Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
i think the plan is to go with copley and new goalie. If quick goes to robidas island then it can work but at the same time i dont knowif they do that with quick since he has been there his whole career

Honest question, has anyone tried to go after Sanderson where Hamonic has even felt the need to step in? Sanderson is 6'3 and 200 pounds give or take so he isnt a slouch either

For reference Hamonic is 6'2 and 200 pounds give or take

Im all for getting a physical dman and mayfield is a good option but the logic that Sanderson needs the protection seems flawed
Yes, several times & Hamonic stepped in just like he is suppose to. Sanderson is a young kid & not a fighter, he needs a vet to look out for him. Zub is a good player & Hamonic is starting to get long in the tooth but we need another player like him, hopefully Kleven will be a little more like Hamonic.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Why would we do that? With injuries and trades, we don't have enough goalies to fill our roster here and Belleville as it is.

Because its easier to find a backup goalie to sit on the bench and run with Forsberg for the remainder 33 games than possibly getting a top 4 dman if that's what we are actually targeting from LA.

Also because he is a 36 year old UFA that isn't part of this future and if we could get something valuable for him that addresses one of our biggest weaknesses then you have to do it.

Talbot+Holden for Matt Roy?

Reactions: bicboi64

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Because its easier to find a backup goalie to sit on the bench and run with Forsberg for the remainder 33 games than possibly getting a top 4 dman if that's what we are actually targeting from LA.

Also because he is a 36 year old UFA that isn't part of this future and if we could get something valuable for him that addresses one of our biggest weaknesses then you have to do it.

Talbot+Holden for Matt Roy?
Awul for LA

Craig Anderson + 7th D for Zub would be the closest Sens comparable trade to what you just proposed

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This only really makes sense if they can find a way to jettison Zaitsev in the off-season without taking cap back, but I'd be open to something along these lines:

Cam Talbot + Nick Holden for Sean Walker + David Hrenak + Conditional Pick (changes depending on how far the Kings go in the playoffs).

Kings add a couple of veterans who plug holes on their roster (1A/B goalie and 3rd pairing veteran LHD) while Ottawa gets their RHD signed for another season and an ECHL/AHL body in nets to add organizational depth behind Sogaard/Mando.

Next season the D would look something like this:

Chabot - JBD
Sandy - Zub
Brannstrom - Walker
Thompson/Vet/PTO

Depending on what they do to replace Talbot in net there could also be money leftover to make a splash assuming the org doesn't think JBD/Thompson are ready.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Sens have a problem, I could be wrong but aren't both JBD & Thomson eligible for waivers next yr? If that is the case & I think it is, than both could be lost on waivers next yr after training camp if the Sens try & return them to Belleville. I think the same applies to Sokolov. They either need to promote these guys between now & before next season or trade them.

There is no more time for seasoning, a decision needs to be made on these guys & they have several UFAs who could be replaced by these three guys. Watson, Holden, Motte, Brassard, Talbot & Hamonic are all UFAs & of the six I would re-sign Hamonic & maybe Talbot for a yr or two on a cheaper deal unless someone decides to give us a great return for them. It also makes room on the roster for Greig, if at least four of these guys are allowed to walk when their contracts expire.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The Sens have a problem, I could be wrong but aren't both JBD & Thomson eligible for waivers next yr? If that is the case & I think it is, than both could be lost on waivers next yr after training camp if the Sens try & return them to Belleville. I think the same applies to Sokolov. They either need to promote these guys between now & before next season or trade them.

There is no more time for seasoning, a decision needs to be made on these guys & they have several UFAs who could be replaced by these three guys. Watson, Holden, Motte, Brassard, Talbot & Hamonic are all UFAs & of the six I would re-sign Hamonic & maybe Talbot for a yr or two on a cheaper deal unless someone decides to give us a great return for them. It also makes room on the roster for Greig, if at least four of these guys are allowed to walk when their contracts expire.
I think Thomson is still waivers eligible next season

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That solves one problem. Sokolov, JBD & Lodin are not though, right? And Crookshank has another yr of being waivers exempt too, right?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
That solves one problem. Sokolov, JBD & Lodin are not though, right? And Crookshank has another yr of being waivers exempt too, right?

Capfriendly has Thomson, JBD and Sokolov as needing waivers starting in 2023-24, Crookshank looks to have an extra (2) years eligibility while Lodin has 1.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure if you just misspoke and meant exempt, but Thomson is no longer exempt next year, same with JBD and Sokolov, all three will require waivers according to capfriendly

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It looks to me that Thomson & Crookshank both have another yr of being exempt but JBD, Lodin & Sokolov do not. Which is it?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
i think the plan is to go with copley and new goalie. If quick goes to robidas island then it can work but at the same time i dont knowif they do that with quick since he has been there his whole career

Honest question, has anyone tried to go after Sanderson where Hamonic has even felt the need to step in? Sanderson is 6'3 and 200 pounds give or take so he isnt a slouch either

For reference Hamonic is 6'2 and 200 pounds give or take

Im all for getting a physical dman and mayfield is a good option but the logic that Sanderson needs the protection seems flawed
If Forsberg can continue the level of play he's had the last string, I think he's the guy next year. Might make more sense to just get him a backup and ride him.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Would be amazing if we could work out a deal involving Talbot + for Roy + Quick

Would probably need Hamonic going the other way as a replacement RD, with picks/prospects added on the Sens side.

Eg. Talbot, Hamonic, 2nd for Roy, Quick

Although maybe Talbot's struggles in 2023 will dampen his trade value after performing very well earlier in the season.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
If Forsberg can continue the level of play he's had the last string, I think he's the guy next year. Might make more sense to just get him a backup and ride him.
Yep, especially because many were saying the exact same thing after last season. Forsberg was great for us. Frankly, not sure why we didn’t just go with forsberg and Gus. Talbot seemed unnecessary (particularly so in hindsight).

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Would probably need Hamonic going the other way as a replacement RD, with picks/prospects added on the Sens side.

Eg. Talbot, Hamonic, 2nd for Roy, Quick

Although maybe Talbot's struggles in 2023 will dampen his trade value after performing very well earlier in the season.

I don't think there's a scenario where LA moves Roy this season. He's cemented in their top 4, and the dropoff to Walker is large.

The guy they want to move is Walker.

Reactions: NB613 and Sensators

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd happily do Talbot for Quick + Helge Grans.

Or Talbot @50% retained (if they want to keep Quick) for Helge Grans straight up.
Sure, that would great. Always good to add a waiver exempt prospect

The problem I see is there isn't a lot of insensitive for them to pay that much for Talbot...

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I would imagine that the trade value of a league average, 36 year old backup/1B is probably a mid-round pick. Looking back at recent deadlines, I'd say a 3rd rounder is probably near the high-end for what you could expect to get.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Sure, that would great. Always good to add a waiver exempt prospect

The problem I see is there isn't a lot of insensitive for them to pay that much for Talbot...

Well, there are a few reasons that they might consider it.

• They're stacked at RD: Doughty, Durzi, Roy, Walker, Clarke, Spence. They may consider dealing a prospect from a position of strength, who might not get a real opportunity there, to address a weakness while keeping their draft picks.

• The West is wide open this year. LA is 4 points out of first, and that conference is going to be a crapshoot in the playoffs. They may very well want to do whatever they can to win a couple of rounds.

• There aren't many goalies that will be available. Other than Talbot you probably have Reimer, Kahkonen, Korpisalo and maybe Allen?

• Talbot played the best hockey of his career under Todd McLennan.

Maybe if you add a depth player like Motte it makes it more enticing as well.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yep, especially because many were saying the exact same thing after last season. Forsberg was great for us. Frankly, not sure why we didn’t just go with forsberg and Gus. Talbot seemed unnecessary (particularly so in hindsight).
I agree. I did not like the trade of Gustavsson for Talbot.

I think we should use the salary dollars and cap space to find a true top 4 RD and then get a coaching staff that can put in place a stronger overall system to reduce the shots against. By "overall system" I mean one which includes an aggressive forecheck to gain and maintain puck possession in the O zone and closer defensive play in the N and D zones to reduce shots against. Boucher had a D system that did achieve something even though the roster of players he had was not great.

I would like to see a HC who would hold players accountable for their poor D play, such as benching or scratching those who continue to make stupid risky plays (e.g., Batherson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad