Salary Cap: Trade Thread # LXVI: Well..... Were waiting!?!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I watched Poolman play real minutes in Winnipeg and get cratered. I remember thinking to myself that Poolman would not even crack an good NHL teams roster as a 7 but he was playing as a number 4 in Winnipeg. Just not good at anything. Dead cap space as far as I’m concerned, last thing this team needs.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
What is VAN's cap status? Currently they are over the Cap with LTIR but have 4 guys on that list. Would a trade have to be equal cap in vs out?
To PIT: Garland ($4.95), *Chiasson ($.6)
To VAN: Marino ($4.4), Rodrigues ($1.0) *retain $150k on Chiasson
This would be equal cap wise. Throw a pick in to equal the value...
Kapanen and pick could be used to bring in Manson.

Guentzel Crosby Garland
Zucker Malkin Rust
McGinn Carter Heinen
Aston-Reese Blueger Chiasson
Boyle

Dumoulin Letang
Matheson Manson
Pettersson Ruhwedel
Friedman
That's a big yikes mate.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can you sign a RFA early to a contract that is obviously below the QO? Like if we want to do Boeser for Marino but we want a $6milx6yr deal for Boeser without having to worry about the $7mil QO, is that something we could negotiate (with permission) prior to a trade?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Can you sign a RFA early to a contract that is obviously below the QO? Like if we want to do Boeser for Marino but we want a $6milx6yr deal for Boeser without having to worry about the $7mil QO, is that something we could negotiate (with permission) prior to a trade?
Yes. This team signs players to less than their QO all the time.

The trick is persuading the player they want to do that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I know JFresh's chart says he sucks, but has anyone actually seen Poolman play and comment on why he sucks? His chart from McCurdy isn't horrible:

It's a bad contract of course, but $2.5 million for a blah bottom pair RD who kills penalties doesn't seem like the end of the world. I just don't know whether he is "blah", though.

he is taller Hunwick. Borderline NHL talent.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
he is taller Hunwick. Borderline NHL talent.

So basically he's a useful guy on a 1 year, $1 million deal, but not much more.

Not exactly someone who tickles my fancy, but having Poolman as an extra on RD, when Ruhwedel is currently your #3RD and you have no one beyond Poolman, sounds more useful than having Pettersson as an extra on LD, when you have both Friedman and POJ as LD.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
So basically he's a useful guy on a 1 year, $1 million deal, but not much more.

Not exactly someone who tickles my fancy, but having Poolman as an extra on RD, when Ruhwedel is currently your #3RD and you have no one beyond Poolman, sounds more useful than having Pettersson as an extra on LD, when you have both Friedman and POJ as LD.

Yeah, exactly.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't really want Poolman. But hypothetically you are saving the team 1.5 million over the next three years by swapping him and Petts. Plus he's a RHD.

Cap hit would only be a million if you just brought him out in the summer, which people are making sound like the best option...

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't really want Poolman. But hypothetically you are saving the team 1.5 million over the next three years by swapping him and Petts. Plus he's a RHD.
It would not surprise me to learn that something like this is why the two sides are struggling to match.

Vancouver might be trying to get the Penguins to take Poolman to help balance the cap and Hextall is probably like, "Nah, we're good."

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It would not surprise me to learn that something like this is why the two sides are struggling to match.

Vancouver might be trying to get the Penguins to take Poolman to help balance the cap and Hextall is probably like, "Nah, we're good."

I think Boeser's QO sounds like the biggest stumbling block here. I don't think having to take a fringe #6/7 making $2.5 million is as problematic as Boeser being lined up to get a 1 year, $7.5 million deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I think Boeser's QO sounds like the biggest stumbling block here. I don't think having to take a fringe #6/7 making $2.5 million is as problematic as Boeser being lined up to get a 1 year, $7.5 million deal.

Then you let Boeser walk or trade his rights if all he cost was Kapanen and Pettersson you're solving cap problems by getting him for a playoff run.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cap hit would only be a million if you just brought him out in the summer, which people are making sound like the best option...

I think this is just fans being unreasonable, tbh. You're better off keeping a $2.5 million depth D as an extra over buying him out and facing cap penalties for 6 years.

I think fans throw out the idea of buyouts too liberally.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hypothetically it would give you a guy behind Ruh to play in a "bigger series" then you reexamine in the off season and buy out if you need the cap.

If I trust Friedman enough to just bid adieu to Pettersson without getting in another LD ahead of him, I'd trust Friedman to switch sides and bring in POJ or Riikola over Poolman too, assuming he's as bad as everyone says.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If I trust Friedman enough to just bid adieu to Pettersson without getting in another LD ahead of him, I'd trust Friedman to switch sides and bring in POJ or Riikola over Poolman too, assuming he's as bad as everyone says.

Arizona (and others) need to make the cap-floor next season. Give them some incentive to take Poolman if/when he doesn't work out.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think this is just fans being unreasonable, tbh. You're better off keeping a $2.5 million depth D as an extra over buying him out and facing cap penalties for 6 years.

I think fans throw out the idea of buyouts too liberally.

How are we better off keeping a 2.5m dman when buying him out and replacing him with an 800k player gets us an extra 700k in Y1, 1.3m and Y2 and Y3, and who cares after that because if the jig isn't up after that we're high on miracles anyway (although it'd be an extra 800k iirc), and also quite possibly a better player according to a few evaluations?

Fans suggest buyouts a lot more often than they happen, but this seems a cut and dried case for pulling the trigger if we got him unless he magically turned around here. Wouldn't happen, but sounds like it should.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
How are we better off keeping a 2.5m dman when buying him out and replacing him with an 800k player gets us an extra 700k in Y1, 1.3m and Y2 and Y3, and who cares after that because if the jig isn't up after that we're high on miracles anyway (although it'd be an extra 800k iirc), and also quite possibly a better player according to a few evaluations?

Fans suggest buyouts a lot more often than they happen, but this seems a cut and dried case for pulling the trigger if we got him unless he magically turned around here. Wouldn't happen, but sounds like it should.

The idea here is we move out Pettersson and Kapanen for a potential RW with no commitment and a RHD that saves us money on Pettersson.

Poolman gets a trial run maybe this post season and next year and as you said. If he isn't working out buy him out after year 2.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Also, any dealings might have been about Kapanen and Petts for Boeser and say Myers, but there's no way Vancouver would be retaining on Myers 6.0 for 2 more years.

The Pens will not be degrading value for sake of cap. So I can see where it's a tricky point. We can throw out silly stuff to make it work, it's that they are not willing to sacrifice it just to make it work. And they shouldn't. That's how this team keeps losing value and tanking their roster and prospect pool.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Idk I don't like having basically a $1 million cap penalty for 3 years after Poolman is gone.

The numbers in the short term are better, but you're facing a long term penalty for long after Poolman would be gone by buying him out like that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Also, any dealings might have been about Kapanen and Petts for Boeser and say Myers, but there's no way Vancouver would be retaining on Myers 6.0 for 2 more years.

The Pens will not be degrading value for sake of cap. So I can see where it's a tricky point. We can throw out silly stuff to make it work, it's that they are not willing to sacrifice it just to make it work. And they shouldn't. That's how this team keeps losing value and tanking their roster and prospect pool.

I'd argue Poolman suits what we need more than Myers. I'd prefer Schenn, but if we get rid of Pettersson and retain Marino, I'm fine taking the Poolman hit.

Reactions: SEALBound
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad