Salary Cap: Trade Thread # LXVI: Well..... Were waiting!?!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
And to help balance out value.

I seriously think value is off around these parts. Pettersson is a top 4 D-man who's now and again on the bottom pairing due to having three players deep depth wise, Matheson was the guy before, Poolman is a pretender/placeholder or any other way you could explain it. They all bring different attributes, but it doesn't change what Petts is.

Do people believe Poolman is a Dumo/Petts type?

He's certainly not a Matheson or Letang type offensive D-man.

They would certainly need a guy who can help rein in Friedman or balance him I should say.

Poolman is dealing with an upper body injury, not sure, but migraines?

I'm just not looking at him as a clear cut positive addition.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I seriously think value is off around these parts. Pettersson is a top 4 D-man who's now and again on the bottom pairing due to having three players deep depth wise, Matheson was the guy before, Poolman is a pretender/placeholder or any other way you could explain it. They all bring different attributes, but it doesn't change what Petts is.

They would certainly need a guy who can help rein in Friedman or balance him I should say.

Hes a 6/7 on a good team. Nothing more nothing less. Can give you solid bottom pair minutes or great replacement value. Problem is hes not paid for that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think you can get further with a less than optimal middle pairing than you can by giving Geno 3rd liners (or worse) who are already struggling mightily, while setting yourself up for the annual GCR no-show come playoff time since our coach absolutely refuses to change things.

I'm not sure there's a right answer. I'm just pretty confident going with essentially the same thing that we've bombed out of the 1st round for three years running probably isn't it.

-edit- I forget what the exact numbers were, but Kucherov alone had nearly as many points in their 1st round matchup last playoffs as something like 45% of our salary cap combined. It was something like Kucherov with 11pts and half our roster with a combined 14pts. :laugh: That's not gonna work. It didn't really matter that Jarry shit his pants in spectacular fashion.

Jarry did a big favor to guys who have routinely come up miserably short for the past several trips to the post season. He took all of the heat for a team with a whole lot of problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think you're right but the problem is that Benning left the Canucks in a horrendous cap position. It's probably not going to be possible to keep their entire young core due to the horrid contracts that Benning either signed or traded for.

I think signing Boeser would probably mean Horvat would leave after next year. If I were the Canucks, I'd probably rather trade Boeser and allocate that money to Horvat.

1. Wouldn't letting Miller walk open the cap?

2. Horvat might want to see some ambition like keeping Boeser to stick

3. The big one. Yeah, maybe. But they can always sign Boeser and trade him the summer of Horvat, and maybe something changes and they don't need to. Punting that choice down the way seems to have more positives than negatives.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kapanen and a 2nd would probably get it done.
I think that's too much for a 30yo UFA dman.

That's fair but no one is selling him as a Dumo or Petts type or replacement. It's the counter weight that offsets values with getting Boeser. I think the talk here is most "well...maybe it wouldn't be so bad?"
The only person talking about Tucker Poolman is @Gurglesons.

No media outlet has indicated that he's part of any conversation.
It's stemming from the main board trade proposal thread. Doesn't have to be in the rumors for it to be discussed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This may just be referencing Friedman's 32 thoughts, but this really isn't what Friedman said there so I'm not sure.

Also Dhaliwal allegedly said earlier today that they're trying to sign Boeser long term.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Obv acquisition costs are different but who do people prefer for the 21-22 Pens in a vacuum (no contract situations, no age factors, etc):

JT Miller or Boeser?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Makes sense that the FO wants some kind of an idea what JT Miller or Boeser's next deal would look like. They said they want to acquire guys with term, so even if the guy they land isn't technically signed, the idea is that we'd be bringing him back this summer. Also means Rust is basically 100% gone, or as close to it as you can get.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Obv acquisition costs are different but who do people prefer for the 21-22 Pens in a vacuum (no contract situations, no age factors, etc):

JT Miller or Boeser?
Miller. If for no other reason than because he's versatile enough to play all three forward positions. He's also top-10 in scoring at the moment on a pretty underwhelming team, so... :laugh:

Boeser's the guy everyone's talking about because of cost to acquire/age. Miller's the better player as of right now, and pretty easily.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Interesting to see speculation that the Penguins could like Garland instead. I feel like Garland would be a much more manageable target to pull off, he's someone you might be able to reasonably pull off for a package around POJ/Pettersson and Kapanen.

In his last 3 years, Garland has seasons with a pace of 47 points, 65 points and 48 points. He's signed long term at basically $5 million, so his contract is definitely workable. I think trading POJ/Pettersson and Kapanen for a 50 point Garland is more reasonable than trying to trade that for a 65 point Boeser having a down year.

Why would the Canucks move him? Not only is he not really living up to what the Canucks paid for him, but he's also a long term deal that JR didn't hand out that actually has value. If JR wants to change things up and wants to clear cap space for down the line, Garland makes a ton of sense to look at.

Reactions: Rave7215

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

JT Miller or Boeser?
Guentzel-Crosby
Miller-Malkin

Is a duo of duos you can ride til the big boys hang em up. Both have high hockey IQ and can score in different ways. Some concern about whether Miller can slide back to the wing, but honestly I don’t see much of an issue. He’s a smart player, and Malkin is injured 45% of the time.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
How is Garland’s game on the wall, and can he use his absurdly small size to win battles? Because if that’s not an issue I think he’s a better player than Boeser at ES on balance, and his contract is more than reasonable.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How is Garland’s game on the wall, and can he use his absurdly small size to win battles? Because if that’s not an issue I think he’s a better player than Boeser at ES on balance, and his contract is more than reasonable.

The dude is small as hell, so there's obviously limitations there, but he's feisty as absolute hell. Maybe like a Marchand-lite type of winger?

As far as I know, he's a fast and feisty goal scorer that's just super small. I'm watching some clips of him now, he wins board battles by being extremely agile in the corners and can spin away from contact because of it.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know much about Garland beyond "smaller player, pleasant surprise since being drafted". :laugh: I don't know if he's got the offensive pop we should be looking for just based on casual scouting reports/stat-scanning. But if guys like JT Miller, Boeser and Forsberg are out of our price range--and I think they probably are despite us being bored enough to talk endlessly about them--maybe Garland is a guy who falls between the cracks.

I don't know. We'll see what happens. Something should come to fruition here in the next few days if it's gonna happen at all. Word is GMs all around the league are real gun-shy about making moves. With that in mind, and the way our FO operates, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up not doing anything.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Why don’t we just give JR all his toys for all his best players.

Pettersson, Zucker, Kapanen, ZAR, Poulin for Miller, Garland, Motte

Jk.

But Garland might work really well with Malkin if he’s an effective forechecker. And it would be funny as hell to see Garland next to Geno who always looks even bigger than the 6’3 he is.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In terms of some physicality shown by Garland:

I think the Marchand comparison in terms of feistiness is fair. I think Garland would be an amazing fit with Crosby personally, I would love to see a Zucker-Crosby-Garland line.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't like Garlands size, and I'm generally question he helps anymore than Kapanen or E-rod would.

Like, I know what and where Boeser would help this team and this team needs that element pretty bad. Net guy, who also battles in corners/boardwork oh, and he scores a lot of goals. Garland just seems more of the same, bad team achieves, gets sent to a decent team, team underachieves, and he's doing his normal which is nothing to get REALLY excited about, but he's not bad at all to scoff at, either.

I'd rather have Boeser of the 3.

In order I'd go: Boeser, Garland and then Miller.

I'd only want Miller if Geno or Carter wasn't here.

Reactions: Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't like Garlands size, and I'm generally question he helps anymore than Kapanen or E-rod would.

Like, I know what and where Boeser would help this team and this team needs that element pretty bad. Net guy, who also battles in corners/boardwork oh, and he scores a lot of goals. Garland just seems more of the same, bad team achieves, gets sent to a decent team, team underachieves, and he's doing his normal which is nothing to get REALLY excited about, but he's not bad at all to scoff at, either.

The only way Garland is similar to the other wingers is that he's undersized and he's fast. He is way more feisty than any forward on this team and is a better goal scorer than every winger outside of Guentzel and Rust.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I kinda worry that Garland not shying away from the physicality and tough areas of the ice would work against him in the East. The refs let everything go in the playoffs and it allows nobody dusters like Martin and Mayfield to just absolutely tee off on guys like Jake--neutralizing their impact and all but completely taking them out of the game physically as well as mentally.

If you're a smaller guy, you gotta be good at finding the soft areas of the ice and taking advantage of your offensive talent in the playoffs, imo. It's too easy for guys to get worked over when the refs stop giving a shit about calling penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad