Speculation: Trade Speculation Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Lou cares about veteran physical presence, and a lot of those penalties won;t be called come playoff time.

Still doesn't address the conage

You guys don't wanna hear this and I really don't wanna think about this, but it could be a reality. It could come down to having to trade Fayne if we wanna get anything good. Fayne probably has more value than Tallinder anyway. He's younger, and is a on a much better contract. In fact he's on a very good contract. Tallinder is on a not very good contract that has another year remaining. Fayne is on a bargain contract that has another year remaining. I'd be open to doing it if it were another younger player that has another year left on their contract after this.

Sometimes you gotta compromise. Hopefully I'm wrong but having seen a lot of trades go down that I never expected, I've seen some shockers. I hope we can get something without the use of Fayne. I'm really adamant about trading away a couple prospect defensemen. Not Merrill or Gelinas though, but take Urbom and Burlon if you want.

Trading Fayne only creates a larger hole on defense.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Trading Fayne only creates a larger hole on defense.

You're right it does. Don't be surprised though if that's who someone wants when we go to try and make a trade for a forward. Personally I don't consider Fayne untouchable, but for the right return I could get comfortable.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
If we trade Fayne then we have become sellers. Trading him officially makes our defense unpresentable come May unless Urbom/Gelinas/etc gets called up and pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we trade Fayne then we have become sellers. Trading him officially makes our defense unpresentable come May unless Urbom/Gelinas/etc gets called up and pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

Look all I'm saying is Tallinder probably ain't gonna get it done. Maybe we can package Urbom, and others in there and get something decent. We aren't getting a decent forward for Tallinder I don't think.

I've seen many trades I never expected to see. In 2 weeks it will be 11 years since we traded Arnott, and McKay, and a first for Nieuwendyk, and Lagenbrunner. We made out much better in that trade than Dallas. If you told me 3 weeks earlier that Arnott was going I would have said we were sellers too. Arnott was part of the only consistent scoring line we had that whole season.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
The defense is more concerning that the offense at this point. Trading Fayne does nothing unless it's an Iginla can't say no to type deal.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The defense is more concerning that the offense at this point. Trading Fayne does nothing unless it's an Iginla can't say no to type deal.
Well trading Fayne for me I'd rather get something better than Iginla. I was thinking a non rental that has a couple years left before their deal expires.

Personally I don't wanna trade Fayne. In the last week I've become very disillusioned with this team. My expectations are very low this year. Just make the playoffs is what I'm aiming for. Next year re sign Clarkson, Patty, Zubrus, and Poni all to decent contracts. Give Henrique, and Loktionov decent raises. And look for help up front on the UFA market cause what we have now isn't cutting it. I fear we need some help or we could be missing out on a pretty good first round pick next year. If Clarkson walks none of this crap like with Parise. Replacing him with Tedenby for the 4th try or Matteau. Or thinking Josefson will replace him like Tedenby was supposed to replace Parise this year. We need some help on the UFA market.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Volchenkov for Ryan Murphy. DATW's head asplodes.

Ryan Murphy, who played over 25 minutes as a emergency call up from Kitchener, would be fantastic.

Unfortunatly for us, Volchenkov suck's ass and his contract is bordeline "Redden'esq", so we'd be getting a autograph jersey from Ryan Murphy and that's about it.

Volch isn't going anywhere. He's the only veteran physical presence we have on the back line. Same reason Zidlicky isn't getting moved. Tallinder is most likely the odd man out (unless someone makes an offer Lou can't refuse for Fayne or Greene).

...And the idea that Tallinder will only bring back a 5th is comical. Devils fans can really be like Eeyores sometimes.

I don't know why anyone would give us more then a 5th for a player with a pretty solid salary who can't crack our current blueline.

Veteran physical presence? The ratio of Anton getting beat by a forward Vs Anton laying the body is GIGANTIC. When was the last time you saw him throw a big hit cause I don't remember but I can certainly tell you when was the last time he took a bonehead penalty cause he can't keep up or the time he got beat silly by a opposing forward.

Veteran physical presence... yeah :laugh:

Who cares about veteran physical presence when he gets a penalty and coned every game? It's clockwork

Amen :handclap:

Lou cares about veteran physical presence, and a lot of those penalties won;t be called come playoff time.

Interference is interfence and they'll call it each and every time. What Volchenkov does has nothing to do with being physical and everything to do with being too slow to keep with the pace of about 75% of the forwards at the NHL level

Oroku Saki*

Volch does not get coned every game and he really doesn't take that many penalties. The level of hatred around here is reaching Mottau levels. He's a plus player. Lets not act like he's -20 and falling apart.

apice3*

you guys need to look at previous years rental dmen and tell me tallinder isnt wanted anywhere. Havelid, Skoula anyone?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Volch does not get coned every game and he really doesn't take that many penalties. The level of hatred around here is reaching Mottau levels. He's a plus player. Lets not act like he's -20 and falling apart.

Volchenkov get's beat every game by at least a handfull of players, there's no way you'll convince me otherwise, since I see it on live TV every freaking game and for the first time in about 3 years, there's actually more posters who are witnessing the exact same thing I've been preaching for the past 36 months.

The guy blows and if he wasn't a relative of yours, so it seems, you'd say the same thing. If you get healthy scratched, especially as a veteran, you aren't doing something right and for someone who earns the paycheck he does, being healthy scratched isn't a sign that he's a "must" in our system.

The same thing can't be said about Fayne, cause he ain't no veteran but the same can be said about Hank.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

you guys need to look at previous years rental dmen and tell me tallinder isnt wanted anywhere. Havelid, Skoula anyone?

Maybe not a 5th but a 3rd would be his ceilling IMO.

Oroku Saki*

Volchenkov get's beat every game by at least a handfull of players, there's no way you'll convince me otherwise, since I see it on live TV every freaking game and for the first time in about 3 years, there's actually more posters who are witnessing the exact same thing I've been preaching for the past 36 months.

The guy blows and if he wasn't a relative of yours, so it seems, you'd say the same thing. If you get healthy scratched, especially as a veteran, you aren't doing something right and for someone who earns the paycheck he does, being healthy scratched isn't a sign that he's a "must" in our system.

The same thing can't be said about Fayne, cause he ain't no veteran but the same can be said about Hank.

I see a player who gets torn apart when most of the time he doesn't deserve too. Everyone makes mistakes but his are magnified by the group of people with pitchforks. Some of the same geniuses that claim Mark Fayne sucks. I get it, he makes a lot of dough and I understand the criticism but much of it is just people looking for someone to point a finger at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Trading Fayne is downright silly. A solid middle pairing defender, on a great contract.

If he get's moved it's part of a package for a franchise blueliner. And those kind of blockbusters might not happen in a short season.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
You're right it does. Don't be surprised though if that's who someone wants when we go to try and make a trade for a forward. Personally I don't consider Fayne untouchable, but for the right return I could get comfortable.

There are very few "right returns" for Fayne. He's got much more value to us than he does to most teams. Guys like that don't get traded.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There are very few "right returns" for Fayne. He's got much more value to us than he does to most teams. Guys like that don't get traded.

Yup, and guys like Arnott and Sykora don't either.

I'm not saying I want him traded, but I'm speaking off of experience here and guys I've seen get traded. You act like I'm pulling this out of a hat randomly.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Arnott and Sykora were not in the same situation. They were core players here, but after the Cup win with them as two-thirds of the A-line, their status around the league (and thus their trade value) went up to be higher than their value to the Devils. Lou knew that, and sold high on both of them.

By contrast, Fayne is our well kept secret. Most fans of other teams haven't heard of him, or if they have, they don't recognise his true value. Consider the example of Larsson sitting early in the season and fans of other teams coming to the board asking why a "scrub like Fayne" was in over the wunderkind. We all thought calling Fayne a scrub was a ridiculous statement, but I think it really does give a picture of how people around the league think of him. He has more value to the Devils than he does to other teams. Unless there is a character issue, guys like that don't get traded.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It would be a bit irresponsible to trade Fayne when literally everyone else in the starting lineup other than Larsson is 30+. I mean, if you're getting a proven young scoring forward for him then it's at least worth discussing but other than that, forget it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Most rental defensemen are on the last year of their contracts. Zidlicky wasn't, but he was a PMD and they have more value than non-physical stay-at-home defensemen. Plus you have to factor in the cap plummeting next year and the majority of teams wanting/needing to cut budget. Tallinder's $3.5 million might be an albatross for a lot of teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad