Speculation: Trade Speculation Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I'd do it without hesitation. People will complain about his contract, but do they realize we'd be getting rid of an equally bad if not worse one? Money is money. I don't think they'd do it but I'd need a new pair of pants if they did.

Volchenkov is due the same amount of cash as Cammalleri, but on a longer term. The difference between both players is that one of them can actually help us when he's on the ice while the other one is actually hurting us when he's on the ice.

Tedenby and a pick would be a throw in to compensate the fact that Volch is just brutal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
how is having expendable assets bad asset management? Until the trade deadline passes, were in the drivers seat in terms of asset management. Lot of flexibility and room for improvement.

That doesn't help the Devils win games in the meantime. And we certainly will not be in the driver's seat if we're a bubble team looking to make moves as opposed to a top team making tweaks.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

That doesn't help the Devils win games in the meantime. And we certainly will not be in the driver's seat if we're a bubble team looking to make moves as opposed to a top team making tweaks.

I don't know how we can be in the "driver's seat" when taking a look at what we have to offer? If we're talking about landing mid round picks, then yes, we're in the driver's seat but if we are expecting our healthy scratches to bring us some type of positive return, I think we'll be in for a huge dissapointment.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I wonder if any other GM would have had the guts to pick RoR off the waiver wire. I mean, that's a thing that would cause a major schism in a clique of GMs...

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Both of those GMs look like fools after all of this if you ask me.

RG covered why the Avs organization looks cheap and silly and everyone already laughs at Calgary.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I wonder if any other GM would have had the guts to pick RoR off the waiver wire. I mean, that's a thing that would cause a major schism in a clique of GMs...

Landing a top 6 forward, a very solid top 6 forward, for nothing? I think there's about 29 Gm's who would've jumped on the chance of adding RoR via the waiver wire.

There's no muligan in this business and there's no excuse that should be made if someone screws up except Feaster himself for not double checking the "laws" of the new CBA.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This 8 defensemen thing needs to be axed sooner than later. It's about as annoying as Pittsburgh's goaltending controversy I'm sure.

DevilChuk*

Kinda confused why everyone on HF is bashing Feaster for a stupid move by improving the Avalanche this year..

I see it as he just forced the Avs to take him on a bad deal that prohibits them from trading him. The Avs now have a toxic locker room and the Flames stopped them from trading RoR for a ton of assets..

Smart move IMO by Feaster..

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Landing a top 6 forward, a very solid top 6 forward, for nothing? I think there's about 29 Gm's who would've jumped on the chance of adding RoR via the waiver wire.

There's no muligan in this business and there's no excuse that should be made if someone screws up except Feaster himself for not double checking the "laws" of the new CBA.

I think you're flat out wrong. If this was the case, EVERY single RFA would get an offer sheet.

The GM's of this league are still an old boys club. No question about that.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I think you're flat out wrong. If this was the case, EVERY single RFA would get an offer sheet.

Kevin-Lowe.jpg

"What do you mean he's still in a meeting. I've called 21 times in the last 3 days and he'd always in a meeting."

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

There's a difference between losing assets over a offer sheet and just picking up someone via the waiver wire for free.

You're telling me that not one single Gm would've claimed RoR off waiver, just to give Feaster and the Flames a break? This is a business, there's no friends to be made here and if the Flames are pissed about the situation, they should look in the mirror first and foremost and blame the person who didn't cover all the facts before throwing out picks for nothing.

What's the worst thing that could've happend? The Flames would be pissed at "team X" for claiming RoR, making future trades much harder to do with a organisation that isn't going anywhere anytime soon?

I'd take that "downfall" 10 times out of 10 if it ment landing RoR for free, that much I can tell you.

apice3*

theres a difference between bad asset management and bad spending. Holding onto 8 dmen at the deadline would be bad asset management. Having expendable players ready to be traded is just the opposite.

And theyre value may be hurt right now, but itll rise at the deadline. No one wanted kaberle a couple years ago. Didnt he fetch something ridiculous at the deadline?

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
There's a difference between losing assets over a offer sheet and just picking up someone via the waiver wire for free.

You're telling me that not one single Gm would've claimed RoR off waiver, just to give Feaster and the Flames a break? This is a business, there's no friends to be made here and if the Flames are pissed about the situation, they should look in the mirror first and foremost and blame the person who didn't cover all the facts before throwing out picks for nothing.

What's the worst thing that could've happend? The Flames would be pissed at "team X" for claiming RoR, making future trades much harder to do with a organisation that isn't going anywhere anytime soon?

I'd take that "downfall" 10 times out of 10 if it ment landing RoR for free, that much I can tell you.

And when a GM wants a certain item voted on by the BoG, you don't want to the team that was a complete *******.

Corporate politics are pretty serious business dude. You just don't get my point. You're bordering on hostility, without even a willingness to see my point of view.

I can say with near certainty that Lou wouldn't have put in a claim for RoR. And he'll ALWAYS make the team better.

Edit: It's not being able to acquire RoR for "free" if there's an intangible asset being moved - you're negotiating ability and respectability at the table of GMs. These guys are serious politicians.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

theres a difference between bad asset management and bad spending. Holding onto 8 dmen at the deadline would be bad asset management. Having expendable players ready to be traded is just the opposite.

And theyre value may be hurt right now, but itll rise at the deadline. No one wanted kaberle a couple years ago. Didnt he fetch something ridiculous at the deadline?

Kaberle was actually producing when he got moved from the Leafs. As of today, Kaberle is worth as much as Tallinder, wich is basically nothing cause both players are healthy scratches more often then not, they both have huge contracts that aren't ending before next summer.

The assets we have are pretty mediocre IMO and if someone is willing to give us something solid, they're bound to lose their job in the next couple of hours after the move got approved by the NHL.

apice3*

ROR would have been claimed 100%. Its just a strange situation with the lockout and his holdout overlapping.

The reason teams dont offer sheet is because you basically do the negotiating for your opponent, and in this case, Calgary helped a team they're fighting for a playoff spot sign a top 6 player.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

And when a GM wants a certain item voted on by the BoG, you don't want to the team that was a complete *******.

Corporate politics are pretty serious business dude. You just don't get my point. You're bordering on hostility, without even a willingness to see my point of view.

I can say with near certainty that Lou wouldn't have put in a claim for RoR. And he'll ALWAYS make the team better.

A Gm is there to make his team better, period. The normal time line for a average Gm is what, 4 or 5 years tops? I doubt Feaster, Sherman or whoever is throwing offer sheets is thinking about what will be said in the future BoG meetings but I might be wrong.

I'm 200% convinced that someone would've picked him up via the waiver wire.

apice3*

Kaberle was actually producing when he got moved from the Leafs. As of today, Kaberle is worth as much as Tallinder, wich is basically nothing cause both players are healthy scratches more often then not, they both have huge contracts that aren't ending before next summer.

The assets we have are pretty mediocre IMO and if someone is willing to give us something solid, they're bound to lose their job in the next couple of hours after the move got approved by the NHL.

zidlicky was a healthy scratch last year and we gave up 2 players and a couple picks for him.

If a team like tampa or carolina needs one dman to make a playoff push, they will give up SOMETHING for a dman.

apice3*

if colorado didnt match, could they have claimed ROR off waivers? Would have been a **** storm

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
A Gm is there to make his team better, period. The normal time line for a average Gm is what, 4 or 5 years tops? I doubt Feaster, Sherman or whoever is throwing offer sheets is thinking about what will be said in the future BoG meetings but I might be wrong.

I'm 200% convinced that someone would've picked him up via the waiver wire.

I'm about 50% sure he would have been claimed, but I really think you're completely, totally missing my point.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

zidlicky was a healthy scratch last year and we gave up 2 players and a couple picks for him.

If a team like tampa or carolina needs one dman to make a playoff push, they will give up SOMETHING for a dman.

Exactly my point... "something" for Tallinder will turn out to be a career AHL'er and a 5th round pick, at most.

What good does that do to our current team? That's not exactly the type of asset management I was looking for when you said that we could get something around the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad