Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Is Severson from NJ Ottawa's target in the offseason?
He isnt really the type of D man they need. He is an offensive puck mover. They need a physical shut down guy that is hard to play against. I know thats not easy to find, but I dont think he should be the target. He would make the team better but unless they have other plans he isnt really the fit.

It really sucks that we lost Formenton for nothing because he was this player.

Looking at this purely from his on-ice contributions to the Sens.
He is exactly what the team is missing right now. His ability to turn nothing into something is seriously lacking on this team. He scored alot of momentum changing goals at even strength and short handed. Shame he is done with this organization. Even if he comes back the way they threw him under the bus I doubt he ever considers it. Maybe if Dorion is gone he will.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We have every reason to think Formenton is a scumbag of the highest order.

We don't know that he is, but considering how valuable he is to this team, that we just didn't bother to even try to sign him makes it pretty clear the organization thinks he did it.

Unless he is publically cleared of wrongdoing, he is never coming back to the NHL.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We have every reason to think Formenton is a scumbag of the highest order.

We don't know that he is, but considering how valuable he is to this team, that we just didn't bother to even try to sign him makes it pretty clear the organization thinks he did it.

Unless he is publically cleared of wrongdoing, he is never coming back to the NHL.
There were 5 guys in that hotel room that participated. 4 of them are still playing, 4 of them had contracts. Until the report comes out if ever then we will know. But its pretty obvious the contract situation was a big part of why he isnt in the league right now. He should have signed his QO he got bad advice.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
From my perspective, if I was choosing a player for the long term, I'd choose Batherson.

The reasons:

We already know what we've got. He's a better all around player, despite the anomaly of this season. He's better defensively than DeBrincat.​
He's a bigger player than DeBrincat. He gets pushed off the puck less, and when he's actually forechecking it is effective.​
He's a more cost effective choice. In a league where we need centres and high scoring wingers are a like to have. We already have the a winger signed for a reasonable cost in Batherson. I do not want to overpay for DeBrincat.​

He's having a terrible season and still have over 40pts. I wouldn't call Batherson useless.
Why is it you think Batherson is better defensively than debrincat. There’s nothing to tell you this. Only things to tell you the opposite.

It’s not like Batherson was good defensively before this year.

Debrincat is a legitimately good defensively. Not “he’s good for a scorer”. He’s just good. The ONLY anomaly in this entire situation is debrincat not scoring 40 goals this year lol.

When you have a guy capable of scoring 40 And playing strong defence. You sign him.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Ideally I don't trade Bath or Cat, I fire DJ and hope for the best. We severely lack depth and could use both of them.

Having said that, Dorion has not spine and won't axe DJ. I'd keep Bath just because his contract is too valuable to move. Cat is a alot better than Batherson defensively, especially this season but him being that much better doesn't warrant the additional $3.5 million that it would cost to extend him. His offense isn't better enough than Bath to warrant keeping him as well.

If there's a gun to my head, I'd rather see us retain half on Cat and see what we can get back. A team like Dallas is looking for an upgrade to go for a deep run now that Benn isn't playing shite. I'd see if we can offer Cat at 50% retained for a package surrounding some depth and prospects. Maybe Cat for Faksa, Kirivanta, LD prospect Thomas Harley, and a conditional 2nd that turns into a 1st if Cat extends.

Maybe Seattle wants a potential star winger and is willing to offer a 1st rounder, someone like Schwartz who is a great two way winger and has a ring, and a prospect or one of their numerous 2nd rounders.

Reactions: NB613

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Batherson has just given up on DJ. It's amazing most of the other guys haven't followed suite. How can you go out there every night doing the same thing knowing your going to lose.

I think Batherson, under a new coach, can inspire him back to his PPG pace. The guy just needs some motivation and right now there is ZERO motivation in this franchise.
Well it says a lot abut a guy if he gives up playing well and hard if he doesn't like the coach. What about playing for your teammates?

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Why is it you think Batherson is better defensively than debrincat. There’s nothing to tell you this. Only things to tell you the opposite.

It’s not like Batherson was good defensively before this year.

Debrincat is a legitimately good defensively. Not “he’s good for a scorer”. He’s just good. The ONLY anomaly in this entire situation is debrincat not scoring 40 goals this year lol.

When you have a guy capable of scoring 40 And playing strong defence. You sign him.
I've not seen DeBrincat playing good defence. I don't think his overall NHL stats suggest it either.

He has 40 points on one of the worst teams in the League. It doesn't mean much.
He currently has a point more than the guy some here want to pay $9-million.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Then you ain’t watching. Debrincat is the best defensively of all the top 6 Norris excluded.
I am watching and I'm not seeing it. I would say Norris aside, Stützle is turning into the best defensive top-six we have. Grieg could be in the future. DeBrincat has spurts where I am like, oh, this is the 40-goal scorer who dominates in all facets of the game. He also has spurts where he is easily picked, easily knocked off the puck and listless.

Reactions: DJB and NB613

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He isnt really the type of D man they need. He is an offensive puck mover. They need a physical shut down guy that is hard to play against. I know thats not easy to find, but I dont think he should be the target. He would make the team better but unless they have other plans he isnt really the fit.

He is exactly what the team is missing right now. His ability to turn nothing into something is seriously lacking on this team. He scored alot of momentum changing goals at even strength and short handed. Shame he is done with this organization. Even if he comes back the way they threw him under the bus I doubt he ever considers it. Maybe if Dorion is gone he will.
Ok, good to know. I remember reading something that Severson has played in that defensive role while still contributing…I think he is on the 3rd pair now?

Reactions: bicboi64

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Next years lineup starting to shape us as:

Tkachuk-Stützle-Joseph
Debrincat-Norris-Giroux
Grieg-Pinto-Batherson
Kelly-Kastelic-Motte

That seems like a pretty balanced forward corps when healthy! With new systems and Debrincat returning to normal scoring %s… watch out. If we can upgrade Kelly/Katelic with cheap FAs then great.

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-TBD
Bränstrom-JBD

If we can acquire a RHD (free agency or using all available draft picks and players outside these line projections) to slot in with Chabot on the 2nd pair next year, we are ready to play meaningful games in November next year!!

Talbot
Forsberg

Think we go with same goalies as this year, and reasonable for a bounceback with a better defensive system in place via new coaching staff. Also think Talbot will be cheaper to re-sign than to trade or get another in FA.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

Tkachuk-Stützle-Joseph
Debrincat-Norris-Giroux
Grieg-Pinto-Batherson
Kelly-Kastelic-Motte

That seems like a pretty balanced forward corps when healthy! With new systems and Debrincat returning to normal scoring %s… watch out. If we can upgrade Kelly/Katelic with cheap FAs then great.

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-TBD
Bränstrom-JBD

If we can acquire a RHD (free agency or using all available draft picks and players outside these line projections) to slot in with Chabot on the 2nd pair next year, we are ready to play meaningful games in November next year!!

Talbot
Forsberg

Think we go with same goalies as this year, and reasonable for a bounceback with a better defensive system in place via new coaching staff. Also think Talbot will be cheaper to re-sign than to trade or get another in FA.
I post roster's with salaries in here somewhat frequently. I just posted a roster in another thread (Batherson or Debrincat Longterm) that keeps Debrincat, signs Pinto to a 10.2.c contract and adds a $6 m RD.

IMHO, the defense is probably 2 players away from being solid. I like the idea of trying Sanderson & Zub as our top pair. But, then we need a good RD to pair with Chabout, and imho, a better LD on the 3rd pair to play with JBD. Hopefully the 3rd pair LD would have some size and play a solid defensive & physical game.

They could do that, but they'd have to save some money at another position like the 2nd goalie.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
LA have less than 300k of deadline cap space right now. Even at 50% retained they'd have to send money back to fit Talbot in.
Are you sure, maybe my back of the napkin math is off, but Talbot at 50% is ~1.8, subtract Copely who they can waive and bury and you have a ~1 mil in net contract to add, which by the deadline would need about 250k in space,

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Tkachuk-Stützle-Joseph
Debrincat-Norris-Giroux
Grieg-Pinto-Batherson
Kelly-Kastelic-Motte

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-TBD
Bränstrom-JBD

Talbot
Forsberg

Decent roster IF we can get two competent RDs.

I would like to add Formenton to the roster next season.

We played "meaningful" games in October and November 2022. The wheels fell off in November and the team was well behind other bubble teams competing for a playoff spot. The goal is play meaningful games in March, April and May which means competing for a playoff spot and participating in the playoffs.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't like the idea of having Zub with Sanderson, they need someone who is going to go after anyone who tries to take out Sanderson which is what I like about Hamonic, he doesn't hesitate & goes right after the guy. Zub isn't going to stand up for anyone, he's a good RD but he isn't a fighter, they need a couple of guys especially one on defence who will protect their young stars. It's the main reason I like Scott Mayfield RD & would like to see the Sens go after him.

Reactions: Yak

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Are you sure, maybe my back of the napkin math is off, but Talbot at 50% is ~1.8, subtract Copely who they can waive and bury and you have a ~1 mil in net contract to add, which by the deadline would need about 250k in space,
i think the plan is to go with copley and new goalie. If quick goes to robidas island then it can work but at the same time i dont knowif they do that with quick since he has been there his whole career

I don't like the idea of having Zub with Sanderson, they need someone who is going to go after anyone who tries to take out Sanderson which is what I like about Hamonic, he doesn't hesitate & goes right after the guy. Zub isn't going to stand up for anyone, he's a good RD but he isn't a fighter, they need a couple of guys especially one on defence who will protect their young stars. It's the main reason I like Scott Mayfield RD & would like to see the Sens go after him.

Honest question, has anyone tried to go after Sanderson where Hamonic has even felt the need to step in? Sanderson is 6'3 and 200 pounds give or take so he isnt a slouch either

For reference Hamonic is 6'2 and 200 pounds give or take

Im all for getting a physical dman and mayfield is a good option but the logic that Sanderson needs the protection seems flawed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad