Speculation: Trade Speculation Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The fact that Larsson makes at least one or two noticeable mistakes a game isn't what bothers me (that's fixable at this point still), it's the fact he doesn't seem to have much speed or ability to get a shot through traffic. He got blown by on an empty-netter a while back that was alarming, and still gets beaten to the outside here and there. And people want him to play the PP, but every time I see him take a shot from the point towards the net it gets blocked and usually goes the other way on a breakout. Unless he misses the net intentionally trying to get a deflection.
thats just simply not true. it happens from time to time(to everyone), but the majority of his shots are deflected on or near the net and create scoring opportunities. i think he needs to shoot more though.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
thats just simply not true. it happens from time to time(to everyone), but the majority of his shots are deflected on or near the net and create scoring opportunities. i think he needs to shoot more though.

Larsson can't shoot more, he's barely able to decide in time to shoot as much as he does now, and he still has a tendency to get too many shots blocked up high, which is a big no no.

Larsson being on the PP doesn't seem to make sense right now due to his long decision making time and his lack of agility. His vision is fine for the PP, but that's really the only positive attribute he would bring, while bringing 2 negatives. The long decision making process also prevents him from unleashing a big shot, so it kind of becomes 3 negatives.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
larsson will end up being the player we hope, but he does have some issues atm. his slapshot is non existent. however, he has a perfect deflection shot hes getting better and better at which does make up for it. he still could use pp time AND a better slapshot, but that will come. his skating confuses me. its not that hes slow, but maybe because hes bigger he seems somewhat sloppy when hes in a hurry. i know im tall and skated much differently yet was still fast. maybe im just seeing things. also, his confidence seems to be either very low, or theyre telling him to always make the safe play and hes afraid to either disobey or to **** up and end up scratched. hes had so many chances to rush into the zone and make a play or trail the players entering the zone and be the drop pass receiver for a one timer or screenable wrist shot. only to dump it in with the safe play and return to his zone or to the bench for a shift. i really wish nieds or fetisov was mentoring him. but im content with stevens and to give him both time and the benefit of the doubt. im not worried about him, im just anxious to see him be the player we all know he has the ability to be. hell get there. just look at hedman. took him a couple years to find his groove.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Larsson can't shoot more, he's barely able to decide in time to shoot as much as he does now, and he still has a tendency to get too many shots blocked up high, which is a big no no.

Larsson being on the PP doesn't seem to make sense right now due to his long decision making time and his lack of agility. His vision is fine for the PP, but that's really the only positive attribute he would bring, while bringing 2 negatives. The long decision making process also prevents him from unleashing a big shot, so it kind of becomes 3 negatives.

the pp is a bad example because its such a ****ing disastrous mess and they refuse to alter it. if kovy was at the dot, and either larsson or zids was behind him at the point, it would be a much different pp. also have greene or tally on the other side. i give up tho because deebo is both too stupid and stubborn to change it. no matter what they say, or who they bring in to change the pp, its always going to be the "we have to get it to kovy" show for a full 2 mins. every team knows it.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
the pp is a bad example because its such a ****ing disastrous mess and they refuse to alter it. if kovy was at the dot, and either larsson or zids was behind him at the point, it would be a much different pp. also have greene or tally on the other side. i give up tho because deebo is both too stupid and stubborn to change it. no matter what they say, or who they bring in to change the pp, its always going to be the "we have to get it to kovy" show for a full 2 mins. every team knows it.

I don't entirely agree. I think if they bring in someone with a big shot from the blue line that may change. I don't mean an offensive minded guy, but they already can pull that off with Zidlicky back there (and clearly that hasn't changed anything). I think it all goes through Kovy because he's probably the best passer and the best shot back there (and by a large margin on the latter). If they had another legitimate point shot back there, I think they would change it a bit. It would still revolve around the point shot probably, but it can change the dynamic a bit so its not only the kovy show to shoot.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
larsson will end up being the player we hope, but he does have some issues atm. his slapshot is non existent. however, he has a perfect deflection shot hes getting better and better at which does make up for it. he still could use pp time AND a better slapshot, but that will come. his skating confuses me. its not that hes slow, but maybe because hes bigger he seems somewhat sloppy when hes in a hurry. i know im tall and skated much differently yet was still fast. maybe im just seeing things. also, his confidence seems to be either very low, or theyre telling him to always make the safe play and hes afraid to either disobey or to **** up and end up scratched. hes had so many chances to rush into the zone and make a play or trail the players entering the zone and be the drop pass receiver for a one timer or screenable wrist shot. only to dump it in with the safe play and return to his zone or to the bench for a shift. i really wish nieds or fetisov was mentoring him. but im content with stevens and to give him both time and the benefit of the doubt. im not worried about him, im just anxious to see him be the player we all know he has the ability to be. hell get there. just look at hedman. took him a couple years to find his groove.
The fact he doesn`t use it doesn`t mean he forgot how to use it.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Seems pretty clear to me that the message to Larsson from the coaching staff was was something like, "we know you've got a ton of offensive potential be untapped, but there are several parts of your defensive game that need to be worked on. Get that solid and then we can start unleashing the rest of what you've got to offer. " :dunno:

Probably a good reason why he's showing hesitation in the offensive zone and why he often looks for the soft shot for a forward to deflect rather than going bombs away on net for the rebound.

Could be wrong, though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
One time in the Flyers game Larsson was cranked up for a slapshot in the offensive zone, I was shocked...only Henrique never laid it up to him and went in and scored himself :laugh:

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
Seems pretty clear to me that the message to Larsson from the coaching staff was was something like, "we know you've got a ton of offensive potential be untapped, but there are several parts of your defensive game that need to be worked on. Get that solid and then we can start unleashing the rest of what you've got to offer. " :dunno:

Probably a good reason why he's showing hesitation in the offensive zone and why he often looks for the soft shot for a forward to deflect rather than going bombs away on net for the rebound.

Could be wrong, though.

I follow you, I'm sure it's holding him back a little bit, but this right now is pretty bad. If they want to develop him put him in Albany!

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey

Could be wrong, though.

Knowing this franchise, that wouldn't surprise me. And honestly, I'm ok with that if that's the case. We're not exactly used to our defensemen putting up loads of points (at least in recent years). But he will be sitting pretty quick if he's screwing up too much defensively. Let him get that down, stay in the lineup, and then get him more involved offensively over time. He's only 20 after all. I'm not concerned that he's not putting up 40+ points right now.

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
Knowing this franchise, that wouldn't surprise me. And honestly, I'm ok with that if that's the case. We're not exactly used to our defensemen putting up loads of points (at least in recent years). But he will be sitting pretty quick if he's screwing up too much defensively. Let him get that down, stay in the lineup, and then get him more involved offensively over time. He's only 20 after all. I'm not concerned that he's not putting up 40+ points right now.

true, but if he's holing back a whole lot and he feels like he's not being allowed to play freely he will leave this team.

apice3*

Any chance Kopecky would be available?

i'm not good at making jokes on here. there was a stretch on here where every person we mention for trade gets injured lol Weiss then Versteeg and some other people I think as well

Rick Nash elbowed Kopecky in the head with 6 minutes left tonight. He didn't play after that, but was on the bench.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
So John Shannon of Sportsnet said that David Clarkson could possibly be available.

Is there any truth to this or is he purely speculating? Has there been anything mentioned about Clarkson being moved at all other than that?

apice3*

So John Shannon of Sportsnet said that David Clarkson could possibly be available.

Is there any truth to this or is he purely speculating? Has there been anything mentioned about Clarkson being moved at all other than that?

It's bogus. You will not hear a single true word about a Devils player being available until minutes before a trade is confirmed. The organization has no leaks, which is bizarre in today's day and age.

Plus we're in a playoff spot and slim at forward to begin with. Makes no sense to trade him, and both sides seem to want to work out a deal in the offseason.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

If I had to guess it's probably just an assumption since he's a UFA, and the Devils are more of a bubble team than an almost certain playoff team. Which really only 4 teams in the conference are (Pitt, Boston, Montreal, Ottawa) and then there's only 2 teams in the conference who are really out of it (Florida, Buffalo, and then TB and Washington are just about done)

Nat

Aug 14, 2011
Rick Nash elbowed Kopecky in the head with 6 minutes left tonight. He didn't play after that, but was on the bench.
He scored empty netter after that :) Rags also had PP and 50+ sec to comeback. Killed all their hopes tonight :handclap:

We really should pick him :sarcasm:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

We've heard this one before. Ask Nick Kypreos what happened when he said that Clarkson requested a trade. The Devils' beat writers asked Clarkson himself about it, who said (completely unprompted) that he wants to be a career Devil and that he had never met Kypreos and didn't know where he came up with that rumour.

To start with, nobody knows Lou's plans. And second, Clarkson doesn't want to be traded. He might leave in the summer for money, but he's happy where he is right now. It doesn't pass the sniff test.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The questioning of Larsson is interesting to me. He is the way he is because of Deboer. They've restrained this kids game for the lack of a better word his entire, albeit still young, career. His offensive game is still there. You can see little glimpses of it if you really watch him. The poise, the mental aspect, his ability to make simple plays. Once they let him go and have a bit more responsibility, he'll be what we think he is.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
larsson will end up being the player we hope, but he does have some issues atm.

couldnt agree more, but this is what concerns me about matteau. lets face it, larsson was a bit rushed due to a not-so-good defensive squad. same with matts. the skill is there for both players, but i see some potentially unfortunate coincidences between the development of those 2 players. still way too early to tell though.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
It's bogus. You will not hear a single true word about a Devils player being available until minutes before a trade is confirmed. The organization has no leaks, which is bizarre in today's day and age.

Plus we're in a playoff spot and slim at forward to begin with. Makes no sense to trade him, and both sides seem to want to work out a deal in the offseason.

Do people still really believe this? Even after the Kovalchuk and Zidlicky trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad