Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The Sens have a problem, I could be wrong but aren't both JBD & Thomson eligible for waivers next yr? If that is the case & I think it is, than both could be lost on waivers next yr after training camp if the Sens try & return them to Belleville. I think the same applies to Sokolov. They either need to promote these guys between now & before next season or trade them.

There is no more time for seasoning, a decision needs to be made on these guys & they have several UFAs who could be replaced by these three guys. Watson, Holden, Motte, Brassard, Talbot & Hamonic are all UFAs & of the six I would re-sign Hamonic & maybe Talbot for a yr or two on a cheaper deal unless someone decides to give us a great return for them. It also makes room on the roster for Greig, if at least four of these guys are allowed to walk when their contracts expire.
I tend to agree with you. We should trade Watson, Holden, Motte, Brassard and Talbot if we can at the TDL and bring up the young prospects (JBD, Thomson, Sokolov, Greig) to give them an opportunity to show what they have got. I don't see any big gains from trading them though, probably lower then 3rd round draft picks.

Reactions: Bileur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, there are a few reasons that they might consider it.

• They're stacked at RD: Doughty, Durzi, Roy, Walker, Clarke, Spence. They may consider dealing a prospect from a position of strength, who might not get a real opportunity there, to address a weakness while keeping their draft picks.
Oh yeah, teams love giving up waiver exempt RHD. I see no reason they'd choose to move Grans right now.

• The West is wide open this year. LA is 4 points out of first, and that conference is going to be a crapshoot in the playoffs. They may very well want to do whatever they can to win a couple of rounds.
And you think Talbot is whatever they can do?seems they'd want something better.

• There aren't many goalies that will be available. Other than Talbot you probably have Reimer, Kahkonen, Korpisalo and maybe Allen?
Well Demko keeps getting brought up in the rumour mill. Vejmeka too.
• Talbot played the best hockey of his career under Todd McLennan.
I'm not sold on head coach having any significant impact on a goalie. I'm not seeing how reuniting them would be a recipe for success
Maybe if you add a depth player like Motte it makes it more enticing as well.
Probably not ...

We aren't getting anything of real value for Talbot imo, it's just not realistic, the only value I see is if we retain and take back Quick to open them up capspace, but then it's more about them paying to dump quick than paying for Talbot.

A third is probably all we can expect

Reactions: bert and Yak

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Beyond any discussion of what sort of meagre return that we can expect for Cam Talbot, I am curious about what the Senators plan to do to solve their goaltending for next season. They don't really have an internal option - this was supposed to be a big development season for Sogaard but he's been constantly injured and not that great when available to play. Rushing him into the NHL next season seems like an extremely poor idea.

Not much available on the free agent market by the looks of it. If you go into next season with Forsberg and somebody like Antti Raanta or Thomas Greiss or whatever, it almost feels like you're writing the year off before it even begins.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Beyond any discussion of what sort of meagre return that we can expect for Cam Talbot, I am curious about what the Senators plan to do to solve their goaltending for next season. They don't really have an internal option - this was supposed to be a big development season for Sogaard but he's been constantly injured and not that great when available to play. Rushing him into the NHL next season seems like an extremely poor idea.

Not much available on the free agent market by the looks of it. If you go into next season with Forsberg and somebody like Antti Raanta or Thomas Greiss or whatever, it almost feels like you're writing the year off before it even begins.

Freddy Andersen would be an interesting sign-low option, if he wants to go somewhere and at least platoon. Banking on him staying healthy is a huge gamble though.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Well scratch the Isles off the list as a potential DeBrincat destination should he not re-sign

Shame. He would have been a perfect fit there and the package they gave up for Horvat is pretty attractive.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I tend to agree with you. We should trade Watson, Holden, Motte, Brassard and Talbot if we can at the TDL and bring up the young prospects (JBD, Thomson, Sokolov, Greig) to give them an opportunity to show what they have got. I don't see any big gains from trading them though, probably lower then 3rd round draft picks.
Third/fourth/fifth rd draft picks are still better than nothing, right & they have had some success in the later rds before with late picks.

Reactions: Cosmix

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Oh yeah, teams love giving up waiver exempt RHD. I see no reason they'd choose to move Grans right now.

I mean, I just provided a potential reason.

They're 1 point out of their division lead (4 points out of the conference lead) despite getting the 3rd worst goaltending in the league this year. They may very well be thinking to themselves, "if we improve in net, we can make a bit of a run."

Talbot, while he's had some bad games, has had a .900+ SV% in 20 of 25 games this year. That's pretty good, especially in comparison to Quick, who's had just 9 .900 SV% games out of 24. Phoenix Copley, while having better numbers than Quick, has only ever played in 50 NHL games. Talbot has started 33 playoff games.

Grans, while a good prospect, is far down their depth chart and plays a position of strength for them. They may prefer trading him instead of a pick.

And yes, Demko would obviously be a much better acquisition, if he's available. But he's also going to cost WAY more than Helge Grans, who, depending on which list you look at, is their 5-10th best prospect. You're not getting Demko without giving up a good piece of your roster + picks + prospects.

Although sure, it might not be ideal in a 1:1. But like I said, maybe a Talbot (@50% retained) + Motte for Grans + a pick is something that's more doable. They improve in nets and add depth with playoff experience.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Freddy Andersen would be an interesting sign-low option, if he wants to go somewhere and at least platoon. Banking on him staying healthy is a huge gamble though.
I don't know that he's better than Talbot. Seems like he's probably being propped up in Carolina by playing behind a super strong defensive/possession team.

Seems like a decent case can be made for just re-upping Talbot for a year or two, especially if the return is just a 3rd or 4th round pick. The team already has a number of holes and no real trade assets to address them, so I'd prefer to avoid making even more trouble if possible.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean, I just provided a potential reason.

They're 1 point out of their division lead (4 points out of the conference lead) despite getting the 3rd worst goaltending in the league this year. They may very well be thinking to themselves, "if we improve in net, we can make a bit of a run."

Talbot, while he's had some bad games, has had a .900+ SV% in 20 of 25 games this year. That's pretty good, especially in comparison to Quick, who's had just 9 .900 SV% games out of 24. Phoenix Copley, while having better numbers than Quick, has only ever played in 50 NHL games. Talbot has started 33 playoff games.

Grans, while a good prospect, is far down their depth chart and plays a position of strength. They may prefer trading him instead of a pick.

And yes, Demko would obviously be a much better acquisition, if he's available. But he's also going to cost WAY more than Helge Grans, who, depending on which list you look at, is their 5-10th best prospect.
I'm not saying Grans or another D isn't expendable, but the value is off, there's no rush to move him now either since he's still waiver exempt for another 2 years, so they'd have to get a really strong offer to entice them,

Do they have incentive to improve, sure. Is Talbot as a rental the move they should make? Doubtful imo, they either believe in Copley or want a longer term solution. Goalies don't tend to cost a lot so why settle for Talbot?

I just don't see us getting more than a third for Talbot, we bought high on him and are selling low, hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't know that he's better than Talbot. Seems like he's probably being propped up in Carolina by playing behind a super strong defensive/possession team.

Seems like a decent case can be made for just re-upping Talbot for a year or two, especially if the return is just a 3rd or 4th round pick. The team already has a number of holes and no real trade assets to address them, so I'd prefer to avoid making even more trouble if possible.
Unless we decide to get a top 4 RD using the salary and cap dollars while going with a cheap ELC goaltender or old pro.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not saying Grans or another D isn't expendable, but the value is off, there's no rush to move him now either since he's still waiver exempt for another 2 years, so they'd have to get a really strong offer to entice them,

Do they have incentive to improve, sure. Is Talbot as a rental the move they should make? Doubtful imo, they either believe in Copley or want a longer term solution. Goalies don't tend to cost a lot so why settle for Talbot?

I just don't see us getting more than a third for Talbot, we bought high on him and are selling low, hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it.
What about a different kind of offer for Grans like Thomson & Jarventie, something along the lines of good prospects with some potential & maybe add a pick, if required. Of course, the move doesn't help them right now.

What about Joseph & Talbot for Grans? Both players could help right now or let them choose any two of Watson, Motte, Brassard, Gambrell, Kelly, Joseph, Holden, Zaitsev, Brannstrom, Talbot or Hamonic?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What about a different kind of offer for Grans like Thomson & Jarventie, something along the lines of good prospects with some potential & maybe add a pick, if required. Of course, the move doesn't help them right now.
Well they won't want to replace a waiver exempt RHD for a waiver eligible one, they'd probably do Kleven+ though.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
As much as I want to get assets for our FA's, if we can make a hockey trade so that we have some semblance of security for next season ,I'd prefer that.

Roy is very valuable to the Kings. I'd see if they'd bite on us retaining 50% on Holden & Talbot, Donovan and this years 2nd. Matt Roy on our roster next year is far more valuable than a 3rd and a 6th that we might get from Holden & Talbot. The 2nd and Donovanwould be giving the Kings assets to address any other need they might have.

Start the convo with a serious offer for Roy (could be something completely different than what I put up) and try to get someone who can help us next year

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well they won't want to replace a waiver exempt RHD for a waiver eligible one, they'd probably do Kleven+ though.
Hey, guess what happened to me at the NYI game last week. Remember when my kids had to help me put tickets on my phone, well a buddy transfrerred me tickets for the NYI game. WHAT A STRESSFUL TIME I HAD WITH THAT! Oops sorry. I could get the tickets saved to my phone & of course because of that I couldn't get the Qcode to show up. I spent 20 minutes at the Sens plex trying to get this Qcode to show up without success. It wouldn't come up in the Ticketmaster wallet or the google wallet or my pocket wallet, although I have other tickets there for a Feb game.

Then all of a sudden the Qcode magically shows up on the phone for the parking which got me into the parking lot but the tickets Qcode still wouldn't show up. I had to go to the box office & spent 20 minutes there with the girl & her manager & some other guy showed up maybe an IT guy & there we were all four of us trying to get this thing to show up. Finally the manager made an executive decision to print tickets which set me off because that's what I have always wanted paper tickets. haha thought you would like that one. Of course, my buddy had a flip phone ... !@#$%^&*(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Hey, guess what happened to me at the NYI game last week. Remember when my kids had to help me put tickets on my phone, well a buddy transfrerred me tickets for the NYI game. WHAT A STRESSFUL TIME I HAD WITH THAT! Oops sorry. I could get the tickets saved to my phone & of course because of that I couldn't get the Qcode to show up. I spent 20 minutes at the Sens plex trying to get this Qcode to show up without success. It wouldn't come up in the Ticketmaster wallet or the google wallet or my pocket wallet, although I have other tickets there for a Feb game.

Then all of a sudden the Qcode magically shows up on the phone for the parking which got me into the parking lot but the tickets Qcode still wouldn't show up. I had to go to the box office & spent 20 minutes there with the girl & her manager & some other guy showed up maybe an IT guy & there we were all four of us trying to get this thing to show up. Finally the manager made an executive decision to print tickets which set me off because that's what I have always wanted paper tickets. haha thought you would like that one. Of course, my buddy had a flip phone ... !@#$%^&*(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()
I have had similar experiences with QR code tickets. I can relate!

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

My son bought him and I tickets to the recent Senators-Jets game. We had Front Row A seats at the opponents end of the ice at the face-off circles in front of the goal. Great view of that end of the ice but no view of the other end. Had to watch the TV view on the scoreboard for the other end and then remember to switch to live view when the play came into our end of the ice. Got a sore neck that night. :)

I also don't trust e-Tickets. My son had the tickets on his phone, so I was not stressed but did have some anxiety about whether they would work. They did.

When I travel I use Google maps but always carry paper maps too. :)

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Because its easier to find a backup goalie to sit on the bench and run with Forsberg for the remainder 33 games than possibly getting a top 4 dman if that's what we are actually targeting from LA.

Also because he is a 36 year old UFA that isn't part of this future and if we could get something valuable for him that addresses one of our biggest weaknesses then you have to do it.

Talbot+Holden for Matt Roy?

Except we're not getting anything good for Talbot.

Maybe a 5th round pick or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad