg fans dug him.

And... I'm not being funny, but if he was an effective dman in a top 4 role in Winnipeg, how is him getting paid 2.5m a problem?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I don't really want Poolman. But hypothetically you are saving the team 1.5 million over the next three years by swapping him and Petts. Plus he's a RHD.

I think we can do much better with Petts for a player out/in scenario.

I understand the logic though if you are moving multiple pieces at once and I've always been in the opinion of Petts being a better move than Marino. Marino brings more to the table and still feel he has alot more untapped potential. If Petts had a mean bone in his body I might think otherwise but he's just a semi big body that doesn't use any of it

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm looking at the Poolman contract thread and it doesn't look like Winnipeg fans dug him.

And... I'm not being funny, but if he was an effective dman in a top 4 role in Winnipeg, how is him getting paid 2.5m a problem?
If he returns to a top-4 level ala Ceci and provides what Pettersson does at $2.5 vs $4.0, then it's not a problem. It's quite advantageous to us. My worry is that we have Rudwedel who's been just fine and we are starting to see an emerging Freidman who is making it tough on Sullivan to take him out. So I'm not necessarily convinced that brining in a potential $2.5mil #7 is the best use of cap space at the moment.

Petts+Kapanen for Boeser+Poolman does make a bit of sense. That really reminds me of the Kessel+Johnson for Zucker+Rask proposal a couple of years ago.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think we can do better.

Indeed. Maybe Poolman+2nd to Anaheim for Manson? THAT would be best case scenario for us..

Jake-Sid-Rust
Heinen-Malkin-Boeser
McGinn-Carter-ERod
ZAR-Bleuger-Boyle

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Freidman-Manson

That's a formidable lineup and sets us up well for the off season.

The only thing that could be throwing a wrench in this is Zucker's ETA on coming back. Double edge sword there. While the LTIRR space is a must, I'm not sure his first game back should be Game 1 of the playoffs.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still don’t get the fascination with Boeser. Don’t all you stats guys see that his performance over the past couple of seasons versus Kapanen’s makes the “upgrade” essentially negligible at a much higher cap hit? Plus him being a UFA and Kapanen being a RFA should make this an obvious no go. The current and future contract for Boeser is an even bigger albatross than Zucker’s.

If we‘re stuck dealing with GMJR, I’d try to work something out around Zucker and Derp for Miller and Hamonic. There would need to be some retention to even it out and maybe a 2nd or 3rd going with them, but that deal makes us a much better team now and next season.
Speaking from my point of view; I don't think Boeser's a sure thing. I just think he brings an attribute sorely lacking--a lethal shot--and he'll be relatively cheap compared to JT Miller's asking price, or someone like Forsberg. Miller's top-10 in the NHL scoring on a pretty mediocre or bad team, depending on which night you watch the Canucks. :laugh: Forsberg's on a Nashville team gunning for the playoffs, and if they fall out, he's their one movable piece on a team of bad Poile contracts.

I look as Boeser as more of a Hagelin-type addition. Not in terms of the two being similar players, but in terms of bringing in a guy who adds a needed skillset, and is potentially affordable (if the rumors are to be believed that prices are way lower than expected across the league, some guys even saying we might not see a 1st moved at all). He's not a sure thing, but a team in our cap/asset situation isn't in the market for sure things. /shrug

If we trade Marino a RD #4 needs to be coming somewhere.

Rather trade petts or dumo if we need to trade a D.

Especially with the fact Letang may not be here next year that RD would look... uhhh ye I don't want to think about.

Just get that scoring winger and make 2nd line great again.
If Letang isn't here next year, the state of the RD doesn't matter because he's a loss there's no recovering from. All the more reason to throw the kitchen sink at this season, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad