Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's possible they gave him a budgetary hard line and carte blanche underneath it.

I hope not. Even small money trade can cause significant damage.

I mean, in the business world, once a CEO or other bigwig puts in their notice, they lose all access to the company inner workings. I don't see why you'd allow what is essentially a lame duck GM the ability to make any moves that could affect the team.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Matt Roy sounds like a very no nonsense responsible right hand D name

Would be so much better than every other name mentioned. I have no idea why LA would let him go, but it would be awesome if they did.

Not sure what it takes to get him, but if it's a 1st it would have to be very well protected and highly conditional. More like a 2nd + another pick + Thompson/Kleven.

But he's on a great deal and our D would be set with Zub, Roy, and JBD on the right side for the next couple of years.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
"Even you". Lol, love it. That was my least favourite Dorion move, so I'm not likely to ever speak highly of it.

Is it though? Pinto is not as highly touted as Zbad was, but in this hypothetical, you have a big, young, budding center with a big payday looming on the runway being dealt with a + for a veteran approaching 30 for a team looking to turn the corner/take the next step, or what have you. Using an area of strength and a young asset potentially deemed expendable for a position of weakness being filled with an imperfect solution mostly based on resume. We were a bubble team then and are at best a bubble team now, albeit younger now and in the midst of a full rebuild instead of a soft rebuild/retool.

That said, I agree, I doubt we see Pinto moved, especially for a guy like Dumba that's aging, in need of a contract likely to be inflated from resume, and has fallen out of favor on his current team.
I didn’t mean it as a slight, I know you hated the deal is all.

Zib was a question mark at the time in terms of his effort and focus and we were in a win right now mode with EKs deal coming up. Just not at all the same situation team-wise as we’re not at all in a win-now mode (not weighing in on the logic, just stating that that was the mindset from management/ownership), we’re in a climb the standings and threaten to battle for a wildcard spot mode as the kids continue to develop.

Pinto is a highly touted rookie that the team loves, he hasn’t been around long enough to start to disappoint, or look like he might not reach his potential. He’s not at all in the same situation that Zib was at the time of the trade, and if he was, the team likely holds on to him regardless because he teams aren’t in the same situation.

No way we trade Pinto for anyone rumoured to be available, let alone Dumba.

Reactions: NB613

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Would be so much better than every other name mentioned. I have no idea why LA would let him go, but it would be awesome if they did.

Not sure what it takes to get him, but if it's a 1st it would have to be very well protected and highly conditional. More like a 2nd + another pick + Thompson/Kleven.

But he's on a great deal and our D would be set with Zub, Roy, and JBD on the right side for the next couple of years.
Their cap situation doesn't look too hot. 13 players signed for next year, $70M committed in cap space. Roy's got 1 more year on his deal before he hits UFA, they might just need some ELCs and/or draft picks to help balance out the costlier parts of the roster.

Reactions: NB613

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Matt Roy is exactly what this team needs, would be a huge and unexpected Dorion win if we acquire him. I'd give up Pinto for someone like Roy over Dumba any day of the week.

If St.Louis falls out the playoff race in the next little while and Dorion feels like he needs to make a move, Parayko is another defender I'd be comfortable moving Pinto for (for the record, I don't want to move Pinto at all right now unless its a clear home run like getting rid of Zaitsev in a Pinto deal for Parayko).

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
From a recent trade proposal thread:

1674221397461.png

Kings fans are pretty reluctant to move him for the same reasons we'd be leery about moving Zub.

Second pairing defencemen who don't score a lot of points are so undervalued cap-wise that they are basically gold to the teams that have them.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If only he could get his shots off closer to the net. 116 shot attempts. 59 blocked. One time, one of his rushes won't end up with a shot outside of the circles and a puck out of play.

If anything Brannstrom gets too much leash for the offense he generates but then again if he isn't providing offense, what is he providing?
He can move the puck out of the D zone by skating with it and making passes. Some of our other D cannot do that. And some are too slow to get to the puck before opposing forwards.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

LA needs physical LD (Kleven) or elite goaltending prospect (Merilainen).

It is Kleven or Merilainen plus 2nd round pick

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I didn’t mean it as a slight, I know you hated the deal is all.

Zib was a question mark at the time in terms of his effort and focus and we were in a win right now mode with EKs deal coming up. Just not at all the same situation team-wise as we’re not at all in a win-now mode (not weighing in on the logic, just stating that that was the mindset from management/ownership), we’re in a climb the standings and threaten to battle for a wildcard spot mode as the kids continue to develop.

Pinto is a highly touted rookie that the team loves, he hasn’t been around long enough to start to disappoint, or look like he might not reach his potential. He’s not at all in the same situation that Zib was at the time of the trade, and if he was, the team likely holds on to him regardless because he teams aren’t in the same situation.

No way we trade Pinto for anyone rumoured to be available, let alone Dumba.
I don't think he was a question mark or as in dire need of a situation change as you portray, he obviously just needed more time imo and it's as simple as that. He was a young developing player like Pinto that one day Dorion was on radio saying he's the #1C of the future and his most exciting prospect and the next minute he's dealt despite putting up good numbers in a small role. In one sense, He also likes music and to party apparently, so does Brady and every other 19 year old. Dorion was right that he was a #1C, so kudos to him identifying that, he just didn't have the required patience, or, like you say, he knew he wasn't keeping the band together and thought it was the right decision. We all make mistakes, but I don't believe the context you claim makes much difference to calling it a poor decision.

I'll give you that they were further away from their soft rebuild than we are now, but the urgency to compete is similar and the quality of the bubble teams they were rolling out were at least comparable to what we see this year.

That all said, I also doubt they trade Pinto and my original comment was just for a laugh that landed us here, but having Norris and Stutzle ahead of him and a relatively short runway to his big payday, I worry Dorion could see it as a position to draw from to add a Dman. For the right guy, I'd actually be okay with that, but ya, definitely shouldn't ever even be in consideration for a player like Dumba, even with an extension attached.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If we're counting the days to an ownership change, why do we think Dorion has the green light to make any trades?
Well he's not going to save his job not doing anything. I will assume that if he gets a trade done without increasing costs, the board will likely allow it.

There are tickets to be sold and all the good will built up over the summer is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki