Speculation: Trade Speculation Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the problem here is that you are giving sentimental value too much weight in this trade. If giving up that much could get Gionta, you could probably get a better player, or someone with a much more friendly cap hit for the same package.

You probably can for sure. Lou seems to love these former Devils deals though so I'm keeping him in mind on that. We probably could have gotten better UFA options in 08 rather than Rolston, and Holik too!:laugh:

Besides who else were you thinking for that who has more than a year left? Hemsky? He's good, but I call him Alex Glasky cause he's made of glass it seems. Havlat? He's got two years left after this one.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
You probably can for sure. Lou seems to love these former Devils deals though so I'm keeping him in mind on that. We probably could have gotten better UFA options in 08 rather than Rolston, and Holik too!:laugh:

Lou likes to bring back former Devils, but Lou has never been one to overpay purely for one of those sentimental cases. Rolston is a bad exception because I really think Lou didn't fully understand the cap and the ramifications of spending on contracts like he did in that case.

kiwidevil

If Rolston didn't screw his ankle just a few games into that contract it could all have been a lot different.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Really don't think the Habs trade their captain as long as they've number 1 in the conference. Would make absolutely no sense.

No, the time for that passed unfortunately. I thought it could have been a possibility in the short offseason - and a viable short-term solution - but not now. Especially with the Habs' defense looking better than expected and Subban being back.

It might still happen next offseason but I think the Habs would have to fall apart down the stretch or Gio would have to get hurt again (in which case do we really want him anyway?).

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Rolston didn't screw his ankle just a few games into that contract it could all have been a lot different.

I don't think so. I hated that contract from the beginning. You know when he impressed me most in his second tenure with the Devils? On that run with Lemaire in the second half of 10/11. I remember when he had a nice streak early in 09/10. He was on pace for 30+ goals at one point, but finished with just 20.

Lou likes to bring back former Devils, but Lou has never been one to overpay purely for one of those sentimental cases. Rolston is a bad exception because I really think Lou didn't fully understand the cap and the ramifications of spending on contracts like he did in that case.
Tallinder is overpaying? I know this is a fairy tale trade, but Tallinder and Urbom would be overpayment?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Tough to say. I don't think he was ever going to hit 30 goals during that contract, injuries or not. He was already over the hill.

kiwidevil

34, 31 and 31 goals. Then falls off the face of the earth with us.

Not even well . . . . Lou could have predicted that. I fell his injury was a big problem. Especially a high ankle sprain for an older guy.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Rolston aged about 10 years from the time he left Minnesota to the time he came back to Jersey. I don't remember what other UFA forwards there were that Summer though. Sutter came out, and said Lou asked him personally what will help the team. He told Lou that Rolston would. Then there were the well documented problems with Rolston and Sutter. Rolston said Sutter didn't give him a chance once he came back from injury, and that Sutter was the worst coach he ever played for. He was very excited when Jacques came back.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I don't think so. I hated that contract from the beginning. You know when he impressed me most in his second tenure with the Devils? On that run with Lemaire in the second half of 10/11. I remember when he had a nice streak early in 09/10. He was on pace for 30+ goals at one point, but finished with just 20.

Tallinder is overpaying? I know this is a fairy tale trade, but Tallinder and Urbom would be overpayment?

When did I say if that package was under paying, over paying, or anywhere in between? I said IF that package could get Gionta, Lou would be able to get a better player or a more cap friendly hit for that same package.

I said Lou won't overpay for a sentimental pick in relation to what it costs to get a player to whom he does not have a sentimental tie. My 2nd post relates back to what I said in my first one. You are grasping and hoping I was commenting on your assessment of Gionta's value. Don't draw connections to my statements that don't exist, and twist what I say to support your argument. Inferring doesn't work out when there's nothing there.

If you would like me to, then I gladly will. If you think Tallinder, who has done little to impress anyone so far, and a defenseman who has yet to get a notable enough shot in the NHL is enough to convince Montreal to trade away their captain while they are among the best teams in the conference, then I would say don't quit your day job in hopes of getting a front office job in the NHL down the line. Throw in Zubrus like you potentially stated, and Montreal still hangs up the phone on you without responding.

Tough to say. I don't think he was ever going to hit 30 goals during that contract, injuries or not. He was already over the hill.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was a 35+ contract, right? That was the biggest problem. He came nowhere close to living up to the ~$5 million he was getting paid each year. But the fact that we couldn't move the contract for any cap relief just made it worse. Had it not been a 35+, it would have been a bad contract, but there would have been a way out of it to lessen the blow.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When did I say if that package was under paying, over paying, or anywhere in between? I said IF that package could get Gionta, Lou would be able to get a better player or a more cap friendly hit for that same package.

I said Lou won't overpay for a sentimental pick in relation to what it costs to get a player to whom he does not have a sentimental tie. My 2nd post relates back to what I said in my first one. You are grasping and hoping I was commenting on your assessment of Gionta's value. Don't draw connections to my statements that don't exist, and twist what I say to support your argument. Inferring doesn't work out when there's nothing there.

If you would like me to, then I gladly will. If you think Tallinder, who has done little to impress anyone so far, and a defenseman who has yet to get a notable enough shot in the NHL is enough to convince Montreal to trade away their captain while they are among the best teams in the conference, then I would say don't quit your day job in hopes of getting a front office job in the NHL down the line. Throw in Zubrus like you potentially stated, and Montreal still hangs up the phone on you without responding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was a 35+ contract, right? That was the biggest problem. He came nowhere close to living up to the ~$5 million he was getting paid each year. But the fact that we couldn't move the contract for any cap relief just made it worse. Had it not been a 35+, it would have been a bad contract, but there would have been a way out of it to lessen the blow.

The whole trade was a fairy tale proposal. Just like many others fairy tale proposals over on that trade board. Don't get pissed at me. I'm not the GM, and I'm not making any moves. Some of you take this stuff so literally as if the people posting these are the actual GM's logging in on here.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i remember lou going on about how well rolston keeps himself in shape and and having no doubts that he can keep up his play when the contract was signed.

annnnnnd .....here's the ****.... http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/wrapping_up_a_busy_day/

Funny enough TG says the Devils overpaid a little for Rolston, and Holik. Though he also said he wouldn't have paid $6.5 million for Redden who was also signed that day by the Rangers! Also $9 million for Hossa was the Oilers offer? Wow seriously? I'm not sure what he wound up getting paid cause he only took a year deal that year.

'' I would not have given Wade Redden $6.5 million per season. I know some of you loved him, but you're about to get a close look at why the people in Ottawa (actually, all of Ontario) didn't like him.'' Haha we got a close look alright.

Oh and this quote was like exactly what happened even though Lou was joking.

"Maybe three years from now I will (be)," Lamoriello added, laughing, "But right now I'm not."

If Weiss don't cost too much, and Pete puts in a good word I think we might be able to sign him on July 1st or whatever day it starts this year. As long as it isn't for something ridiculous.

Last edited:

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
Not that I expect the Devils to anyway but I really hope we stay away from Weiss. I'm not even close to as big a fan of his as others are and it would probably cost too much (then again, the two teams probably aren't great trade partners anyway and he probably won't get traded as the division sucks and the Panthers are starting to win a bit more)

apice3*

Weiss, Fleischmann, now Bergenheim?

Why don't we just move to Sunrise while we're at it.

apice3*

According to McKenzie: Perry will not re-sign with Anaheim
(He was talking to Spector on Team 1260 in EDM)
Do it Lou !!!

Link or some kind of transcript? Although I understand that may be impossible to have right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad